The University of Oklahoma Waitlisters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It would certainly be nice if I did, but I sure don't. The best I got was the info shared at the reapplicant workshop and he clearly stated that our rank on the list wasn't included in the copy of our file he had, so even if he wanted to tell us, he couldn't.

My 2 cents - it is quite possible that some people with a committee "in" have been given some info (such as deadeyedk who was basically told to "take your other offer, you're not getting in because you are too far down on the list"), but I don't really expect there to be a large number of waitlisters walking around with their rank on the list known to them. This is just good practice for when we do get in. You can't believe what the people next to you are spouting off whether its about knowing their waitlist rank, how many hours they study, or what their exam grade was. Until proven otherwise, I'd just assume that whomever made that statement was either a) trying to knock your confidence or b) had been talking to some folks who were trying to work up their's. There are always going to be wankers about whose greatest source of confidence comes from gnawing away at that of others, don't let them get at you.

Yeah, you're going to encounter people like this all the time. Honestly, those people stating that they know their number are probably lying.

i'll put in my 2 cents on this, since i posted my experience earlier...

i met with one of my interviewers in his office, he was very frank and honest (as you can see from the post). he did tell me that "he would almost bet his life" that i wouldn't get in based on where i sit on the list. that was the ONLY hint about where i am on the list. he did not tell me a number (or even a ballpark figure).

i am also quite close with another doctor on the board this year. i see him/her nearly every weekend, we've talked over drinks many times, my wife and i babysit his/her kids, and he/she has been very open and helpful throughout this process. he/she insists that they cannot tell me my number. or a ballpark figure. and i've come close to begging him/her to tell. no dice.

based on this, it's pretty doubtful that many (if any) others know their actual number. it seems like pretty serious business. that being said, neither of these doctors agree with the practice of not telling the waitlisters their numbers.

it really boggles my mind that the admissions office is so stubborn about this. all it does is keep people in limbo for longer than they have to be. giving people their position on the waitlist would help them better plan for the coming year and help them make better decisions on any other offers.

also, OU's PA school gives waitlisters their exact number. that could possibly be what CUtrixie's acquaintance was talking about (or dental, pharmacy, or nursing school for that matter).

Members don't see this ad :)
also, OU's PA school gives waitlisters their exact number. that could possibly be what CUtrixie's acquaintance was talking about (or dental, pharmacy, or nursing school for that matter).

That's a good point.

Also, thank you for explaining you experience. Someone at the lunch table on interview day (who came across entirely too arrogant for someone interviewing on the same day that I did) inferred that his connections were going to assure him a seat. Perhaps they did, but based on your experience, I highly doubt it. If knowing people on the board and having good relationships with them doesn't move you up on the list, it isn't going to help anyone else. Personally, that makes me feel better. It's not that I don't want you to be successful at OU, only that it suggests that the process is much more by-the-book than I had begun to believe. The only reason I could figure for not sharing the list ranks was that they wanted some wiggle room for moving people around on the list and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Glad to see you back around. I know you must have already paid the fee to hold the spot at your other school, but will you stay and go to OU if you hear good news in May/June?

So, is anyone going to send a LOI? Doctor Bagel, do you know how effective a LOI might be?

i was wondering the same thing. but i was under the impression that they really didn't want any further "updates" to our files.

Glad to see you back around. I know you must have already paid the fee to hold the spot at your other school, but will you stay and go to OU if you hear good news in May/June?

thanks, glad to be back.

i have given kcumb $2000, and i'm excited about moving up there and starting school. if i hear from OU by late may/early june, i'll stay here. my wife has a good job in norman, we have a great place in okc, we have family around and the tuition difference is enormous. however, i won't be able to stay if i become one of those people who hears the week before classes start. once i get a house rented in KC and my wife gets a job in KC, etc etc, an acceptance from OU won't keep us here.

i'd love to hear something in may/june, but it doesn't look like it's in the cards.

i was wondering the same thing. but i was under the impression that they really didn't want any further "updates" to our files.

