The Under 3.0 Club part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Your AADSAS GPA is rounded to the hundredths place. From everyone I've talked to, you'll be fine to wait. Just don't wait until you take the DAT. By the end of August is as late as you want to push it.

Members don't see this ad.

New to the forum, but not to under 3.0!!!!
Reading everyone's stories I'm not giving up until I retire from a dental practice!:laugh::thumbup:

When we're talking about taking post-bac, do we mean any post-bac classes or the post-bac program? I'm confused when everyone talks about taking post-bac then reapply to D-school.

I took DAT a year ago and did ok. If I will be taking post-bac and reapply, can I keep the previous DAT scores or I have to take it again? What kind of classes should I take?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are in a master's program and complete upper level undergrad courses as part of your program, do those go toward your grad gpa or would they go under the undergrad gpa?

I am from Indiana. I am going to be a senior at the University of Notre Dame. I went to Holy Cross College for one year and have a science GPA of 3.28 (24cred) and a science GPA at Notre Dame of 2.4 (22 cred). I am a double major of Finance and Pre-Dental. I am planning on applying to Indiana, Marquette, and Detroit Mercy (perhaps more?). I have not taken the DAT yet but I will in a month. If I score around 19-20ish, do you guys think I have a chance?

Do you think that schools give any type of boost for me since I go to school with all over achievers which make the grade curve difficult? Please let me know. Thanx

When we're talking about taking post-bac, do we mean any post-bac classes or the post-bac program? I'm confused when everyone talks about taking post-bac then reapply to D-school.

Post-bac are any classes you take after earning a Bachelor degree. It can be in a formal program or just on your own.

I took DAT a year ago and did ok. If I will be taking post-bac and reapply, can I keep the previous DAT scores or I have to take it again? What kind of classes should I take?

If you scored well on the DAT and didn't get an interview because of a poor GPA then I would just work on bringing up the GPA. DAT 20+ and I wouldn't bother with the DAT again. I'm not sure how long the DAT is good for after you take it... I think 4 yrs. Reapply and resubmit the old scores. You can find how to resubmit the scores on the ADA website.

As far as what classes to take post-bac, it really depends on what you took in undergrad. Most d-schools say take as much advance sciences as possible. Look at the website for the schools you are considering and it will list suggested classes. I know biochem, anatomy, histology, small business classes, and even sculpture are listed as suggested classes for most schools. Even if you have a science degree, it can help to re-take the classes again to keep you fresh on the subject and earn an easy A.

most d-schools only accept DAT scores that are like one or two years old...not more than that...just a lil FYI:thumbup:

I was reading through some of the older posts and wondering if anyone else here has had to deal with this:

I recently graduated from my small state school, did fair at this school compared to the school I transfered from. I still have a low GPA due to the grades being added together from both schools. I am doing a post bacc informally at my local state school this fall, and staying home with my parents. blah, blah, blah...:sleep:
Here is the confusing part: my parents originally said it was fine and they would support my decision to go to dental school. Now my dad keeps saying that he doesn't understand the need to go back to school and that I need to teach at the school he is at. I'm also shadowing my dentist this summer and since I go in with the hours of the office, I have over 40 hours just for my first week. To me things are looking good, I can do the post bacc classes and continue my trend of As in upper levels and my shadowing hours are adding up. I also started a club aimed to keep at risk teens out of trouble. the problem is I get negative comments from my dad and he keeps telling me that I am making the wrong decisions. My mother is fine with everything, but I don't think I can deal with my dad's negativity and constant second guesses. Anyone had any problems with support while working on your stats?

