THE WAMC thread (what are my chances?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
By request the Pre-Pharmacy forum will be consolidating the WAMC threads into a single master thread. It is our hope that this will reduce the amount of space devoted to the various WAMC threads in circulation at any given time leaving room for other threads on the main page and to give everyone who wants to know what their chances are an idea based on responses to other WAMC posters with similar backgrounds.

How this will work:

Any poster can post a what are my chances question in this thread. Should you decide to post outside this thread, the post will be merged into this thread.

Regarding What are my chances questions:

Rule 1: Be courteous. Given the risk of wasting money on applications, travel, lodging, etc., most people want an idea how likely it is that they are applying to the correct schools based on their own statistics. You may have to tell someone their chances aren't very good, but you don't have to do so in a rude manner.

Rule 2: Please be as complete as possible when listing your application profile. Though we understand the desire for privacy in revealing personal information over the anonymous Internet, it doesn't benefit you if you receive opinions from SDN members having incomplete data about your application. You should include as much of the following as possible:

a. Schools you are applying to
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
d. GPA in last one or two school years
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
f. Pharmacy experience obtained
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
j. Self-perception of interview skills
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality

The more information you list, the better informed others will be when they form an opinion.

Rule 3: This thread is for "what are my chances" posts only and their immediate responses. All "what are my chances" posts found in the SDN Pharmacy forums is subject to a move to this thread. We intend for this thread to consolidate and organize all of these related posts. Therefore, don't create a new thread asking about your chances. We will most likely move it to this thread ASAP.

Rule 4: Search, search, search! The chances are good that someone answered your question through a different SDN user. We can reduce redundancy of posts if you just search the thread first for your answer.(e.g. Improve your chances thread.)

Disclaimer: Unless a user is on the adcom to the school you are asking about, no one can know with any certainty your true chances of acceptance/interview. Those that answer typically have at least applied and received an interview at a school, though maybe not the one you're asking about. As always the best way to find out what your chances are is to contact the school and ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hello! everybody

Is anybody here got accepted to Texas Tech OR TEXAS A&M w/low GPA. I WAS PLANNING TO APPLY TO TEXAS TECH AND TEXAS A&, KINGSVILLE BUT MY GPA IS AROUND 3.3 WHICH ISN'T THAT GOOD!!!!

PLANNING TO TAKE PCAT IN JANUARY 2009, SO SHOULD I APPLY NOW OR WAIT TIL THE JANUARY 2009!!

STAT: *****ASSOCIATED DEGREE IN GENERAL SCIENCE

*****CPHT

*****SOME VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE

******** PCAT - ? (01/24/2009)

help!!!!!

i have gpa around 3.3, so should i bother even to apply to

uh for fall 2009.

former uh accepted students or anybody at uh students insight is really need!!!!!:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

thanks!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
help!!!!!

i have gpa around 3.3, so should i bother even to apply to

uh for fall 2009.

former uh accepted students or anybody at uh students insight is really need!!!!!:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

thanks!!!!!!
There are many people in this forum applied this year with 3.3. But you still need Pcat score to apply.

Yeah, agreed, you're gonna need a pcat score, some extracurricular activities, amongst other things. Not everything is based on grades...

Last edited:
Do they take other factors into account when looking at stats?

For example, I have a math/sci GPA on the low side, 3.4 (still have 4 sciences left though) [overall is 3.7ish] but I'm an honors student, have a published thesis, have 300+ volunteer hours (hospice), work full time (in a pharmacy). Will my working full time, my pharm experience and volunteer work along with my thesis possibly out way the low GPA? I also have two bachelors degrees, on in Anthropology and soon to be one in Biomedical Science. Does this count for anything?

Do you think it may be beneficial to retake some courses before applying or possibly doing a masters? I got a C in Bio I, would it be worth a retake for the GPA boost? It seemed minimal to me, but many of you seem to have a better idea about this stuff than I do. I also thought maybe doing a 1 year masters could potentially boost my GPA is I do really well.

I guess I just need some guidance....Any advice is helpful...I'm feeling sort of overwhelmed.

P.S. Taking the PCAT summer 09

Do they take other factors into account when looking at stats?