Yeah, it sounds like they've already ranked you guys and aren't planning on updating the ranking.

With that scheme, I agree it would be the most friendly to you guys to let you know your status.

If knowing people on the board and having good relationships with them doesn't move you up on the list, it isn't going to help anyone else. Personally, that makes me feel better. It's not that I don't want you to be successful at OU, only that it suggests that the process is much more by-the-book than I had begun to believe.

yeah, politics (or networking or whatever you want to call it) doesn't seem to play as big a role as many people think.

i've heard it said that unless you have president boren or the governor helping you out, your connections don't really matter. of course, it's always helpful to know someone who's familiar with the process and can give good advice along the way, as well as speak up for you when it comes time to discuss your application.

to anyone who's expecting to do this again next year and knows someone who is on the board: ask them if they are willing to speak up for you. i learned this cycle that Dotty and Dr. Hall actually encourage doctors on the board to speak for applicants that they know. but they aren't going to do it if you don't ask. i can tell you from experience that it certainly doesn't guarantee you anything (it's not going to make up for the weak points in your app)... but hey, it can't hurt.

premedmommy, did you just remember that your cousin's girlfriend's dad's step-sister's brother-in-law once had lunch with brad henry???

call in that favor!

haha.maybe premedmommy realized that there IS someone on the waitlist that knows the governor? :)

as an aside, reading this forum while in limbo is driving me batty. everyone and their mother seems to know someone with a 3.6/34 that didn't get in this year. kind of stressing me out when preparing for next year's app cycle...

Hasn't been any posts lately, so I thought I'd throw something out there. Anybody heard anything about the status of the waitlist? Anybody been accepted off the waitlist? I heard a few people have been pulled off and that the number of remaining students with multiple acceptances is low, unfortunately. We're closing in on may, which should be a lot of movement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard a few people have been pulled off and that the number of remaining students with multiple acceptances is low, unfortunately.

I'm always curious where people hear these things...I would never ask to reveal where you heard this but was it from a pretty reliable source? I think I speak for all of us that we are DYING in anticipation! :D

How did you find out that the people holding multiple acceptances was low? How would anyone know?

i haven't heard a peep about waitlist movement...where did you hear that? and maybe the class has multiple waitlists, rather than acceptances, as that seems to be a trend this year...

you could make a decent guess about the number of people still holding acceptances based how many people have already committed to OU. but i would guess the admissions office would be pretty reluctant to release that info. and there are probably people who are not holding multiple acceptances, but just waiting to hear from other schools.

i did hear from a reliable source that the number of out-of-staters with good numbers that were accepted this year is quite high... which means there is an above average chance that more acceptees will be opting for schools in their home states... which means above average waitlist movement. i know there were several doctors at the board meeting who were very upset about the high number of out-of-staters being offered spots relative to previous years.

and there are also people who hold the OU acceptance but don't keep the school updated with any decisions, and just let their acceptance deadline lapse.

now i'm rambling because i don't want to go back to work, and i guess this probably isn't anything everyone hasn't already figured out.

cheers.

There aren't that many people left with multiple acceptances that I know, but there may be many on one or more waitlists. I'm waitlisted at 5 other schools right now, all of which I would strongly consider depending on finaid offers, so there's still hope!

and there are also people who hold the OU acceptance but don't keep the school updated with any decisions, and just let their acceptance deadline lapse.

Is the acceptance deadline you are talking about the school's deadline or AMCAS' deadline? I had assumed that if a decision wasn't submitted to AMCAS and/or the school, that the school would open that student's seat to a new admission. Is this correct? Having never been accepted anywhere, I'm not really sure how it works.

heard a few people have been pulled off and that the number of remaining students with multiple acceptances is low...We're closing in on may, which should be a lot of movement.

These two statements seem contradictory,am I missing something? Not being nasty, I just thought I might have misunderstood the first part...

There aren't that many people left with multiple acceptances that I know, but there may be many on one or more waitlists. I'm waitlisted at 5 other schools right now, all of which I would strongly consider depending on finaid offers, so there's still hope!

