The Under 3.0 Club part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! Active lurker here but I finally decided to make a post asking for advice.

Long story short, undergrad wasn't the best experience for me and I graduated with a very low 2.8GPA. Freshmen bio, gchem, physics were straight foward for me and I pretty much got B's with 3 A's here and there (not great though, I know). I bombed OChem and came out with 3 quarters straight with C+'s but an A- in the lab (for what it's worth). Upper Bio classes were disastrous for me wherein I received C-'s in structural, molecular, one physio, and a lab. Everything else were either C's or B's (I think my upperdiv gpa (with ochem) was 2.45 :( )
So as you can see my undergrad wasn't so spectacular. I had a very serious health complication during the latter half of college but I foolishly continued to pursue a 4 year track. More than anything though, I attribute my poor performance to me becoming so fatigued, lazy and complacent. So it was definitely my fault for being immature and unmotivated.

I was hoping to make amends though by reapplying myself FULLY to my studies and hopefully eventually reach my goal of getting into dental. The future doesn't look too bright for someone like me but there's definitely light at the end of the tunnel (at least I'd like to think so).

Thus, my question is this: what is the best possible course of action for me?
Should I try a postbacc wherein I redo all my upperdiv classes to get A's?
Or should I enter an SMP and try to get a Masters to get a clean, fresh start?
(I don't even know if any masters programs would be willing to take a low GPA student like me.)
Or should I just stop because it's hopeless for someone in my situation?

I haven't taken my DAT yet but I am aiming for the 20's.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who took the time to read this long post and give advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Best is to call the schools and talk with admissions advisor.

My 2cent is

Take postbac upper div bio to reach 3.0 ( try to not repeat any courses if you got above C), take the DAT and shoot highest as possible. Apply for SMP after, get 4.0, apply, hope for the best. So 2.8 with downward trend, I am guessing you might need at least 2 years of postbacs, including an SMP. What will get you into SMP at this point would be your DAT scores.

Best is to call the schools and talk with admissions advisor.

My 2cent is

Take postbac upper div bio to reach 3.0 ( try to not repeat any courses if you got above C), take the DAT and shoot highest as possible. Apply for SMP after, get 4.0, apply, hope for the best. So 2.8 with downward trend, I am guessing you might need at least 2 years of postbacs, including an SMP. What will get you into SMP at this point would be your DAT scores.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it! Ideally, I'd love to do back to back programs but I'm really limited by money.

If I do go postbacc you don't recommend retaking ochem despite it being a core prereq? how bout the core upperdivs of cell, mol, and structural bio?
I just did some calculations and if I do a 1 year postbacc, the highest I could get would be a 3.076 overall GPA (that's getting a 4.0 every quarter, no retakes). Would this alone be competitive enough? Or would a masters still be needed to supplement my application?

Would going straight to a SMP, aiming for 4.0, not be enough to cover my undergrad performance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it! Ideally, I'd love to do back to back programs but I'm really limited by money.

If I do go postbacc you don't recommend retaking ochem despite it being a core prereq? how bout the core upperdivs of cell, mol, and structural bio?
I just did some calculations and if I do a 1 year postbacc, the highest I could get would be a 3.076 overall GPA (that's getting a 4.0 every quarter, no retakes). Would this alone be competitive enough? Or would a masters still be needed to supplement my application?

Would going straight to a SMP, aiming for 4.0, not be enough to cover my undergrad performance?

I suggest taking a strong post-baccalaureate program such as PCOM .... Medical school courses (real upper div sciences) and get a 3.5+++ GPA take DAT and aim for as high as possible nothing below 18.

sumin5924

Admissions advisor told me that they want to see a consistent, strong postbac. So 1 year is probably not enough. We are competing against people who had 4 years of 3.5+. At the same time, different schools gave me different opinions. Which is the reason why I am telling you to call them directly and get to conclusion on your own.
Additionally, going to SMP and getting 4.0 won't be easy. Unless your mindset changed from one day to another, your academic records shows no proof of such capability, which in my humble opinion it's best to do a postbac 1)to raise GPA above 3.0 and 2) learn how to study properly.

sumin5924

Admissions advisor told me that they want to see a consistent, strong postbac. So 1 year is probably not enough. We are competing against people who had 4 years of 3.5+. At the same time, different schools gave me different opinions. Which is the reason why I am telling you to call them directly and get to conclusion on your own.
Additionally, going to SMP and getting 4.0 won't be easy. Unless your mindset changed from one day to another, your academic records shows no proof of such capability, which in my humble opinion it's best to do a postbac 1)to raise GPA above 3.0 and 2) learn how to study properly.

