The Under 3.0 Club part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, was wondering if anyone could provide me with some insight. I graduated from UC Davis about a year ago with a BS. To say that my undergraduate transcript is a disaster would be an understatement. There are a variety of factors that contributed, but the biggest is probably a lack of motivation and any type of goal orientation. I graduated with an overall GPA of 2.5. This is a miracle in itself because Davis allows up to 15 units of retake units. So about 5 F's aren't contributing to the already low GPA. A rough calculation of my science gpa in college including all retakes was an unthinkable GPA of 1.6. I started to get my act together during my 4th year and averaged about 20 units a quarter with a 3.0 gpa. When I came home, I started to realize how big of a crater I had dug myself in and started taking classes at a local state university. So far, i've retaken about 40 units of prerequisite science classes with a GPA of 4.0. I plan to apply during next years cycle and was wondering if I have any chance at all. If I keep up the 4.0 while completing all my prerequisites my overall science gpa will be around 2.7. I recently took a practice DAT and had average scores of around 20-23. Is there any hope for me? I'm planning to apply to about 20-25 schools next year. If I don't get into any of those schools i'm planning on applying to a formal post bac program. I have over 200 hours of volunteer/observation hours at 3 different dental offices.

Please respond with anything that might help. Thank you

Your upward trend is amazing, going from a 1.6 sGPA to getting 4.0's in 40 credits worth of science classes, so it's obvious you do have the brains after all. Score well on the DAT like you said. If I were you, I'd apply to a lot of schools (like you said) and apply to a master's program simultaneously. Although you have a strong showing in your recent 40 credits, your numbers are still real low so no one can tell you if you have a good chance of an acceptance or not. With a master's, though, and the trend you've demonstrated, I think you would have a really good chance of getting in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a master's, though, and the trend you've demonstrated, I think you would have a really good chance of getting in somewhere.
Classic 37:

What Zolar Czakl meant by "Master's" is really a Post-Bac program (MBS). Look under the Post-Bac forum for more information. Good luck.

Classic 37:

What Zolar Czakl meant by "Master's" is really a Post-Bac program (MBS). Look under the Post-Bac forum for more information. Good luck.

Yep; a.k.a. an SMP.

I have a 3.15 overall gpa and a 2.95 science gpa. I graduated from a school that has close to 100% acceptance rate. I have shadowing and volunteer experience and I am really disheartened. I want with every thread in my body to be a dentist but I am running out of money for school and time. Should I apply or move on and try something else which I would not love to do as much as dentisrty. I was also a biology major and took some damn hard courses in my undergrad. Please offer some advice.

I have a 3.15 overall gpa and a 2.95 science gpa. I graduated from a school that has close to 100% acceptance rate. I have shadowing and volunteer experience and I am really disheartened. I want with every thread in my body to be a dentist but I am running out of money for school and time. Should I apply or move on and try something else which I would not love to do as much as dentisrty. I was also a biology major and took some damn hard courses in my undergrad. Please offer some advice.

DAT scores? Also think about a masters. That was my last option.

You know. This AADSAS thing is kinda of funny. I did my prereqs at UMass-Boston plus Biochem and Anatomy & Physiology. I happen to have taken some computer science courses before I decided on dentistry, combined that with my previous weak Brandeis University GPA and this is what AADSAS came back with when my transcripts were verified.
Cumulative 3.24
Non-science 3.04 :thumbdown:
Sciences 3.48
BCP 3.65 :eek:

Granted there are some repeats (that are separated by some 10+ yrs).

I suppose that the AADSAS GPA is what matters not how the undergrad schools calculated their own GPA. So it looks like I am going to get the boot from the sub 3.0 club huh?

Still BCP of 3.65 jeez. My academic total for the DAT is 19. I am planning on retaking the DAT. Do you guys think I have a chance? Since I have several Fs from Brandeis I don't feel like the normal 3.65 GPA person.

Despite the numbers above I feel like the sub 3.0 because of those Fs.

i just got over the hump of 3.0 and i fee like im in a direction of getting into a better shape pursuing my dental career, lets just hope it goes well.

Hi Shortset,
What steps did you take to get in? Were you in contact with someone from the admissions committee?

Hi,

I am also a sub-3.0 member with a terrible undergrad GPA (2.6). I've since started a MS degree in biology and have done fairly well (~3.85...plan on graduating next summer). I am in the process of applying this cycle, and will take the DAT early September.

