THE WAMC thread (what are my chances?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
a. Schools you are applying to: MUSC
b. Overall GPA: 3.3
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.5
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.7
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Will be taking it in August 2009
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 6 Months worth volunteer experience :/, don't laugh....
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): August 2009

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs:
Zero so far, but will be working on it this upcoming fall semester.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: zilch
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Good communication and interpersonal skill. I think I would do well if given a chance for an interview.
k. Additional Info: I didn't do too well my freshman year, but I have learned from that and was able to bring my grades up from 2.375.:eek: If I don't get in this year, I will get my B.S in Biology in about another year and a half.

what are my chances?:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I will be a 3rd year biochemistry undergrad from UCLA and will be applying next year, but I would like to gauge where I stand, so I know what to focus on. Thanks!

a. Schools you are applying to: California schools, UT Austin, UTenn, Kansas, Houston, Buffalo, Creighton, Purdue, UF, Mass, OSU, Temple, Pitt
b. Overall GPA: 3.8
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.9
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.8
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Will take
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Volunteer at UCLA Medical Center Pharmacy for 3 months(continuing)
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): 2010 cycle

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 1 LOR from research prof, 1 from pharmacy that I volunteer at, 1 from a professor that knows me well
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: 1 year of research in a physical chemistry lab, Volunteering at UCLA medical center for 2 years, Global Health Chair for the American Medical Students Association.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Not too well, but I am working on it. I tend to stutter a lot and I lose track of what I'm saying.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I'm a pretty good writer and I have access to many that are willing to help me edit and re-edit.
l. Other EC: Was in UCLA Chorus for 2 years

Additional info: I am a Californian and I have family that attend USC and UHouston.

Thank you so much and tips on how I can improve is welcome, as well as schools I should apply to. =)

Last edited:
My overall GPA will be around 3.3-3.4. I will have completed about 153 credits in 9 semesters and with a couple summer courses or about a semester or two less for schools that have earlier deadlines. The thing that worries me is that in my 5th semester, I had transferred to a harder university and had low grades that semester (1.4gpa) which lead me to be ineligible for a semester. Only one course that semester was an important prereq for Pharm schools and it was Physics I which I got a C-. The rest of the courses counted as electives or for my degree. Eventually I re-took the courses I got C-'s and D's on that semester and got good grades. At the same school and a couple summer classes at another one, my last 76 credits after that bad semester, I made above a 3.6gpa. I will be having a Chemistry degree and enough prereqs completed to apply to almost any pharmacy school.

I just wanted to add that my top priority is UNC and I currently attend there. Do I have a decent chance to get in there with my academic record and if I do well on the PCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
a. Schools you are applying to: University of Florida, LECOM-Bradenton, NOVA, FAMU, Mercer, U of Georgia, Hawaii, Chicago State, and University of Arkansas...possibly a few others.
b. Overall GPA: 3.65
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.57
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.5
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Awaiting June test results. Also taking again in August.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 2 years certified pharmacy tech

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3 LORS, 2 Pharmacist and Organic Chemistry professor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Red Cross for Kids Chair, Pre-Pharmacy club Historian, and Girl Scouts of America.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Confident with my interview skills.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: My personal statement is still undergoing some changes with many reviews set up.
l. Additional Info: Two withdrawls: Oceanography and World Regional Geography...both online. CPR certified...does that matter?

what are my chances?:scared:

a. Schools you are applying to: University of Texas, Texas Tech, OU, SWOSU
b. Overall GPA: 3.50
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.10
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 4.0
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 74
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: worked in a pharmacy since 12 with parents
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Applying for Fall 2010

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: none
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: PDC volunteer work, nursing home work
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I was a state finalist in debate, I have great speaking skills
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I think it's great

a. Schools you are applying to: Touro, University of the Pacific, California NorthState
b. Total PharmCAS GPA: 3.30

c. Science PharmCAS GPA: 3.10
d. NonScience PharmCAS GPA: 3.47
e. Math PharmCAS gpa: 3.57
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Worked within a pharmacy for a year an half
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): PharmCAS submitted June 17th and Secondary Submitted: July 5th

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: General Chem Prof, Graduate Program Prof, Pharmacist, Director of health education program I volunteer for
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Worked with the CDC, American Legacy Foundation, Presented at National Conference on Tobacco or Health, Volunteer at church teaching children hindi and punjabi, and throw a huge nonprofit dance competition at my university each year and raise over $200,000 that goes to a charity in India.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I think I have good communication and interpersonal skills.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I think they were both good.

Thanks for taking a look at my stats. Any advise or help on getting me into pharmacy school would be great. I'm very nervous and super stressed out! :scared: (But, I'm sure all of us are...!)

tydt- You stats seem good enough but you may want to apply to more schools, unless you're dead set on MUSC and will apply the next cycle if you're not accepted this time. Get those LORs!