I was reading through some of the older posts and wondering if anyone else here has had to deal with this:

I recently graduated from my small state school, did fair at this school compared to the school I transfered from. I still have a low GPA due to the grades being added together from both schools. I am doing a post bacc informally at my local state school this fall, and staying home with my parents. blah, blah, blah...:sleep:
Here is the confusing part: my parents originally said it was fine and they would support my decision to go to dental school. Now my dad keeps saying that he doesn't understand the need to go back to school and that I need to teach at the school he is at. I'm also shadowing my dentist this summer and since I go in with the hours of the office, I have over 40 hours just for my first week. To me things are looking good, I can do the post bacc classes and continue my trend of As in upper levels and my shadowing hours are adding up. I also started a club aimed to keep at risk teens out of trouble. the problem is I get negative comments from my dad and he keeps telling me that I am making the wrong decisions. My mother is fine with everything, but I don't think I can deal with my dad's negativity and constant second guesses. Anyone had any problems with support while working on your stats?

Am going to tell you what my father told me that has really helped me. "get away from people who frame the way you think" at this point in your life you need support, you need to surround yourself with people who believe in you, people who have the same or higher aspirations. your father might not be realizing what he is doing but he is providing that negative influence, he is feeding the notion of doubt in your head, the feeling that "you can't do it" or that "your not good enough" he is gradually crushing your hope. If you keep hearing these sort of things from him you will begin to internalize them. He might even cause you to loose hope and lose focus if you don't get in the first time you apply or even worst, you might not even feel confident enough to apply. Listen buddy, I know he is your father but you must get away from that negativity, if that means moving out and getting your own place do it, or simply talk to your father and let him see what he is doing to you until he stops.

Oright guys, I've got to say I really like this thread. My GPA is really low, but I'm working on bringing it up now. Now for the questions.
How many people actually get accepted with a GPA around 3.0? My science GPA is also really low; which is more imporatant, cumulitive or science? It seems like people that get into dentistry with low GPA's usually go to school somewhere in the east, would it be harder to get into schools in the west/midwest, such as NV, CA, or AZ? Also, do grades replace the one before when retaken (like DO schools) or do they just add it on (like MD schools). Thanks again guys.

On another note, what do you guys think of taking easy 3 credit science classes, such as astronomy, to boost your overall science gpa? Good idea or bad idea? If you think its a good idea, what classes should I take?

Oright guys, I've got to say I really like this thread. My GPA is really low, but I'm working on bringing it up now. Now for the questions.
How many people actually get accepted with a GPA around 3.0? My science GPA is also really low; which is more imporatant, cumulitive or science? It seems like people that get into dentistry with low GPA's usually go to school somewhere in the east, would it be harder to get into schools in the west/midwest, such as NV, CA, or AZ? Also, do grades replace the one before when retaken (like DO schools) or do they just add it on (like MD schools). Thanks again guys.

Hi,
-For the most part, sci/bcp GPA is focused more heavily than overall GPA.
-The system is similar to MD schools, where both retake and old grades are calculated.

Hope it helps!

sorry to hear about your situation... i think you need to talk to your dad about his comments and how they affect you...this is your life and your career...if its really what you want to do then i think you should go ahead and do it..i know its hard when ppl close to your are skeptical but hang in there...work hard and get your grades up....you are definately on the right track..but i think in order to feel better you have to definately talk to your dad because words of discouragement (sp?) can really hurt. I don't think you can get away from your dad like the other person said but i think yall can work things out
good luck
-ld

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks litldime and mterp45 for the advice. I just have to deal with it but I'm not letting it get to me or discourage me from my goals. My dad is pretty cool as long as he doesn't try to give me life advice. Keep the under 3.0 alive...:thumbup:

Am going to tell you what my father told me that has really helped me. "get away from people who frame the way you think" at this point in your life you need support, you need to surround yourself with people who believe in you, people who have the same or higher aspirations. your father might not be realizing what he is doing but he is providing that negative influence, he is feeding the notion of doubt in your head, the feeling that "you can't do it" or that "your not good enough" he is gradually crushing your hope. If you keep hearing these sort of things from him you will begin to internalize them. He might even cause you to loose hope and lose focus if you don't get in the first time you apply or even worst, you might not even feel confident enough to apply. Listen buddy, I know he is your father but you must get away from that negativity, if that means moving out and getting your own place do it, or simply talk to your father and let him see what he is doing to you until he stops.

i love this advice. I've dealt with some negativity too that has really hindered my motivation, and it just makes everything so much harder. I moved across my state to take a break from it for a while, and it has cleared my mind. Get away from anyone holding you back. You know yourself the best, and you know what is the best choice for you. We often think that family knows us best, and because they are older, they must be smarter. This is not always true. Getting into dental school is hard enough without all of the negativity. Good luck!

