The Under 3.0 Club part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What program did you enroll in at Georgia State? I am looking into Atlanta programs and would love to find one in the area that was cost effective and a quality curriculum.

Members don't see this ad.

What program did you enroll in at Georgia State? I am looking into Atlanta programs and would love to find one in the area that was cost effective and a quality curriculum.

Master's in biology non-thesis program. I was also a graduate teaching assistant and taught an anatomy and physiology lab, which fully covered my tuition. I recommend a graduate assistantship to anyone pursuing graduate work, because it covers your tuition in many cases and gives you great experience for whatever field you go into. Also looks great on your professional school app.

Just wanted to join the club with a overall of 2.88 and science of 2.7 with a b.s. in biology at Northwestern.

my dats are AA:22, PAT:20, TS: 20

taking some undergrad courses right now and going to apply again but also looking into post-bacc/grad programs. can applying again (2nd time) hurt me in the long run (other than the cost)?

love to hear your feedback, thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
It was very motivational to read about all of you who are still pursuing your dreams of being a dentist although your scores are not as high as they should be for whatever reason. I gave up on my dream of being a dentist but after reading all of your posts, I feel a sense of hope and confidence. I graduated from UC San Diego with a 2.5 overall GPA with a major in econ. It's been almost two years since I graduated and I now realize the corporate world is not for me. I have always had a great interest in dentistry not only b/c of the financial stability, but the great contribution to society that comes with this title. ;)

I finished calculus 1,2,3 general chemistry 1,2,3 and have taken two quarters of both general bio and physics while I was an undergrad. I got straight As in calculus, straight Bs in chemistry, but bio and physics was a mix of Bs and Cs. So my science GPA (if calculus is included) should be around a 3.0.
I received a couple Ds in econ classes as well which brought my GPA down to the 2.5 I have now. What is the best way to get back on track to achieving my goal of being a dentist? Should I apply to masters programs? Should I try to do really well on ochem at a community college? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!:laugh: Thank you!!

1) make sure you have all the pre-reqs (bio + labs, physics + lab, gchem + lab, ochem + lab)
2) if you do...then doing a masters or post bacc is best...

Thank you so much for quick feedback.. do you think finishing my prerequisites at a community college will hurt my application? If it doesn't, then I would rather try to save some money and go to a CC. Thanks again!!:)

Are there any part time Master program or Post-Bac program? Are there any links for this other than the one on aamc.org?

Is this online MPH program equivalent to "master program"?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=492187

These post-bac program aren't easy to get in. UCI has one, but it is only for minority. USC has one, but I heard you have to apply and they can only take a few.

Last edited:
I just thought I'd say hi to you guys. I've been a long time member of this club without saying much :)

My undergraduate GPA is approximately a 2.8 (I dont have the official AADSAS GPA yet for this cycle)

and my graduate GPA is a 3.6 (Masters in Biotechnology)

My latest take on the DAT was 19/19/19

So I'm hoping I'll be able to get at least 1-2 interviews this cycle since last year I didn't get any. Threads like this keep me hopeful.

hey
my gpa is a 2.5, i am enetering my 4th yr in chemistry,
plan to write the DAT and do well and also do well in my last yr of chem
my gpa wont improve much regardless of how well i do,
any suggestions, what are my chances

hey
my gpa is a 2.5, i am enetering my 4th yr in chemistry,
plan to write the DAT and do well and also do well in my last yr of chem
my gpa wont improve much regardless of how well i do,
any suggestions, what are my chances

Don't graduate. Take craploads of biology and get A's.

but what will that doo, how much will my gpa actually go up

I was in a similar situation. I would recommend graduating on time and going to graduate school for a science based subject. That will show dental schools that you can handle graduate level courses. Also, AASAS separates grad GPA which will emphasize how well you have done after undergrad, and you still boost your overall GPA which factors both undergrad and grad.

Also, AASAS separates grad GPA which will emphasize how well you have done after undergrad, and you still boost your overall GPA which factors both undergrad and grad.