UCLA 2011- That's alot of schools so I'm sure you'll get some interview invites from at least a few. Your stats are strong so I wouldn't worry about that. Practice in front of a mirror for your interview and think of answers to possible questions beforehand. It's easy to be stressed out but the practice will give your confidence (did for me).

Kordjames- UNC is competitive as you well know. I am assuming you are a NC resident? That'll help. You show the upward trend and your GPA is just below their average, so you're not out of the running. Not sure how much percentage UNC accepts from their own undergrad, but unfortunately I've heard it's not a lot. But just get at least a 75+ PCAT (because I've heard from a reputable source that they offer interviews to applicants with at least that) and do well on the interview.

MMaley- Stats are good, those withdrawals shouldn't matter. You should get an interview.

azwethinkweizm- your overall GPA is great but the math/science may be lacking, but still should be good enough. Your experience is great and will carry you. I'm sure you will get the interview, and your speaking skills will get you the acceptance.

a. Schools you are applying to: UCSF, UCSD,(<- These two ideally) UOP, Touro,
b. Overall GPA: 3.38
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.34
d. GPA in last one or two school years: Upward trend from a ~2.0 to ~3.5
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Not taking it only applying to CA schools because my father is a retired veteran (GI Bill).
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Over 250 hours as a Pharmacy Clerk at a Hospital (About a year)
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Will be applying June-July 2010
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 1 from a general chemistry professor and one from a pharmacist, Going to ask from another pharmacist.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Doing a Year of Research in toxicology with my Chemistry professor. Going to be photographing for the school newspaper.Volunteering at a Hospital pharmacy.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I believe I am very personable, and easy to like
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality:Have not written it yet
l. Additional Info: Two withdrawls: Philosophy and Psychology.

Last edited:
Hi qtsjoe, I just wanted to mention to you that you may want to find another letter of recommendation because I believe both UCSF and UCSD require at least 3, and at most 4.

You must provide either 3 or 4 recommendations. If you submit fewer than 3 recommendations, your application will be considered incomplete and is subject to cancellation.
from the UCSF website.

I'm still prepharm myself, so I don't want to make any comments that might be wrong but the rest of your stats seem very solid to me.

a. Schools you are applying to:
top choices: usc, ucsd, ucsf, western
other: possibly the rest in CA, looking into out of states but don't want to take PCAT. Does anyone suggest other schools with my stats and no PCAT?
b. Overall GPA: 3.409

I like to dance and have taken many courses, would it matter to complete a dance minor to boost my GPA? but it wouldn't count for my science/math GPA anyways, and it wouldn't show up in time for this cycle.

c. Math/Science GPA: approx. 3.2
d. GPA in last one or two school years: this last year its been 3.0, 3.0, 3.6...I would say its been an upside down bell curve, I blame it on the upper divs!
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): n/a
f. Pharmacy experience obtained:

pharm tech certified by passing PTCE, but no experience (yes I have tried...emailing over 50+ pharmacies and applying to all the usual retail and personally going in and talking to about 5..no luck).

member, pre-pharmacy society (2009)

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
Plan to turn it in early August 2009
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
general chemistry professor
molecular biology professor
programming organization chair
camp counselor supervisor

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience

studying abroad in Asia for fall 2009, might take some science classes for kicks
shadow an acupuncturist for 3 days (summer 2009)
teacher, science camp for youth (summer 2009)
3 day volunteer trip to Mexico to help immigrants (spring 2009)
lab office assistant (2008)
officer, college student council (2006-2007)
event chair, college programming organization (2006-2007)
art teacher at city community center (summer 2006)
city recreational leader (2005-2006)
shadow medical professionals at hospital for 160 hours (summer 2005)
*I realize I have a lot of e/c unfortunately they are not directly related to pharmacy*

j. Self-perception of interview skills

top 20%

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality

top 20%

thanks!

additional info: will have my bachelors in biology by June 2010

a. Schools you are applying to: Touro, University of the Pacific, California NorthState
b. Total PharmCAS GPA: 3.30
c. Science PharmCAS GPA: 3.10
d. NonScience PharmCAS GPA: 3.47
e. Math PharmCAS gpa: 3.57
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Worked within a pharmacy for a year an half
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): PharmCAS submitted June 17th and Secondary Submitted: July 5th
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: General Chem Prof, Graduate Program Prof, Pharmacist, Director of health education program I volunteer for
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Worked with the CDC, American Legacy Foundation, Presented at National Conference on Tobacco or Health, Volunteer at church teaching children hindi and punjabi, and throw a huge nonprofit dance competition at my university each year and raise over $200,000 that goes to a charity in India.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I think I have good communication and interpersonal skills.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I think they were both good.

