The Under 3.0 Club part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
An obvious effort to boost your GPA will not go unnoticed.

It all really depends on how well you can do on your DAT. But lets assume that you did well in your DAT. You'll definitely get interviews but be prepared to explain your low performance in those grades.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I currently sitting on a 2.46 sGPa, 2.54 BCP and 2.80 overall GPA, my DAT scores are as follows: AA 22/PAT 22/ TS 22/ BIO 21/GC 26 Oc 21/QR 20/RC 20. I really want to go dental school and I am currently taking 6 credits of post-bacc courses. I have been playing around with the numbers and if I take 32 credits of post-bacc upper division biology courses my BCP would be 3.05 and sGPA would be 2.92 and cGPA 3.01 that is if I get a 4.0 in my post-bacc. considering the following would you guys recommend a masters over post-bacc or is this route going to give me just as much a chance as masters. Obviously, I don't feel like I can get 4.0 with masters, not that it would be easy with the undergrad biology courses but I feel that I would have a better chance at 4.0 than with masters. Please provide on honest input on which route to take as I really want to pursue dentistry.

Hey guys I currently sitting on a 2.46 sGPa, 2.54 BCP and 2.80 overall GPA, my DAT scores are as follows: AA 22/PAT 22/ TS 22/ BIO 21/GC 26 Oc 21/QR 20/RC 20. I really want to go dental school and I am currently taking 6 credits of post-bacc courses. I have been playing around with the numbers and if I take 32 credits of post-bacc upper division biology courses my BCP would be 3.05 and sGPA would be 2.92 and cGPA 3.01 that is if I get a 4.0 in my post-bacc. considering the following would you guys recommend a masters over post-bacc or is this route going to give me just as much a chance as masters. Obviously, I don't feel like I can get 4.0 with masters, not that it would be easy with the undergrad biology courses but I feel that I would have a better chance at 4.0 than with masters. Please provide on honest input on which route to take as I really want to pursue dentistry.

Masters.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sharing my story during my midterm break.
Undergrad gpa: 2.01 BCP, 2.5 OGPA
Postbac: 3.8 with 100+ credits (2 CC, 1 extension, 2nd bachelors and a postbac certificate 4 extra years of education)
Cumulative: 3.1 bcp, 3.0 ogpa
DAT: 22AA/23TS/22 PAT I think..
1 cycle = 1 interview post december/ no acceptance.
2nd cycle = 9 invites /1 acceptance ( mediocre interview skills prior to my last interview).
Things I would suggest:
-Take breaks if you need to do some soul-searching.
-Be active learner, don't miss class b/c it sounds "boring".
-Learn how to study efficiently.
-Be well rounded applicant (community service, research,etc).
-Develop good verbal/writing skills.
-Be positive/optimistic, even if you have to fake it.
-Make sure you really want to become dentist.
-Contact the schools to find out your "real" chance, not SDN.
-If it is what you really want, try your best, stick until the end and you will get in.

Reactions: 7 users
Postbac: 3.8 with 100+ credits (2 CC, 1 extension, 2nd bachelors and a postbac certificate 4 extra years of education)
2nd cycle = 9 invites /1 acceptance ( mediocre interview skills prior to my last interview).
Things I would suggest:
-Take breaks if you need to do some soul-searching.
-Be active learner, don't miss class b/c it sounds "boring".
-Learn how to study efficiently.
-Be well rounded applicant (community service, research,etc).
-Develop good verbal/writing skills.
-Be positive/optimistic, even if you have to fake it.
-Make sure you really want to become dentist.
-Contact the schools to find out your "real" chance, not SDN.
-If it is what you really want, try your best, stick until the end and you will get in.

Nicely done. Looks easy on paper, but not so easy if one has to do it.
Thumbs up!

If you don't mind me asking, but what do you think went wrong for those eight schools that didn't accept you? If you think it is your mediocre interview skills that held you back at those eight schools, what advice would you give to people who are interviewing soon?
Thank you : )

If you don't mind me asking, but what do you think went wrong for those eight schools that didn't accept you? If you think it is your mediocre interview skills that held you back at those eight schools, what advice would you give to people who are interviewing soon?

