The Uplifting Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MantisTobogganMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. Residents and Attendings, give us some stories about your brightest moments in anesthesia --- times you thought to yourself, "hell yeah, I love what I do." It can be intraoperative, intensivism, pain, or anything in between.

Please refrain from snarky retorts about mid level providers or AMCs; there are no shortages of threads where you can air your grievances on these topics.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
To me, the ABCs of anesthesia are very uplifting...

Airway
Book
Coffee
Doughnut
Eat (in Anesthesia Lounge)
Funnies (Read)
Go
Home (by 3 PM)

Credit to Consig.

Reactions: 2 users
A surgeon congratulated me on my fast response to moving the bed up/down for him. That made my day because he had been yelling at me beforehand for being too slow to get the case underway. It made the rest of the day go far more smoothly as it's harder to get things done if the surgeon is unhappy.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A surgeon congratulated me on my fast response to moving the bed up/down for him. That made my day because he had been yelling at me beforehand for being too slow to get the case underway. It made the rest of the day go far more smoothly as it's harder to get things done if the surgeon is unhappy.

Tell me you're a resident and not an attending...how can one doctor be yelling at another doctor, who is suppose to be your colleague...and this has to be a joke "he congratulated me on my fast response to moving the bed"? Lmao are u serious....that's not uplifting that's depressing

The number of inappropriate jokes that go on in the OR can be uplifting. Tough to make the same remarks on rounds.

Reactions: 1 users
You have to be a fairly self-satisfied person to enjoy anesthesia. You won't (for the most part) have patients singing your praises about how amazing the anesthesia was. If you need someone to pat you on the head and rub your belly and get you a cookie, go into surgery.

Fortunately, anesthesia provides you with numerous opportunities to feel good about yourself (and many more to feel bad, but there a million of those threads).

So, in no apparent order:

Last ABG of a liver transplant patient looking like you drew it off a healthy 40yr old volunteer.
Getting the airway at 3AM on a posterior cervical fusion, head/neck radiation patient on the first shot.
80+ year old patient w/ 8hr bowel surgery, flip prone and then back halfway through, extubated at end of case, totally pain-free
First attempt on a-line on 2kg preemie
A-line, 2 PIVs, epidural, central line, tube on esophagectomy done by 0800 from a 730 start (fine, did some of it in preop)
Seeing patients on L&D go from berserk to effusively thankful in 5 minutes
Watching a resident/fellow from another service struggle at something despite your best advice and then taking over and banging it home in 10 seconds

Some of these have gotten surgeon compliments, some have gotten nursing compliments, some have gotten colleague/supervisor comments, some have gotten nothing. Of course it feels good to get recognition, but I don't lose sleep over the times I don't.

Wonderful idea for a thread. Sadly, it's becoming easy to get lost in the negativity surrounding the field lately.

I'm glad all your schooling is finally paying off.

A real story this time. I only observed this.

A resident is quizzing a med student on various anaesthetic agents. Tells the med student one of these agents was originally from an extract used by a certain South American tribe to put on the tips of arrows so the arrows become poisonous arrows used to paralyze prey. Med student seems intrigued by the story. Suddenly med student asks if the muscle relaxant would've been used on the patient. Resident says yes. Med student's eyes light up, he has a huge "that's utterly brilliant" moment on his face, and just beams with the biggest brightest smile ever.

He'll remember all of this now, remember what neuromuscular blocking agents are all about, remember succinylcholine, etc. It's just a small and simple thing, something most probably take for granted, but it's still inspiring and uplifting to me to see a little teaching moment like this being passed on from a resident to a med student and making connections in a student's mind.

Maybe I'm being too idealistic, but I imagine it's like a journeyman en route to becoming a master passing down the wisdom of the ages to an apprentice and the apprentice being absolutely gobsmacked by it, to then tell other future apprentices about it. What medicine used to be all about, in the distant misty past.

Last edited:
Only a resident here, but one of my favorite cases thus far was being on call as a ca2 when a ruptured AAA came in. Patients first gas had a pH of 7.0 with a base deficit of -15. Lactic Acid of 10.

By the end of the case his gas was 7.4 and had caught up to a base deficit of -1. The anesthetic went so well in fact the guy stayed in the ICU one day and was discharged a few days later.

Never heard a peep from the patient of course, or his family... But the vascular surgeon was wildly impressed with my resuscitation of the patient given the blood loss and starting numbers. Really felt like I helped save that guys life.

I have a bed story too but it is not very uplifting. 4 months into CA1 first time working on the "fancy" outpatient side of the hospital with a new (to me) attending. Pretty much all CA1s start there and then go to in patient side, except for me. Don't ask me why. Nobody even knew I was a new resident there. Anyway, I'm feeling comfortable being alone with healthy patients. Doing some sort of laparoscopic hernia with some old mechanical bed. You don't see those very often now. They have a lever to choose side to side, back up, legs, ...and trendelenberg, with a crank for you to wind. Foot pedal for table height. First time I ever saw one of those beds. Surgeon wants reverse T. I turn the crank hoping for the best but table goes to the side. Turn the lever and the legs go down.... Surgeon starts screaming about my incompetence and demands to have the attending in the room. Of course the attending takes a while giving more time for the surgeon to keep going off on me. I'm sure I could have figured it out if given a minute but I had no chance. Attending must have thought I was a ******. 4 months into residency and cannot even operate a bed! Fun times. That's the kind of stuff you don't forget.

