The truth about the profession...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabe87

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, new here and wanted to get some information as I am very interested in the mental health field/counseling. I'm just trying to gather some information from those who are currently practicing or that have experience in the mental health industry, I apologize if any of my questions have been asked before but feel free to answer or omit any questions you want.

The Good?

1. What made you decide to get into the mental health and counseling industry ?

2. What defines a great day at work for you, and how often would you describe your day as being great?

3. What are some things that you would never change about your position/career?

4. What is the most gratifying part of the job (the answer seems obvious to me, but I wanted real perspectives)?

The Bad?

5. What is the worst part of each workday?

6. What is the most difficult part of your job?

7. If applicable, why would you not choose to go into this career if you could go back?

8. If applicable, how does your career differ from what you originally thought it would like?

The Ugly?

9. What are the worst realities of this industry, what are the biggest problems in the mental health industry from your perspective?

10. What are some of the biggest problems and challenges that you personally deal with everyday?

11. What are some things that you wish someone would have told you about this industry? (could be good, bad or ugly...)

12. What are some things you wish would change in the mental health industry?

Other:

13. What direction do you feel that the mental health industry is headed in the future?

14. What honest advice would you give to someone interested in going into the mental health industry?

15. What percentage on average would you say that patients are open and ready for change and what percentage would you say just never put forth the needed work and effort to change? What do you think causes the patient to resist changing? (Just seems to me like this may be one of the potentially frustrating aspects to the career, but definitely does not deter me.)

Sorry for playing 20 questions here, I hope it is okay for me to ask so many at once, I am just trying to gather as much information as I can. This has been an industry that I have been interested in for quite a while, but these questions have always been in the back of my mind.

Thank you for any information and help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.