Yup... My 4.0 grad GPA looked very nice sitting next to my sub 3.0 undergrad GPA. That probably helped out with my acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree...this is the best threat ever! It gives me hope! :)

My strong postbacc GPA boosted my sub3.0 bachelors GPA especially the science and BCP GPA. It can be done. Doing without a masters is sweet but you gotta do what you must to get in.

hello all,

this has been a crazy past two weeks as i have been thinking about what to do in the future. i didnt have much motivation or drive in college (UC Berkeley) and came out with a

cGPA - 3.17
sGPA - 2.87

now that im more settled into pursuing dentistry, im hoping to get into the berkeley extension pre-health program, work my butt off, then smoke the DATs. if you guys have any tips or pointers for me, i would appreciate it a lot. thanks for posting up your stories in this post, it encourages and motivates me!

calgoob
work hard, get A's, smoke the DAT, get some dental experience, and show commitment to the field.

now that im more settled into pursuing dentistry, im hoping to get into the berkeley extension pre-health program, work my butt off, then smoke the DATs. if you guys have any tips or pointers for me, i would appreciate it a lot. thanks for posting up your stories in this post, it encourages and motivates me!

See if you can get involved here as it will give you A LOT of hands on experience and boost other areas of your app:

http://www.berkeleyfreeclinic.org/dental.html
http://www.geocities.com/bfcdental/

As I read through this thread again, I had another question come up.

Some people in page 4 were talking about going to a post-bacc masters instead of a real post-bacc program. If I were to have around 20 units of A in all science courses after the one year program along with a sweet DAT score, would I be competitive? I believe my cGPA will be ~3.3 and sGPA ~3.1.

This is assuming I get a good dentist to shadow and write a rec. I have dental missions in the works for the future also so I hope that will show I am dedicated. Any thoughts? Thanks a lot guys.

so, i know i'm in miserable state, but i really need some guidance. for many reasons, i couldn't concentrate fully on my undergrad coursework. i got b+ in both chem classes, c+ in bio classes, b+ in physics 1, absolutely love math and did amazing in it until i got to the higher level classes, didn't pass physics the first 3 times, now am taking it again and hope to get an A to make up for all those mess-ups. same with orgo 2. orgo 1 i dropped the first time, retook and passed with a c+. i'm in horrible shape with my gpa. have a 2.2 overall right now, hope to increase it during fall, but don't know if dental schools will see my updated fall transcript. i took the DAT and got AA:27. i have lots of extracurriculars both dental and non-dental related and great LORs. did a dental mission trip, worked with a dentist for 3 years, and have been volunteering and working at the hospital. i really really don't want to take a year off or do a master's only because i know my parents would hate me bringing up the idea. i used to be a great student, but i don't know what happened to me...:( any ideas on where i can apply? and will i have any chances at getting in anywhere? oh i also forgot to mention, i love painting and love doing things with my hands as my extracurriculars will show (i've heard dental schools like that...) help me please!! :scared:

so, i know i'm in miserable state, but i really need some guidance. for many reasons, i couldn't concentrate fully on my undergrad coursework. i got b+ in both chem classes, c+ in bio classes, b+ in physics 1, absolutely love math and did amazing in it until i got to the higher level classes, didn't pass physics the first 3 times, now am taking it again and hope to get an A to make up for all those mess-ups. same with orgo 2. orgo 1 i dropped the first time, retook and passed with a c+. i'm in horrible shape with my gpa. have a 2.2 overall right now, hope to increase it during fall, but don't know if dental schools will see my updated fall transcript. i took the DAT and got AA:27. i have lots of extracurriculars both dental and non-dental related and great LORs. did a dental mission trip, worked with a dentist for 3 years, and have been volunteering and working at the hospital. i really really don't want to take a year off or do a master's only because i know my parents would hate me bringing up the idea. i used to be a great student, but i don't know what happened to me...:( any ideas on where i can apply? and will i have any chances at getting in anywhere? oh i also forgot to mention, i love painting and love doing things with my hands as my extracurriculars will show (i've heard dental schools like that...) help me please!! :scared:

didn't pass physics 2 that was...and orgo 2 too :scared:

Last edited:
i mean its not really a matter of them being mad that you have to do a masters.. its a strong possibility right? they just have to deal wit it.

but im in the same boat as you man.. i have a 2.5 roughly now and im kicking myself like..i was so much better than this..and in the E.C's youo're even better than me.. i didnt do anything worth mentioning...atleast you traveled and volunteered.. im out of college(well not technically i still have like 2 credits that i have to do a paper for). but i know my gpa isnt gonna be no damn good :laugh:..but im stil wondering if its possible for me to do dentist school..
my parents hate it but they have to deal with it.. im trying to get some volunteering gigs at a dental office somewhere . also thinking of doing some sort of masters program. we all dont want to do it.. but when you have very little options in life.. u just do certain things to take you were you wanna go.

anyway i guess my question disguised as a rant there is...is it realistic folks that i could get into dental school ever with a ~2.5 gpa and i got like C's on both physics, B+ on both Physics labs, failed Calc first time then took it again and got A..failed organic chem-1 first time ..took both(1 and 2) later on and got B. got a B+ on the orgo labs..my downfall has been chemistry of any sorts..did horrible in chem 2 + biochem......is there any hope for me at all or do i just need to abandon this dream.?

what realistic goal should i set..... as far as..how many volunteering i should do. and realistically how long would i have to be out in the real world doing E.C's before i try out for application...? what's the minimum DAT scores that i should get.....because obviously everyone needs a max score..

i was thinking about taking the DAT's sometime later on in a following months just cause the materials are kinda fresh in my mind as far as the classes go

*sighs*....i wish i could turn back the clock of my life and redo college again :laugh::lol:... :(

Last edited:
i mean its not really a matter of them being mad that you have to do a masters.. its a strong possibility right? they just have to deal wit it.

but im in the same boat as you man.. i have a 2.5 roughly now and im kicking myself like..i was so much better than this..and in the E.C's youo're even better than me.. i didnt do anything worth mentioning...atleast you traveled and volunteered.. im out of college(well not technically i still have like 2 credits that i have to do a paper for). but i know my gpa isnt gonna be no damn good :laugh:..but im stil wondering if its possible for me to do dentist school..
my parents hate it but they have to deal with it.. im trying to get some volunteering gigs at a dental office somewhere . also thinking of doing some sort of masters program. we all dont want to do it.. but when you have very little options in life.. u just do certain things to take you were you wanna go.

anyway i guess my question disguised as a rant there is...is it realistic folks that i could get into dental school ever with a ~2.5 gpa and i got like C's on both physics, B+ on both Physics labs, failed Calc first time then took it again and got A..failed organic chem-1 first time ..took both(1 and 2) later on and got B. got a B+ on the orgo labs..my downfall has been chemistry of any sorts..did horrible in chem 2 + biochem......is there any hope for me at all or do i just need to abandon this dream.?

what realistic goal should i set.. as far as..how many volunteering i should do. and realistically how long would i have to be out in the real world doing E.C's before i try out for application...? what's the minimum DAT scores that i should get.....because obviously everyone needs a max score..

i was thinking about taking the DAT's sometime later on in a following months just cause the materials are kinda fresh in my mind as far as the classes go

*sighs*....i wish i could turn back the clock of my life and redo college again :laugh::lol:... :(

in regards to itsallagame....a 27 AA is EXCELLENT and ive heard that schools rely heavily on the DAT scores more so than GPA so sometimes a high DAT scores overrides a low GPA, and all the extra curriculars are much help also...as for where to apply im not sure, definitely your state school and research a little and see what schools favor high DAT scores.

in regards to itsallagame....a 27 AA is EXCELLENT and ive heard that schools rely heavily on the DAT scores more so than GPA so sometimes a high DAT scores overrides a low GPA, and all the extra curriculars are much help also...as for where to apply im not sure, definitely your state school and research a little and see what schools favor high DAT scores.
im in nj and was looking at umdnj.. is that too high of a ground to apply for?