I am curious as well!

A lot of times , even if you have interviews , they don't accept you bases on the acceptance point system. A lot of schools have this. So even if you get an interview, you will get very few points based on your GPA , even if you killed the interviews. I'm in the same pickle. I have 6 interviews , similar stats to laughing gas. And I know that an acceptance is going to be tough , because my stats are low. Hoping for the best though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I am writing here are all my speculations. I haven't contacted any schools regarding the reason to my rejections post my acceptance.
When I say mediocre, I meant terrible interviewing skills. I showed sign of nervousness to some of the interviewers. Also, two of my interviewers for different schools were researchers: I have zero research experience. Pretty much they were not really interested in me without research experience; one of them didn't let me talk at all; I just sat there and had to listen to him talk about how great their school was for 10 minutes.
A good number of schools required a writing sample. I am definitely not a good writer. It took me a month to get my personal statement peer reviewed and had to edit the final draft 10+times. Writing samples are given 30 minutes. With lack of sleep due to time difference and tiredness, my grammar wasn't going to be any better, nor was the composition of the writing (also english is my third language). This is why I recommend others to develop good writing skills prior to interviews.
Some schools use a point system just as @MasterDental said. They categorize each part of application (GPA, DAT, Extracurricular, Research, Interviews) into percentages, add all the points, and rank the applicants.

Some tips that I can give in order to do well for your interviews are the following:
1. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!! I cannot emphasize this enough. Have a friend, significant other, a parent, a coworker, or anyone you can find practice interview questions with you. This will help because you'll have a good idea of what you want to say, how to say it, and prevents you from babbling on. If possible, keep your answers to the point; try not to deviate from your core response too much.
2. If you're like me and have to travel across the country for interviews, try to get there 2 nights before the interview day. It may not seem like much, but you'll be much more adjusted and well rested. For a few interviews, I flew the red eye, and it was not a good idea. Exhaustion can cloud what you want to say.
3. Writing may not come as easy as to some, I'd say grab a novel or two, or even three if you have time, and just read. You may even want to just time yourself for 20-30 minutes and see what you can come up with. Use interview questions as topics.
4. If you're not confident, feeling cheerful, or hate where you are, just fake it. I realized that many of the interviewers (students and staff) observe potential candidates to see how they interact with others. It makes sense right? You wouldn't want to hire someone you won't be able to hang out with.
5. Educate yourself! Make sure you are knowledgable about the school. It can include the specific volunteer programs the school offers to a research program you're interested in. By being aware of what's going on the school, it shows that you genuinely want to attend the school (even if you may not).
6. Lastly, be yourself (unless you're a crazy sociopath... then be someone else). Let your true self shine through!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys, i'm in a similar situation and wanted some advice..
cGPA: 2.74
sGPA: 2.79
Yet to take the DAT.
I still have 33 credits to go (currently in my 4th year). The problem is i already took 58 courses (community college and undergrad combined). Even if i pull all A's for my last 11 courses i'll still end up shy of cGPA 3.0.
Should i keep plugging at it until i hit 3.0 or just try doing a masters. What masters do you guys recommend.

I wish everyone good luck:)

Hi everyone,

Wanted to get everyones take on my odds and get advice as to what you think I should do to increase my odds of getting in ...here are my stats

Undergrad gpa: 2.78 overall, 2.34 BCP, 2.37 Science
Masters of biomedical sciences gpa: 3.87
Cumulative gpa (Undergrad + Masters combined): 2.94 overall with 2.85 BCP and 2.76 Science
DAT: PAT=17, QR=21, RC=23, Bio=22, GC=19, OC=23, TS=21, AA=22
6 solid reccs
8 credits at UMDNJ dental school with grades of A (5 credit class) and B+ (3 credit cass)
~60 hours shadowing (and currently adding more)
Over 4000 hours research experience in academia and industry (including 2 publications)...I hope and WANT to use all this training as a scientist to innovate in the dental field should I get a shot at dental school
Decent amount of volunteering/community service (although I am currently doing more)

