The use of Physics in dental school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefuldentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if current dental students can answer whether or not you need to know any physics for dental school. I know it is a prerequisite, but is it just one of those "hoops" you have to jump through to get in?

I am wondering because I have the option to take a Physics course at an accredited university (BYU) that is taught at night and is MUCH easier than if I took it from my university (U of Utah) during the day. I've heard the teacher is basically a joke and you won't learn much at all. If I am never going to need to use physics again, I'd rather spend my time studying for the 5 other classes I'm enrolled in this semester.

Thanks -

Members don't see this ad.

Just get your easy "A". You don't need anything more than intuition (if a tooth is longer the crown will hold better) and basic concepts (cantilever bridges will have a fulcrum and will produce extrusive forces on certain abutments). You'll never use or need to know anything specific from undergrad physics -- even though the physical concepts are one of the most important parts of successful dentistry. Does that even make sense? I hope so... get the "A" and get into D-school and you'll see what I mean.

Easy A ftw. I took Botany at a diff school than my undergrad (it was a gpa killer where i went) to get an easy A.

Members don't see this ad :)
While we're not talking quantum physics theoretical stuff being applied to dentistry, force vectors can and do come into play from in many aspects of dentistry.

Haven't had it yet, but I imagine physics (radiation physics) also comes in to play when you start Radiology.

Radiation physics, materials, and classical mechanics are all helpful for dental school before starting. However, you could learn the necessary concepts in dental school and well in classes.

Just finished my first year. It's a hoop. Everything mentioned above as far what you would use Physics in could be learned on the fly.

Hoop. The first of many. Brace yourself.