I'm with AustenFan, this wait has been painful! Much more so for me than the wait for an interview date. I've been holding out hope for a big waitlist movement at the middle-end of May, but if what you guys are saying is true, waiting until June 1st to admit defeat is rather pointless. Bleh.

I'm with AustenFan, this wait has been painful! Much more so for me than the wait for an interview date. I've been holding out hope for a big waitlist movement at the middle-end of May, but if what you guys are saying is true, waiting until June 1st to admit defeat is rather pointless. Bleh.

Yeah... I'm on a lot of upper-middle and lower-upper tier schools waitlists (Emory, Georgetown, Baylor, Colorado, and Dartmouth). I'm hoping those accepted all decide to go to Haaahvard, and then we waitlistees may be able to open some spots up for you, but it may be a cascade... (They release on May 15th, we're accepted on June 1st and release, you're accepted on June 15th...) Who knows? *sigh*

Wow, I inspired an overnight revolution. I heard the info. about low number of multiple acceptances from the OU Med office. But like someone said above, this info. may not mean much. Could rely on how many people are waiting to hear from other schools, which starts a cascade, etc. etc. Hopefully all those people waiting and out of staters make their damn decisions soon after may 15 and we can get on with this show. Another bit of info. i found out is that the May 15 deadline is the deadline for people to get their deposits back, but they can wait until day 1 of school to make their "final" decision. Sucks for us waitlisters for all those people holding out. Good luck to all.

Wow, I inspired an overnight revolution. I heard the info. about low number of multiple acceptances from the OU Med office. But like someone said above, this info. may not mean much. Could rely on how many people are waiting to hear from other schools, which starts a cascade, etc. etc. Hopefully all those people waiting and out of staters make their damn decisions soon after may 15 and we can get on with this show. Another bit of info. i found out is that the May 15 deadline is the deadline for people to get their deposits back, but they can wait until day 1 of school to make their "final" decision. Sucks for us waitlisters for all those people holding out. Good luck to all.

Argh!! Well, thanks for sharing the info with us all. I'll say that I've been chomping at the bit and wanted to call and pepper the office with questions, but end up talking myself out of it, generally telling myself that they a) won't be able to tell me anything and b) it won't change anything. Looks like the first assumption was wrong, so I'm glad one of us SDNers took the lead.

I check this thread daily (at least) and am glad somebody started the "revolution". It's nice to have company during the wait. I don't doubt that whatever lies ahead will be arduous and taxing beyond the comprehension of anyone who hasn't lived it, but there must be some measure of solace in knowing that the first (of many) major hurdles has been cleared.

Doc Dreamer - Needless to say, you have my heartiest wishes for success in getting pulled off any and all of your waitlists.

Here's to a boatload of folks wanting their deposits back!

So thoughts -- I think they can only see allopathic acceptances. There might be students sitting on OU/OSU acceptances who will wind up picking OSU. And if you're waiting on waitlist movement for the acceptees, I guess that means the bulk of the waitlist movement at OU won't happen until a little later. :(

I've been around SDN long enough to know that you can't really predict what will happen with a waitlist, so even if the news this seems bad, that doesn't mean there might not be lots of movement.

So thoughts -- I think they can only see allopathic acceptances. There might be students sitting on OU/OSU acceptances who will wind up picking OSU. And if you're waiting on waitlist movement for the acceptees, I guess that means the bulk of the waitlist movement at OU won't happen until a little later. :(

I've been around SDN long enough to know that you can't really predict what will happen with a waitlist, so even if the news this seems bad, that doesn't mean there might not be lots of movement.

Thanks for bringing in some optimism, Dr.B.

ScottW how did you hear about people being pulled off the waitlist? was this from the admissions office as well?

and bravofriendly, even though i know spinning our wheels about this whole waitlist thing isn't going to change anything, it's still nice to have company while we're on this rollercoaster!

and does anyone suppose that people will drop off the waitlist after the may 15 deadline as well? say people that are accepted at OSU, KCUMB, or any other school? just a thought..