For example, I have a math/sci GPA on the low side, 3.4 (still have 4 sciences left though) [overall is 3.7ish] but I'm an honors student, have a published thesis, have 300+ volunteer hours (hospice), work full time (in a pharmacy). Will my working full time, my pharm experience and volunteer work along with my thesis possibly out way the low GPA? I also have two bachelors degrees, on in Anthropology and soon to be one in Biomedical Science. Does this count for anything?

Do you think it may be beneficial to retake some courses before applying or possibly doing a masters? I got a C in Bio I, would it be worth a retake for the GPA boost? It seemed minimal to me, but many of you seem to have a better idea about this stuff than I do. I also thought maybe doing a 1 year masters could potentially boost my GPA is I do really well.

I guess I just need some guidance....Any advice is helpful...I'm feeling sort of overwhelmed.

P.S. Taking the PCAT summer 09

BS/BA does generally count for something and 3.4 is not low, it's slightly below average at some schools, but certainly not low. And yes ECs and work are major portions at most schools. Not as big as GPA, but still considered pretty heavily. Again 3.4 is above any school's minimum I've ever seen (3.2 being the highest minimum I've seen)

I read many WAMC threads as an applicant, and having just got my acceptance last month (YAHOO!!!:D), I thought I'd provide my stats to give people a more optimistic view of their application.

Applied to 14 schools last year, 1 this year
Cumulative GPA: 2.62 :(
Science GPA: 2.7ish :(
Last 2 years: 3.5ish (advanced Bio & Chem courses with lots of A's) :)
PCAT: 91st overall (1st time), 84th overall (2nd time) :)
Composite: 94th, 89th :)
Pharmacy experience: 8+ years in retail and hospital :)
2-3 years of community involvement, volunteer work, etc. :)

Interviewed at Oklahoma (waitlist), UMKC (waitlist), Colorado (Accepted!)

You can get in if you're willing to put in the work and dedicate yourself to the profession. As you can see, I do not have great stats, but I did my research, got solid grades after 2 years of horrible grades, and kept my head down. Now there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Best of luck to you all!

I read many WAMC threads as an applicant, and having just got my acceptance last month (YAHOO!!!:D), I thought I'd provide my stats to give people a more optimistic view of their application.

Applied to 14 schools last year, 1 this year
Cumulative GPA: 2.62 :(
Science GPA: 2.7ish :(
Last 2 years: 3.5ish (advanced Bio & Chem courses with lots of A's) :)
PCAT: 91st overall (1st time), 84th overall (2nd time) :)
Composite: 94th, 89th :)
Pharmacy experience: 8+ years in retail and hospital :)
2-3 years of community involvement, volunteer work, etc. :)

Interviewed at Oklahoma (waitlist), UMKC (waitlist), Colorado (Accepted!)

You can get in if you're willing to put in the work and dedicate yourself to the profession. As you can see, I do not have great stats, but I did my research, got solid grades after 2 years of horrible grades, and kept my head down. Now there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Best of luck to you all!

Thank you for this, I found it reassuring. I am in a similar boat as you and found myself skeptical due to one of my stats!.

BA - Psychology
MBA - Health Care Mgmt specialization
GPA - 3.96 :)
PCAT - 62! Barf! Retook Oct 08, scores not in yet. :eek:
Pharmacy Experience - 7 years total: 4 years retail, 3 years managed care / corporate setting
Volunteer and community service

I currently have an interview scheduled for Sullivan University, fingers crossed!! Nice to know that one score may not ruin your chances.

I only have a bare 2.9x GPA cumulative for my BS, yet a 3.xx for my pre-pharmacy prerequisite. I do not have a pharm tech license, yet I did participated in a clinic that involved dispensing/filling out prescriptions for a year. My PCAT overall is a 6x percentile, this is a while ago.

I have two in state schools that are quite competitive. I do not know if I am good enough to make it.

What are the lower expectation schools that you recommend?

What are those 3 years program that I read you guys are just overjoyed just to get on the waiting list?

Thanks, friends.

I only have a bare 2.9x GPA cumulative for my BS, yet a 3.xx for my pre-pharmacy prerequisite. I do not have a pharm tech license, yet I did participated in a clinic that involved dispensing/filling out prescriptions for a year. My PCAT overall is a 6x percentile, this is a while ago.

I have two in state schools that are quite competitive. I do not know if I am good enough to make it.

What are the lower expectation schools that you recommend?

What are those 3 years program that I read you guys are just overjoyed just to get on the waiting list? .