But we are not talking about ordinary post bac here... Yes competing with 3.5 but not all 3.5s have completed an intense post bac consisting of molecular basis of medicine, infectious process (immunology), medical history, medical anatomy dealing with human cadavers, medical pharmacology, medical neuroscience, medical physiology. These are strong courses which dental and med students do there first year. If you can maintain a 3.5 or higher here your gold. And one more year in this biomedical science course you get a masters in biomedical sciences. People underestimate PCOMs post baccalaureate but the committees look at these courses and I have spoken to few and they said damn "you killed it" and they love that it is graduate school post bac not undergrad orgo, gen Chen, bio etc. that's my 2cents

sumin5924

Thank you, your input is very appreciated! Do adcoms care about where post-bacc is done and if it's structured or not? Specifically, I'd be going from a uc to a csu or cc (save money) if I were to do an informal post-bacc where I'd just be taking upperdiv bio classes. Would that be a no-no?

I suggest taking a strong post-baccalaureate program such as PCOM .... Medical school courses (real upper div sciences) and get a 3.5+++ GPA take DAT and aim for as high as possible nothing below 18.

Sorry, newb question but what exactly is PCOM? Could you provide some links for info?

Sorry, newb question but what exactly is PCOM? Could you provide some links for info?

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Laughinggas is probably talking about their MBS program. But this is just one example of many throughout the country. Western, LECOM, Midwestern, UMDNJ are a few that come to mind that also have a dental school. I believe some will even "guarantee" you an interview, given you meet certain requirements and GPA/DAT cutoffs.

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Laughinggas is probably talking about their MBS program. But this is just one example of many throughout the country. Western, LECOM, Midwestern, UMDNJ are a few that come to mind that also have a dental school. I believe some will even "guarantee" you an interview, given you meet certain requirements and GPA/DAT cutoffs.

Definitely!! I still worry If I should retake :(

I am getting out the Marines in May 2014. I graduated with my BS. (bio major) in 2008. My science is 2.9 and my over all is 3.1 (had to retake a few science courses)...... I finished a biochem class last semester with an A. Just took the DAT... 18 in all sciences and a 19 over all. GPA was just verified today, hoping my application doesn't just get pushed to the side because of my low GPA....Anyone in a similar situation?

I just got an interview from Colorado. I graduated from the Air Force Academy and I have a 2.68 GPA and just about the same DAT scores. I think your military background will appeal to someone and it is definitely doable. Don't let the GPA bog you down

Received my first interview invite today with 2.96oGPA, 2.75sGPA. Keep the faith fellow sub-3.0ers

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
First interview invite today to Marquette. I am instate, and first time applicant.

2.95 sGPA
3.25 cGPA ( I know this is for under 3.0, but my GPAs are pretty low.)
20AA/19TS/17PAT/22RC

DON'T GIVE UP.

Predent girl what's your major? if you don't mind answering

Minnesota Interview In-state 2.9 Overall 3.4 Science
AA 19 TS 19 GC 21 OC 19 BIO 19 QR 16 RC 16 PAT 24

Have faith, never give up! This is my third time applying to the U of M. Was wait listed last year! Thrid times the charm!

Reactions: 1 user
Minnesota Interview In-state 2.9 Overall 3.4 Science
AA 19 TS 19 GC 21 OC 19 BIO 19 QR 16 RC 16 PAT 24

Have faith, never give up! This is my third time applying to the U of M. Was wait listed last year! Thrid times the charm!

What did you right for the one statement of diversity and what you have done etc.... Do you think a resume would suffice? Lol

Just write about how you are a unique student. Give them your story. I was somewhat of a misguided youth prior to college and I wrote about my path through college to where I am now. Something like that.

