THE WAMC thread (what are my chances?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
angelfood, you're fine. I'd be extremely surprised if you don't get in. Solid application all around.

carboxide, your grades are good, but until you get your PCAT results, it's difficult to judge your application. Good luck in January.

kojo, if you already have a B.Pharm, you should look into an accelerated PharmD program offered by some schools. Also, since your degree is from Ghana, you should have it evaluated by an evaluation service so that schools in the US have a better idea of where you stand academically.

Members don't see this ad.

b. Overall GPA
2.76(i have a D in bio 2 and chem2,(rough semester family wise), but later A's and B's in orgo, physics, pathophys, biochem, anatomy(was a TA for this class as well)

c. Math/Science GPA
Not sure but i would say around 2.9-3.0

d. GPA in last one or two school years

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)

Oct 08
Verbal - 86%
bio- 76%
reading- 85%
math- 45%
chem- 53%
COMPOSITE- 74%
writing if it matters 3.0 conventions of language and problem solving

f. Pharmacy experience obtained
I took 3 professional year pharm course in college and got 2 B's and an A, also tech'd at CVS for a few months last year

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)

this month?

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
I can get at least 2 very solid LOR's from my Undergrad professors

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
none

j. Self-perception of interview skills
I have very good interview skills, not worried here.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
I can write a statement well

I graduated from Rutgers in 06 with a major in psych and minor in bio.

I ask you all please be honest and let me know if i have a chance and what schools i have the best chance at. I'd love to go to Rutgers pharmacy( i live on campus still) but i think i dont have the stats.

for any school i go to, will the 2 D's in prereq course kill any chance i have, if so, can i still apply and let the schools know i can take the 2 classes over again this spring?

schools im thinking of are

Florida A&M
Hawaii
Chicago state
U of New mexico
U of houston
Touro college of pharmacy
U of Kansas
and midwestern university

Do i have any chance?:(

burrito, I think your GPA may be too low, but you never know unless you try. Having the upward trend in grades is good, but it wasn't a big improvement honestly. I would suggest improving your PCAT if you don't get in this year. The rest of your app sounds strong. For those D's in pre-reqs, if the schools you are applying to require higher grades, you will have to retake them. Make sure you figure that out and let them know you plan to retake them next semester. I can't really comment if that will hurt you or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's up burrito!!!, ya got a way below average gpa and an average pcat. doesn't really balance out favorably man. I wouldn't say you don't have a chance, but you're borderline ****ed like chuck. Especially, having a grade below a "C" in any prereq is no bueno. Have you checked? I don't think any schools accept prereqs below a C, but I could be wrong.

Next, whats' up with all the public state schools your applying to? You need to axe those beasts and replace them with private schools. Will definitly increase your chances. Especially applying out-of-state to state schools...no bueno.

So overall
1. having less than a 3.0 --suckage
2. havind "d's" in prereqs---suckage
3.applying to mostly state schools--- major suckage
4.applying out of state to state schools--YOUR ****ED
5. your also applying late--suckage--apply early next cycle
6. raise your dang pcat

10 years ago you might have had a decent chance, but probably not today with the present amount of overacheiving mofo's. Just my opinion from what I see. Just be persistent and you will get in and if you don't get in APPLY EARLY next year. Also, don't let my honesty dicourage, people with your stats do get in. It's just more the exception than the rule. good luck

ffpickle, you're a solid applicant. especially having applied broadly. You could have applied sooner, but I think you can bet on an acceptance.

Hi! How do my chances look?

I've applied to 4 schools: Oregon State University, Pacific University and Washington State University and Touro University. Secondaries are done for OSU an PU but will finish WSU and TU next week.

I've received an interview at OSU on Jan 23. I applied quite late so am worried it will lower my chances of getting in.

My overall GPA : 3.60
Science: 3.48
Math: 3.70
Senior year: 3.96

I've applied to schools that don't require PCATs.

I've also volunteered at a dispensary for over a year (over 140 hours). Other Extracurricular activities include volunteer work at a temple (over 5 years).

My personal statement was read by an adviser as well as friends and family and they thought it was pretty good. I talked about my experiences in India specifically about what I've seen there in the pharmacy field and what I hope to accomplish as a pharmacist.

I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks:)

P.S. any suggestions for the coming up Interview ?

What's up burrito!!!, ya got a way below average gpa and an average pcat. doesn't really balance out favorably man. I wouldn't say you don't have a chance, but you're borderline ****ed like chuck. Especially, having a grade below a "C" in any prereq is no bueno. Have you checked? I don't think any schools accept prereqs below a C, but I could be wrong.

Next, whats' up with all the public state schools your applying to? You need to axe those beasts and replace them with private schools. Will definitly increase your chances. Especially applying out-of-state to state schools...no bueno.

So overall
1. having less than a 3.0 --suckage
2. havind "d's" in prereqs---suckage
3.applying to mostly state schools--- major suckage
4.applying out of state to state schools--YOUR ****ED
5. your also applying late--suckage--apply early next cycle
6. raise your dang pcat

10 years ago you might have had a decent chance, but probably not today with the present amount of overacheiving mofo's. Just my opinion from what I see. Just be persistent and you will get in and if you don't get in APPLY EARLY next year. Also, don't let my honesty dicourage, people with your stats do get in. It's just more the exception than the rule. good luck

What's wrong with state schools? Some of us don't have the leisure of being able to pack up and move anywhere, so what would those of us do? I have one state school and one private within driving distance, and that's therefore where I'm applying. What's wrong with UF? Should I not apply? Wouldn't applying to only one school be worse?

He's saying that state schools are very competitive, that's all, especially for out of state students. Some schools have a limit of out of state students they accept.

burrito, your grades meet the minimum for most programs, but you come across as a somewhat average applicant (no offense intended). It's good that you improved on your GPA later on. You will need to have minimum C's in all your pre-reqs to be accepted. Your PCATs are okay, but you need a better result then 45% in math & 53% in chem. I think UNM is your best chance. Applying this late in the process doesn't help that much. I was in the same boat as you GPAwise (2.62), but my PCATs were in all in the 90s, and I have years of experience as a retail & hospital tech. If you don't get in this year, I would suggest rewriting the PCAT, doing your research on programs that cater to your strengths and applying early! Good luck!

pharmvp, the schools that don't consider PCATs like good grades and other experiences. You should do fine.

a. Schools you are applying to
UTexas
UHouston
Tech
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
worked full time this last summer and worked a shift a week since then
December for a Feb deadline

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
3 LORS from employers. I feel confident that they will present me well.
Worked with nursing homes and homeless shelters.
I am quite sociable and will get a lot of help preparing. I feel confident in interviewing skills
Confident that the personal statement presents my qualities effectively

Thanks!

Washington state, california northstate, touro in cali, famu, texas southern, texas a&m kingsville, univ of houston, mcophs in worcester, chicago state, midwestern...maybe wingate
b. Overall GPA
3.84 --bachelor of science
c. Math/Science GPA
3.8 i believe..i only have 2B's
D. Complete PCAT scores
62:(
e. Pharmacy experience obtained:
I work as EA to ceo of pharm. company. i manage the drug warehouse.
f. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary):
Hopefully within the next week..everything is done..just waiting on the $$

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
g. Number of LORs and source of LORs:
1 from pharmacist, (my boss) 2 from professors

h. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience:

volunteer at hospital each summer from 04-05..participated in a preceptorship the summer of 04,05, and 06 at various hospitals. I did plenty of community service while i was in college each year!

i. Overall impression of personal statement quality
It is pretty darn good. I have had it edited by several people.

Washington state, california northstate, touro in cali, famu, texas southern, texas a&m kingsville, univ of houston, mcophs in worcester, chicago state, midwestern...maybe wingate
b. Overall GPA
3.84 --bachelor of science
c. Math/Science GPA
3.8 i believe..i only have 2B's
D. Complete PCAT scores
62:(
e. Pharmacy experience obtained:
I work as EA to ceo of pharm. company. i manage the drug warehouse.
f. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary):
Hopefully within the next week..everything is done..just waiting on the $$

g. Number of LORs and source of LORs:
1 from pharmacist, (my boss) 2 from professors

h. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience:

volunteer at hospital each summer from 04-05..participated in a preceptorship the summer of 04,05, and 06 at various hospitals. I did plenty of community service while i was in college each year!

i. Overall impression of personal statement quality
It is pretty darn good. I have had it edited by several people.

Overall, very impressive.:) I would definitely retake the pcat if your schools will accept the January scores. Also, it might be a little more difficult getting into a school if they operate on rolling admission since you are applying kind of late. ..But then again you do have a very nice resume. Good luck!~

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone. My name is Austin and I am from Southern Illinois.

The reason I am writing is because I have a feeling that my final grades in a couple classes are going to be really bad this semester, which is my first semester in college. By bad I mean D or lower.

The reason for this is because I started off very slow. I did not watch my grades until the past month or so. Since then I have brought my grades up but it has not been enough to pull out of the hole I am in.

Now I know I should retake all of those classes (and I plan too), however, will schools I apply pay attention to those red flags? I know the PCAT also affects my chances and I do plan on studying for it (I am planning on buying PCAT destroyer and a couple other guides within a few weeks).

So has this semester ruined my chances?

On a side note, I had the same problem my junior year in H.S. My senior year I turned that around completely with nearly all A's (one B).