I'm hoping my personal statement can also give me an extra umph or nudge...I've had dental problems my entire life (8+ years of braces, speech issues, alot of pain, including double jaw surgery that I received in May to treat TMD, had my jaw wired shut for a month and liquid only diet for 6 weeks!!)....the last thing is, that although I should apply to as many schools as possible, my mom was diagnosed with a serious form of cancer recently and I STRONGLY prefer to stay local (NYU, UMDNJ/Rutgers etc)

With all of that being said I need all of your help. My top choice is Rutgers. What do you guys recommend to give myself a shot? Should I take the DAT again??...I was actually disappointed with the scores since I was getting 25s on the sciences on my practice tests and ended up with a 22, and I lost track of time during the PAT which was a huge mistake

As far as extra cirruculars is there anything else you guys would suggest?? All comments, negative and positive, are appreciated..thanks

were do you get your masters?? that's solid
Hi everyone,

Wanted to get everyones take on my odds and get advice as to what you think I should do to increase my odds of getting in ...here are my stats

Cumulative gpa (Undergrad + Masters combined): 2.94 overall with 2.85 BCP and 2.76 Science
6 solid reccs
8 credits at UMDNJ dental school with grades of A (5 credit class) and B+ (3 credit cass)
Over 4000 hours research experience in academia and industry (including 2 publications)...I hope and WANT to use all this training as a scientist to innovate in the dental field should I get a shot at dental school
Decent amount of volunteering/community service (although I am currently doing more)

I'm hoping my personal statement can also give me an extra umph or nudge...I've had dental problems my entire life (8+ years of braces, speech issues, alot of pain, including double jaw surgery that I received in May to treat TMD, had my jaw wired shut for a month and liquid only diet for 6 weeks!!)....the last thing is, that although I should apply to as many schools as possible, my mom was diagnosed with a serious form of cancer recently and I STRONGLY prefer to stay local (NYU, UMDNJ/Rutgers etc)

With all of that being said I need all of your help. My top choice is Rutgers. What do you guys recommend to give myself a shot? Should I take the DAT again??...I was actually disappointed with the scores since I was getting 25s on the sciences on my practice tests and ended up with a 22, and I lost track of time during the PAT which was a huge mistake

As far as extra cirruculars is there anything else you guys would suggest?? All comments, negative and positive, are appreciated..thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you ever take practice DAT 2007 version and used the score conversion?

I think I did...wasnt that the one that had a bunch of errors?

I think I did...wasnt that the one that had a bunch of errors?

your dat seems fine. 22AA is a 22AA.

otherwise, when you apply, only apply to nyu and rutgers. don't mention mom's cancer at all. only thing you want to present to adcoms is your overwhelming devotion to the pursuit of a dental career.

your dat seems fine. 22AA is a 22AA.

otherwise, when you apply, only apply to nyu and rutgers. don't mention mom's cancer at all. only thing you want to present to adcoms is your overwhelming devotion to the pursuit of a dental career.