I strongly advise you not to use a resume....lol

Just write about how you are a unique student. Give them your story. I was somewhat of a misguided youth prior to college and I wrote about my path through college to where I am now. Something like that.

Awesome! Ty

The U of M is HUGE on diversity!!!!! Much like the entire state is. That's a very important statement.

You are welcome!

:thumbup::thumbup:

Did same as above and this year I am having better results than last year.

I got these invites awhile ago but I forgot to post here.

NYU

IUPUI

AA 22 TS 21 GC 22 OC 23 BIO 20 QR 19 RC 24 PAT 20

Last edited:
First interview invite today to Marquette. I am instate, and first time applicant.

2.95 sGPA
3.25 cGPA ( I know this is for under 3.0, but my GPAs are pretty low.)
20AA/19TS/17PAT/22RC

DON'T GIVE UP.

That is great, hope it alleviates a little bit of the stress. How many schools did you apply to, if you don't mind sharing of course.

That is great, hope it alleviates a little bit of the stress. How many schools did you apply to, if you don't mind sharing of course.

It is such a relief. Granted the interview is a huge hurdle too, but I got through the initial screening, which is so so nice.

I applied to 8 (I think).
Marquette is my top choice because of residency.. And then:
MWU-IL
MWU-AZ
Nova (the one rejection, till now)
Boston U
NYU
Western
LECOM

Yep! That's it. Haven't heard from anywhere else yet though.

I've narrowed down my choices to these two. I'm a 3rd year engineering student with only physics for anyone that doesn't know. Once I complete my Bachelors I can do either which but I need guidance

Take the pre reqs at current college NY City Tech CUNY then take DAT and apply to dental school
OR
While finishing my last year at City Tech study for GRE and apply for a Masters, specifically at UMDNJ and go on with the 1.5 year track and take dat after first year and apply to dental school from there.

I'm not considering money to be the ultimatum on which track I choose. I'd rather doing the program that'll help me get into dental school and prepare me once I eventually get in. I'm currently a 2.7 gpa and with my last 3 semesters I'm working alot harder to get it above a 3.2 before graduating.

I graduated college with a 3.03 ogpa and a 2.8-2.9 science gpa in biopsychology I am planning to work as a dental lab technician to gain experience and also take community college classes such as retaking ochem (which I got a C in), anatomy classes, etc... I took classes at a good uc would would retaking some classes at cc be bad? (I am gonna shoot for A+) My plan is to take some time off boost up my stats, shadow, volunteer and take the dat and apply to 15+ dental schools. If i don't get in first cycle then i might go for short masters program and try to do well. Honestly I find dentistry way more interesting, but am considering pharmacy since it would be a more realistic goal for me to get in, but I feel like I would not like the repetitive nature of it. Do you guys have any advice on my current predicament?

Last edited:
I just got an interview from Colorado. I graduated from the Air Force Academy and I have a 2.68 GPA and just about the same DAT scores. I think your military background will appeal to someone and it is definitely doable. Don't let the GPA bog you down

Not sure you should use your situation as an example to follow here. The Air Force Academy is an extremely difficult place to get good grades and many people know as much. 3.0 is like a 4.0 from there in some eyes. Colorado likely knows this very well; hence, they, of all schools, gave you an interview.

Last edited:
Don't give up fellow low GPAers! I have a 3.1 gpa with a 2.9 scGPA. I have two interviews with my first one being in 3 days! (ASDOH and Louisville)

I've narrowed down my choices to these two. I'm a 3rd year engineering student with only physics for anyone that doesn't know. Once I complete my Bachelors I can do either which but I need guidance

Take the pre reqs at current college NY City Tech CUNY then take DAT and apply to dental school
OR
While finishing my last year at City Tech study for GRE and apply for a Masters, specifically at UMDNJ and go on with the 1.5 year track and take dat after first year and apply to dental school from there.

I'm not considering money to be the ultimatum on which track I choose. I'd rather doing the program that'll help me get into dental school and prepare me once I eventually get in. I'm currently a 2.7 gpa and with my last 3 semesters I'm working alot harder to get it above a 3.2 before graduating.