First of all, post in the WAMC (what are my chances) thread up top.

Second of all, nobody can possibly give you an accurate prediction when you say your pre-pharm GPA is 3.XX because this can be anywhere from 3.00-3.99; however, it's obviously toward the lower end or else you wouldn't be so elusive about it. But being that your cummulative is under a 3.0, I would say you have your work cut out for you because this is certainly below average for the vast majority of schools. Your PCAT is a 6X. Most schools consider a 75% composite to be competitive so by giving you the benefit of the doubt of a 69% you are still below the average. 3 year programs are accelerated programs that generally have higher expectations. If you have great LORs and EC's you certainly have a chance but your GPA and PCAT are below average at most schools.

Finally, if you are planning on applying for Fall 2009 at a rolling admissions school, being that it's November and people have been applying since June, your chances are even lower. Not trying to be a Debby Downer here, just honest, the light shining on your odds gets more and more dim with each passing day.

Last edited:
Your chance is low. I think you may try to retake some of important classes such as chemitry, biology, calculus. Aslo, have your tech certified so it may give you plus in your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
schools applying to: campbell (#1 choice), UMD and idk yet
b. Overall GPA- 2.8
c. Math/Science GPA - not too great
d. GPA in last one or two school years- 2.8
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)- didnt get scores yet
f. Pharmacy experience obtained - 1 year as pharm tech at cvs ... shadowed pharmer at hospital

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs- 4 LORs..one pharmacist, 1 microbio teacher, 1 college algebra teacher, 1 econ teacher
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience - volunteered at daycare center..extraciriculars: MSA, SGA, Paksa, Pharm Club, Multicultural club
j. Self-perception of interview skills- i'll do fine i guess..just rehearse and practice right?
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality .. i got it chekced by 3 differnet pple and they said it was great

now, wht are my chances?

a. schools applying to: Suny Buffalo (#1 choice), purdue, Rutgers State U, Mercer
b Overal GPA:3.5
c Math/Science:4 (not include those I'm doing now and next spring)
d Complete PCAT: not out yet..but guess not doing very well...take it again in January.
f: pharmacy experience: just..joined the pharmacy club..
and I'm an international student...
Extracurricular: work at UB library circulation and dining shops
Table tennis club secretary
Table tennis Tournament first place

h havent started ps yet..
i interview? ==guess I'm just ok..

Now what are my chances? Any suggestions for schools that are especially generous with international enrollment?
Thanks

No reason not to try out of state schools, but I would certainly try to improve on your PCATs. You said you did it a while ago, and most schools require them to be taken within 2-3 years.

a. Schools you are applying to:
SUNY - Buffalo
MCPHS - Worcester
LECOM - Erie
Midwestern - Downers Grove
UCSD
UCSF
Purdue

b. Overall GPA: 3.94

c. Math/Science GPA: 3.92

d. GPA in last 1 or 2 years: 4.0 (last two years)

e. PCAT scores: 99th percentile composite
(lowest score was 91st in Bio)

f. Pharmacy experience obtained:
No work/volunteer experience, but I did a job shadow at a hospital and spoke with another very experienced pharmacist about the career and different career path opportunities.

g. Date of application submission: 08/14/2008

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3 total
1. Bio prof I had first and last semesters of undergraduate
2. Associate Dean of School of Science who was one of my advisors
3. Research advisor and professor for a course

Peer-tutoring at two colleges in organic chem, bio, and physics. Independent research project for 2 years during college. Ben & Jerry's employee for 1+ years, still employed. Volunteer at an animal shelter.

Pretty good, as long as I don't get particularly flustered by a question. (It's after the interview that I'll be all shaky and weird)

I am a good writer, so there shouldn't be problems with grammar or usage. The content is probably pretty okay.

What do you think, folks?

SUNY - Buffalo
MCPHS - Worcester
LECOM - Erie
UCSD
UCSF
Purdue

No work/volunteer experience, but I did a job shadow at a hospital and spoke with another very experienced pharmacist about the career and different career path opportunities.

Peer-tutoring at two colleges in organic chem, bio, and physics. Independent research project for 2 years during college. Ben & Jerry's employee for 1+ years, still employed. Volunteer at an animal shelter.

Pretty good, as long as I don't get particularly flustered by a question. (It's after the interview that I'll be all shaky and weird)

I am a good writer, so there shouldn't be problems with grammar or usage. The content is probably pretty okay.