Thanks for the advice Ferneezy...I see what you mean about not mentioning my moms health...although my mom has had surgery and a very tough regimen of chemo to treat the cancer, her prognosis is looking great especially since it has not spread to any areas other then the primary location...still, I think adcoms may be fearful and think "what if something goes wrong with her health and this guy tanks, we dont want that". Whatever the case, I'm not the kind of person to tank when things go bad, I move forward simply because life does not offer any other options. One big thing I've learned from the past year (the worst year of my life) is that if you dont maintain youre composure when things go bad, the bad tends to pile up and accumulate, making matters much worse. Youve got to keep your cool and stay strong. An example of this would be when I would drive my mom to her chemo sessions, at times my mother would ask for benedryll to help her fall asleep, and when she did, Id open up my DAT destroyer and get to work; then when she woke up I'd put it away and go back to keeping her company. Also, I took the DAT on a Monday, and the Friday before, my mother had a chemo induced seizure where she passed out and slammed her face on the floor, fracturing her nose...bad thing is it was the first time this had happened and to me it looked like she was having a stroke....so I thought it was over and shes gone...thankfully it wasnt that bad and was just a bad seizure...This was a FEW DAYS before my Dat and I was stressed as hell which is probably why during the DAT my TMJ pain shot up (yes DURING my DAT)...seems like the universe/god is sparing no expense to F me over, but I stuck it out because I WANT THIS BAD (and also I couldnt afford to change my DAT date literally because money was so tight because of my moms treatments and my own medical bills dealing with TMD)...I feel like these would be good examples of my overwhelming desire to be in the dental field, but I would never mention it to any adcoms because of my aforementioned fears and I also dont want to be perceived as one of those "sob stories"...Id rather they see my numbers and accomplishments post undergrad and judge me on that. what do you think? do you have any other thoughts on this because I have some friends pushing me to mention all of this because "an excuse is better then no excuse" and what if they ask why I took the dat so late or why I applied to only one school last year?

I also forgot to add that my applications were sent in on 7/7/14...should I be concerned that I havent heard back from anyone yet? Status for all schools is right now on aadsas is "Received/under review". And I applied last cycle too...Only to NYU though since given my mothers/own health dilemna, I wasnt able to take the DAT until much later then I had planned and by the time my application was ready NYU was the only one of my options whose application deadline had not passed yet....I did get an interview but was waitlisted

Sorry about the rant...feels good to let it out though

I really love this site, so I thought I'd ask for advice on my journey to dental school.

I'm currently a Jr. I must say that the journey has been an interesting one, but I am learning a lot.

I recently calculated my gpa, and including all grades (including the repeats, and grades from the college I transferred from). My overall gpa is 2.8. The sciences that I'm currently in:

Gen Chem: B
Botany: A
Physics: C
Human Anatomy: A

Those are currently my grades at midterm.

I still have Physics II, Genetics, Ecology, Chem II, Organic I & II, Biochemistry. I'll be attending summer sessions and staying an extra year to finish everything.

My question is what mostly everyone asks, "Are my chances of gaining admission gone?"

I only ask because I read the forum, and mostly everyone has really high GPAs. I'm 23 yrs old, and sometimes my thoughts get the best of me. I begin thinking about my age, what if I dont get in, etc.

Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks!!!

Hi everyone. I really need help. I started a post-bacc summer 2013 (a la carte at local school) and Orgo is ruining my life. I took Orgo I three times (F, C-, A+). I just got a C on my first Orgo II exam. I'm also in Microbio and a Women's Health class. I'm wondering if I should drop Microbio so I can have more time to study for Orgo?? Will it look bad if I have a W on my post-bacc transcript? I'm so overwhelmed. I took on too much this semester; I also work 3 days a week.

I did a BA in Psych w/ a 3.2 cum GPA. I had an upward trend, went from a bunch of W/C/D grades to straight A's senior year. The following GPAs take into account all of my grades, including the F and everything from undergrad.

BCP GPA: 2.64
BCP + science: 2.843
nonscience: 3.29
overall GPA: 3.055

What should I do? I feel really compelled to drop a class. I was planning on applying June 2015 if possible, but I'm wondering if I'll need to do an SMP to even have a chance. If I did well on the DATs and got my bcp GPA up to a 3.0, would I even be considered? I worked for many years as a dental assistant, starting in high school. The dentist I worked for is my mentor and would write me a great LOR. I really really want this and I don't want to give up because of a couple of hard classes.

Thanks in advance!

Then don't drop the class if you really want it. I am in the same position as you. Keep working at it, change your study habits. If you want it you'll get it.

Hi everyone. I really need help. I started a post-bacc summer 2013 (a la carte at local school) and Orgo is ruining my life. I took Orgo I three times (F, C-, A+). I just got a C on my first Orgo II exam. I'm also in Microbio and a Women's Health class. I'm wondering if I should drop Microbio so I can have more time to study for Orgo?? Will it look bad if I have a W on my post-bacc transcript? I'm so overwhelmed. I took on too much this semester; I also work 3 days a week.