Anyone that was admitted to Touro, UOP or CNS if you could get me a realistic idea of if I even have a shot. :xf: I'm so nervous and to top it off I'm struggling in OChem. I don't know why I thought I'd be able to handle it in the summer. Its intense!!! :(
*Sorry for the repost-I wanted to get feedback from admited students*

a. Schools you are applying to: USC, UOP, Touro, Northstate, UCSD, Western (#1 choice)
b. Overall GPA- Cumulative undergrad: 2.91 =(..... Overall (including 47 units of graduate courses): 3.07
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.07
d. GPA in last one or two school years:
3.84 (does this play an important role? I am so worried that my undergrad cumulative is too low... however, I will receive my master in sp 2010 with a GPA of 3.84. Will this help me?
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Not required
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 2 year as a pharm clerk. Received my tech certificate in April 09 and currently waiting on my license
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Pharmcas- submitted June 23, but they have not sent out my apps yet. I finish my secondary for UOP and USC.... waiting on 1 more letter of rec so I can submitt western. Does Western review their apps on a rolling base?

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs-
3 LOR... Bio professor, research advisor and pharmacist. I was thinking to ask the Bio Chair...
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience-
I worked as a receptionist and volunteered at a animal shelter- but only for about 40 hours.
j. Self-perception of interview skills- not too good. I will definitely practice this area
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality-
It tells a story... of my downfalls and how I overcame my downfall and why pharmacy is my ideal career choice. Grammar is good since I had it proofread by many different people.

**** Has anyone been in the same situation as me where your undergrad GPA is not too good, but you redeemed youself by taking additional classes to increase your GPA. I am ashame to say that I have not gotten an interview after applying twice in 06 and 07... but since then, my GPA has improved tremendously. I am so worried that I will get another rejection- any comments or advice would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a miserable cum and science gpa.. under a 3.0.. been working at CVS for a year and have a pharm tech license.. and some volunteer work.. based on these stats, what are the best schools to apply to?

a. Schools you are applying to:UNC, Wingate, also looking at UColorado, UCSD, USC (some other Cali schools) UMD, University of Sciences - Philly, MUSC, UGeorgia, among others. UNC is top choice, by far. Any suggestions for me? I am not too limited by geography I would like a strong science school where some graduates go into research or work for big pharma.
b. Overall (pre-req) GPA: Had sub 3.0 in undergrad at top 40 private university. Since then took pre-reqs (intro bio, chem, physics, orgo, and A&P) and have received an A in every class at state universities.
c. Math/Science GPA: Bad at undergrad, but 4.0 since
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 91st percentile (91 bio, 91 chem, 89 QA, 80 reading, 73 verbal)
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Total of 3 years of tech experience
g. Date of application submission: Hopefully by the end of this month

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 2 LORs from professors. One PhD head of biology dept and public school where I took pre-reqs upon returning to school. Had highest average in his class of over 100 students. Other from non-PhD professor whom was chem teacher as well as orgo lab intructor, knows me pretty well.
1 LOR from district pharmacy supervisor from CVS whom knows me pretty well due to the specialty of my position.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Over a year of work in psychiatric unit of hospitals coordinating, planning, and leading therapy groups.
Research experience at undergrad. Not science lab research but more along the lines of psych research in which I planned and developed a study, enrolled and tested participants, wrote a paper and presented our findings. This was however a school project and not an official government funded study.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: I think I am a pretty solid interview. Been offered jobs at every place that I have interviewed for
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Still working on it. I plan on making it very good.

Thanks

Last edited:
UCSF; if you're interested in research, do you have any research exp as well?

a. Schools you are applying to:UNC, Wingate, also looking at UColorado, UCSD, USC (some other Cali schools) UMD, University of Sciences - Philly, MUSC, UGeorgia, among others. UNC is top choice, by far. Any suggestions for me? I am not too limited by geography I would like a strong science school where some graduates go into research or work for big pharma.
b. Overall (pre-req) GPA: Had sub 3.0 in undergrad at top 40 private university. Since then took pre-reqs (intro bio, chem, physics, orgo, and A&P) and have received an A in every class at state universities.
c. Math/Science GPA: Bad at undergrad, but 4.0 since
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 91st percentile (91 bio, 91 chem, 89 QA, 80 reading, 73 verbal)
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Total of 3 years of tech experience
g. Date of application submission: Hopefully by the end of this month

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 2 LORs from professors. One PhD head of biology dept and public school where I took pre-reqs upon returning to school. Had highest average in his class of over 100 students. Other from non-PhD professor whom was chem teacher as well as orgo lab intructor, knows me pretty well.
1 LOR from district pharmacy supervisor from CVS whom knows me pretty well due to the specialty of my position.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Over a year of work in psychiatric unit of hospitals coordinating, planning, and leading therapy groups.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I think I am a pretty solid interview. Been offered jobs at every place that I have interviewed for
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Still working on it. I plan on making it very good.