....... my parents originally said it was fine and they would support my decision to go to dental school. Now my dad keeps saying that he doesn't understand the need to go back to school and that I need to teach at the school he is at................etc.....

Does it really matter what your parents think? This is your life and your dreams. You are an adult and you don't have to explain to your Dad or anyone, besides the people interviewing you for dental school, why you want to go to dental school. If explaining what you are doing is something that will make your family life better, I suggest you look at it as your very first d-school interview. What a great way to practice explaining why you are choosing dentistry. If you can't tell your family the reasons why... well, take a second, look at why you are considering it, because at some point you will have to answer this question in person or on an app.

Also, I don't think teaching is a bad idea while you are waiting/working to get in. I wouldn't choose the same school as my Dad, but that is me. Teaching something like science would be a great way to keep your sciences up to date, you can take night course to bring up the GPA and during the summer months you would have free time to study for the DAT/post-bac classes/shadow, all while you still get paid.

Best of luck... Follow your dreams, not someone elses.

SHOTSET I WAS WONDERING WHAT WAS UR GPA AND DAT SCORES THAT YOU HAD TO GET INTO MEHARRY AND THE OTHER SCHOOLS YOU APPLIED TO???

hey guys I got my frist rejection today from Loma Linda. I called them up and was told my GPA is too low. Incase you are wondering...my GPA is a 2.97:thumbdown:. Where are you guys on ur applications?

Hey guys, this thread has been helpful to see how you guys dug yourselves out of the hole that I am in too. I am going to San Jose State University right now and have an overall gpa of about 2.8 with about 130 units completed already. I am in my final year and I think I have a chance to get my gpa up to 2.90 to 2.95 by the time I graduate. I haven't taken the DAT's yet because of my low gpa, I want to be over-prepared rather then under-prepared. But I am not sure what to do, with a GPA lower then 3.0 , its difficult to get into post-bac programs isn't it? I think I would be a decent canidate for a masters with a gpa around 3 for the state schools in cali, but I'm not real sure. Does anyone have any good experience with out of state schools? I saw some mentioned earlier in the thread, but I have not yet completed the DAT for the MBS programs. Here are several options that I can think of till now, but if you guys have better experience or knowledge about what to do, please fill me in:
1) Graduate from SJSU in the spring '08 and continue to take upper div classes the following fall as a informal post-bac so that my gpa can be raised.
2) Apply to graduate programs (MA) that might be less popular such as in ecology at schools such as SDSU or Cal Poly.
3) Apply for a 1 year MBA school and show my diversity as a student.

I should also mention that I have other things on my resume that MAY be of some value. I volunteer at UCSF inpatient pharmacy for about 6 months. I have served as an officer at my schools Biological Students Association for one year, an officer for the Pre-Dents for a semester(the club fell apart) and this summer I am doing a management internship for walgreens. I also plan on pursuing volunteering/shadowing a dentist soon, to get some experience. Thanks you guys for reading my problems, its nice to see some of us get together and help each other out! Best of luck to the fellow sub-3.0 ers, hope you get in soon.

hey newtwothis, have you tried applying to canadian schools for a masters? some canadian schools look at your last two years of university instead of overall. minimum b+ is what they're looking for.

PM me this, why did the predents club fall apart?

Hey guys and gals, just wanted to poke my head in and wish you good luck. As a former member of the club, I'd like to offer my help to anyone who needs it. Just send me a PM and I'll do whatever I can.

hey everyone- just wanted to say that i know how it goes. my gpa was around a 2.8 last fall but after semesters of 3.29 and 3.48 respectively, i'm now around 2.99 (ahhh .01??). Anyway, here's my plan: i'm going into my senior year at michigan. i could have applied via aadsas in june but instead i'm going to finish my senior year and then take another semester fall '08 (my victory lap, as i like to call it.) i'll apply to dental school starting next june (if i'm not the first application submitted i'll be pissed) and hopefully the gpa will be around 3.1+.