ScottW how did you hear about people being pulled off the waitlist? was this from the admissions office as well?

and bravofriendly, even though i know spinning our wheels about this whole waitlist thing isn't going to change anything, it's still nice to have company while we're on this rollercoaster!

and does anyone suppose that people will drop off the waitlist after the may 15 deadline as well? say people that are accepted at OSU, KCUMB, or any other school? just a thought..

I heard the info. from the OU admissions office, but once again who really knows whats going to happen. It is good to have company while waiting our fate. Some people may drop off the waitlist, but its unlikely. Most people will stay on just to see what happens and to weigh their options. We're closing in on may 15 slowly but surely.

Anyone heard anything yet? Its getting to be about that time for movement. Good luck on finals.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard of any movement or anything yet either. This last month seems like it is just creeping along....I don't think I was this anxious for my interview date. lol

On a hopeful note to the in-state waitlisters, I was reading on some old forums from last year around this time and someone made the observation that since the instate and out of state waitlists are seperate that the waitlist movement that we heard of might be coming from the out of state list, especially because some OOS ppl might prefer to stay instate to avoid more expenses. This is total speculation on my part and is in no way supported by anything other than my wishful thinking. :)

i have a lot of friends who will be going to OU this fall. it's weird...all of them are freakin biochem majors. none of the straight bio majors seemed to make it from my school, i don't know. the only friend who i have on the waitlist had like a 3.8 but not so good mcat...24 i think. they've been driving down to norman or wherever the med school is on a weekly basis trying to show interest. they told me that apparently the ou committee actually marks how many times each person comes down and whatnot. i don't know if they do to see who is truly interested or instead use it against them since they are annoyed by it haha. these are all instate ppl btw. good luck

Wow, I hadn't heard of the marking system...I usually opt to let other ppl fish for the info so I hope that is more of a benefit for me than against. haha Besides I had always heard that after the final board meeting there was no movement on the waitlist, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was the occasional "unofficial" movement. What school do you go to if, you don't mind? I'm at UCO, and I have a couple friends here that are waitlisted as well...

I'm sure they mark down when you show interest, but i'm not sure if it will help you get in or not. They said our files are closed now, so i'm sticking with that. We are all "interested" in getting in, no matter if we drive up there everyday. But not its crunch time, so good luck to all and everyone keep us posted if you get a letter.

Hey, ya'll!

Just thought I'd give you a heads up that I just got my second acceptance, and I'm *thinking* about releasing OU, so that would be one in-state acceptance (have to think about it a bit more and look at finaid offers).

I also have an OOS accepted friend who I think will choose his state school, so there could be an OOS spot there.

Spreading hope... Good luck!

but, I did just finish my last undergraduate final!!

Even better, we're one day closer to May 15th.

I'm so jealous...My Finals have been totally spread out and I won't be done until Friday morning :( But it is slightly keeping my mind off of May 15th. What I'm gonna do to spend my time after graduation I have no idea. Misery loves company, though! :D

x

Last edited:
Anywhoooooo, anybody heard anything yet? Or are you so overjoyed with being pulled off the waitlist that you haven't posted anything here? ;)

I received my BRE in the mail late this afternoon! I spent the afternoon calling family and friends, hopped in the shower to get ready for my graduation, and am now home staring at my letter, trying to make it really sink in.

So, the good news is that waitlist movement has started and it's not even May 15 yet.

Disclaimer: the following info comes from non-confirmable sources but doesn't seem to reak too badly of blatant misinformation. I had heard that almost everyone on last year's waitlist had been pulled off, but never really heard what that number was. I heard this week that there were 60ish pulled from last year's list. From other sources I had heard that as few as 23 and as many as 55 had been pulled in years past. I hope this new info brings a little optimism to those patiently (or, perhaps, not so patiently) still waiting.

Here's to more movement!

Bravo

Congratulations!! I know I already told you in person, but I'm so happy for you! Here's to having some good news to tell YOU in the near future! ;)

congratulations bravofriendly! now you can relax and REALLY enjoy your summer:cool:

hopefully we can keep the good news coming for the rest of us:luck:

Hi everyone~

Just came upon this post and spent the last couple hours reading every last word! I'm also waitlisted at OU for this coming fall...