Thanks

Hey guys, I somehow just barely discovered this forum. So here goes: my obligatory WAMC request! I am applying for admission immediately after receiving my Bachelor's of Science from Caltech.

a. Schools you are applying to: UCSF, USC, UCSD, Touro, Western
b. Overall GPA: 3.39
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.35
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.46
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 99th percentile composite, Verbal 89, Bio 98, Reading 69 (ouch), Math 99, Chem 99
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 2 weeks of shadowing in a hospital pharmacy, planning on doing 3 more weeks in a retail pharmacy in September.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Hope to have PharmCAS done by mid-August, end of August at the latest. Secondaries by mid-September.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: Four. 1 from Biochem prof, 1 from Microbiology prof, 1 from my research mentor (Bio prof), 1 from my work-study employer (Lab Equipment Manager)
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: 1 year of working with and being a board member of Caltech Y Excomm (plans social/cultural/volunteer/outdoors events), 1 year of volunteering at a children's museum, 2 years of research in Neurodegenerative diseases, 3.5 years of being a lab assistant (work study), 0.33 years of TAing the introductory Bio class, hopefully 1 year of TAing the inorganic and organic chemistry lab classes, 3 years of Hatha Yoga, a couple months of reading to kids and cooking dinner for homeless at a shelter, and a winner of Rose Hills Foundation Scholarship for 2008-2009.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: They were fine previous to undergrad, I think I will definitely have to practice to get them back up to that level.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I'd randomly guess it will be B range, since I haven't yet started. Been planning though, and I have proofreaders lined up.

My primary concerns are definitely lack of pharmacy experience and GPA. If I don't get in to anything this year I'd be fine taking classes at community college to improve GPA and maybe volunteering more at a pharmacy, while continuing research as well (need some source of income!). I'm also worried about the fact that I haven't really been taking things seriously until now...

Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I'm a rising High School Senior set on obtaining a PharmD. I'm only looking at 0-6 or "early assurance" schools in the Northeast-ish. What are my present chances? What can I do to improve my chances? Other schools in the Northeast-ish that I should consider?

a. Schools you are applying to:
Rutgers, Buffalo, Northeastern, Rhode Island, St John's University
b. Overall GPA- 3.8 ... AP English... 4 years Spanish
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.5 ... AP Bio, AP Chem
d. GPA in last one or two school years:
e. ACT / SAT: 29 ACT, 1220 SAT (650 Math, 570 CR ... just can't do well on the SAT)
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Job shadowing at a local major Pharmacy chain. Job Shadowing at Hospital. About 10 hours per week for the last 4 weeks but will continue until at least September
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): will submit all applications by Oct 1 for Fall 2010

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs-
will get from high school Chemistry, Preceptor, Hospital Volunteer Coordinator
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience-
~300 hours per year for the last 4 years at Nursing Homes, Hospitals, Rehabilitation Center
j. Self-perception of interview skills- ok.. getting better

Also do Women's Track and Cross Country. One of Top 20 (for rising high school Seniors) long distance (3000m-5000m) Track runners in the country.

I just graduated from Berkeley in May, and I'm applying for Fall 2010 admission. I'm scared because I would like to stay in state, but I've heard the schools are really competitive. I also have limited pharmacy experience. Please let me know how my stats look, and if you think I should apply to more schools. Thanks!

a. Schools you are applying to
UCSF, UCSD, UOP, Cal Northstate, University of Illinois at Chicago....maybe more if I complete more prereqs (those are holding me back)

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA

d. GPA in last one or two school years
3.5, but my science grades dropped from mostly As to mostly Bs when I got to upper divs and started becoming more involved in extracirriculars (I'm really worried about my science grade trend)

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
Plan to take for Chicago

f. Pharmacy experience obtained
I volunteered at the univeristy health center pharmacy for one semester

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
By August 2009

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
4 LORs: Work supervisor, 1 science professor, 1 lab professor, and 1 pharmacist

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
Sexual Health peer educator, dorm peer advisor, American Cancer Society volunteer/committee chair and Habitat for Humanity

j. Self-perception of interview skills
I'm pretty comfortable in a one-on-one situation or small setting, group interviews intimidate me, but I have good communication skills from my experience as a peer advisor.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality[/B][/B]
I think it's very sincere, but I haven't read anyone else's so I can't really compare.

amlariul- gpa is good. pcat is excellent. I dont know if california schools look at pcat, but its still a top score in the important 3 sections. Play up your shadowing experience in your PS. You've got excellent chances; nothing to worry about. You can apply the summer between your 3rd and 4th year (now?), get accepted by april 2010, start in september 2010 so there is no gap between college and pharmacy school.