And also, i'm taking the DAT in 4 weeks with a goal of 21+. i'll let you all know how it goes! Go blue!

Hey there fellow sub 3.0ers!
I've read these forms for a long time, mostly as a pre-vet though. I decided that my heart wasn't there in veterinary medicine (several factors made me realize it's not where my heart is). I've always had an interest in dentistry but never considered it seriously as a career until about a year ago.
Any way, I have a question for some of you sub 3.0 kids.
If you want to answer you can, if not that's cool too. What caused you to be sub 3.0?
Freshman year was good for me, 3.4 GPA...came out of high school with a 4.33 (AP honors, all that junk). But sophomore year came around and the reality of life hit me hard! My mom had several surgeries and some of my childhood friends were killed in Iraq and car accidents. I had a tough time dealing...but I had to stay in school to keep health insurance (I'm asthmatic, medicine isn't cheap! haha). The worst grade I made was a D in organic chem 1 (longer story there) the rest were B's and C's. Just finished my junior year with decent grades, but I've decided on an informal post bacc to help my nasty looking GPA. So there's my story in a nutshell, well a large nutshell anyway.
This thread gives me hope! :D

Delta121, no I haven't thought about going abroad yet. And I figured if i am going abroad, i may as well take my chances of doing a dental or pre-med thing abroad anyways rather then going for a masters first. I believe there are schools that are more lenient on students . I think if my gpa can get to 2.95 I can take some classes after grad to push it up to 3 and higher and then apply to dental school? I am hoping to apply next fall, so I really need to figure out a game plan. As far as the pre-dents club, it was just poorly run by the president (who resigined due to other priorities) and the advisor.

hey everyone- just wanted to say that i know how it goes. my gpa was around a 2.8 last fall but after semesters of 3.29 and 3.48 respectively, i'm now around 2.99 (ahhh .01??). Anyway, here's my plan: i'm going into my senior year at michigan. i could have applied via aadsas in june but instead i'm going to finish my senior year and then take another semester fall '08 (my victory lap, as i like to call it.) i'll apply to dental school starting next june (if i'm not the first application submitted i'll be pissed) and hopefully the gpa will be around 3.1+.

And also, i'm taking the DAT in 4 weeks with a goal of 21+. i'll let you all know how it goes! Go blue!

this is funny, you must be a clone of me or something. im in your exact shoes. my overall GPA is a 2.99 as well (god damn that .01). it was actually a 3.03 untill my last grade of B- for this semester was posted that knocked it down to 2.99 (darn it). anyways, i am graduating spring of 08 as well but i am currently studing for my DAT's and planning to take the test end of august. i will be submitting my application this friday as well. i definetly belong to this thread, a quick background:

3 year community college GPA : 2.78
4 Year university GPA (going into 3rd year): 3.46
overall gpa: 2.99
currently studying for the DAT and planning to get a 22+

i am definetly nervous here, i really want to get in for fall of 08 as im applying to 25 places. by this time i have so many units that an extra 30 units of A wont even do anything to my GPA. i just hope they take into consideration my GPA improvement after i transfered to the university.

Any way, I have a question for some of you sub 3.0 kids. If you want to answer you can, if not that's cool too. What caused you to be sub 3.0?

Since I'm the Founder of this thread, I'll start....

It's called starting college taking classes such as "Introduction to Hot College Women", "Introduction to Parties", and "Introduction to Greek Traditions".

It was my first time away from home and I went from a small home town to a large college city. There were WAY too MANY distractions! Simply put, I partied WAY too much, didn't go to class, showed up on exam days and guessed on all the questions. Needless to say, my GPA suffered from it.