I just got my GPA verified, and unfortunately, they are pretty low:

Undergrad: 2.46 (BCP)
2.61 (Cumm.)

Graduate: 3.85 (BCP)
3.85 (Cumm.)

Overall: 2.69 (BCP)
2.76 (Cumm.)

Aside from the undergrad GPA, I've got good LOR, EC, dental experience, and research experience (have a paper currently being reviewed by a primary journal).....but it is my understanding that unless you get past the initial "trimming" by the computer, your application won't even be looked at?

Is this correct? Granted I do decent/well on my DAT, will I at least get past the initial computer screening?....or will my ridiculous undergrad GPA kill my chances for this cycle?

Sorry for the long post....just wanted to be clear in describing my situation so as to get good advise.

Thanks all

jjkim,
don't sweat it. Just do well on the DAT. Your graduate GPA will be your saving grace. This will show the adcoms that you are serious and competitive. It won't be diluted by the overall weak undergrad GPA.

I just got my GPA verified, and unfortunately, they are pretty low:

Undergrad: 2.46 (BCP)
2.61 (Cumm.)

Graduate: 3.85 (BCP)
3.85 (Cumm.)

Overall: 2.69 (BCP)
2.76 (Cumm.)

The beauty of the AADSAS application is that they have separate GPA columns for graduate work and that's where your graduate GPA will shine! This is the reason why I often encourage Under 3.0 Club member to go after a formal Post-Bac program where they can start with a new "graduate" GPA instead of continue to take upper division science courses which will only contribute to their already low undergraduate GPA.

Kick @ss on the DAT and keep us updated.

Members don't see this ad :)
jjkim,
don't sweat it. Just do well on the DAT. Your graduate GPA will be your saving grace. This will show the adcoms that you are serious and competitive. It won't be diluted by the overall weak undergrad GPA.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick and encouraging response. But I've got another question that I was hoping to have answered.

Though my graduate GPA is a lot better, the MS program I am currently in is research intensive and as such, I've only been able to take 2 science courses per semester (A TON of research hours and lab duties have kept me from taking additional units). Do you think that because I've only got 23 units of graduate level completed, this in any way diminishes my grad GPA?

The entire MS program requires 30 units to complete because the program is soooo research intensive with a ton of time required to finish. So I've been pretty busy taking classes and conducting research.

Anyhow...I guess three semesters into the MS program...I am just a bit nervous as to whether or not I made the right decision.

Thanks again for any and all of the helpful advice/info/opinions:thumbup:

Hi,

Thanks for the quick and encouraging response. But I've got another question that I was hoping to have answered.

Though my graduate GPA is a lot better, the MS program I am currently in is research intensive and as such, I've only been able to take 2 science courses per semester (A TON of research hours and lab duties have kept me from taking additional units). Do you think that because I've only got 23 units of graduate level completed, this in any way diminishes my grad GPA?

The entire MS program requires 30 units to complete because the program is soooo research intensive with a ton of time required to finish. So I've been pretty busy taking classes and conducting research.

Anyhow...I guess three semesters into the MS program...I am just a bit nervous as to whether or not I made the right decision.

Thanks again for any and all of the helpful advice/info/opinions:thumbup:

In your situation a masters with some course work can only help. A while back there were postbacc threads in which people mentioned that a course intensive masters is ideal. Don't worry about whether the masters is coursework intensive or research intensive. I think they both convey the message that you are serious especially with your graduate GPA.
Besides you are practically done with your masters or nearly done with it. Just rock the DAT. Sometimes people here get hung up on the minor detail. The big picture is that you are telling adcoms that you are serious with an exclamation mark. :thumbup:

The beauty of the AADSAS application is that they have separate GPA columns for graduate work and that's where your graduate GPA will shine! This is the reason why I often encourage Under 3.0 Club member to go after a formal Post-Bac program where they can start with a new "graduate" GPA instead of continue to take upper division science courses which will only contribute to their already low undergraduate GPA.

Kick @ss on the DAT and keep us updated.

Hi Yah-E,

I actually decided to enroll into a MS program after I read one of your old threads....and so I guess I owe you a thanks!

However, while I wanted to enroll in a program that was focused more on science coursework, I was not able to get into any in my area because of my low undergrad GPA. So, I ended up starting a program at one of the state schools here in CA that happened to be research intensive....with only 30 units of coursework required (graduate level science courses as well as some upper level undergraduate courses).