I did a BA in Psych w/ a 3.2 cum GPA. I had an upward trend, went from a bunch of W/C/D grades to straight A's senior year. The following GPAs take into account all of my grades, including the F and everything from undergrad.

BCP GPA: 2.64
BCP + science: 2.843
nonscience: 3.29
overall GPA: 3.055

What should I do? I feel really compelled to drop a class. I was planning on applying June 2015 if possible, but I'm wondering if I'll need to do an SMP to even have a chance. If I did well on the DATs and got my bcp GPA up to a 3.0, would I even be considered? I worked for many years as a dental assistant, starting in high school. The dentist I worked for is my mentor and would write me a great LOR. I really really want this and I don't want to give up because of a couple of hard classes.

Thanks in advance!

Organic chemistry shouldn't be that difficult if you put in enough time and effort.
If you just don't seem to grasp the material, getting a tutor can be a huge help.

I've been tutoring organic chemistry in and out of campus for a couple of years and most students say when I teach them little tricks and shortcuts, they wonder why their professors didn't teach them that way or why they even bothered going roundabout way on some of the things. If you get a good tutor, they will teach you tricks, and if you are lacking foundation, they can help you establish the foundation that you need to do well on the second semester portion of the class.

Try finding someone who took the class or you can find someone on Wyzant or craigslist.
Wyzant's tutoring rate can be up to $35~40, but if you offer them cash, they can cut you a deal.

Also, try chad's video if your foundation is very very weak and you need a refresher.
I cannot vouch for it, but I have seen many people recommending "organic chemistry as a second language"

A lot of times , even if you have interviews , they don't accept you bases on the acceptance point system. A lot of schools have this. So even if you get an interview, you will get very few points based on your GPA , even if you killed the interviews. I'm in the same pickle. I have 6 interviews , similar stats to laughing gas. And I know that an acceptance is going to be tough , because my stats are low. Hoping for the best though.

that kinda blows for people with mediocre stats because even if you kill the interview, your mediocre stat can set you way back and people with great stats can get ahead of you even if they bomb the interview.

@DenCam902 I would drop the course and take the W. If you take anything other than Bs from now on, it will be harder to reach 3.0. Do the calculations yourself

that kinda blows for people with mediocre stats because even if you kill the interview, your mediocre stat can set you way back and people with great stats can get ahead of you even if they bomb the interview.
Not always the case. If you bomb the interview because of your poor social skills, you will probably not get accepted. There are several examples of this situation.

Not always the case. If you bomb the interview because of your poor social skills, you will probably not get accepted. There are several examples of this situation.
Maybe i should have said if people with higher stats doesnt perform their best. If they bomb it, i guess its automatic no.

Hello everyone, I would appreciate any advice or input. Around three years ago I didn't really know what I wanted to do and then I was able to interact with dental students and I realized that it is something I would love to do, work with my hands and help people. However, I don't know if it was too late when I realized what I wanted to do in the future :/. I went to a community college for five years, I was learning English and then I began taking science classes. It was a big transition for me and I did not do good but I continued taking more science classes and then I transferred to a four year university. I transferred last year and I'm currently in my senior year and hopefully I'll graduate next year.

Well, my question is do you guys think I should quit my dream because it is impossible to fix my stats, or should I apply next year and see what happens and get rejected?, or should I do a postbac? or should I do a Masters?. I talked to the health advisor in my university and he didn't really help much, he just told me to do better this year and see how that goes. these are my stats;

BPC = 2.56
sGPA= 2.89
oGPA=2.96

I still have one year left before I get my bachelors and I could boost my GPA a little bit more but I don't know if that would make a big difference. I also have been shadowing and I have around 100hrs of shadowing, I volunteer at the Emergency Department in a health center near my home, I have worked over 200 hrs with patients with disabilities and I volunteer at a small dental clinic at a church near home. Also, I came to the US around 8 years ago and I hope coming from a minority (hispanic) will help.I haven't taken that DAT but Im planning in taking it this coming January.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for any advice!! :)

I think either a masters, smp or postbach will help. Gpa is low, but its certainly repairable.