pool shark- act is okay, sat is a little low. theres no writing component?
gpa is also a little low for high school. That would be a great college gpa, though. your extracurriculars show your dedication. I think ad coms will like that. Have your english teachers read your personal statements, and you'll be all set. Your chances are good.

pepperjill- GPA is fine, very good actually. Dont worry about the trend as long as your pre-reqs are still mostly As. Experience is there, LORs are there. You're ready to go. Make sure to study for the pcat. The kaplan book is fine. The harcourt-pearson online practice exams are very helpful too. Try to buy them at least one month beforehand.
UIC is a state school of Illinois and they accept very few out of state applicants (~10 out of 160). If you score high 90s in the pcat, you will have a good chance. Midwestern University is also a good option for you. THey take many out of state applicants maybe 30-40 %.

Best of luck all!

amlariul- gpa is good. pcat is excellent. I dont know if california schools look at pcat, but its still a top score in the important 3 sections. Play up your shadowing experience in your PS. You've got excellent chances; nothing to worry about. You can apply the summer between your 3rd and 4th year (now?), get accepted by april 2010, start in september 2010 so there is no gap between college and pharmacy school.

gpa is also a little low for high school. That would be a great college gpa, though. your extracurriculars show your dedication. I think ad coms will like that. Have your english teachers read your personal statements, and you'll be all set. Your chances are good.

pepperjill- GPA is fine, very good actually. Dont worry about the trend as long as your pre-reqs are still mostly As. Experience is there, LORs are there. You're ready to go. Make sure to study for the pcat. The kaplan book is fine. The harcourt-pearson online practice exams are very helpful too. Try to buy them at least one month beforehand.
UIC is a state school of Illinois and they accept very few out of state applicants (~10 out of 160). If you score high 90s in the pcat, you will have a good chance. Midwestern University is also a good option for you. THey take many out of state applicants maybe 30-40 %.

Best of luck all!

Thanks for the advice avuong, and I will definitely check out Midwestern!

Best of luck all!

You skipped me. Any thoughts?

a. Schools you are applying to: UH Hilo, Oregon State, WASU, UW, UCSD, UCSF??

b. Overall GPA: 3.45

c. Math/Science GPA: 3.38

d. GPA in last one or two school years: around 3.7

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): taking it on 8/22

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: volunteered at a community pharmacy for a year and then worked there for half year

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): still working on my personal statement, but i'm hoping to submit my application this or next month

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3 LORs (2 from pharmacists i'm working with, and 1 from my ochem professor whose also the department chair)

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: besides my volunteer experience at a pharmacy for a year, i'm also a member of my school's pharmacy club, and golden key honour society

j. Self-perception of interview skills: horrible...really need to work on my interview skills, i get wayyyy to nervous :(

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: still working on it...

note: how does freshmen forgiveness work on pharmcas? could someone explain it to me? i didnt do too well for the first 2-3 years when i was still at the community college since i didnt know what i wanted to major in yet (so i was taking mostly liberal art classes, i withdrew my classes for one of the semester)...then i decided to go into business and I started getting straight As...however, i wasnt happy in business school and decided to pursue pharamcy and changed my major to BA (and minor in business) and I maintained my good grades (all As and Bs)...do you think my bad grades from the beginning of my college years will affect my chances? and should I explain it in my personal statement?

Best of luck all!

What about me... :scared:

kirang- science gpa is a little bit low, not bad. GPA fine overall. You have excellent activities. Pharmacy experience is there, LORs good. Your chances are overall very good. Focus on your O-chem class. Dont just memorize the mechanisms, try to see why they go that way (electronegativity, spatial position, etc.) Bust out some cotton balls and fuzzy wires if it'll help you visualize. you'll do fine!

yummygummi- overall GPA is good. health-related ECs are good. Can you ask to shadow with a pharmacist at that hospital? Focus on your PS, show how serious you are and have Admissions critque it. (pharmacyschooladmissions.blogspot) In your PS, dont talk about your generic interest in "healthcare". THats cliche. What specifically about pharmacy interests you? Has a pharmacist affected your life? or have you had positive experiences in the pharmacy. This is why Working as a tech or shadowing is important. Maybe you can have a long chat with a cousin, friend, or relative who is a pharmacist. Thats better than nothing.
Dont worry, lots of people get accepted with no experience. You'll make it in no time!

kogekao- spotless application. You've got everything covered. Emphasize your warmth and love of patient care. When they ask you at interviews: what makes a good pharmacist, dont say "good grades". Say, compassion. You'd be the perfect applicant. You'll make it in for sure!

teva- overall gpa is a little low, especially without a 80+ pcat. Your positive trend is good. PS sounds good. have admissions (pharmacyschooladmissions.blogspot(dot)com) critique your PS. Leave no doubt of your academic ability. Sometimes what we mean to say doesnt always come out the way we intend, and sometimes it can be open to interpretation. Is there ambiguity, or is there any hint of weakness? If anything sounds at all unclear or imperfect--strike it from your PS and begin afresh. You will make it in no time!