what realistic goal should i set.. as far as..how many volunteering i should do. and realistically how long would i have to be out in the real world doing E.C's before i try out for application...? what's the minimum DAT scores that i should get.....because obviously everyone needs a max score..

to alex101.....a masters isn't a bad idea with a 2.5 GPA or maybe independentally sign up for some more bio classes to boost your GPA or retake the ones you didn't exceed in. also, you mentioned trying to volunteer for a dentist....GO DO IT! dentist are everywhere and 99% of them aren't going to mind you volunteering in their office being that your helping them and not getting paid, and im sure theyll let you shadow, and even write you a good LOR. you have to just go out there and find these places but its not hard, and im not sure when your planning on applying but if its this spring i would start looking for a place ASAP. i would really concentrate on the GPA though instead of abandoning school just to get some EC's (thats why they're called extras...)

just realize its going to take time and a lot of work and as much as we all would like to start dental school tomorrow it doesn't work like that....so make sure you are certain dentistry is your dream and if it is then go for it 100% and dont question whether its worth giving up

good luck! and dont forget....look into a masters....enroll in upper level bio's.....study study study.....find an office to volunteer in....and your set!

im in nj and was looking at umdnj.. is that too high of a ground to apply for?

i wouldnt say that and it helps its your state, but youll have a better shot if you raise your GPA and make sure you do well on the DAT, when are you going to take it?

27AA is not excellent, its as close to perfect as you can expect. I think a 27AA would mean you only got at most 2-3 wrong out of all the 5 of those sections. And those 3 wrong answers could not come from any of the science sections as one wrong already brings that section down to around a 25ish

27AA is not excellent, its as close to perfect as you can expect. I think a 27AA would mean you only got at most 2-3 wrong out of all the 5 of those sections. And those 3 wrong answers could not come from any of the science sections as one wrong already brings that section down to around a 25ish

whoa! your stats are similar to mine! what's your story? any hope for me? :)

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in!!
I am in the same boat with a GPA way under 3.0 but with extenuating circumstances-- Freshmen year I missed a whole semester and more than 1/3 of every semester since then (except this semester so far) because I have Sickle Cell Disease, which flared up. My GPA crashed and burned a bit. I'm feeling a lot better and pursuing a post- bacc program next fall. With that said and with me planning to do well in post- bacc, how much does my undergrad GPA count towards my final Dent. applications?

Keep up the good work and the faith, everyone!

never saw this thread... so i guess ill add to the inspiration...
3.03 cGPA 2.88sGPA 18/19/21 DAT no post bacc stuff, no MS, first time applying (i do have tons of ECs...
6 interviews so far and its pre dec....
dont ever let people tell you, you cant do it... wait and see what ad coms say first...

3.03 cGPA 2.88sGPA 18/19/21 DAT no post bacc stuff, no MS, first time applying (i do have tons of ECs...
dont ever let people tell you, you cant do it... wait and see what ad coms say first...

Congrats man, you're having a great cycle so far!

there was only 1 AA of 27 last year.....its ranked at 100%ile

I'm gonna need to see a score sheet scan to believe that claim

Congrats man! I'm just curious though, b/c we have similar DAT scores, except PAT (18/19/22), but my GPA is much higher......i only have 1 interview.:( What did you do? and how did you do it? I have tons of experience, good lors, good ps, idk man. Congrats anyway.

My AADSAS gpa is 2.99 overall and 2.93 science and my dat is 21/21/20 and I got about 5 interviews and only 1 rejection so far. AND I'm asian. So if I can do this then anyone else can, so don't let anyone put you down.

Congrats man! I'm just curious though, b/c we have similar DAT scores, except PAT (18/19/22), but my GPA is much higher......i only have 1 interview.:( What did you do? and how did you do it? I have tons of experience, good lors, good ps, idk man. Congrats anyway.

I'd say maybe it's my ECs... I have 3500+ hours working as a dental assistant, 400+ hours shadowing, great lors/ps, 150+hours working in a dental lab, good research experience, president of the predental club, 300+ hours doing other random volunteer work.