Do you think that this will diminish my graduate level work/GPA? I have been able to get a lot of good research experience (will probably get published within the next month or so) and have great LORs, ECs, dental experience....and hopefully good DAT scores.

So what do you think? Do I have a shot?

Thanks again

In your situation a masters with some course work can only help. A while back there were postbacc threads in which people mentioned that a course intensive masters is ideal. Don't worry about whether the masters is coursework intensive or research intensive. I think they both convey the message that you are serious especially with your graduate GPA.
Besides you are practically done with your masters or nearly done with it. Just rock the DAT. Sometimes people here get hung up on the minor detail. The big picture is that you are telling adcoms that you are serious with an exclamation mark. :thumbup:

Thanks!!

I guess seeing how people are getting rejected with awesome stats (3.5....22) just got me worried and doubting myself.

Anyhow....I guess its back to studying for the DAT.

Thanks again!!

Yah-E,
just out of curiosity I mentioned my GPA previously on this thread what do you take of my situation as somebody who has gone through the ordeal of dental school.

jjKim,
I think you are doing the best of what opportunities were given to you. Sometimes if you can't get through the main entrance you have to get in through the side entrance.

ok guys heres my deal...
i graduated UMCP in 04 with a low GPA (Psych Major) = many issues related to this low GPA, but mostly health probs

after grad i did some post bacc work in the sciences... like all A's and B's = 3.6 + GPA but my aadsas GPAs are low 2.53 overall and 2.73 science (aadsas obviously factored all the courses i took in)

DATS did not go too well... 16 aa -- 18 pat
planning to retake them in Nov 2007

i am taking 11 credits of classes this fall (A&P, Nutrition, and Genetics)

I have ten years dental experience, 100+ hrs community service

lots of LOR's and a strong personal statement.

any comments or suggestions for this year. my apps are in for entering 2008. i have applied to Un. of MD, Howard, Nova, Temple, and BU

please anyone with some help/advice... i need/want to get in this year! what should i do????:scared:

DATS did not go too well... 16 aa -- 18 pat
planning to retake them in Nov 2007

please anyone with some help/advice... i need/want to get in this year! what should i do????:scared:

I believe you should be able to answer your own question here!

You need to rock the DAT 20+/20+ on your second try, if not, no admission for you for 2008, it's that simple!

Cumulative 3.24
Non-science 3.04 :thumbdown:
Sciences 3.48
BCP 3.65 :eek:

So it looks like I am going to get the boot from the sub 3.0 club huh?

Still BCP of 3.65 jeez. My academic total for the DAT is 19. I am planning on retaking the DAT. Do you guys think I have a chance? Since I have several Fs from Brandeis I don't feel like the normal 3.65 GPA person.

Despite the numbers above I feel like the sub 3.0 because of those Fs.

Yah-E,
just out of curiosity I mentioned my GPA previously on this thread what do you take of my situation as somebody who has gone through the ordeal of dental school.

You've obviously done well and dug yourself out of the hole! As much as people enjoy the benefits of this club, lets face it, it's not something that we should be bragging about. Yes, your membership has officially been revoked due to your amazing grades.

If your AADSAS reports a 3.65 GPA for BCP, then GREAT! Who cares how they calculated that? Dental schools will see that GPA and they will run with it. You worked hard to get yourself out of this club, you should be proud!

Keep us updated on your application process, perhaps, a success story can be shared at a later date. Good luck.

You've obviously done well and dug yourself out of the hole! As much as people enjoy the benefits of this club, lets face it, it's not something that we should be bragging about. Yes, your membership has officially been revoked due to your amazing grades.

If your AADSAS reports a 3.65 GPA for BCP, then GREAT! Who cares how they calculated that? Dental schools will see that GPA and they will run with it. You worked hard to get yourself out of this club, you should be proud!

Keep us updated on your application process, perhaps, a success story can be shared at a later date. Good luck.

Still the thread is a inspirational. My DAT is 19 AA and 17 PAT.
Hopefully I'll improve on this.