Retrospectively, I am not ashamed of what I've experienced, my past had made who I am and my drive for excellence today.:thumbup: Besides, I think I turned out OK! :smuggrin:

i'm going to post this hear because i think some of you may have the best advice for me...plus i'm part of the club!

Anyway, I'm very upset about this, but I just don't know what I should do. I'm a reapplicant this year, and still have not submitted my application. I plan on entering a master's program in the spring, and it will only take me a year to finish it (i have previous credits). My gpa is not incredibly strong, but my application is in other ways including some really strong experience, extracurriculars, and LORs. Anyway, it has been one thing after another financially for me. Yesterday my car broke down on the side of the road and I found out today my fuel pump went out. So there is about 800 bucks down the drain. Two days ago I put 200 into the car for my brakes. This was money that I was going to put into costs of my dental app. I have some tution to pay off to from last semester as well. so I am can't get my transcripts released. I can't borrow money, because I'm borrowing some for this car repair and I really don't make much.
I feel sick about this. I feel like i'm letting myself down. I know that because I'll be in a master's program, I may not get in this year, but I still feel bad about not trying. Should I wait and still give it a shot in October? Either way, I'd apply again next year. Anyone have any input?

Hey guys! I just made it off the BU waitlist.

There's a lot, a lot to be said for divine intervention here. Anyway, keep hope alive, all.:)

Hey guys! I just made it off the BU waitlist.

There's a lot, a lot to be said for divine intervention here. Anyway, keep hope alive, all.:)

congrats too!

Hi Everyone,

I am new to SDN. I stumbled upon the under 3.0 thread about 2 weeks ago and have been reading the posts from about 5 years back, when the club was first started by Yah-E. I have to say, I was so amazed to see how many people out there were in a similar situation like me. I am sure all of you have been around people who complain about their 3.8 GPAs being too low to get accepted to Med/Dental schools. I have been in numerous situations like that and they really make me feel like an outsider. But by reading the posts on this thread I could see that this network really provides a sense of community and support for the members. I have been feeling hopeless about my grades for about 2 years now and by reading the stories on this thread has really boosted my will to try harder to get into dental school.

My Academic Profile:

After High school I attended a community college in California and will now be transferring to a California State University. My GPA for the first couple of quarters was really good, but after taking Chemistry & Calculus courses my cumulative GPA is now a 2.82. I am a biology major and still have 2 more years left until I finish my Biology degree. I finished the General Chemistry series (3 quarters worth) with 2 W’s 2 C’s & 1 B. Organic Chemistry (also 3 quarters worth) which really kicked me down with 1 D(repeated w/C) 2nd quarter C and I am on the 3rd quarter trying to finish it up this summer before I transfer. The worst series for me was calculus with 2 D’s for one of the series and 1 C and I still need to finish my last quarter, but I plan on repeating it when I transfer. I still have to take the Physics series and all the upper division biology courses at the California State University.

I definitely have a lot on my plate and have 2 years to bring up my GPA. I have thought about graduate school, but I want to see how I do for my last 2 years and complete my biology degree before I decide what I want to do. My question to everyone is, would dental schools even consider looking at my application with all the D’s? And also, would I need to start getting straight A’s from here on out? Basically all I’m asking is, do I still have a chance and if so, what do I need to do in order to make it happen?

Thank you everyone for reading my introduction. I look forward to being a member of this thread and connecting with future dentists!

hey ober3, you're just like me, where I did bad , really bad in my first degree, then began another degree, and starting to do really well. The point is, you're doing well now, and if you keep doing well, then you're most likely to get into d-schools somewhere.

Doing a masters will boost your chances even further of getting into d schools since your grades have been poor initially. I myself am thinking about doing a masters. Just hunker down, know you can ace your new degree program, and let go of the past. Letting go has been tough for me, a lot of what was I thinking questions, but deep down, u gotta let it go. Keep pressing on.

I think that if you have any D's in a prereq then defn retake the class and get an A, some schools won't even consider you if you have anything lower then a C in a prereq

Hey

Delta121:

Thanks for the boost! I am actually still doing the same degree (biology), I'm just transferring from a 2 year community college to a 4 year state university and finishing up my last 2 years there.

