The Triple Choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MINDOFMYOWN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Might sound like a bad note among ye Mcleans and Penns but I really need help in deciding my first three choices(Psych Programs)- UT Houston, Wayne State/DMC Detroit and U Conn Farmington. Will appreciate any inputs....

...and please don't ask me to use mind of my own........I have used enough of that already... :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

MINDOFMYOWN said:
Might sound like a bad note among ye Mcleans and Penns but I really need help in deciding my first three choices(Psych Programs)- UT Houston, Wayne State/DMC Detroit and U Conn Farmington. Will appreciate any inputs....

...and please don't ask me to use mind of my own........I have used enough of that already... :confused:

The BOTTOM LINE:
For the next four years, and possibly beyond, do you want to live in:
Houston (sweaty, stinky, steamy),
Detroit (chilly, scary, seamy),
or Farmington, CT (sorry, have no adjectives--never been there--what would you say?)?

OldPsychDoc said:
The BOTTOM LINE:
For the next four years, and possibly beyond, do you want to live in:
Houston (sweaty, stinky, steamy),
Detroit (chilly, scary, seamy),
or Farmington, CT (sorry, have no adjectives--never been there--what would you say?)?

Ah... very funny.... :rolleyes: aren't ur adjectives a little subjective and unnecessary....it won't matter to me whether its steamy or chilly or whatever as long as i get a good training..... anyone with genuine and substantial input about these programs please.....???

Members don't see this ad :)
MINDOFMYOWN said:
Ah... very funny.... :rolleyes: aren't ur adjectives a little subjective and unnecessary....it won't matter to me whether its steamy or chilly or whatever as long as i get a good training..... anyone with genuine and substantial input about these programs please.....???

Texas has NO commitment to state funding for education or health care.

Michigan is really struggling, but the current governor just completed review of their mental health system by a Blue Ribbon commission, so there's some commitment at the top anyway. She has to work with a conservative legislature that tends to be very anti-Detroit, though.

CT I don't know--but I've heard it's danged expensive to live there.

Remember that wherever you go , a substantial number of your clients come from the public (e.e "indigent") sector, and the political climates in those states WILL affect your ability to provide services for your patients.

MINDOFMYOWN said:

There are several things to consider. What type of career are you planning to pursue? Are you more interested in research or clinical work? Public, private, academic? Where are you looking to practice after completion of residency?

If you are interested in research or academic program; then I would look at what's already going on at each program and with whom you might be able to work with regarding your area of interest.

If you are thinking about straight clinical medicine, particularly in private sector; it is sometimes a good idea to train in nearby programs as it is much easier to make contacts through residency training.

If you are already interested in pursuing a particular fellowship; then you might want to consider which are offerred at each program if having to relocate for 1-2 years is unappealing.

For me, it came down to 4 programs I had a hard time deciding between. I did not finalized my list until the night before it was due because of this. In the end; I based my decision on location and fellowship opportunities. I was planning on pursuing practice in the area of the program I ultimately decided on. As a current second year; I feel that being local has helped tremendously in making contacts.

Hope this helps...