Heh, I'm in the same boat. I started reading this thread last February with my 2.65 from eight years ago. I quit my job, sold my house, and my wife and I moved into a tiny apartment right next to the local state school. I went back to school full time, crushed the pre-reqs (all A+'s), got into cancer research, and did pretty well on the DAT (21/21/21). My GPA's are now:

Cum - 3.01
Sci - 3.11
BCP - 3.70

I applied early, and I already have interviews lined up at Midwestern and Nova. I feel like I can't post on this thread, though, since I crossed the 3.0 line. Regardless, good luck to all those in the same boat.

for the people who are under 3.o, DONT WORRY!

you just need to get your priorities straight and study on a daily basis. if you really want to reach your goals you must make the sacrifices to do well.

last year i ended my soph year with a 2.9 gpa, now my gpa is a 3.1 and a sci gpa of 3.2, so with dedication and commitment you guys can do it too. manage your time better and all of you will be fine.

last year i ended my soph year with a 2.9 gpa, now my gpa is a 3.1 and a sci gpa of 3.2, so with dedication and commitment you guys can do it too. manage your time better and all of you will be fine.

Dumb question... For those of you calculating your sGPA and BCP how are you doing it? You just guessing a class falls in the BCP or the sGPA catagory and calculating by hand?

I believe you should be able to answer your own question here!

You need to rock the DAT 20+/20+ on your second try, if not, no admission for you for 2008, it's that simple!

u dont think it would be too late for consideration at that point?

Heh, I'm in the same boat. I started reading this thread last February with my 2.65 from eight years ago. I quit my job, sold my house, and my wife and I moved into a tiny apartment right next to the local state school. I went back to school full time, crushed the pre-reqs (all A+'s), got into cancer research, and did pretty well on the DAT (21/21/21). My GPA's are now:

Cum - 3.01
Sci - 3.11
BCP - 3.70

I applied early, and I already have interviews lined up at Midwestern and Nova. I feel like I can't post on this thread, though, since I crossed the 3.0 line. Regardless, good luck to all those in the same boat.

Congratulations on your GPA. By the way, I like your screenname (Sarah_bellum, like cerebellum.;))

I'm just wondering for those that are also in this boat, if you have gotten interviewed or accepted yet?

So here's my story,

I spent a few years at a local community college getting my computer science degree, I have god knows how many credit hours there with a cumulative gpa of maybe 2.2 or so.

I am now doing a 4 year bio/chem double major degree and will probably land a cumulative of about 3.2 or so if I really push it (which I will, I should have about 3.6 science average). I know that i'll have to report my transcript from my old school and I'm pretty worried about it. The reason I'm so stressed out is because I have repeated courses at my old school, and I had to retake physics at my new school.

Sounds exactly like me. I'll prob have a 3.3 gpa out of my 4 year and a decent science gpa but when I add my 4 year gpa to my CC I'll have a 2.8 at best. I'm going to try getting into a masters program.

That's what I get for going to college at 16 I suppose. Is that really the only option? Getting into a masters program? The problem is I've taken out loans to get my 4 year, and I'm loathing the thought of doing 2 more years of loans, then adding on my dental school loans on top of all that.

SMP (Special Master's Programs) are only one year long.

Plus, think about it this way: most likely, schools that will take someone with lower stats will tend to be private; very expensive. If you take out an extra year worth of debt for the SMP, maybe you can get into a state school. In the end, that extra bit of debt in the master's will be more than made up for by 4 years of very cheap tuition at a public dental school (not guaranteed you'd get into a state school, but definitely a way better shot than without the master's).

I am going to be graduating this May with a biology BS. My GPA is horrible with a cumulative ending up around 2.9 and a science around a 2.8. My DAT scores were AA21 TS 22 PAT 23, but so far I have been rejected from everyschool. I applied generally pretty late (end of November), but I don't see myself getting in next year if I reapplied. Should I be applying to a postbacc program? Of the programs I read about, most do not recommend taking them if I have already taken the core sciences as an undergrad. However I feel this is my weak point. PLEASE HELP

dang you're in the same boat as me. i have similar GPA as you, but your DAT is far superior than mine. and now i might not be able to do a post bac program because I am a bio major too?

That's what I get for going to college at 16 I suppose. Is that really the only option? Getting into a masters program? The problem is I've taken out loans to get my 4 year, and I'm loathing the thought of doing 2 more years of loans, then adding on my dental school loans on top of all that.

At least you did go to college when you were 16! Many 16 - 18 year olds drop out of school and contribute to society in their own unique ways!

Applicants such as us in this club don't have the privilege to b1tch about sacrafices such as "too much money"! You will take whatever it takes to get you into a dental school (if that's indeed what you truly want)! If it take another $25K of loans during a Post-Bac master program, then that's what you do.