Vh007: I have repeated the courses I got D's in and got C's :(. Is it still worth retaking if you get C's?

General Question: If you did poorly in your first 2 years of college, is it true that some Dental schools just look at your last 2 years if you have made a dramatic improvement in your grades and also your DAT score? I heard something about UOP having a forgiveness policy? I also read that some dental schools in Canada will also take out your worst academic year if you have done 4 or more years in college.

hey ober, univ of Western ontario looks at your two best years over 80%, and the Canadian DAt only. They require u a minimum of 19 on the reading section. The average for reading was 21.

In terms of discounting your worst year ... I think that is univ of Toronto. Not sure. All canadian dental schools are tough to get into. We canadians look south of the border.

Then again, you're in international student, so that means you're fighting for two spots at UWO. Class size is 54. good luck.

Hey Delta121,

Yeah, I know what you mean. There aren't many dental schools in Canada. I have dual citizenship from both Canada and the US. I'm studying in the US right now and would like to go to a dental school here, but I still need to keep my options open and go for a plan B if it doesn't work out in the US. I just started researching dental schools in Canada, I don't know much about them. Do you know if the Canadian DAT is any different compared to the American DAT?

Hey Delta121,

Yeah, I know what you mean. There aren't many dental schools in Canada. I have dual citizenship from both Canada and the US. I'm studying in the US right now and would like to go to a dental school here, but I still need to keep my options open and go for a plan B if it doesn't work out in the US. I just started researching dental schools in Canada, I don't know much about them. Do you know if the Canadian DAT is any different compared to the American DAT?
canadian DAT has a 30 min carving section that US dat does not have, and it is only held twice a year (feb and Nov), you receive the score about 6 weeks after you write the exam.

US dat has QR and OC that cDAT doesn't have. It is written on computer, cDAT is written on paper

cDAT RC has 50 minutes, us dat RC has 60 minutes

Hello Eveyone,

I have a situation that I have been going over and over again. Here it is:

My GPA is 2.56 and a science GPA of 2.41 as calculated by the AADAS. My last DAT score was a 13. I have the opportunity this year, due to a lay off to go to school fulltime and take some courses. Initially, I was advised to take at least 15 hours of upper division science courses by an advisor from a dental school. So, I enrolled in 17 hours of courses. Since enrolling in these courses another advisor at the school I enrolled in states that this is too much and that I not take this much and suggested that I do the Texas Fresh Start Program which means that any grades I received ten years prior to 2007 will not be counted toward my GPA. This means that I will have to take all pre-requistes over and most of the classes are closed now. I still have a chance to enroll in the upper division courses such as Anatomy and Physiology, Cell Biology, Evolutionary Biology. What should I DO? Should I start over and almost get another degree since I will have to take 90 hours in this Texas Fresh Start Program or just concentrate on taking upper division courses.

My main goal is to raise GPA and prepare for the DAT since I have been out of school for 17 years. I did get my MBA in 2004. WHAT SHOULD I DO. ALL SUGGESTION ARE WELCOME.

Rhonda

I heard something about UOP having a forgiveness policy?

I'm pretty sure there's no official policy, but they will actually read your app and consider the whole applicant before tossing you in the "no" pile. At UoP, a high DAT is king. If you have that you're good to go.

hey ober, z3gu has is there. Personally, I find that they both have its advantages and disadvantages.

Canadian dat is based on bell curve score. So let's say everyone gets 29 out 30 on chem, but u get 24 out 30. That pulls your overall standard score to like a 14 out of 30, unlike the american dat where u have to get as many right to get a good score.

But the good thing is that we don't have math or organic chem.

Delta.

What should I DO? Should I start over and almost get another degree since I will have to take 90 hours in this Texas Fresh Start Program or just concentrate on taking upper division courses.

