The usual "What are my chances" thread..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Night Hawk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm having trouble figuring out what to do and whether to even bother applying MD. I was anticipating a better score on my MCAT (AAMC avg. was ~36) but that wasn't the case, although, I do plan to re-take in June. A little about me:

cGpa: 3.47, D.O. cGpa: 3.69
sGpa: 3.67, D.O. sGpa: 3.80

Second MCAT: took 4/13 VR-07, PS-11, BS-12, Overall-30P
wasn't for a lack of understanding, there's apparently no amount of caffeine that can make me alert enough to get a 10 in verbal at 8 am lol

First MCAT: took 2 years ago: VR-08, PS-11, BS-12, Overall-31M

Had really crapy clinical EC's and it took three years to find a physician willing to let me shadow, yes I did cold calls, emails, you name it....So I spent a year shadowing and volunteering

Clinical Stuff:
Hospital Volunteer - 200 or so hours over the course of the last year
M.D. Shadowing - 150 or so hours over the course of the last year
Hospital Shadowing through a class- 42 hours

Other Volunteer Stuff:
Volunteer Wresting Coach - 5 years, 600 hours or so

Work:
Always had a job in college and worked too much initially (>50 hours per week).
Worked at an auto parts company- 5 years, did the graveyard shift for two in order to pay for school
Personal Tutor - for three years
Assistant Wrestling Coach - 1 year
Sales Rep for a marketing company -past year (no I don't call people...)
The last three overlap

LOR's: all recent
MD Letter - Strong
Physiology Professor Letter - Strong
MD Mentor - Strong
Physics Professor Letter - Okay
Committe Letter

I have a very strong upward trend after initially doing very poor. I've received pretty much all A's over the last 3 years with a minus or two. I have other EC's too, but only listed the usual ones that I see people list.

If I do well enough June 21, that being a 35+, then I'd have a LizzyM score good enough for MD (IMO) and would apply. But if not would any of you waste your money given my lower tier gpa? Say I get a 32-34...

Not Trollin' so please don't flame, I lurk all the time and am just unsure. Also, I'm a first generation college student, not a URM and have nothing against DO, was definitely applying that way regardless of everything. I'd just rather not waste a grand since money is kind of tight.

Thanks in advance,
Call Sign "Night Hawk"

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Should mention that I don't have any research. I did give bench work a shot but I found it to be incedibly boring. I live in florida but not close enough to anywhere with clinical research going on, unfortunately...

Thanks again,
Call Sign "Night Hawk"

Should mention that I don't have any research. I did give bench work a shot but I found it to be incedibly boring. I live in florida but not close enough to anywhere with clinical research going on, unfortunately...

Thanks again,
Call Sign "Night Hawk"

Your cGPA isn't really THAT low and your sGPA is above "average" so I wouldn't really say your GPAs are "low tier". The problem is the 2nd MCAT. Your score went down and it went down in the worst spot (verbal). However, since you are retaking I guess it's a moot point as long as you improve, especially in verbal (most people say 7-8 is a cut-off point). IMO, shoot for a 32+ and then give MD a shot. Also, I would think you are real solid for DO schools as is, considering all of your stats are well above average. Good luck.