???? are you serious?

That's exactly what I was thinking! If you are really questioning your chances then I guess the rest of us are just screwed and better find another profession! Don't you read the threads and see that you are way above the average applicant?! There is no reason to be asking what we think unless you are trying to make the rest of us feel like CRAP!

SUNY - Buffalo
MCPHS - Worcester
LECOM - Erie
UCSD
UCSF
Purdue

Seriously....that's not funny. This is a serious thread. I don't appreciate you making fun of us. I really hope your immaturity comes through in your interviews and you don't take up a spot in Pharmacy school. We do not need people like you in the industry.

Last edited:
Shenandoah
University of Maryland
Thomas Jefferson University
Creighton University (Distance)

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA
3.59/3.29

Verbal 97
Biology 81
Reading Comprehension 95
Quantitative Ability 96
Chemistry 76
Composite 95

Writing 3.0

Just wanted to mention that I'd only taken Bio 101 and Chem 101 and 102 when I took the PCAT. I think I could do better on the science scores now that I've had OChem, A&P and Micro.

I've worked retail for 2+ years

10/15/2008, submitted supplementals the same day. PharmCAS mailed out 11/03/2008

Two letters from pharmacists I work with, one is the pharmacy manager and the other is the owner of the whole local chain for which I work.
The third was from my physics prof. This class was really hard for me and I busted my butt to earn the As I received. My prof worked with me through it.

I've ridden horses for 17 years, been training them for about 6. No volunteer experience outside the barn :eek: (this is the part that worries me)

I'm very good at building rapport with strangers, as long as I prepare and stay relaxed I think I'll be fine.

I agonized over this. In the end I was pleased with the result but I don't think it was as good as it could have been in hindsight (way way short, 2193 characters!). The grammar and writing style were good, I just feel I could've 'sold' myself better however I had to explain a dismal first 18 months of college (9 Ws, but have straight As ever since).

So what do you think? I've got some good parts, and some really really bad parts. I just hope the overall picture is okay enough for me to get accepted.

My apologies, everyone. I would delete that post if I could (and if several people hadn't already quoted it in its entirety.) I didn't post it to make anyone feel like crap.

Several of the schools I am applying to do not look at PCAT scores, so that isn't even a factor for half of my schools. I also have absolutely no real pharmacy experience, very little volunteer experience, and no extracurriculars from college (besides employment.) I was under the impression that numbers aren't everything, so I am honestly nervous about the non-numerical parts of my application.

I am sorry for being nervous like the rest of you, seeing as how we are all in the same boat right now. I won't post here again since everyone seems to hate me already. :(

My apologies, everyone. I would delete that post if I could (and if several people hadn't already quoted it in its entirety.) I didn't post it to make anyone feel like crap.

Several of the schools I am applying to do not look at PCAT scores, so that isn't even a factor for half of my schools. I also have absolutely no real pharmacy experience, very little volunteer experience, and no extracurriculars from college (besides employment.) I was under the impression that numbers aren't everything, so I am honestly nervous about the non-numerical parts of my application.

I am sorry for being nervous like the rest of you, seeing as how we are all in the same boat right now. I won't post here again since everyone seems to hate me already. :(

awww nono, don't feel bad. I think we are just extra sensitive because your stats are so impressive. Me especially because I was wait-listed at UB, I wish I had your stats :)
But really, this forum is a great resource, you should definitely post if you have any questions/comments. No one hates you!! :)

I will reiterate my comment about your immaturity...

Being nervous is totally understandable, we all are. For the most part none of us have anything to worry about. Your scores are quite good and you will be fine. Numbers are nearly everything, the only time they aren't is when they are low.

On another note, perhaps you should rethink everything you are doing on these forums and how you present yourself. Your first post came across either as mean or just plain stupid. Your second post comes across as incredibly childish. This site is a great resource for people who realize it's potential. Right now, you are just wasting our time and your's.

Shenandoah
University of Maryland

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA
3.59/3.29

Verbal 97
Biology 81
Reading Comprehension 95
Quantitative Ability 96
Chemistry 76
Composite 95

Writing 3.0

Just wanted to mention that I'd only taken Bio 101 and Chem 101 and 102 when I took the PCAT. I think I could do better on the science scores now that I've had OChem, A&P and Micro.