My main goal is to raise GPA and prepare for the DAT since I have been out of school for 17 years. I did get my MBA in 2004. WHAT SHOULD I DO. ALL SUGGESTION ARE WELCOME.

Rhonda

Damn girl! A fresh start is nice, but another 90 credits to get another bachelors degree? How old are you? Will you willing to invest another 3 years to make yourself a competitive applicant?

How I look at it is that with your low GPA and LOW DAT, it'll probably take you two years minimum to make yourself competitive anyways. So at this point, no matter what route you take (graduate courses or "Fresh Start"), it'll be two or three years until you should apply. If you apply any earlier, you will not be successful.

My suggestion for you is to raise your current low GPA a little with upper division science courses enough to be competitive for a "Post-Bac" program (Midwestern University, Barry University, etc.) and apply to Post-Bac programs. Post-Bac programs will provide you with a freash new GPA at a graduate level which dental schools loves to see! It really seems pointless for you to retake prereqs and get another Bachelors degree.

Good luck, if you're ready to invest another 3 years of your life for another 4 years of education, then I say go for it! WARNING: Long road ahead!

Ober3:

After reading your story, I can't lie, I am very disappointed in your performances. You said that you started to read this thread back when I had started it five years ago, that was before you had started college which means you had a clean slate when you did start college. If you read our stories and saw how we fcuked up in college and got sh1tty grades, then what did you do? You went into college and fcuked up yourself and got sh1tty grades!?

Sure, applicants with crappy college GPAs "can" get into dental schools, but you've read it here, it takes years and years of hardwork, sacrafices, and immense amount of $$ to redeem themselves academically. There has to be something going on in your life that is not right for you to do this poor in your academics?! You need to figure out what's holding you back, take a hard look of yourself in the mirror and ask if dental school is what you truly want, and then eliminate all your distractions!

You need to finish strong once you transfer to the state college and retake all previously fail or D courses no matter how many times you've taken it. Seriously, after 3 retakes of one course, move on! It's nothing worse than retaking the same course multiple times and the best you can do is a "C"!! Believe, I've been there.

What you can't **** up on now is the DAT, aim for 22/22. Take this exam seriously and do it right the first time. With the competitive nature of dental school admissions today, Under 3.0 club member will have more challenges in competing with well-rounded competitive applicants. Hang in there and get rid of your distractions! It's not easy to have a success story to tell in the Under 3.0 Club! Keep us posted.

Ober3:

After reading your story, I can't lie, I am very disappointed in your performances. You said that you started to read this thread back when I had started it five years ago, that was before you had started college which means you had a clean slate when you did start college. If you read our stories and saw how we fcuked up in college and got sh1tty grades, then what did you do? You went into college and fcuked up yourself and got sh1tty grades!?

Sure, applicants with crappy college GPAs "can" get into dental schools, but you've read it here, it takes years and years of hardwork, sacrafices, and immense amount of $$ to redeem themselves academically. There has to be something going on in your life that is not right for you to do this poor in your academics?! You need to figure out what's holding you back, take a hard look of yourself in the mirror and ask if dental school is what you truly want, and then eliminate all your distractions!

You need to finish strong once you transfer to the state college and retake all previously fail or D courses no matter how many times you've taken it. Seriously, after 3 retakes of one course, move on! It's nothing worse than retaking the same course multiple times and the best you can do is a "C"!! Believe, I've been there.

What you can't **** up on now is the DAT, aim for 22/22. Take this exam seriously and do it right the first time. With the competitive nature of dental school admissions today, Under 3.0 club member will have more challenges in competing with well-rounded competitive applicants. Hang in there and get rid of your distractions! It's not easy to have a success story to tell in the Under 3.0 Club! Keep us posted.

Actually, ober3 says they just discovered this thread a couple of weeks ago and have been reading the posts that span 5 years back.

Actually, ober3 says they just discovered this thread a couple of weeks ago and have been reading the posts that span 5 years back.