anrena- having a low gpa and pcat will set you back. Maybe you can retake some classes at a community college for A's. Having experience is very good. Your PS should reflect your maturity, dedication to pharmacy and patient care, and readiness for pharmacy school. Get A's for two more semesters and your chances will improve markedly. You'll make it in no time!
You should also check:
http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/directoryalphastate.htm
You can check the average gpa, and other stats of applicants to each school.

tjewd- excellent gpa trend, and excellent pcat. You;ve got excellent experience as well! You're an ideal applicant. You'll make it for sure!

A619- good gpa, good trend. you can explain in your PS how you came to choose pharmacy. make it stand out. Dont be cliche, and instead talk specifically about what draws you to pharmacy. Dont say "financial stability," say "I like helping people" and "I like physiology and pharmacokinetics".
Youll make it in no time!

Best of luck all!

Best of luck all!

Thanks auvong. Yea that's what I meant, filling out applications now for admission in Fall of 2010. And I don't think CA pharm schools require PCAT, but I'm hoping they'll at least take a look at it. We'll see. Good luck everyone!

Hey everyone, I'm a 4th year bio major and ill be graduating at the end of summer because i'm retaking the C- classes i got during freshmen year:(. I'm still split on whether i should apply this cycle or next years cycle. hopefully you guys can give some suggestions/opinions on that :).

a. Schools you are applying to: any school that'll take me thats either pre-candidate or higher

b. Overall GPA: 2.98 but should be over 3 by the end of summer and i still have a few prereqs to take because my school doesn't offer them

c. Math/Science GPA: 2.95 same as above

d. GPA in last one or two school years: on average i've been having 3.4 this past year

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): taking this in Aug (hoping i do well):confused:

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 6 months interning at a private pharmacy

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): still working on my PS

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3 recs: 1 biochem lab professor. 1 research advisor, 1 pharmacist

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: 2 years of undergrad research, church volunteering ~20-30 hrs.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: i think i would need to work on this.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: in progress

l. EC: pharmacy society-2 years, and asian club for 2 years as well.

m.plan on getting published in cancer research, but it is currently being reviewed at the moment.

thanks! :)

A619- good gpa, good trend. you can explain in your PS how you came to choose pharmacy. make it stand out. Dont be cliche, and instead talk specifically about what draws you to pharmacy. Dont say "financial stability," say "I like helping people" and "I like physiology and pharmacokinetics".
Youll make it in no time!

Best of luck all!

thanks avuong, do you think i should explain my poor grades for the first 2 years(i even withdrew all my classes one semester) if i dont have a good reason (it's not like i was homeless or had to support my entire my family)? but my transcript shows an upward trend and i've maintained good gpa for the last 3 years? i'm stuck on this part of my personal statment.....

chronice- your chances are okay. your gpa is the only weak point of your application. keep you PS interesting and stay calm during the interviews.
you'll make it in no time!

A619- yes, address it. Ad coms will be left guessing what happened that semester and you dont want them to assume the worst. Enlighten them. Let them know that you learned a very important lesson during your time off.

Last edited:
a. Schools you are applying to: Lipscomb U., Belmont U., and Samford U.
b. Overall GPA: 3.96
c. Math/Science GPA: 4.0
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Took in June... awaiting scores... anxiously..
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: One year in a retail pharmacy chain and still working there.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): August - sept. 2009

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs:4 - 2 pharmacists, organic chem. professor and director of campus/advisor..lol.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: 3 SBC mission trips
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I can rise to a challenge quickly. I think if I can get an interview I have the ability to do a good job.
k. Additional Info: I've kept my GPA almost perfect, but I do go to a community college. More and more students from my school are getting accepted to the pharmacy schools that I'm applying to every year though because of the reputations many of our professors have in the middle TN area.
what are my chances?:xf::xf:

PLEASE I NEED HELP

i am a senior in highschool right now and i am absolutely determined to become a pharmacist. i have researched so much and i know what i need to do but i just dont know if i am able to.

i REALLy want to get into a 0-6 year pharmacy program because i know if i have to take the pcat i would not do so hot. right now im really only looking at schools that offer the 6yr thing becuase i hear the 2+4 year thing is very difficult and stressful. someone suggested i got to get a bachelors in biochem for four years then apply to pharmacy school, would that be better?
i live in pennsylvania so im looking at colleges around this area. i think i have a good chance of getting into Duquesne but i need peoples opinions. ive also been looking at rutgers and temple...with temple im afraid i might have to take the pcat, does anyone know if thats true?