So, I called the adm office, just for an "update", and she mentioned something like this: (this was on thursday I believe)

12 people have already been pulled off the waitlist; there are approximately 16 people holding multiple acceptances (yes, that part was confusing to me, but you all have seemed to clarify that a bit)...but she also mentioned that it's hard to say anything because many people will just forfeit their deposits while holding out for other offers....soooooo....yea.

haha...doubt that helps, but it's what I know!!

Congratulations!! I know I already told you in person, but I'm so happy for you! Here's to having some good news to tell YOU in the near future! ;)

Cheers to that!

congratulations bravofriendly! now you can relax and REALLY enjoy your summer:cool:

hopefully we can keep the good news coming for the rest of us:luck:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for us all to walk in together on day 1.

Hooray!!!! Congratulations Bravofriendly! :hardy:

xx

Last edited:
so are you saying that if you are #29 on the waitlist, you will not get in?

Definitely not that hopeless! Think of it as a multi-stage ripple effect. There are currently 16 people (per CaBound's post) holding more than one acceptance. Keep in mind this does not count students holding a seat at a DO school.

So there are 16+ potential seats. This 16-count does not include students currently accepted at OU who are on waitlists at other places which they might prefer to OU. When May 15th rolls around other schools will have their mutliple-seat holding students choose another school, they will have newly opened seats, and send out acceptances. Currently accepted students might be pulled from these other waitlists, choose another school, and open a new seat at OU. Our own Dr. Dreamer is one such person and as she previously mentioned, is considering releasing OU depending on the financial incentives at the other school.

I didn't completely understand this whole process until recently. Figuring it out helped me understand why acceptance letters continue going until Aug. 1st. Too bad understanding doesn't take the sting out of the wait :thumbdown:

so, who's planning on re-taking the mcat? when are you guys thinking about taking it?

also, does anybody know the rules for number of times to take the mcat. i think 3 is the max number of times, but there is something you can do to be able to take it again.

does anybody have any info on this?

thanks.

I'm re-taking the m-cat in august. You can retake it 3 times in a year. It used to be 3x overall until the computer version.

Congrats Bravofriendly!! I hope some of you guys hear some good news soon!!

As for the MCAT, it used to be that you could only take it 3 times (paper-based) before you needed to get special permission to take it again. Now, I believe, you don't need to get permission to retake. I think you can take it multiple times, because I don't remember them asking me if I had already taken it 3 times when I signed up for the cbt.

Definitely not that hopeless! Think of it as a multi-stage ripple effect. There are currently 16 people (per CaBound's post) holding more than one acceptance. Keep in mind this does not count students holding a seat at a DO school.

So there are 16+ potential seats. This 16-count does not include students currently accepted at OU who are on waitlists at other places which they might prefer to OU. When May 15th rolls around other schools will have their mutliple-seat holding students choose another school, they will have newly opened seats, and send out acceptances. Currently accepted students might be pulled from these other waitlists, choose another school, and open a new seat at OU. Our own Dr. Dreamer is one such person and as she previously mentioned, is considering releasing OU depending on the financial incentives at the other school.

I didn't completely understand this whole process until recently. Figuring it out helped me understand why acceptance letters continue going until Aug. 1st. Too bad understanding doesn't take the sting out of the wait :thumbdown:

I talked to OU med office this morning. Really not much groundbreaking news here, but wanted to verify the previous posts that OU has accepted 14 off the waitlist and 16 accepted students are "holding multiple acceptances". Therefore, those 16 can choose to go to other schools and give up their spots. There could be multiple D.O. acceptances that are not given in that total and like stated before there could be other students that are waiting to hear from other schools before they give OU their answer. So thats it for now, we're still waiting. It looks like many people are going to forfeit their deposit for the May 15 deadline and drag this in to june/july. Very frustrating. Good luck to all.

x

Last edited: