THE WAMC thread (what are my chances?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so i got my scoresand its not a good score...now im trying to find out whats next to do...

verbal: 416/73--i thought i did good
Biology: 421/ 80--thought i did good too:(
Reading: 397/ 40 <<<<i feel stupid
Quant: 402/62<<< i knew i bombed it
Chemistry: 411/62--i thought it was okay
Composite: 409/62--my first time taking it! and its a big upset:(:mad:

I got a BS in 2007 and graduated with a 3.84 GPA! So much for feeling smart!

I guess im not meant to be a test taker cuz the MCAT kicked my butt twice and now the PCAT AND I ACTUALLY STUDIED FOR IT...so much for wasting the last 5 months.. sigghh is it even worth applying..i know i have to retake it but some schools dont even take january pcat!! sigghhh

Members don't see this ad.

so i got my scoresand its not a good score...now im trying to find out whats next to do...

I guess im not meant to be a test taker cuz the MCAT kicked my butt twice and now the PCAT AND I ACTUALLY STUDIED FOR IT...so much for wasting the last 5 months.. sigghh is it even worth applying..i know i have to retake it but some schools dont even take january pcat!! sigghhh

Well depending on what you have been doing with your life since you graduated with your BS, I could say if you have a shot or not. I hope you have already applied to the schools and they are simply waiting on the PCAT scores or am I reading it as you haven't even applied to any schools yet?

I say you probably have a shot because I applied ED at VCU and was granted an interview and attended the interview without them having my PCAT scores. They didn't get my scores until around 2 weeks after the interview. My GPA was around a full .2 different from yours. I have been working in R&D at a pharmaceutical research company since I graduated in May of 2007 with a BS in Biochem and I have no actual "in-pharmacy" experience.

I got a similar PCAT to yours and I was accepted regardless.

You still have hope!

ok. thanks. i have about 4 yrs of health care related experience and about 8 months of pharmacy (the mgmt side of it) experience. I have a BS in bio with a minor in chem..i dont know what happened on the pcat.....but anyways it is what it is..i havent applied yet bc i was waiting on my scores to determine which schools were going to get my money per se...i am applying to about 5 schools that dont req pcat.. and maybe 2-3 that do..im just debating if i wanna go thru the hassle of re-taking it and all the good stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, I have 3.11 UC-Transferable GPA right now (and International Student.)
(3.2 Overall)

I have completed General Chemistry with B and C.
(+ Introduction to Chemistry - B (isn't pre-req, I think))
I also took Introduction to Chemistry,
which is neither Pre-req or UC-transferable unit, I got B.
Biology in C (Cell & Molecular)
First Semester of O-chem - Either B or C (Possibly A as well)

Math - taking Pre-cal now
Physics - I haven't taken Calculus, so no.
A & P - Nope
Microbiology - Nope
College Level Writing English - A
Communication - A
Sociology ( I think it's pre-req) - A

Also, I am looking for to become a volunteer job related to pharmacy...

so... I still have chances even though I got bad grades on Gen. Chem and Bio?
(I am thinking about taking second semester of Gen. Chem during the summer as well)

Comments?

I live in California and will be transferring to UC Davis in Fall 2009.
(Since I will be applying for California Schools, I won't be taking PCAT unless I apply to other states.)

My only concern with California schools would be your sci/math GPA. With what I see, you have only a 2.5. Get that up with your overall GPA and you'll surely get in.

You've got a great GPA and some experience so you should at least be considered as a competitive appicant. I think you're too solid of a candidate to not be invited to interview. If you don't get in, this would be the area you could improve on.

I think you still have a very good chance as long as you make the rest of the classes nothing lower than a B and perhaps ensure that your grades are an upward trend towards your final year in college. Some experience would boost the application as well. I actually go to Davis too, awesome!

That's awesome! What's your major?

a. Nova Southeastern,Lecom Bradenton,Palm Beach Atlantic, Creighton,Touro Univeristy NY,Chicago State
b. 3.12 g.p.a
c. 2.8 science
d. 3.2 last 2 years
e. 75 reading
77 verbal
91 bio
90 quantitative
65 chem
comp 84
f. 3 months volunteering in hospital pharmacy. shadowed at a hospital.
Havent finshed my apps yet. On pace to get 4.0 this semester in phys, biochem and stats.

Also did cross country and track for 4 years and did over 1000 hrs of special olympics coaching in the past 8 years. Thanks.

Alright.....hello everyone I am sure you are all thinking about your futures and I guess so am I.

Verbal - 55
Bio - 88
Reading Com - 18 (Clueless):confused:
QA - 64
Chem - 72
Comp - 62

I have no idea what to do about the Reading Comp, I mean I read novels all the time.

2.93 Overall (BA Biochem)
3.25 PreParm GPA
3.04 Science GPA

Does anyone think I have a chance at any Texas School?
user_offline.gif

Texas schools are very competitive, similar to California schools. You should contact the schools you're interested in and/or check out their websites for average accepted student profiles. That will give you a better idea of your chances. Your grades are good, but you don't list extracurriculars or previous experience. If you don't have those, I would work on getting some of either. Good luck! :thumbup:

a. Nova Southeastern,Lecom Bradenton,Palm Beach Atlantic, Creighton,Touro Univeristy NY,Chicago State
b. 3.12 g.p.a
c. 2.8 science
d. 3.2 last 2 years
e. 75 reading
77 verbal
91 bio
90 quantitative
65 chem
comp 84
f. 3 months volunteering in hospital pharmacy. shadowed at a hospital.
Havent finshed my apps yet. On pace to get 4.0 this semester in phys, biochem and stats.

Also did cross country and track for 4 years and did over 1000 hrs of special olympics coaching in the past 8 years. Thanks.

You're a solid applicant. Good grades, good PCAT (Chem is okay), some experience and very cool volunteer work :). You should hear from one or two of them. :thumbup:

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a calculator to predict your chances at pharmacy schools. I know there is one for law school and med school. I want to figure out which schools are my targets/safeties and reaches. Thanks

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a calculator to predict your chances at pharmacy schools. I know there is one for law school and med school. I want to figure out which schools are my targets/safeties and reaches. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

No, there is not. I joked about having one in a post a while back. If there is one and I have just never heard of it, there is no way that it is accurate in any way. There is too much subjectivity involved from school to school. Just apply and find out for yourself.

am applying to pharm school for fall 09 But my pcat score was a disaster...i got well below 50th percentile:(....everything was around 60th percentile except my verbal:scared: No i am not an immigrant...l was born in nyc and currently live in mi...do you think i even have a chance of getting interview...i have 4.0 and my application is pretty impressive as far as extracurricular activities, volunteer work, etc...
This was my first time taking pcat...i am applying to several schools including univ. of illnois, wayne state, u of m, and others....

what should i do?? don't want to wait another year....help!!!

I'm sent my application in for the 2009 cycle at Wayne State ... and today I just got my PCAT score... and i must say,I'm devastated.

verbal - 36
bio - 71
reading - 52
math - 81
chem - 58
composite - 62

and as of now my GPA is around 3.5-6. Is there anybody who's applying (or AT wayne state pharm) right now??? Should i go for plan B??? I'm beyond devastated. this october PCAT was my last chance to get into 2009 cycle! I can't wait another year! especially im a canadian student..everything is so expensive.

It is hard to say. Even with 3.9 GPA, and 85 on the Pcat, there will be no guarantee for that person. Most pharmacy schools look at everything from academic performance to Volunteer hours, Pharmacy experiences, Lors. I suggest you just apply and see what happens. Plan B is possible for you to consider.

It is hard to say. Even with 3.9 GPA, and 85 on the Pcat, there will be no guarantee for that person. Most pharmacy schools look at everything from academic performance to Volunteer hours, Pharmacy experiences, Lors. I suggest you just apply and see what happens. Plan B is possible for you to consider.

LOL. Plan B is always a good option. :laugh:

I'm sent my application in for the 2009 cycle at Wayne State ... and today I just got my PCAT score... and i must say,I'm devastated.

verbal - 36
bio - 71
reading - 52
math - 81
chem - 58
composite - 62

and as of now my GPA is around 3.5-6. Is there anybody who's applying (or AT wayne state pharm) right now??? Should i go for plan B??? I'm beyond devastated. this october PCAT was my last chance to get into 2009 cycle! I can't wait another year! especially im a canadian student..everything is so expensive.

Avg GPA for Wayne State in 2008 was a 3.67 and the average PCAT score was in the upper 70th percentile. Also keep in mind that Wayne State is a rolling admissions school and the deadline to apply is December 1st. My advice to you is to just apply and hope for the best.

verbal - 36
bio - 71
reading - 52
math - 81
chem - 58
composite - 62

did you start wayne state as freshman?

A) University at Buffalo
MCPHS - Worecester
Temple University
Ferris State University
Rutegrs
St. John Fisher
University of Illinois at Chicago
Howard University

B) 3.58 GPA

C) science: 3.39
non-science: 3.91
math: 3.33(just one class, will get better after fall 08 grades)

D) Above GPAs are from last 2 years

E) Composite: 41 (oct 08, first time)
Retake in Jan 09

F) Worked in Pharmaceutical compnay for 3 months in summer, though not as pharm tech

G) will submit before dec 1.

H) 3. one from suprevisor, chem prof, another prof. all outstanding

I) just started volunteer in hospital last week

So whata re WAMC?

You have a solid GPA, both composite and science. I know UB uses rolling admissions, so it will be a challenge there, but otherwise, just improve on your PCATs (above 70th percentile) and you should do just fine :)

My stats are in my signature, this is my second cycle of application. Last year, i was rejected everywhere expect mcphs-boston who placed me on a waiting list but now i want to make sure i get accepted in all the places i applied to. I have taken PCAt 4-times and this is the highest i have gotten to which makes me really sad even though i av a BS in biochem. Although i'm hopeful, something tells me that i'm not all that favored with my repititive pcat failures. Pls buttress my situation and enlighten me on what to do, where to focus, my best chance and what to expect. Thanks for the inputs:xf:

Oct 08 Composite 419/79

Jan '08 Comp--64

OCt -07 comp--47
Jan 06 comp-23

Writing Scores
Conventions of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 3.0

My stats are in my signature, this is my second cycle of application. Last year, i was rejected everywhere expect mcphs-boston who placed me on a waiting list but now i want to make sure i get accepted in all the places i applied to. I have taken PCAt 4-times and this is the highest i have gotten to which makes me really sad even though i av a BS in biochem. Although i'm hopeful, something tells me that i'm not all that favored with my repititive pcat failures. Pls buttress my situation and enlighten me on what to do, where to focus, my best chance and what to expect. Thanks for the inputs:xf:

Oct 08 Composite 419/79

Jan '08 Comp--64
OCt -07 comp--47
Jan 06 comp-23

Writing Scores
Conventions of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 3.0

First of all, you are being too hard on yourself. You have come from a 23 composite all the way to a 79 composite. That is one hell of an improvement, congratulations. Your gpa is competitive as is your new pcat score and I see you have a few interviews as a result. I recommend you stop worrying and start preparing as much as you can for your interviews. Psych yourself up and go kick some ass in your interview and make this the last time you ever have to apply.

calisoca, thanks so much for the upbeat i will start the interview prep immediately.

yea,,, and unfortunately wayne does not accept january PCAT scores. I have one year of experience at a pharmacy..

i m in same boat...my score is not even 50th which is their minimum requirement...they dont take Jan scores....

a. Schools you are applying to--KU and UMKC

b. Overall GPA--3.89

c. Math/Science GPA--4.00

d. GPA in last one or two school years--3.89

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)--

Aug 08
Verbal 406 58%
Bio 405 56%
RC 394 35%
Quant 403 47%
Chemistry 414 67%
Composite 404 51%

Oct 08
Verbal- 393 35%
Bio- 435 91%
Reading- 384 21%
Quant- 413 64%
Chemistry- 425 80%
Composite 410 64%

3 and 3 on essays
f. Pharmacy experience obtained- Shadowing at nuclear pharmacy and volunteering at hospital last 6months...probably 70hrs

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs--average LOR's...one from director of pharmacy at hospital, microbio professor, and someone who really knows me that lead all of the volunteering i did the last couple of years
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience--about 200hrs through knights of columbus last couple years, in clubs and doing research for organic professor
j. Self-perception of interview skills--average but dont know
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality--pretty good writer

Im trying to figure out how i look because my app is good except for my verbal and RC on pcat...I dont know though. I am taking it again in january and will actually study so hopefully I can increase my scores even more but no guarantee with how many scores drop even if you study sometimes. Just wondering how I look to others because to me I dont look all that good with such a low pcat score. All my life I have struggled with RC and verbal.

Hello Everyone!!!

I am applying for University of Oklahoma Pharmacy School for the fall of 09.

Number of College Credits : 124
My GPA overall : 3.92
Science GPA: 3.89
PCAT score: 37 (Verb: 15, Read: 18, Math: 69, Chem 79, Bio: 55, Essay both 3)
I really have trouble with english section on PCAT. IF some one could tell me how to improve my PCAT score and what are my chances for this year, i would greatly appreciate it.

I have done over 300 hours of Volunteer work in a Pharmacy, I have also been employed by a Pharmacy with a Certified Pharmacy tech license for over3 years. I am in many Honor Roll societies, Been in Presidents Honor list 6 times and in Deans Honor roll list 4times. I am really worried. I know i can do Pharmacy School. I know that i am capable of becoming a pharmacist. But the only thing holding me back is my PCAT score. Please help me and let me know what my chances are for this year. I already applied to OUHSC. i have taken PCAT 4 times and that is my highest score. I have no idea why i do so poor in PCAT.

Please dont laught at my PCAT score....

October 08 - 29
June 08 - 37
August 07 - 19
October 06 - 13

- Dingolfi:confused:

Last edited:
When I read you have 3.92 GPA, I think you have a lot of chances. Untill I read your Pcat, I think you have less than 3% chances.

Hello Everyone!!!

I am applying for University of Oklahoma Pharmacy School for the fall of 09.

Number of College Credits : 124
My GPA overall : 3.92
Science GPA: 3.89
PCAT score: 37 (Verb: 15, Read: 18, Math: 69, Chem 79, Bio: 55, Essay both 3)
I really have trouble with english section on PCAT. IF some one could tell me how to improve my PCAT score and what are my chances for this year, i would greatly appreciate it.

I have done over 300 hours of Volunteer work in a Pharmacy, I have also been employed by a Pharmacy with a Certified Pharmacy tech license for over3 years. I am in many Honor Roll societies, Been in Presidents Honor list 6 times and in Deans Honor roll list 4times. I am really worried. I know i can do Pharmacy School. I know that i am capable of becoming a pharmacist. But the only thing holding me back is my PCAT score. Please help me and let me know what my chances are for this year. I already applied to OUHSC. i have taken PCAT 4 times and that is my highest score. I have no idea why i do so poor in PCAT.

Please dont laught at my PCAT score....

October 08 - 29
June 08 - 37
August 07 - 19
October 06 - 13

- Dingolfi:confused:

The thing is I really shake when I take standardized tests... i am not a good standardized test taker... help me please guys.... how can i improve my score???

Look on PharmCAS's website to find schools that do not consider the PCAT or schools that do not have a minimum percentile requirement. It seems your application is great other than the PCAT! I would try taking the test again...hopefully the experience of having taken the test already along with more preparation and studying will improve your composite score above 50, then I think you have a good shot.

How is it that you have nearly straight A's yet ~70% of the nation scores higher than you on the pcat? Easy school? Bad test taker? Either way you need to retake that test or your chances are virtually zero.

but look at my scores thouhg... it is english that pulls me down all the time... How can i improve my english scores???? I believe i speak english well, i don't think that i am that bad at writing either... if i can make 3 on both conv. and prob. solv. i think it is above avg right??? is there somehow i can convince them that i will be able to succeed in Pharmacy school.

but look at my scores thouhg... it is english that pulls me down all the time... How can i improve my english scores???? I believe i speak english well, i don't think that i am that bad at writing either... if i can make 3 on both conv. and prob. solv. i think it is above avg right??? is there somehow i can convince them that i will be able to succeed in Pharmacy school.

Gotta be upfront with you here: the only way they will be convinced is if you improve that score drastically. It's not just your English, your bio is in the gutter too. A 55 is far below average at any institution. Go on the pcat forum and ask there, you will probably get better advice. Good luck to you.

Gotta be upfront with you here: the only way they will be convinced is if you improve that score drastically. It's not just your English, your bio is in the gutter too. A 55 is far below average at any institution. Go on the pcat forum and ask there, you will probably get better advice. Good luck to you.

Ask Calisoca, she has a secret to score high on the pcat.

How is it that you have nearly straight A's yet ~70% of the nation scores higher than you on the pcat? Easy school? Bad test taker? Either way you need to retake that test or your chances are virtually zero.
5minutes, none of the posts you write ever make ANY sense.

well i have applied for the PCAT test on Jan. I have worked hard all my highschool and college years to get into Pharmacy school.. I hope PCAT won't hold me back too much... i hope i make a better score this time...

i did most of my pre-reqs at Northeastern State University. I really had to work hard to keep my GPA this high.... In NSU, we have out Biochem teacher Dr. Sue Woods, known as the toughest teacher in NSU. Our Biochem class started off with 50 students... by the end of the semester there were only 15 students in that class.. and only 3 made A in that class.. i am one among them... 2 others are my close friends.. but one is going or medical school and the other to optometry school... but everyone says if you can pass her class.. then you can pass Pharmacy school.. All through my college my greatest achievement would be her biochem, virology and Immunology Class.... all of them i made A.. the classes i made B was in Microbilogy, psychology, history, and Genetics. but i really have no clue why i can't do well in PCAT.. my favorite subject is Biochem... and i believe i know a lot of the material ... but why am i scoring so low on PCAT???

I really don't think that my College years were that easy... i had to work hard for it and my hard work paid off with a high GPA.

I really don't think my college years were that easy.. i had to work hard for it... please don't judge me by my PCAT score.. .

I recommend you to take Dr. Collin prepcourse. It is really good. Here is his website
http://www.pcatprepclass.com/

You do not have to attend the class, just purchase the package including all the subjects. I have heard many people at my area improved significantly.

i suggest doing practice PCAT tests. You have to KNOW the material, not just regurgitate it as you would on test day.

Status
Not open for further replies.