my gpa is around a 3.6
on the sats i got 560 on math, 550 on reading, and 510 in writing. i know they are horrible but i am taking them again in october and i KNOW i can do much better !!
although i have no honors classes, i am a decent student. it makes me nervous though, when i see all of these people my age applying to the same schools as me that have 4 AP classes a year
i go to a very nice private school..do you think this will help my chances at all?
i alrdy wrote my application essay(its amazing, dont worry =]) but i only have one letter of reccomendation(its from a chemistry teacher tho!)
I have been playing one sport and one instrument since i was in first grade. i have a steady job as a party hostess. i volunteer at churches, food pantries, retirement villages, school functions, and daycares. i teach CCD to preschoolers every sunday. i help organize community days. i basically do a bunch of community service which i love. i have various youth group leadership awards because i have put together fund raisers. i belong to a couple clubs at school, art, photography, italian. i participate in a bunch of other things but nothing relating to pharmacy, which i think could hurt my chances a bit =[

i would really appreciate any kind of feedback at all and thank you thank you thank you if you read my extremely long novel above =] and could give me your opinions

cscc- guaranteed admission.

mezonfire- SAT is a little low, gpa also a little low for high school. With your LORs and ECs and a little luck you just might make it into some 0-6's.
You should apply to both 0-6 schools and regular 4-year universities. Getting a Bachelor will help your chances and its a chance for you to restart. Pharmacy schools will look at your college grades at that point, not your high school grades, so make sure you do very well in college.

Best of luck!

cscc- guaranteed admission.

mezonfire- SAT is a little low, gpa also a little low for high school. With your LORs and ECs and a little luck you just might make it into some 0-6's.
You should apply to both 0-6 schools and regular 4-year universities. Getting a Bachelor will help your chances and its a chance for you to restart. Pharmacy schools will look at your college grades at that point, not your high school grades, so make sure you do very well in college.

Best of luck!

Man I hope your right... thanks.

a. Schools you are applying to: UNMC, Creighton(campus program), Iowa, Hawaii, Denver
b. Overall GPA: 3.65
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.65
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.9
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 94 composite
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Started as retail Pharm Tech in May 09 and will continue until school starts
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): August 09

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: Pharmacist/Manager, Another Pharmacist, 2 professors (I don't think these will be very strong but I'm out of options seeing as UNMC requires 2 professors)
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Hospice volunteer since May '08 but with relatively few hours, Worked with kids as a middle school sports coach for 3 years, Also planning on finding a hospital pharmacist to shadow for some hours
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Average
k. Additional Info: Have BS Biology degree from 4 year university, This is my 2nd year applying, only applied to UNMC last year and was rejected (thought my gpa and pcat were enough =/ ). Differences from last years app will be the pharmacy tech job, LORs from pharmacists, shadowing, and applying to more schools. Also will be taking undergrad classes still to fullfil new prereqs and probably raise my gpa slightly.
what are my chances?:xf::xf:

I go to the college of new jersey, which has a good reputation in nj,ny,pa,de,md but outside of that its probably not well known so i am hoping that doesn't hurt my chances, other than that i'll be finishing my BS in chem this year so i'll have that going into pharmacy school.

a. Schools you are applying to - rutgers, umd, unc, usp maybe a few others, mostly east coast
b. Overall GPA - 3.69
c. Math/Science GPA - 3.72
d. GPA in last semester - 3.81
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) - August 2009
f. Pharmacy experience obtained - 3 months as a pharmacy associate in retail
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) - end of august (hopefully)

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs - 3 total, 2 chemistry professors, one of which i currently do research under, and the pharmacist i worked for over the summer. all three individuals know me very well
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience - i've worked 3 years now as a tutor at my college, volunteer at cooper hospital in camden for 6 months and at a soup kitchen, I also do undergrad research related to API's
j. Self-perception of interview skills - pretty good, i tend to be nervous but i am fairly personable
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality - working on it, my essay to apply for college was only ok so i dont have a lot of faith in it

thanks

a. Schools you are applying to: UGA, Mercer, South
b. Overall GPA: 3.95
c. Math/Science GPA: 4.0
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.95
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): verbal- 89
bio- 71
reading-73
math- 73
chem- 88
Composite- 84
f. Pharmacy experience obtained:
year and half at local pharmacy. not certified but i work as a tech.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs:
3, 1 pharmacist, 1 organice chem prof., and 1 from prof who i had for principles of chemistry 1 &2

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: habitat for humanity, pre health club, circle k communitry service club
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Good communication and interpersonal skill. I think I would do well if given a chance for an interview.
k. Additional Info: .......i want to get in!!!!

are you kidding me?!? With those stats, you are sure to get in somewhere. why would you even question yourself.

Hi everyone, this is my first post on here, ive been reading this board for a long time and i finally wanted to see how well i would make it into pharm school. I am graduating from the University of South Florida in August with a Bachelors Degree in Science in the field of Biomedical Sciences with a minor in Public Health.