10/15/2008, submitted supplementals the same day. PharmCAS mailed out 11/03/2008

Two letters from pharmacists I work with, one is the pharmacy manager and the other is the owner of the whole local chain for which I work.
The third was from my physics prof. This class was really hard for me and I busted my butt to earn the As I received. My prof worked with me through it.

I've ridden horses for 17 years, been training them for about 6. No volunteer experience outside the barn :eek: (this is the part that worries me)

I'm very good at building rapport with strangers, as long as I prepare and stay relaxed I think I'll be fine.

I agonized over this. In the end I was pleased with the result but I don't think it was as good as it could have been in hindsight (way way short, 2193 characters!). The grammar and writing style were good, I just feel I could've 'sold' myself better however I had to explain a dismal first 18 months of college (9 Ws, but have straight As ever since).

So what do you think? I've got some good parts, and some really really bad parts. I just hope the overall picture is okay enough for me to get accepted.

In my opinion you seem a perfect candidate. You are very well rounded. If you are concerned retake the PCAT again, but your scores are great and I don't think you should worry. As far as volunteer work goes it is never too late to start! I've been volunteering with Hospice for the past three years and it is incredibly enriching. It's not pharmacy, but it is healthcare, and patient contact is important. Maybe try to volunteer as a local Hospice, hospital, or anything really. The community always needs another set of hands! Best of luck to you.

SUNY - Buffalo
MCPHS - Worcester
LECOM - Erie
UCSD
UCSF
Purdue

From someone who's already in, if you are at all unsure about your interview skills you may wish to review some common questions for the school you're applying to. (Check interview feedback)
The other flaw would be the lack of experience. I got in without any so it's not an absolute must, but you'll want to be able to explain why not.
Overall, as everyone else has alluded to, your chances are very good.

schools applying to: campbell (#1 choice), UMD and idk yet
b. Overall GPA- 2.8
c. Math/Science GPA - not too great
d. GPA in last one or two school years- 2.8
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)- didnt get scores yet
f. Pharmacy experience obtained - 1 year as pharm tech at cvs ... shadowed pharmer at hospital

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs- 4 LORs..one pharmacist, 1 microbio teacher, 1 college algebra teacher, 1 econ teacher
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience - volunteered at daycare center..extraciriculars: MSA, SGA, Paksa, Pharm Club, Multicultural club
j. Self-perception of interview skills- i'll do fine i guess..just rehearse and practice right?
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality .. i got it chekced by 3 differnet pple and they said it was great

now, wht are my chances?

I'm not familiar with the schools, but my overall impression is that your GPA is on the low end of the spectrum. You'd probably be at or below most minimums. I'm assuming since your total and past 2 year GPAs are the same that you've only got 2 years in. I'd suggest cutting back on some of the ECs to make time for study and GPA improvement. I'd check with the schools in your case as I wouldn't think your chances are very good with the GPA. The rest looks fine, but since GPA generally accounts for the largest portion of a schools application grading, it would be difficult as is.

Shenandoah
University of Maryland

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA
3.59/3.29

Verbal 97
Biology 81
Reading Comprehension 95
Quantitative Ability 96
Chemistry 76
Composite 95

Writing 3.0

As you suggested, you might look into over EC opportunities near you. The GPA should be average to low average depending on the school, so focusing on the ECs is probably paramount at this point. Chances look pretty good otherwise. You'll just need to be prepared to explain why no other ECs (if asked, don't bring it up yourself).

Re: comments about better than normal WAMC posts. If you think the person is trolling report the post.
The point is not to berate others or suggest that someone shouldn't be posting. People may overestimate weak points in their otherwise stellar stats. You are more than welcome to your opinion, but please be courteous.

I think you will have a chance as long as you make at least 60< on PCAT and explain your low gpa through you PS! GOOD LUCK!:luck:

WAMC?
Applying to: Sullivan, UK, Cincinnati

GPA: 3.13
(GPA last year has been like ~2.5, but should be ~3.5 this semester)

PCAT: 73
(got 63 the first time w/o studying so I studied chemistry for about 2 weeks before the second time and got a 73)

No Pharmacy experience, but I helped to found a non-profit organization that hosts a weekend convention for Japanese animation and culture and work as the Director of Programing, also serve as officer for a couple other non-pharmacy related organizations.

I'd appreciate some feedback on my stats. I'm just a second year student at a community college and I think I could benefit from some suggestions about my chances.

-Schools: UACP, ETSU, and Wingate
-Overall GPA: 3.8
-Science GPA: 3.7
-PCAT: 65 :( -This concerns me the most. I had an absolutely awful chemistry score (38)..but got a 94 on biology, upper 80's in verbal, upper 60's and 70's on everything else.
-Pharmacy Experience: 1 year as a pharmacy tech. at a retail pharmacy.
-Date Application Submitted: 9/29/08
-LOR: 3- Anatomy Professor/Advisor, Microbiology Professor, Pharmacist
-Volunteer Work: 600+ Hrs in the last 3 years
-Interview Skills: I think it will be one of my strong points as long as I don't get tied up on a question.
-Personal Statement: I feel that I did pretty good.

Do you think I have enough to make up for the hideous chemistry score? Any suggestion?

Thanks!

hey ........... Ur profile is really impressive .... so i think u ll definately get through in good schools . So dont worry ....

WAMC?
Applying to: Sullivan, UK, Cincinnati

GPA: 3.13
(GPA last year has been like ~2.5, but should be ~3.5 this semester)

PCAT: 73
(got 63 the first time w/o studying so I studied chemistry for about 2 weeks before the second time and got a 73)

No Pharmacy experience, but I helped to found a non-profit organization that hosts a weekend convention for Japanese animation and culture and work as the Director of Programing, also serve as officer for a couple other non-pharmacy related organizations.

I like the ECs (from a coolness point of view at least). Any leadership experience is good. GPA is eh, fairish. PCAT needs a boost, but it depends on where you apply and their average stats. Depending on how many units you have the 3.5 is a good sign but may not boost the GPA that much if you've already completed several units. Sullivan I think is fairly new so chances there are porbably better than the other two, but again you'd have to look at their stats from the last couple of years (or call) to get a fair estimate.

I'd appreciate some feedback on my stats. I'm just a second year student at a community college and I think I could benefit from some suggestions about my chances.

-Schools: UACP, ETSU, and Wingate
-Overall GPA: 3.8
-Science GPA: 3.7
-PCAT: 65 :( -This concerns me the most. I had an absolutely awful chemistry score (38)..but got a 94 on biology, upper 80's in verbal, upper 60's and 70's on everything else.
-Pharmacy Experience: 1 year as a pharmacy tech. at a retail pharmacy.
-Date Application Submitted: 9/29/08
-LOR: 3- Anatomy Professor/Advisor, Microbiology Professor, Pharmacist
-Volunteer Work: 600+ Hrs in the last 3 years
-Interview Skills: I think it will be one of my strong points as long as I don't get tied up on a question.
-Personal Statement: I feel that I did pretty good.

Do you think I have enough to make up for the hideous chemistry score? Any suggestion?

Thanks!

I agree with Jig. I think your GPA compensates for the PCAT well enough, especially given the Pharm exp and ECs. I'd think (depending on how they view CCs and the average rate of BS/BAs at the school) you should have a decent shot at an interview, and if you interview well, things could look up. If they have a high percentage of 4yr degrees things could be different.

First of all, post in the WAMC (what are my chances) thread up top.

Second of all, nobody can possibly give you an accurate prediction when you say your pre-pharm GPA is 3.XX because this can be anywhere from 3.00-3.99; however, it's obviously toward the lower end or else you wouldn't be so elusive about it. But being that your cummulative is under a 3.0, I would say you have your work cut out for you because this is certainly below average for the vast majority of schools. Your PCAT is a 6X. Most schools consider a 75% composite to be competitive so by giving you the benefit of the doubt of a 69% you are still below the average. 3 year programs are accelerated programs that generally have higher expectations. If you have great LORs and EC's you certainly have a chance but your GPA and PCAT are below average at most schools.

Finally, if you are planning on applying for Fall 2009 at a rolling admissions school, being that it's November and people have been applying since June, your chances are even lower. Not trying to be a Debby Downer here, just honest, the light shining on your odds gets more and more dim with each passing day.

discussion moved to WAMC thread

Applying to U of New Mexico, U of Colorado, Howard, U of Maryland, UIC, and Chicago St.

