The use of isoflurane tanks to sedate a patient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Its so great to hear about everyone's experiences. It kind of makes me laugh to hear about people wanting to see c-sections or never seeing them in years bc I bet I have seen/helpled with at least 30 in the year and a half I have worked at the clinic I am at. One day in the fall we had 3 in one day :D

I had no idea they were even rare other places. Granted, the vet I work for is kind of known for his work with bulldogs and we have several bulldog and frenchy breeders as clients so this accounts for the vast majority of our c-sections. Also one rottie breeder and one very large beagle breeder elect for c-sections on most of their births.

Members don't see this ad.

To bring up another discussion related to this topic....
Banfield has a very specific anesthesia protocol and they are proud of the fact that they have a very low mortality rate... however, imo, their pain control isn't sufficient for many procedures.
For example, Banfield says the max dose for morphine is 5 mg when the dose in Plumb's is up to 2.2 mg/kg. So Banfield is maxing out their morphine dose at a dose we give to chihuahuas. They also recommend diphenhydramine (benadryl) as a sedative.
Any thoughts?

. Granted, the vet I work for is kind of known for his work with bulldogs and we have several bulldog and frenchy breeders as clients so this accounts for the vast majority of our c-sections. .

ohhhh... so YOUR vet is the one perpetuating a breed that shouldn't exist! ;) Debate for another thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Banfield has a very specific anesthesia protocol and they are proud of the fact that they have a very low mortality rate... however, imo, their pain control isn't sufficient for many procedures.
For example, Banfield says the max dose for morphine is 5 mg when the dose in Plumb's is up to 2.2 mg/kg. So Banfield is maxing out their morphine dose at a dose we give to chihuahuas. They also recommend diphenhydramine (benadryl) as a sedative.
Any thoughts?

Benadryl as a sedative?? That's almost as bad as the mothers who give their kids benadryl to shut them up before a car ride or whatever.

Benadryl makes me hyperactive and I start hallucinating on it, so I guess if I was a dog, I'd be screwed...

ohhhh... so YOUR vet is the one perpetuating a breed that shouldn't exist! ;) Debate for another thread.

Ugh, we've got a half dozen big bulldog breeders. Evil dogs. If it can't get pregnant or give birth without help, it shouldnt be allowed to exist. And that's all I'lll say on this thread :laugh:

Any thoughts?

Benadryl as a sedative. It works for me...not so much for my dog. My dog has really, really bad allergies and had a strange reaction to a steriod injection so no steriods for him. So we will often give him 2 chlorphineramine and 3 hydroxyzine and it does absolutely nothing as far as sedating him. We used to give him 2-3 benadryl and that also did absolutely nothing to him; however give me one benadryl and I am out for the rest of the day.

Ugh, we've got a half dozen big bulldog breeders. Evil dogs. If it can't get pregnant or give birth without help, it shouldnt be allowed to exist. And that's all I'lll say on this thread :laugh:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
(not to forget they can't breathe either ;))

haha I am so not offended by this. I couldnt agree more. I mean cute puppies for sure but eye probs, breathing probs, reproducing probs, not to mention I do not get paid enough to make up for all the time ive had to stick my bare hands into a post-op bulldog's mouth to clean out the vomit and keep them from aspirating.

but back to iso and anesthesia protocols...