I'd say maybe it's my ECs... I have 3500+ hours working as a dental assistant, 400+ hours shadowing, great lors/ps, 150+hours working in a dental lab, good research experience, president of the predental club, 300+ hours doing other random volunteer work.

Yeah, but the only thing you really in EC's that I lack is a predental club, which my school did not have. I have also worked as a dental assistant part-time for a few years, and last year full time for 6 months, shadowed since high school, and published a primary research paper in Neuroscience after 2yrs of research. Whatev...........good luck on your interviews.

I think its cause he's hispanic/latino...underrepresented in the health sciences.

Yeah, but the only thing you really in EC's that I lack is a predental club, which my school did not have. I have also worked as a dental assistant part-time for a few years, and last year full time for 6 months, shadowed since high school, and published a primary research paper in Neuroscience after 2yrs of research. Whatev...........good luck on your interviews.

you could of started one?? (I was about to), the one at my school was pretty much dead some friends and I were given the opportunity to take control of it....

I think its cause he's hispanic/latino...underrepresented in the health sciences.

maybe... I dont really care what the reason is, I just want to go to dental school. I'm just here to encourage people because I know how hopeless you can feel at times with a low GPA...

maybe... I dont really care what the reason is, I just want to go to dental school. I'm just here to encourage people because I know how hopeless you can feel at times with a low GPA...

i have a low gpa too so i know how u feel its tough, but if u can get through it and in somewhere its a whole new ballgame..good luck with the interviews i'm sure you will get in somewhere.

i have a low gpa too so i know how u feel its tough, but if u can get through it and in somewhere its a whole new ballgame..good luck with the interviews i'm sure you will get in somewhere.

Yea, I'm right there with you. Its taken me 4 years just to bring my gpa up to what it is at the moment and I'm not even breaking 3.0. But schools will see the work you put in.

Hi everyone,

I just found this thread and I'm in the same situation has everyone here. I have a B.A in bio and my gpa is 3.3 but my sci is in the 2-point range, lots of Cs in science classes. Reading all of your posts have helped answered a lot of my questions and gives me motivation to continue to work hard.

I also have a few questions that I couldn't find the answers to while reading the thread.

1. How old can recommendation letters be before we have to get new ones? I'm in the process of asking for letters and was thinking of asking professors to date them a year ahead so that I don't have to bother them again (mostly b/c they'll probably forget who I am in a year or two)
2. I've the suggestions for masters / post-bacc programs, but I was wondering which would be preferable in my case. Would just taking extra upper division science classes to raise my gpa and show that I can handle those classes be enough? I was hoping just to take out one more year before applying to D school.

Thanks for the suggestions and keep the hope alive!

My AADSAS gpa is 2.99 overall and 2.93 science and my dat is 21/21/20 and I got about 5 interviews and only 1 rejection so far. AND I'm asian. So if I can do this then anyone else can, so don't let anyone put you down.

"AND I'm asian"....hahaha that's awesome

you could of started one?? (I was about to), the one at my school was pretty much dead some friends and I were given the opportunity to take control of it....
That's exactly what I did this past semester. Our university had a pre-med/health professions club and I made the decision over the summer to set things in motion to start a new organization dedicated to both dentistry and dental hygiene. Writing the constitution was the toughest part but we have had great success and turn out with all of our meetings so far!

^agree hahah sucks to be asian and applying to professional schools

Alright guys, I know it's been a long time since you've seen me on here, but I'm back now and I'm ready this cycle. I'm apply in May 2009 to the MCG, MeHarry, UAB, Howard, and Maryland. I'm pretty sure that I'll get an acceptance from MCG, UAB, and MeHarry.

Here are my stats:

undergrad: non-science major 2.72
grad school: non-science major 3.21
postbacc science courses: 3.2

new pre-DAT scores 18/18/ pat22

I'll be testing in June 09...

I say apply to 20+ schools, you just never know who is going to give you that interview... look at my predents...

Whatup fellow college slackers :p

My stats:
Undergrad = 2.8ish (biochem)
Grad currently = 3.85 (pharmacology)

DAT 25/27/17