It wont be rasy though. You will also want to do well on dat.

Hello everyone, I would appreciate any advice or input. Around three years ago I didn't really know what I wanted to do and then I was able to interact with dental students and I realized that it is something I would love to do, work with my hands and help people. However, I don't know if it was too late when I realized what I wanted to do in the future :/. I went to a community college for five years, I was learning English and then I began taking science classes. It was a big transition for me and I did not do good but I continued taking more science classes and then I transferred to a four year university. I transferred last year and I'm currently in my senior year and hopefully I'll graduate next year.

Well, my question is do you guys think I should quit my dream because it is impossible to fix my stats, or should I apply next year and see what happens and get rejected?, or should I do a postbac? or should I do a Masters?. I talked to the health advisor in my university and he didn't really help much, he just told me to do better this year and see how that goes. these are my stats;

BPC = 2.56
sGPA= 2.89
oGPA=2.96

I still have one year left before I get my bachelors and I could boost my GPA a little bit more but I don't know if that would make a big difference. I also have been shadowing and I have around 100hrs of shadowing, I volunteer at the Emergency Department in a health center near my home, I have worked over 200 hrs with patients with disabilities and I volunteer at a small dental clinic at a church near home. Also, I came to the US around 8 years ago and I hope coming from a minority (hispanic) will help.I haven't taken that DAT but Im planning in taking it this coming January.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for any advice!! :)
I agree with the post below. Nail your last year , and you should have a 3.0 in oGPA and science by the end of your undergrad. Then do a masters or SMP , and kill the DAT , and you should be fine. But you gotta get 3.8+ from here on , on your last year and your master's first year. Best of luck

Hello everyone,
I'm currently an undergrad sophomore in my fall semester and here are my current stats (science math courses only)

calculus F (freshman)
chemistry D - retaken during summer session and made a B (freshman)
physics C (freshman)
physics 2 - withdrawn this semester (sophomore)

I'm currently planning on taking chemistry 2 and biology 1 in the spring semester.

Because I made a D in chemistry 1 freshman year fall semester, I wasn't able to take chemistry 2 spring semester. So right now, I'm technically a year behind the normal predental schedule.

I just feel really bummed about my pre-req grades so far..
I made the decision to withdraw physics 2 this semester because the highest i would make be able to make would have been a C+ in the class so it would have lowered my GPA.

My current GPA is around a 2.75 (for all courses incl. non-science)
All my nonscience courses are A's and B's

Does anyone have any tips for me?

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I'm currently an undergrad sophomore in my fall semester and here are my current stats (science math courses only)

calculus F (freshman)
chemistry D - retaken during summer session and made a B (freshman)
physics C (freshman)
physics 2 - withdrawn this semester (sophomore)

I'm currently planning on taking chemistry 2 and biology 1 in the spring semester.

Because I made a D in chemistry 1 freshman year fall semester, I wasn't able to take chemistry 2 spring semester. So right now, I'm technically a year behind the normal predental schedule.

I just feel really bummed about my pre-req grades so far..
I made the decision to withdraw physics 2 this semester because the highest i would make be able to make would have been a C+ in the class so it would have lowered my GPA.

My current GPA is around a 2.75 (for all courses incl. non-science)
All my nonscience courses are A's and B's

Does anyone have any tips for me?

you need to start to try and get stuff together because those random grades below B and a withdrawl will probably not look good if you don't improve it and show upward trend soon enough.
Try not taking too many science/math courses together. Try 2~3, but don't go over that. Some people get overzealous sometimes, but it can hurt your grade if you take too many at the same time and you don't grasp the material well enough due to lack of time.

Hey guys, wondering what i should do in my situation
Major: Biological Science
sGPA: 2.78
Haven't done the DAT yet.
Reason for the hilarious GPA: horrendous 1st year where i had 5 fails.:(
I do have 11 more courses to finish undergrad, but since i already have so many credits (i've already done 2 years of community college prior to uni), i can realistically pull those GPA's up only to about ~2.9. To top it off, i'm Canadian, so i'm assuming i really do need to have a high GPA.