I would'nt worry toooo much. Everyone screws up in their first semester. Just make sure you do well in your next classes and in your retakes. Show an upward trend, a great PCAT score, pharmacy experience, extracurricular, etc. are taken into account by the admissions committees. You can make up this semester in the other areas. Good luck.

You not only have a decent chance, you have a great chance...as long as you buckle down and improve your grades. You have not even finished one semester of college, so you still have plenty of time to show improvement. This semester will always have an affect on your GPA, but that is only one part of an overall package that admissions comittees look at. Even with one bad semester you can still have a good GPA...the only thing now is you have less room for error. Heck, I am sure I have at least 1 semester worth of bad classes on my record and I am accepted somewhere.

I would'nt worry toooo much. Everyone screws up in their first semester. Just make sure you do well in your next classes and in your retakes. Show an upward trend, a great PCAT score, pharmacy experience, extracurricular, etc. are taken into account by the admissions committees. You can make up this semester in the other areas. Good luck.

I agree. It is only your fist semester in college. You have to get accustomed to the college life. Just take those classes over again and learn from your mistakes.

Thanks guys for the quick feedback. As far as Pharmacy experience goes, there are a few places I could probably get a job/volunteer around here. My mothers cousin owns the closest one to me so that may give me an opportunity.

I am scared to find out my fate after applying to a few 0-6 schools as well as a 3+4.

St. Thomas (Pre-Pharm) was accepted with 5500/year
St. Johns (0-6 Pharm)
St. Peters (3+4 Pharm)
USP (0-6 Pharm)
Drexel (Would just take the Pre-reqs for Pharm)
Rutgers (0-6 Pharm)
Montclair St. (Pre-Pharm)

GPA: (3.2-3.3) Curriculum talked about below.
ACT: Composite 26
Math: 29
English: 26
Reading: 23
Science: 25
Volunteering: 50+ hours

I go to a school where my class (grade size) is only 48 kids and it is a premier school that is taught on the toughest possible curriculum. I believe that should be looked upon by schools considering the rigor of my curriculum compared to other schools. My school is basically a science oriented school that only allows about 50 kids per year out of the entire county (10+ High Schools) so it is a pretty small amount. Upon graduation I will have over double the required science, math and language classes needed to graduate. I have already taken, Marine Biology, Biology, Chemistry, Geophysical Sciences, Physics, and this upcoming year will be taking Oceanography, Environmental Sciences (college course). ( I do not pick my classes, they are mainly based on the environment though.) I also will have taken 1 year of french and 3 years of spanish throughout high school along with Geometry, Algebra I + II, Pre-Calc, Pre-Calc II and Calculus I. To maintain a mid-level GPA with all academic classes is pretty tough and I hope most colleges realize upon decisions. I also have a fair amount of volunteer services with 50+ hours of tutoring, and various events. I am also a certified scuba diver and take part in some sports.

How do you guys think I stand with:

Rutgers

USP

St. Johns

St. Peters (3+4 Rutgers)

Thank you for any insight.

Just out of curiousity, were you studying hard your first semester and taking it seriously?

To be honest sheriff, I was not studying as I should have. Instead of reading the book, I'd put it off until a few days before the test. However, I have recently changed my study habits. I changed them too late though.

Last edited:
You sound like me my freshman year. I would open the book the night before and think I was somehow going to pull it off. That never works. Study everyday for a few hours, make sure you actually UNDERSTAND something before you move on to the next topic. There is a huge difference between studying to memorize and studying to learn. Good luck.

Hi all,

I've been reading the forums a bit and I just needed some advice. I wanted to get everything ready for my application for the 2010 enrollment. Yea I know it's crazy-early, but I'm paranoid. However, I just don't know if any pharmacy schools would even take me seriously. I have some concerns!

1. 2.76 gpa (However, I have a B.S. in Biology and in Chemistry)
2. Embarrassing transcript. (W's! and some bad grades. However, I was Dean's list one semester - (all senior level science courses) and honor roll another semester (all science courses).) I know it's no excuse, but putting yourself through school really sucks! Most of the time I had to withdraw because my boss would change my shifts. :[ When I did make dean's list, it was because I wasn't working. I had all the time to study - I loved it!

I am planning on taking the pharmacy tech certification in Jan. so I can get some real-world experience. I am also planning on taking the PCAT sometime next year. (I'm shooting for 90%). I have also been working for 8 yrs as a quality control scientist at a pharmaceutical company. Yea, the job sounds nice but it doesn't pay well in South Texas. Also I really believe that becoming a pharmacist is the next logical step for my career... maybe a move into regulatory and government work!

Is there any hope!? I'm really going to try to give it a shot! Also, since I've been out of school for a bit, what do you guys recommend for people that I should use for LORs? My employer? I was hoping that if I pick up the second job as a pharm tech, I could possibly get a LOR this way. Who knows. Thanks for all your suggestions!