Cum GPA 2.6
All Science 2.2
Prerequisite Science 2.9
Last year GPA 3.18

PCAT overall composite 91 (too old for half of the schools, retook in October)

5 years pharmacy experience (avg. 32 hours/week) in an HMO medical office, 2 months as Pharmacy Technician, (Pharmacy employee of the year nominee 2006)

Submitting application next week or so.

3 LORs. Pharmacy Manager, Pharmacy Supervisor, Science Professor.

Founded non-profit organization promoting music in schools in 2000. Various community volunteer work (non-health realated).

B.S. degree in Human Biology

Next semester I am retaking 3 classes to boost GPA.

I am confident in my interview skills and my personal statement.

I realize that my GPA is definitely below average, and am only applying to schools that I am over their minimum requirements.

I know there's a million of these things but i really could use some help figuring out where I'm at. I have talked to advisors and such but they didn't seem to be really paying attention. I need a kind soul.

I'm almost half way done with my junior year now. I'm doing organic chem right now and I'm finding it hard, is this what all of pharm school would be like?

PCAT or Summer Class

I have most of the requirements done for most of the schools i've been looking at. I have not taken the pcat, the reason is that i haven't taken microbiology and anatomy and physiology.

Over winter break i'm either going to study and then take the pcat or take orgo lab, which do you recommend?

GPA

My GPA at my school is about 3.08 right now. It has some particular blemishes on it.

Freshman year: D in freshman composition, C+ in intro to anthropology, W in intro to theater

Soph year: F in calc 2

I retook calc 2 over the summer and got an A. That, with a few other classes i took at other schools makes my overall gpa more like 3.26. Also, my gpa for required courses is a bit higher than my overall.

Extracurriculars/Stuff

2 years on E-Board for habitat for humanity so far
I talked to the director of pharmacy at a hospital and he said i could do some volunteer stuff this summer but i'm holding off to see if it is even possible to get into pharmacy.
racquetball club

Chances/What to do next?

It looks like average gpa is more like 3.7 for most schools which doesn't seem possible, even if i aced all my classes. I don't care where i'd go, i just don't want to end up getting denied and having just a bio degree (don't know what i'd do with that.)

Is there anything i can do to have a good chance at getting in somewhere? What should i be doing next?

It looks like average gpa is more like 3.7 for most schools which doesn't seem possible, even if i aced all my classes.

Ok, I will be the poster boy again. It looks like a 3.7 is average at most schools? You are wrong, it's much lower. Hit the back button, and look at the top of the page and use the WAMC thread. Good luck.

The best thing you can do is try and keep on getting good grades to improve your GPA. I'm currently in my first year and we have not done anything that has to do with organic chemistry its mostly biochemistry.

Applying to U of New Mexico, U of Colorado, Howard, U of Maryland, UIC, and Chicago St.

Cum GPA 2.6
All Science 2.2
Prerequisite Science 2.9
Last year GPA 3.18

5 years pharmacy experience (avg. 32 hours/week) in an HMO medical office, 2 months as Pharmacy Technician, (Pharmacy employee of the year nominee 2006)

Founded non-profit organization promoting music in schools in 2000. Various community volunteer work (non-health realated).

I realize that my GPA is definitely below average, and am only applying to schools that I am over their minimum requirements.

As long as you apply to pharmacy schools that don't have a minimum overall Science GPA of 2.5, then you'll be fine.

91 composite is impressive. If the age of this score is accepted, then the 91 will definitely help you get a few interview invites.

good luck :)

Thanks, for gpa, do summer courses count equally as regular courses? Also whats the lowest acceptable grade to get in orgo?

Also, its good to hear its not all orgo based in pharm school.

For the most part, schools look at summer and normal courses the same. It's just the number of credits that's important. There are some schools that prefer the harder classes to be taken during the normal academic year, but I'm unsure how much they really care.

As for the lowest acceptable grade, it will vary by schools but the norm I've seen is usually a C or better in all your pre-reqs. Of course, you should always be aiming for the A anyways. ;)

PCAT/SUMMER CLASSES: is there a reason you can't do both? if you feel like you'd be taking on too much, look at what's going to work out for you. if you can take the pcat again in the spring, then go for it. that way you'll still have the summer and fall pcat of next year to take it a second time if you want to get orgo out of the way (which would probably be wise to have under your belt).