Take prereqs at CUNY. Get 4.0 on your prereqs, in addition of finishing strong the rest of your undergrad courses. As long as you finish the prereqs strong, you wouldn't need additional school. UMDNJ, the former Rutgers master program, are intended for people that already had taken prereqs, but their performance wasn't stellar. Take DAT after you finish basic prereqs (gen bio, gen chem, ochem).

I graduated college with a 3.03 ogpa and a 2.8-2.9 science gpa in biopsychology I am planning to work as a dental lab technician to gain experience and also take community college classes such as retaking ochem (which I got a C in), anatomy classes, etc... I took classes at a good uc would would retaking some classes at cc be bad? (I am gonna shoot for A+) My plan is to take some time off boost up my stats, shadow, volunteer and take the dat and apply to 15+ dental schools. If i don't get in first cycle then i might go for short masters program and try to do well. Honestly I find dentistry way more interesting, but am considering pharmacy since it would be a more realistic goal for me to get in, but I feel like I would not like the repetitive nature of it. Do you guys have any advice on my current predicament?

No no about CC courses. It looks bad to go back from UC to CC... If possible, take courses at UC Extension. You can take few courses to raise your science gpa to 3.0 mark, and IMO, fastest way would be to finish SMP ASAP. Therefore you should concentrate on your DATs.
Sorry I'm bit sleepy, but long story short:
1) Ace DAT, asap.
2) Collect letter from professors, stating your long term goal of becoming a dentist, including the SMP route.
3) Apply to several SMPs (whether you take upper div bio classes before SMP is really up to you, but I would double check with the SMP adcoms).
4) Apply to D-School right after you finish the SMP.

-look into Western , Tufts, BU, Lecom, Rutgers, etc..... there are so many....
Lastly, Pharmacy "might" be easier to gain admissions depending the tier of school, but you need to think in the long run. Are you going to be happy as a pharmacist or as a dentist?. Stick to one.

yeah you are right, should i bother applying depending on how i score on my dat? If i get into a dental school it would save me alot of money and trouble. The reason I am considering pharm school cause it might be a more realistic goal at this point, but I would probably be alot happier with dental. Right now I am planning to just work part time, work at a dental lab technician, volunteer and shadow. If I for sure want to do this then I will start the smp route

Take prereqs at CUNY. Get 4.0 on your prereqs, in addition of finishing strong the rest of your undergrad courses. As long as you finish the prereqs strong, you wouldn't need additional school. UMDNJ, the former Rutgers master program, are intended for people that already had taken prereqs, but their performance wasn't stellar. Take DAT after you finish basic prereqs (gen bio, gen chem, ochem).

No no about CC courses. It looks bad to go back from UC to CC... If possible, take courses at UC Extension. You can take few courses to raise your science gpa to 3.0 mark, and IMO, fastest way would be to finish SMP ASAP. Therefore you should concentrate on your DATs.
Sorry I'm bit sleepy, but long story short:
1) Ace DAT, asap.
2) Collect letter from professors, stating your long term goal of becoming a dentist, including the SMP route.
3) Apply to several SMPs (whether you take upper div bio classes before SMP is really up to you, but I would double check with the SMP adcoms).
4) Apply to D-School right after you finish the SMP.

-look into Western , Tufts, BU, Lecom, Rutgers, etc..... there are so many....
Lastly, Pharmacy "might" be easier to gain admissions depending the tier of school, but you need to think in the long run. Are you going to be happy as a pharmacist or as a dentist?. Stick to one.

Hello everyone quick questions: 1) what is UC and CC and 2) what is SMP?

uc= university of california cc= community college smp= short masters program

would going for a state college be good enough? I live right by sdsu. Would you recommend me to apply first cycle to see if i can get in? if not then go for smp route or my chances really unlikely to get in and I should not bother trying? I feel like if my goal to be a dentist is really out of reach unless I put in alot of time and money, I might start lookin at other options such as pharmacy or something. You guys have any advice?

Hello guys, so I need some people's advice on my chances. And who ever has been in the same boat as me.
I graduated undergraduate in 2010 with an over all gpa 2.68.... Bad. I got sick last senior year with the swine flu which I was out for three weeks (with doctor documentation, I still have those documents), my teacher decided to fail me since I missed the "withdraw period" and "missed too many classes to take final exam" this brought my gpa down. I had to take 21 credits altogether to graduate on time while my immune system was immunosuppressed.