Yup, he sure did, didn't he! Well then Ober3, disregard my first paragraph of my post to you and keep us posted. :thumbup:

Thanks for the warm welcome :scared:. That is true, I just started reading this thread a few weeks back. I am looking forward to starting fresh at a new school and finishing up my bac degree. What does everyone think about taking a year off to study for the DAT after my bac? Or should I enroll in a 1 year post-bac program while I study for the DAT? Hmmm...?

I am seeking advice. I graduated last Summer with a 2.95 cumulative GPA. :( I am wanting to apply to dental school and I am aware of the long path ahead of me. This summer, I have started to shadow a local dentist which truly acted as the final step of inspiration for my goal. I am looking into applying for various MS programs across the country. I have spent the past few months preparing for the GRE. While I have been shadowing, I have wanted to apply for a position as a dental assistant. However, I have no experience. In an ideal situation, I would love to have a dentist train me. However, the situation feels unfair to the dentist seeing how I would not be likely to stick around as a dental assistant when I apply to dental school. I have also looked into a 10-month dental assistant training program at a local technical college. Would that be a waste of time or would it look decent on an application? I feel that with a certificate, it would be look good on my resume that I actually complete a course/program.

I also feel that I need to build my extracurricular activities but I'm not sure where to start. Shadowing is one thing but it does not seem objective or concrete. What are some other areas in the dental field that volunteer work would be looked well upon? With an interest in medicine, it is easy to find volunteer work at a hospital or a local clinic. Does it matter what the volunteer work is in?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Do you have your pre-reqs done already? If so, you can take the DAT and get into a Special Master's Program. One year long, you take many or all classes that first year medical students take (excluding gross anatomy, I believe). They have a good percentage of kids with these SMPs getting into med/dental school, seemingly. All you need to get in is 1 year of biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, english, and maybe math. Your GPA is probably around their cut-off, but with a good story and a good DAT score, you could probably get into one. Obivously, it would have to wait a year, though. If I were you, I'd take undergrad courses this upcoming year and do a lot of volunteering, get great grades, take the DAT and apply in the spring (for matriculation in Fall 2009). If you don't get in, you can apply for an SMP program (also for matriculation in Fall 2009), and re-apply while doing the master's. It will show your dedication, and might help you get in.

Do you have your pre-reqs done already? If so, you can take the DAT and get into a Special Master's Program. One year long, you take many or all classes that first year medical students take (excluding gross anatomy, I believe). They have a good percentage of kids with these SMPs getting into med/dental school, seemingly. All you need to get in is 1 year of biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, english, and maybe math. Your GPA is probably around their cut-off, but with a good story and a good DAT score, you could probably get into one. Obivously, it would have to wait a year, though. If I were you, I'd take undergrad courses this upcoming year and do a lot of volunteering, get great grades, take the DAT and apply in the spring (for matriculation in Fall 2009). If you don't get in, you can apply for an SMP program (also for matriculation in Fall 2009), and re-apply while doing the master's. It will show your dedication, and might help you get in.

Would you happen to have a list of universities that offer a special master's program? Are you aware of how competitive they are? I have heard of a few including Nova and Barry University.

I have taken my pre-reqs but I took them when I began uni back in 2002. I have started to read about a certain 5 year limit that universities accept credit. Do you know more about this? I also feel that I would be a bit shaky on the DAT so would it be advisable to take the gen reqs again? Or should I solely concentrate on the GRE and a masters program?

When you mention retaking undergrad courses--are you referring to lower or upper level credit? I feel it would best benefit me to retake lower levels as a decent refresher course but I've heard that it's best to re-take upper levels.

Also, this might be a fairly repeated question but are there any guides or programs that are generally recommended to study for the DAT?

My main concern/goal is trying to stay busy. I've been out of school for a semester now and I feel like time is constantly slipping away and that I'm doing nothing with my life. I feel that it was a major step this summer in shadowing a dentist and beginning to realize a goal but I feel like I can't do anything to achieve it without taking a test and waiting. I'm aware of the time factor and that it will take a lot of hard work and dedication. I'm just wanting a concrete sign that I'm doing the right things. /rant

Thanks for listening.