Am i completely screwed? I'm guessing i'd need to do some kind of masters. Should i be looking at MPH or a more sciency MSc? or should i just slave away at undergrad courses until i get to that 3.0 threshold.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!
First off I really hope you retook those 5 courses you failed and got all "A"s cuz if you hope to fix that GPA you have fix those "F"s.
Beef up your undergrad cum & sci GPAs to 3.0 at least. Delay your graduation if you have to and take more classes until 3.0. Then do a 1yr masters in a legit science field in bio or chem that's related to dentistry. Get at least 3.8 or 3.9.

Remember, GPA is king. You have to make sure you overall & science GPAs (undergrad and masters together) are at least 3.2.

Kill the DAT (22+AA), have great EC (research, volunteer etc) and you'll have a good chance of getting in somewhere.

I do have 11 more courses to finish undergrad, but since i already have so many credits (i've already done 2 years of community college prior to uni), i can realistically pull those GPA's up only to about ~2.9. To top it off, i'm Canadian, so i'm assuming i really do need to have a high GPA.

Am i completely screwed? I'm guessing i'd need to do some kind of masters. Should i be looking at MPH or a more sciency MSc? or should i just slave away at undergrad courses until i get to that 3.0 threshold.

wow i'm in like the same position as you excluding the fact i'm American

Don't do an MPH. My best advice is to just call the schools you are interested in and see what they want. You will need to score above a 20 (This is a fact) on the DAT so do not make plans for the summer

Thanks for the reply! :) I've repeated 3 of those F's and got A's. I'll do the other 2 during this summer.
I guess the best way to improve my GPA would be to rack up more A+'es so i can get that 4.3.
Most of the bio or chem masters i found in Canada are 2 years. Do applicants ever abandon their masters half-way to start Dentistry? I'm just curious how that's looked at by the admissions.

Thanks for the feedback!
Some schools will rescind your acceptance of you do something that like.

So I think I fall under the category: I have 3.3 non sci gpa overall 3.00 and sci 2.5 and bcp like 2.4! I think in gonna apply to masters And I took DAT twice first time got 19/19/TS/AA and 18/17 second time. I think I probably should take one more time but after a masters program?

Hello everyone. Longtime lurker, first time poster. I feel I owe it to the community here to let you guys know that it is very possible to get into dental school with a low GPA. Never give up! Now I don't really have a crazy story, but here it is:

Graduated undergrad with a 2.91 GPA. I moved back home and took classes at my state school (informal post-bac) and knocked out A's until my cumulative GPA was a 3.0. I applied to 17 schools this cycle, and so far received one interview/one acceptance!

I do not consider myself to have any extraordinary extracurriculars or circumstances. My DAT was pretty decent, but nothing crazy like some of the other posters on this site:

PAT: 22
QR: 22
RC: 26
Bio: 19
GC: 22
OC: 21
TS: 20
AA: 22

As a pre-dent with a low GPA, I know what an emotional, uphill battle it can be throughout this process. But if you keep pushing, you WILL get there. Best of luck.

Reactions: 8 users
I'mcurrently finishing my last semesteras an undergrad and trying to pursue a career in dentistry. During my 4 years in college I played basketball and was in several organizations. Having these extra curricular activities hinder my overall Gpa. I'm currently at at 2.73 overall and the highest it can get to is a 2.8. My science Gpa on the other hand is at a 3.2 and I'm prepping for the DAT. What are my chances of getting in a dental school? Or should I get a masters or do post bacc??? Help!!!!

Hi everyone,

6 solid reccs

Hey! Was it difficult getting into the master's program at Rutgers? Can you tell me a little bit about the program? I'm thinking about applying. thanks in advance

I'mcurrently finishing my last semesteras an undergrad and trying to pursue a career in dentistry. During my 4 years in college I played basketball and was in several organizations. Having these extra curricular activities hinder my overall Gpa. I'm currently at at 2.73 overall and the highest it can get to is a 2.8. My science Gpa on the other hand is at a 3.2 and I'm prepping for the DAT. What are my chances of getting in a dental school? Or should I get a masters or do post bacc??? Help!!!!
You may need the masters. I would just speak to a dean to see what they suggest.

I'mcurrently finishing my last semesteras an undergrad and trying to pursue a career in dentistry. During my 4 years in college I played basketball and was in several organizations. Having these extra curricular activities hinder my overall Gpa. I'm currently at at 2.73 overall and the highest it can get to is a 2.8. My science Gpa on the other hand is at a 3.2 and I'm prepping for the DAT. What are my chances of getting in a dental school? Or should I get a masters or do post bacc??? Help!!!

Since you are coming up on 120 semester hours or 180 quarter hours (dunno if youre on sem. or qrt.) then your Overall Gpa wont change that much even if you knock out a 4.0.

Now sGPA > oGPA in the eyes of adcoms and with you having a 3.2 science GPA I would do a year to a year and a half of post bacc classes either formal or informal and this will bump both gpas up assuming you can do very well (3.5-3.6) . Also with it being a 5th year you wouldnt have basketball anymore and would be able to make higher grades.

you definitely do not need to do a masters at this point. As you pull up your science gpa your overall gpa will go up as well, use a gpa calculator and play around with it and see how many hours and with what grades you could see yourself IDEALLY making to bring your GPA up to a 3.0

Also note that what is the most important is
1. Science GPA (BCP)
2. DAT
3. Other Science GPA (exercise science classes and classes that do not start with bio, chem, or phy)
4. Overall
5. Extracurriculars

Some schools wont even interview applicants if their sgpa and ogpa arent a minimum of 3.0.

Reactions: 1 users
I would have to agree with "Dental Fox" (again lol). Also, you seem like your science GPA and impressive extracurricular (basketball) could potentially be close enough where you can get in with a post bac. If you know what school you want to go to and they have a post bac program that could be a great opportunity.
I've been considering a post bacc. But I think il try to accumulate a lot of shadowing and try and ace the DAT. If there's no luck in acceptance the post bacc it is to raise my overall Gpa
Since you are coming up on 120 semester hours or 180 quarter hours (dunno if youre on sem. or qrt.) then your Overall Gpa wont change that much even if you knock out a 4.0.

Now sGPA > oGPA in the eyes of adcoms and with you having a 3.2 science GPA I would do a year to a year and a half of post bacc classes either formal or informal and this will bump both gpas up assuming you can do very well (3.5-3.6) . Also with it being a 5th year you wouldnt have basketball anymore and would be able to make higher grades.

you definitely do not need to do a masters at this point. As you pull up your science gpa your overall gpa will go up as well, use a gpa calculator and play around with it and see how many hours and with what grades you could see yourself IDEALLY making to bring your GPA up to a 3.0

Also note that what is the most important is
1. Science GPA (BCP)
2. DAT
3. Other Science GPA (exercise science classes and classes that do not start with bio, chem, or phy)
4. Overall
5. Extracurriculars

Some schools wont even interview applicants if their sgpa and ogpa arent a minimum of 3.0.

You hit it right on the nail. Il put this into consideration. Thanks a lot. I'm starting to have more comfirt with these feedbacks

Hello,

I am currently a senior year undergraduate and I have a cumulative GPA of 2.83 and a science GPA of 2.45. I have retaken a few of the prerequisites throughout my undergraduate years. There are no post-baccalaureate or master's degree programs where I live and I cannot afford to leave my hometown. My pre-health adviser recommended that I spend a year retaking all the prerequisites that I did poorly in as a non-matriculated student. I calculated what my GPA would be if I did really well while retaking classes for a year and found out that my science GPA would only be about 2.84. I am wondering what my next steps should be and if it would still be possible to get accepted if I had a science GPA below 3.0 but maintained a really high GPA while retaking classes during my gap year.