I did a dental internship, worked as a dental technician about 120 while shadowing two dentists. For the same hours. I took two years off and worked with my family in the restaurant as I have been since I was 9years old. I have a successful business for 21 years and currently opened up a real estate agency and making commercial properties along with managing real estate and other fun stuff. But that is my hobby; trying to steer away from the restaurant business, even though it makes great money you work almost 80-90 hours a week. Basically you have no life. Hence why I am looking to apply for dental school for a comfortable living. So I decided to go back to school at Philadelphia college of osteopathic medicine (PCOM).

I did my postbac, but it wasn't an ordinary postbac, it consisted of medical school graduate courses, for example:
Molecular basis of medicine, immunology, human anatomy (with human cadavers), physiology, medical pharmacology, histology, and neuroscience. I finished and received my Post-bac certificate for BIOmedical sciences with a GPA of 3.53. I have great letters of evaluation rom both my committee and dentist.
I had taken the DAT back in 2010 got a 15AA SUCKED. Took it recently July 31,2013 and recieved:
PAT 19
QR 17
RC18
ORGO 18
BIO17
GEN CH 17
AA 17 (so it says) i studied 3 months for this and SDN people and I think it was the hard version of the exam based on the percentiles). Literally the bio section took up most of time and left some gen chem and orgo chem blank :( shouldnt have ran out of time even though I practiced them on DAT qvault, bootcamp etc. the bio was extremely hard had never seen before. And I studied.

What are my chances? Anyone in a similar boat as I am? And what should I do? Can't raise my over all gpa up too high currently with post bac is 2.94 but it is so hard because I have about 142 hr credits. Any feedback? Thanks

yeah you are right, should i bother applying depending on how i score on my dat? If i get into a dental school it would save me alot of money and trouble. The reason I am considering pharm school cause it might be a more realistic goal at this point, but I would probably be alot happier with dental. Right now I am planning to just work part time, work at a dental lab technician, volunteer and shadow. If I for sure want to do this then I will start the smp route

Call schools and ask. But with current gpa without an upward trend, imo you have low chance. Try to take at least 1 upper div bio classes while work/volunteer before SMP.
Wish you the best.

UC = University of California
CC= Community College
SMP = Special Master Programs, you take classes with med or dental students. Successful completion of program usually help students with low undergrad gpa to get in.

Call schools and ask. But with current gpa without an upward trend, imo you have low chance. Try to take at least 1 upper div bio classes while work/volunteer before SMP.
Wish you the best.

I have an upward trend started from 2.7 freshman year, where do you suggest I should take an upper div bio class? Should I take it at sdsu or ucsd?

I am so confused. So I feel like i want to be a dentist but with my bleak 3.03 gpa and 2.8 science gpa it had made me question if I can even get into dental school and graduate. My thought process is do I wanna go thru all of this and find that I can't get in and be in tons of debt? Because of this I checked out pharmacy for a bit cause it seems "easier" for me to get in with my current stats but my heart isn't into it, I just wanna do it to get a good job. Basically what I am thinking is go with my heart of dentistry and go through more schooling etc.. to maybe have a slight chance of getting in or cop out and choose pharmacy since it is "easier" to get in and work, even though I am not that interested in it? I need advice

Hey guys!

I have been lurking this thread for over 6 months now. I finally have the courage to post my situation. I would like some input from you guys on my current situation:

I graduated about 2 years ago from a private university with a 2.65 cum GPA. I have not figured out my science GPA because I am frankly scared to. I have been wanting to be a dentist for as long as I can remember, so I do not want to give up. I have been vice president of the pre-dental club and also held several other positions throughout the years. Coming from a family with low income, I am a minority, I have had to work throughout my college years. I worked at a dental lab everyday after work till about midnight. I did this for at least 2 years before finally having to quit. My family was/is also going through some rough times. I do not want to disclose what the problem is, but its a life changing event. I ended up having to drop classes with AU/W's, due to not having time to study properly and not being motivated. I have about 8 W's on my academic record. :( I want to do whatever it takes to fix this.
I currently work for the school where I graduated from :oops: since I am able to take 4cr for free per semester. I have started re-taking some of the W's, but I feel like dental school's want to see more science classes taken at the same time. I am considering going back full time..but since I graduated a lot of schools do not give financial aid for a 2nd bachelors degree. I want to do a master's but they require you to have pre-reqs done (which I have not completed due to W's). I plan on doing well from now on after this break from school and reading all these inspiring threads. I am also getting a lot of DAT study stuff from a friend which I intend to use/study ASAP. From here, what do I do? Please help :D
I appreciate all input. Thank you.

Last edited:
I have sgpa borderline 3.06 or something..and ogpa of 3.1. I am trying to raise it right now as a senior. My dat scores are below. Do I have a chance of making it to schools?

Also, I'm quite worried now, because I got B- in honors biology freshman year. I decided to retake it this year as a senior to show that I can do it, but did regular biology. In semi-retrospect I'm starting to panic cuz i feel that dental schools will see this negatively, the fact that I did principles of bio again.....should i be this worried?

Hey fellas,

how does dental school feel about retaking certain classes? I'm thinking of retaking chem 1, microbio, and bio 1 for the third time.

I am so confused. So I feel like i want to be a dentist but with my bleak 3.03 gpa and 2.8 science gpa it had made me question if I can even get into dental school and graduate. My thought process is do I wanna go thru all of this and find that I can't get in and be in tons of debt? Because of this I checked out pharmacy for a bit cause it seems "easier" for me to get in with my current stats but my heart isn't into it, I just wanna do it to get a good job. Basically what I am thinking is go with my heart of dentistry and go through more schooling etc.. to maybe have a slight chance of getting in or cop out and choose pharmacy since it is "easier" to get in and work, even though I am not that interested in it? I need advice

I'm in a similar boat to you.. Please keep us updated with your story and stay strong!

Just a word of advice, after working in the pharmacy field for many years I have met very few pharmacists that would condone going into pharmacy school at this point in time. The market is pretty saturated right now and I would only advise someone to go for it if they know for a fact that is what they want to do. If your heart isn't in it then definitely don't jump in without some serious research about the job market and what the job itself entails. The market seems to be getting better but if you're looking to get into it to just "get a good job" then you'll likely have a difficult time finding said job, depending on your region of course. That being said, don't let your low GPA discourage you from trying to get into dental school. There is a whole thread here devoted to people who have < 3.0 GPA's that have gotten interviews and have even been accepted to dental school. If you're getting discouraged you may want to read around that thread. It may help to lift your spirits a bit. Good luck :thumbup:

Edit: Just realized this is the under 3.0 thread. Guess this is how my posts turn out at 2am:laugh:

Last edited:
So I probably should have posted here a while ago, but here it goes,

I graduated from University of Florida with a BS in Nutrition some time ago with a less than stellar GPA (2.5 ish?).... Working for a few years professionally in a medical setting I realized that it was not what I wanted to do. Since then I graduated with a second BS in Microbiology also from UF (GPA 3.74) and I am in the middle of finishing my Masters at a rather rigorous program that has a pretty good reputation in the southern US and the NE (GPA 3.93). I have no DAT less than 17 (17 in bio and OC) and everything else above 20. 2 Interviews down and hopefully more once my fall grades are updated. Don't give up hope. The reality is that everyone makes bad decisions, for whatever reasons they have.

What really matters is what happens from there and what you learned from it. Buck up and deal with the consequences. More importantly, accept responsibility for them and mean it. As others have said, everyone has a story, others more interesting than others. Regardless, if your monitoring this thread, it might be advisable to consider where you are and where you want to be. Figure out a way to get to where you want to be. Also realize that you will be dragging up an anchor of bad GPA grades if your anything like me. Years in, I sill am slightly under a 3.0 overall, mind you with >200 credits overall and >100 BCP and >150 science. (Yes I understand that I am crazy for trying, but I would have no respect for myself if I had just given up and been complacent with where I was).

With that said, I hate to sound negative, but to get accepted it will likely someone in our position years of our lives and thousands of dollars to get to where you want to be. But in the end, if your in a job that you don't love, then what the hell are you doing? We only live once, and I would rather look back in 50 years (hopefully) and have no regrets that I did the best that I could to try to achieve my dream, whether I achieve them or not.