I had to move away from my family/friends and borrow more loans ($25K), which is still accruing 12% compounding monthly interests as we speak, to bust my @ss off in a Post-Bac program to get into dental schools.

If you GPA blows, then a Post-Bac Master program can help you (if you can even get into one). If the Post-Bac Master program costs $30K/year, then that's what you do. The beauty of American education is if you want it, then there are educational loans for you to do it.

If you complaint about education is too much money or you will have too much debt later when your GPA sucks, then maybe dentistry nor medicine is for you. Applicants like us don't have room to b1tch and moan, whine and complaint, or pick and choose. You work hard, you sacrafice, and you do whatever it takes to prove that you're worthy.

Post-Bac Masters program is not your only option, but it's your BEST option! Good luck and welcome to the club.:thumbup:

At least you did go to college when you were 16! Many 16 - 18 year olds drop out of school and contribute to society in their own unique ways!

Applicants such as us in this club don't have the privilege to b1tch about sacrafices such as "too much money"! You will take whatever it takes to get you into a dental school (if that's indeed what you truly want)! If it take another $25K of loans during a Post-Bac master program, then that's what you do.

I had to move away from my family/friends and borrow more loans ($25K), which is still accruing 12% compounding monthly interests as we speak, to bust my @ss off in a Post-Bac program to get into dental schools.

If you GPA blows, then a Post-Bac Master program can help you (if you can even get into one). If the Post-Bac Master program costs $30K/year, then that's what you do. The beauty of American education is if you want it, then there are educational loans for you to do it.

If you complaint about education is too much money or you will have too much debt later when your GPA sucks, then maybe dentistry nor medicine is for you. Applicants like us don't have room to b1tch and moan, whine and complaint, or pick and choose. You work hard, you sacrafice, and you do whatever it takes to prove that you're worthy.

Post-Bac Masters program is not your only option, but it's your BEST option! Good luck and welcome to the club.:thumbup:

Do you think it's a better option than a straight up masters? If so why? I'm not arguing with you I just want to know which option is better. I'm probably going into a masters. Masters in bio are usually free and you get a stipend for attending.

Do you think it's a better option than a straight up masters? If so why?

Are Post-Bac Masters programs better or more effective than a regular Masters program (ie Biology)....HELL YES! Here's why, straight from mouths of dental school admission chairmans, directors, and committees for weak academic applicants!

A regular Masters, you spend over 50% of time in labs playing with flasks and petri dishes and you're not in classrooms. If you were in the classroom, then it's either BS research courses or you simply don't have enough basic science didactic load.

Even if you get straight As, oop-de-doo! Weak academic applicants like us, dental schools want to see if you can excel in heavy loads of basic sciences courses because average dental school first semesters has 8 classes and 25+ credits load and by you spending time in a laboratory measuring is NOT the way dental schools want to see it!

The main reason you're going into a Masters program is to primarily demonstrate your true academic abilities and secondarily to have a new graduate GPA. What's the best way to demonstrate your true academic abilities (aside from amazing DAT)? The answer is "a full load of graduate level rigorous basic science courses" in an already proven effective Post-Bac Master program affiliated with a medical school! Most of the Post-Bac Masters' curriculum is within a medical school taking classes with the medical students. If you're looking at one that is not taking classes with med students, then I suggest that you look at another one that is!

Plus, a regular Masters is two years long, an effective Post-Bac Masters is only one year long!

With a low undergrad GPA, anything will and can help you, but the most persuasive way to get into a dental school is to kick @ss in a Post-Bac Masters program and to get a 20/20 on the DAT! Let me repeat again:

1. An effective (affiliated with a medical school) Post-Bac Masters program
  2. Get 20/20 on the DAT

All other combinations or options are inferior to what I have listed.

Are Post-Bac Masters programs better or more effective than a regular Masters program (ie Biology)....HELL YES! Here's why, straight from mouths of dental school admission chairmans, directors, and committees for weak academic applicants!

With a low undergrad GPA, anything will and can help you, but the most persuasive way to get into a dental school is to kick @ss in a Post-Bac Masters program and to get a 20/20 on the DAT! Let me repeat again:
  2. Get 20/20 on the DAT

After reading through some of the more recent posts, I think that I will apply to a special masters program as well. I recently finished a post-bacc stint at Penn, where I earned a 3.8. However, even though I applied to 23 schools, I don't have a good feeling about it.

My numbers are:
Undergrad: 2.9
Undergrad science: 2.7
Penn Post bacc: 3.8
AA: 20
TS: 21
PAT: 18

EC's:
600+ hours in a public health center
300+ hours shadowing
Cardiology research (abstract presentation for company sponsor in Japan)
Radiology research
Oral cancer research
Peru dental relief venture
Professional rock climber for Red Bull USA for 2 years

I am on the border for your rough advice for the DAT. I plan on retaking the DAT in November, so maybe I'll pull a higher score. I used the Kaplan book and Topscore last time, but others have listed more helpful resources which I'll take advantage of the next time around.

Also, which programs would you consider effective for the purposes of a masters degree ? I've seen nutrition programs, biotech programs, and other less structured programs out there (Penn comes to mind). The site is a bloody mess on searches, and would most definitely appreciate any program listings that I may have missed so far.

Montserrat:

Some effective Post-Bac Masters programs that I personally know are:

Midwestern University (Master of Biomedical Sciences - MBS Program) offered both in Downers Grove, IL and Glendale, AZ

Barry University (MBS Program)

Nova Southeastern University (MBS Program)

For more of these "effective" Post-Bac Masters programs visit, search, read, and find them in the Post-Bac Forum!

To read about my story in my Post-Bac Masters program at Midwestern University in Glendale, AZ here.

Good stuff man.

Thanks for the post.

A regular Masters, you spend over 50% of time in labs playing with flasks and petri dishes and you're not in classrooms. If you were in the classroom, then it's either BS research courses or you simply don't have enough basic science didactic load.

Even if you get straight As, oop-de-doo! Weak academic applicants like us, dental schools want to see if you can excel in heavy loads of basic sciences courses because average dental school first semesters has 8 classes and 25+ credits load and by you spending time in a laboratory measuring is NOT the way dental schools want to see it!

The main reason you're going into a Masters program is to primarily demonstrate your true academic abilities and secondarily to have a new graduate GPA. What's the best way to demonstrate your true academic abilities (aside from amazing DAT)? The answer is "a full load of graduate level rigorous basic science courses" in an already proven effective Post-Bac Master program affiliated with a medical school! Most of the Post-Bac Masters' curriculum is within a medical school taking classes with the medical students. If you're looking at one that is not taking classes with med students, then I suggest that you look at another one that is!

Plus, a regular Masters is two years long, an effective Post-Bac Masters is only one year long!

2. Get 20/20 on the DAT

Thanks for the info. So these post-bac masters will be in their own category when it comes to GPA then? Just asking because as far as I know doing your own post-bac at any 4 year only adds to your current undergrad GPA.

Thanks for the info. So these post-bac masters will be in their own category when it comes to GPA then? Just asking because as far as I know doing your own post-bac at any 4 year only adds to your current undergrad GPA.

Post-Bac masters program like Master of Biomedical Sciences will offer you a new GPA start, a graduate level GPA. That's why I tell people an "effective" Post-Bac masters program is where it's at!!! You do these upper division sciences courses on your own at your local university, so what if you get all As, they're all will be burried in your low GPA because of the overwhelming number of undergraduate credits.

If you want a new GPA, then don't do this:

1. Take upper division science courses on your own at your local university
  2. enroll in a Post-Bac Bachelors program - since it's another bachelors degree, the new GPA will get averaged into with your old undergraduate GPA

Although a new Graduate GPA from your Post-Bac Masters program will be displayed in a separate column on your AADSAS, there is still a "cumulative"/overall GPA column that averages all your academic work on your AADSAS. The key is that there is a separate column for your new graduate GPA on the application.

Post-Bac masters program like Master of Biomedical Sciences will offer you a new GPA start, a graduate level GPA. That's why I tell people an "effective" Post-Bac masters program is where it's at!!! You do these upper division sciences courses on your own at your local university, so what if you get all As, they're all will be burried in your low GPA because of the overwhelming number of undergraduate credits.

If you want a new GPA, then don't do this:
  1. Take upper division science courses on your own at your local university
  2. enroll in a Post-Bac Bachelors program - since it's another bachelors degree, the new GPA will get averaged into with your old undergraduate GPA
Although a new Graduate GPA from your Post-Bac Masters program will be displayed in a separate column on your AADSAS, there is still a "cumulative"/overall GPA column that averages all your academic work on your AADSAS. The key is that there is a separate column for your new graduate GPA on the application.

Sounds great. Thanks again. I heard there used to be a post-bac masters program at CSU-eastbay cut I can't find any info on it. It must be gone or never existed in the first place. I took a look at the post-bac finder page http://services.aamc.org/postbac/ (I select "special master's degree program") and it seems that most of the programs require a 3.0 and MCAT scores.

Also according to the thread about post-bac that you responded in it says you started in AUG but then applied in NOV of the same year. It's that already late for an application? Also you wouldn't only have 1 quarter done at that time?

Also according to the thread about post-bac that you responded in it says you started in AUG but then applied in NOV of the same year. It's that already late for an application? Also you wouldn't only have 1 quarter done at that time?

When I submitted my AADSAS application in November 2001, yes, I only had one quarter of grades from Post-Bac to submit, but it doesn't mean that I can't continue to update my academic progress with dental schools that you've applied to after I submitted my application?

I applied to 10 dental schools in 2001 and I kept in contact with them all with email. I updated them every step of the way in my academics especially in course grades. After only two quarters of my Post-Bac Masters grades + my new DAT scores were enough to land me interviews and acceptances.

Everything in my application cycle is non-traditional. My application was submitted later, my second DAT were not taken until January, and I didn't get my first interview until February, but I got to start dental school in August of that same year!

Another thing we haven't mentioned yet about this Post-Bac Masters program (PBMP) thing. These Post-Bac Masters programs are pretty competitive to get into, they don't just take any of us dumb@sses who has a below 3.0 and say, "here's an acceptance to our program, now go show them you could do it!".....ah no, no, no....

To apply to these "effective" Post-Bac Masters program, you need a score of an entrance exam (MCAT, DAT, GRE, etc), letters of recommendation, personal statement, and simply put, just like applying to dental schools. Since now these programs are gaining popularity, often you'll have 100+ applicants for only 10 spots! PBMP are much more competitive today than when they were when I had applied. Why are they so competitive, because THEY WORK! These program get students into their professional schools of their choices! That's why if you get into one of these "effective" PBMP, don't **** it up! One C+ in one of the courses, you've blown your chances!

PBMP websites will often state they need MCAT, but if you call them and talk to the program director and explain your situation, then often they will accept the DAT in leu of the MCAT. This is the case for me. I was the only pre-dent in my PBMP, my GPA also did not meet their program requirements, but I simply made a phone call, had my interview over the phone with the program director and he bend backwards to get me into his program!

Man, I've said enough....I'm done helping you pre-dents...I got sh1t that I need to focus more on.

If you want to know more, do some research in the thread or in the PBMP thread...all your answers are there! My last advice to everyone in this club, BE PROACTIVE! Until next time....

I graduated in '94 with a ChemE degree and about a 2.7 cum and 2.3 sci gpa. I failed gen chem 2 and got C's or D's in all my physics. My situation was a bit different than yours, because when I decided to do a post-bacc my coursework was so old that I HAD to retake all the pre-reqs. I retook all pre-reqs and then took every upper level bio course I could for two years (with summer sessions). I got straight A's, aced the dat, and had good, unique community service/EC's/personal essay. I got into two d-schools last year on Dec. 1st.

Congrats on your acceptance. I found your post VERY helpful. I completed my undergrad in August with a 3.57 gpa. Earlier in my schooling - I grad HS in 99 and went straight into college and totally goofed off...so i have c,d,f's,w's ..So I took off school a year before I finally went back and finished my degree. But I much more serious about school now. I have not had any science courses except gen bio and chem and physical science. I am going to retake those for the next year and a half as well as some pre reqs and some adv. level courses. When I calculate my AADSAS gpa including all the c'd'f's it's like a 2.67. I know I can get A's and B's in all of the post bach science courses. But are my chances of getting accepted to a school realistic? Does anyone know how schools look at post bach work compared to negative grades that you got years ago? Thanks

so did anyone with below a 3.0 get in without post-bac?

Does anyone out there have any information about Creighton's Post Bacc Program? I found the information on their website but can't seem to find out how to apply to it.

Hey everyone.....This is encouraging...knowing other people are in the same boat....I was searching the PreDent.com site and guess what I found.......During the 2007 cycle someone got accepted to Meharry with a 2.6/2.5. I dont know how truthful that is...but makes me feel a whole lot better hahahhaha Theres HOPE!!!!!!!!!