A. Schools that Im applying to: UF, Nova, LECOM Bradenton, Temple, Univ of Houston, Texas Southern U, Rutgers, University of Sciences in Philly, maybe Auburn

B. Overall GPA ~ 3.4

C. Math/Sci GPA ~ 3.25

D. PCAT scores: just got my scores online from the june pcat:

Verbal: 431/89
Bio: 414/71
RC: 410/62
Quant: 410/59
Chem: 422/77

Comp: 417/76

i feel like this score is at the lower end of the competitive range but it is also comparable with the first time i took the pcat in october 2008, i got a 39 composite score.

E. Pharmacy Experience: I worked as a pharmacy tech for 4 years since 2004 at walgreens, obtained my CPhT in November 2006, renewed it till November 2010, and currently working at Tampa General Hospital in the Inpatient Pharmacy as a Tech-2 for the past year.

F. Date of App Submition: by the end of this month

G. # of LORs: 2, one from a pharmacist that i worked with at walgreens and one from my biochem professor.

H. non pharmacy volunteer: Volunteered with my church youth group for more than 100 hours, do various events such as metropolitan ministries, SHARE, and visiting senior centers.

I. Self-preception of interview skills: i think i can handle an interview, i may show signs of nervousness, but overall i can get the message across and express myself.

J. Personal Statement Quality: I am currently working on that right now, but i have been revising it numerous times into something unique, hopefully it is good enough.

Right now my main concern is my GPA and my PCAT scores, how do you guys think i will do? Thanks for all the help

I'm applying to all Texas and Oklahoma schools and this is what I have: 3.51 GPA, 3.11 science gpa, 58 pcat score, 5 years of pharmacy experience

Am I completely screwed or do I still have a chance at any school?

This post should go in the What are my chances (WAMC) stick thread at the top. And to be honest, you should probably retake your pcats to get a more competitive score.

3.11 science GPA is kinda low, 3.51 overall is good. 58 on the pcat might do, but I'd take it again and get it to 70. Your 5 years of pharm tech is very good. Just pull up your pcat and you'll be okay.

I'm applying to all Texas and Oklahoma schools and this is what I have: 3.51 GPA, 3.11 science gpa, 58 pcat score, 5 years of pharmacy experience

Am I completely screwed or do I still have a chance at any school?

Try TSU (Texas Southern University). I know at least 5 people who got in with scores in the fifty percentile range. I dont think you will find a lot of luck in the other schools due to your PCAT score. If you retake and get a 70 or more. You are definitely in the running.

I signed up for the August PCAT. The only book I have is Kaplan and I barely looked over it. Is that book useful? Any other books?

I'm surprised at my verbal and reading scores of 76 and 48 respectively, I guess I can't read.

I signed up for the August PCAT. The only book I have is Kaplan and I barely looked over it. Is that book useful? Any other books?

I'm surprised at my verbal and reading scores of 76 and 48 respectively, I guess I can't read.

Well, you read better than 48% of the people who took the test ;)

I used the Kaplan also, but other folks insist that the Pearson book(s) themselves are the best. TBH, your coursework should've prepared you to take the PCAT. Do you normally perform badly on standardized tests? Maybe it'd be worth it to find a Kaplan class that can eschew some of your test anxiety?

Unless you were just ill-prepared or had a brain malfunction, I don't see how you'll drastically improve your score. I don't mean that to sound as harsh as it probably does, but the PCAT is one of those tests where you either know the stuff or you don't.

However, now that you've seen it up close and personal you can tailor your study of the Kaplan book to the portions of the exam that you had the most trouble with.

Well, you read better than 48% of the people who took the test ;)

I used the Kaplan also, but other folks insist that the Pearson book(s) themselves are the best. TBH, your coursework should've prepared you to take the PCAT. Do you normally perform badly on standardized tests? Maybe it'd be worth it to find a Kaplan class that can eschew some of your test anxiety?

Unless you were just ill-prepared or had a brain malfunction, I don't see how you'll drastically improve your score. I don't mean that to sound as harsh as it probably does, but the PCAT is one of those tests where you either know the stuff or you don't.

However, now that you've seen it up close and personal you can tailor your study of the Kaplan book to the portions of the exam that you had the most trouble with.

I have trouble with timed tests because I rush myself too much by worrying about the time.

This might sound basic, but for the reading section read the questions first and then the passage. Most questions start with "On Paragraph 2 the author's........." so it's good to make marks next to the paragraphs where you will need to concentrate the most. This will save you brain power and TIME because you can just skim over the non essential parts. Plus by reading the questions first you know what to look, better utilizing that son of a B...TIME. I ended up with 5-10 minutes of free time to relax before the next section and scored a 90 something for reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.