That said, DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER! For every school that denied you call them and schedule an application review and try to figure out what they didn't like (Obviously it will be GPA and it will literally sound like a broken record after the first few-I applied to 17 my first cycle and had 14 application reviews and they all said the same thing, but write down their suggestions and take a big picture at what they had to say, as they will be the ones accepting/denying you the following cycle).

Perseverance builds character, and life experience, in my opinion, is invaluable. I am who I am because of my mistakes, and I relish them. As such, do the best you can and stop making excuses. Just dominate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Thank you, tendram & Mediumrare, and everyone else in this thread for instilling hope and spreading positivity to those who are down under. You are giving incredible strength to others through your kind words of wisdom, and I am using your advice as motivation! Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

I've been checking out these posts for awhile now and a few people seem to have similar issues to me. I figured I'd post to get a little advice for myself.

I have one semester of undergrad left and my current overall GPA is 2.41 and my science gpa is 1.96. I've taken ochem twice and got a C in it the second time. I'm also taking ochem 2 right now for the third time. I was unsure about what I wanted to do once I graduated.. At first I just wanted to get a job but after continuous shadowing and research I'm sure I want to go to dental school. I know SOMEONE will have some criticism but honestly I've heard it all and at this point I just need some honest help and advice. If I make some sort of game plan I'll have more motivation to go through with it and achieve what I want. At this point, I just feel like a lost cause.

I feel like the best option for me would be to pursue a postbac but I'm so confused as to what kind of postbac or which programs to apply to.

I've also considered not graduating next semester and staying longer to retake some of my classes but that is something I really don't want to do. I'd much rather start a postbac somewhere.

What would you suggest I do?

If anyone has any suggestions to any good programs or what my next step should be that will help me get accepted into dental school in the future that'd be great. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

Hey everyone, I just wanted to post here for people not to lose hope because of a low GPA. I know that it's going to be a tough battle and I applied to 15 schools this year and I just got into one today and it's my top choice as well (University of Michigan). I had under a 3.0 for both overall and science GPA and I don't want to post specific stats but schools don't look just at GPA obviously. I think I maybe had luck as well as a strong extracurricular background as a candidate. Feel free to message me if you want to ask me anything or just talk. Good luck to everyone!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Based on my experiences over the past 2 cycles I think gaining acceptance with sub 3.0 is extremely rare. Last cycle I had 3.07 cumulative and 2.86 sci with 20/22/22 (16rc) and avg EC, I literally received nothing. No rejection letter via email or snail mail just complete silence. Now this cycle with 3.2 and 3.0 (and a great upward trend with 4.0s and gpas close to 4.0) and a much better DAT score (in sig below) and more EC (shadowing private office for ~75hrs) I got only 2 pre-dec interviews out of the 14 schools applied to. A rejection and waitlist. With me at least the combo of high DAT low GPA did not pan out very well at all. A high DAT alone is not enough to save you if you have a low GPA and avg EC.

The only way I can see someone with a GPA around or below 3.0 get accepted is if the applicant is a nontrad that had a decent enough job for long enough or did massive amounts of research work and/or community service. Both of these people will still need at least a 22AA though.

The only way to save yourself from rejection hell or waitlist purgatory is to have a DAT that's around a 22AA or higher (with nothing below 19 or 20) and to also have awesome EC like nontrads sometimes do and those guys who do research and community service do.

Im highly dubious that the school Im waitlisted at will bring me any good news. I feel the same about my 1 post-dec interview I have scheduled in the end of january. Im going to be applying next june for the 3rd cycle, I really hate myself for not seeing the importance of unique EC until it was too late for this cycle.

People, learn from my mistakes. Show a good upward trend in your GPA and destroy the DAT but also remember to make your EC stand high above others by doing the standard of 100+ hrs of shadowing that everybody else does and something else unique that few do.

I learned this all out when I became buddies with a guy I met during interviews. His cumulative was ~3.1, science 3.0, 23AA and a 1000+hrs of research. My cumulative GPA and DAT scores are both higher than his so you would assume Im at a better place than him but that is not so. He had 7 pre-dec interviews as of that day I met him in late October and I had only 2 measly interviews.

Reactions: 2 users