GPA: It's good that you retook calc and got an A. Maybe retake the english comp as well? Some schools look at all of your grades, good and bad, and academic forgiveness can cost you on an app. For core science classes like orgo, bio, etc. you don't really want to get anything below a C... maybe even below a B. But as long as the rest of your grades remain strong and you have good experience/recommendations, then you should have a fair shot.

Extracurric: Definitely try to get any pharm experience you can!! Go for the volunteering, it will help your app a lot. And you should get a good letter out of it in the end.

Chances: Even if a school has an average gpa of 3.7, that's an AVERAGE. Meaning, people with lower gpa's DO get in (maybe a stellar pcat, or other work-related experience). As long as you're above a 3.0, I think it's ok for most schools. Try to get it as high as you can though... maybe closer to a 3.3-3.5. Just don't get disheartened so easily! You have a lot of time left to make up some ground. Finish out your junior year strong, so at least you can show that you've improved from your freshman grades. Get solid LORs, and as much experience with pharmacy as you can. Leave yourself enough time to take the pcat a 2nd time if you need to, I think most schools now are cutting it off at the October pcat for fall applications.

Organic is usually hard for everyone. The one piece of advice I received that made a difference for me was I was told to memorize everything, especially the mechanisms. Eventually it became second nature for me. And don't you have to do Organic lab the same semester as the class? I don't remember how much micro/physio/anatomy was on the PCAT. Most study books will cover the majority of subjects needed and the various levels of questions (I used Barron's). As far as your GPA, this is what all schools look at first. 3.08 is good. It will meet the minimum requirements for most programs, but all programs want high GPAs. This is what gets you the initial interview. Then it's all about personality. No one's mentioned a "W" as a bad grade to me, and I have a few (mostly due to financial situations). My GPA royally sucks from 2 bad years, but I improved on it significantly with 3 really good years (lots of A's). Redoing Calc2 with an A is a great improvement, and shows your capabilities. Extracurriculars are good as well, but I would definitely get some form of pharmacy experience in asap. How do you know you want to be a pharmacist with no experience? Maybe you find out it's right for you, maybe it's totally wrong for you. Best of luck either way.

Cum GPA 2.6
All Science 2.2
Prerequisite Science 2.9
Last year GPA 3.18

You have a similar stat sheet to me (GPA, cumulative, PCAT, experience, LORs, BSc-Biology) and I was accepted to Colorado University (last month through early decision). It's nice to see you did your research though. Not many people do. So do what you can to boost your GPA with the retaking of courses, and good luck. :)

Currently go to: Rutger University- Newark
Applying to: USP Pharm and LIU Pharm
GPA: Cumulative GPA=3.5
Core Science/ Math GPA=
PCAT: Probably around 40-50% ( took it in October, didnt really get time to study)
Extracircular activites: Help a friend start math club (Vice President)
Volunteer: over 400 hrs in past 8yrs at my temple (but its not on paper)

I am almost done with both of the applications. Just need to get one more recommendation letter and finish my essays

What are my chances??

Thanks for all the helpful advise everyone, couple of things.

1. I meant to write winter break, the class i was looking at had us meeting 5 hours a day. I think I'm going to to just use the break to study and then take the pcat. This leaves me with the following summer and october to retake if necesarry.

2. This spring semester i'm going to take physics 2, orgo 2, orgo lab, and a pluralism gen ed. Its 14 credits, this too light of a course load? Only other option i can think is dropping orgo lab and taking an under level bio course that isn't required for prepharm.

3. I took the freshman composition class at another school, the school I am in does not offer a standard freshman writing course. I'm in the closest thing I could find, it fullfills a writing requirement, its based on medieval literature though. I'm getting an A so far but do you think I should try to find a class at another school more tailored specifically to the fundamentals of writing? My only problem with this is that my school doesn't accept writing or oral classes from summer/winter sessions.

4. Similar problem, some schools want a 3 or 4 credit oral class, again, my school doesn't offer such a class. There are classes that are 4 credits that fullfill my school's oral requirement, but they are classes such as history that just have the required amount of oral presentations. Any suggestions, will these classes cover my requirements?

I go to SUNY Binghamton btw, not exactly a little school, I don't know why they don't offer these basic courses.

Storm, i did get the chance to get walked through a hospital pharmacy for a few hours, talked to the pharmacist and some interns there. I do hope that volunteer experience could solidify my interests though.

Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.