As a fellow during a Norwood, the surgeon tells me, "Tilt the bed."
"Which way?" I ask.
"Towards dickhead (the PA)!" he says.
I wait...look him in the eye...then tilt the bed towards him.
Laughter ensues.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Today - when the Surgical PA and a circulating nurse agreed that we anes at my place are underpaid.... Because people are alive bc of us.

Dudes/dudettes this has to be the most depressing thread on SDN.

I love being in the OR, but OB has a lot of instant gratification. It's the one place where most patients are actually happy to be in the hospital and they really, really look forward to meeting us.

I was pictured with our local congressman during his visit to our hospital. The picture was used in the online version of the local paper. A comment was posted to the article stating something to the effect of how compassionate of a doctor I was. I did some sleuthing and found that it was the daughter of a patient that died the week prior when i was working in the ICU.

I have a beautiful loving wife, 2 awesome little ones whom I can never get enough of, I drive a Luxury car, live a bigger house than I need, and I go on vacation 2 times per year. Life is pretty damn good.

Reactions: 7 users
One day.....came in at 7:30am. Did 3 c-sections. Put in 3 labor epidurals in between. Left the hospital at 11:30am. By noon I was home with meat on the grill cooking lunch.

Oh, and 3 of the patients were self-insured and paid cash.

I've got a couple wild ones.

One time I dropped this lady off in PACU... and then never saw her again for the rest of my life. Word is she had a fat stack of disability paperwork, a couple of medication pre-auths, and she was due to run out of her Norco at 3AM a few days later but I just heard all that second hand.

Another time, the day surgery receptionist kept calling in sick and coming in late all the time....and I didn't give a f#*k. Heard someone fired her and then she sued but who knows.

Every field has it's own bull****, but I'll take ours over pretty much anyone else's.

I love being in the OR, but OB has a lot of instant gratification. It's the one place where most patients are actually happy to be in the hospital and they really, really look forward to meeting us.
You can have all of my OB. I'll split a job with you. I do all OR and you do all the OB.
deal?

I was a resident on pain service. I had this poor lady after knee replacement surgery on Dilaudid PCA (?). Of course, her dose was set at 0.2 mg every 10 minutes or so, no continuous infusion, and she was in a world of pain at 11 pm. I sat down next to her, unlocked the PCA pump and started bolusing. At around 6 mg of Dilaudid, we reached bliss. I reprogrammed her PCA to higher intermittent and continuous doses, saw her next morning with a smile on her face; she had slept through the night. I was a CA-1 and that was my first big success in acute pain management.

Another time, I had a tween with CRPS, with h/o opiate dependence, s/p ketamine coma in Mexico, who flared up big time after a D&C. Obviously dear professor put her on some minor ketamine infusion, low opiates and adjuvant medication that did exactly nil for her. So I talked to the patient and went up on the ketamine. And up... Until I reached 1 mg/kg/hr at which level she was pain-free and conversational. What I did not know is that I was way above the maximum dose "prescribed" for a regular floor, so a couple of hours later I get an alarmed call from dear professor. Apparently he had been called by the chief of staff, oops. The patient ended up on the same dose in the step down unit, and left after two days, opiate- and pain- free; everybody was happy, except my attending of course.

Another time I was called to intubate in the ICU a 40 year-old male who had chewed and sucked his fentanyl patches. He was bradypneic and unconscious. The ICU team (absent the attending) was adamant about intubating him. So I gave him Narcan and about 200 mcg later he woke up. When I told them to set up a Narcan drip and call it a day, they looked at me like I was from another planet. I ended up calling their attending and he agreed with my plan of non-intubation. Always do what's right for the patient.

Taking away pain on OB... those patients are so grateful... except when they are not. I can understand why some people love OB or blocks.

Getting a claustrophobic super anxious obese patient sedated just enough so she can sleep but not obstruct through her cataract surgery, with the patient screaming "I love my anesthesiologist!" all the way to and in the PACU. This kind of incident happens mostly in outpatient and interestingly gave me more satisfaction than saving a 60 year-old with aortic dissection, too drunk to even feel the pain, or navigating through a 12-hour liver transplant with a sick patient.

We could tell stories for days, if we really tried. The specialty should be beautiful for any clever person who can take decisions in seconds. All those little or big fires we put out intraop everyday, without anybody knowing, not even the patient. But nothing is more satisfying for me than seeing the patient or the family understand and appreciate what I just did for her. It's so rare, when the patient is not sick preop, because people take us for granted. I get more satisfaction periop than intraop because of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can have all of my OB. I'll split a job with you. I do all OR and you do all the OB.
deal?
Nah, one of the other things I like about anesthesia is the variety. I like doing everything. A day a week of OB is about the most I'd like to do.

Also, my OB experience is somewhat colored by my usual .mil patient population, which isn't typical. We don't get a lot of teenage moms, drug users, *****s off that "I didn't know I was pregnant" TV show, multiple-baby-daddy drama. Everyone's insured and has had prenatal care.

Made $450k plus full benefits and 11 weeks vacation last year.

No, were not hiring.

deal?

You can have mine too.

Obstetrics is an oddity and I think it gets a little more stressful in affluent areas. It's true they're happy to have their baby, but some are turned off by the thought of drugs until that 4 cm dilation pain hits. It is probably the most gratifying aspect of anesthesiology and I'd argue medicine, because you can fix someone in a matter of minutes and they love you for it. I literally want to carry a microphone around with me on OB so that after that epidural is in and their pain is gone I can do this....

giphy.gif

But how ever gratifying it is, it still annoys TF out of me. It's likely more the OBs and the nurses, but if I could be strictly an OR guy, I think I'd have more hair on my head like the guy in my avi.