Last edited:
USP SAT minimum is 1140 for PharmD with last year's 50th percentile close to 1250, I believe. Not sure of the average GPA but I want to say 3.5. You might get some love, but its going to be tough.

So far I've submitted my pharmcas app to these schools:
Midwestern - Glendale
U of Colorado
UIC
Midwestern - Downers Grove
Wayne State
U of MI
U of Washington

Planning to submit to these schools on 11/11:
Touro - CA
U of Fl

I'm considering submitting to these schools within the next 2 weeks:
Chicago State
Wingate
more private schools?? (PBA, Nova, etc.)

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA
not sure

Oct. 07
Verbal Ability 90
Biology 78
Reading 56
Quantitative 8
Chemistry 53
Cmposite 61 :rolleyes: (adjusted Pearson score unknown)

Jan. 08
Verbal Ability 99
Bology 69
Reading 53
Qantitative 61
Chemistry 82
Cmposite 90:love: (adjusted Pearson score unknown :mad:)

I've been working as pharmacy tech for 9 months.

I submitted on 11/30 for schools with 12/1 deadlines. I'm staggering the rest. Hopefully my last submission will be on 12/18 (or earlier).

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs - 3
pharmacy manager
staff pharmacist
physics professor

Yes, I worked during undergrad, and after graduation I was a regular working stiff for a bit. I was also a research intern during undergrad.

I leave a good overall impression.

I thought it was good and so did the 3 others who read it. But, none of us are adcoms.

l. Other pertinent information
Bachelors degree

I was really excited about my application this year because of my improvement on the PCAT because I know my gpa is hohum. So I was really knocked off my chair when I learned that my score had changed. So where do I stand now? Do I need to submit to more private schools?

Last edited:

So far I've submitted my pharmcas app to these schools:
Midwestern - Glendale
U of Colorado
UIC
Midwestern - Downers Grove
Wayne State
U of MI
U of Washington

Planning to submit to these schools on 11/11:
Touro - CA
U of Fl

I'm considering submitting to these schools within the next 2 weeks:
Chicago State
Wingate
more private schools?? (PBA, Nova, etc.)

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA
not sure

Oct. 07
Verbal Ability 90
Biology 78
Reading 56
Quantitative 8
Chemistry 53
Cmposite 61 :rolleyes: (adjusted Pearson score unknown)

Jan. 08
Verbal Ability 99
Bology 69
Reading 53
Qantitative 61
Chemistry 82
Cmposite 90:love: (adjusted Pearson score unknown :mad:)

I've been working as pharmacy tech for 9 months.

I submitted on 11/30 for schools with 12/1 deadlines. I'm staggering the rest. Hopefully my last submission will be on 12/18 (or earlier).

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs - 3
pharmacy manager
staff pharmacist
physics professor

Yes, I worked during undergrad, and after graduation I was a regular working stiff for a bit. I was also a research intern during undergrad.

I leave a good overall impression.

I thought it was good and so did the 3 others who read it. But, none of us are adcoms.

l. Other pertinent information
Bachelors degree

I was really excited about my application this year because of my improvement on the PCAT because I know my gpa is hohum. So I was really knocked off my chair when I learned that my score had changed. So where do I stand now? Do I need to submit to more private schools?

what is adjusted pearson score unknown???

what is adjusted pearson score unknown???

Pearson has recentered PCAT scores that were taken before June 2008 without any notification to these test takers. Their explanation is that scores from before June 2008 were based on a previous norm group and now they're going to be compared to a new norm group. So everyone's percentage scores have decreased an unknown amount.

Hello, first time poster here. I've been lurking here for a few weeks now and I have to say what great information and advice this site has. Thanks to all that can help.

Keep in mind that I am a high school student.

a. Schools you are applying to:

• Massachusetts College of Pharmacy
  • Northeastern University
  • Duquesne University
  • University of Rhode Island
All other schools are safety/pre-req schools just in case I don't get into any of the 0-6 programs.

b. Overall GPA:
Unweighted - 3.25 (>_>)
Weighted - 3.8

c. Standardized tests:
SAT I:
Math - 700
Verbal - 630
Writing - 610

Overall - 1940
V + M - 1330

SAT II:
Chemistry - 650 (I'm not going to bother sending this in)

d. Pharmacy experience obtained:
I've currently working in a retail pharmacy (OSCO) for approximately 8 hours a week as a technician. I've been doing this for the past two or so months.

e. Number of LORs and source of LORs:
Three LORs. One from my junior chemistry teacher, another from my guidance counselor, and the last is from one of the pharmacists I work with. I might possibly be getting a LOR from my calculus teacher if the need arises.

f. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience:

• Cashier at Shaw's Supermarket (approximately 10 hours a week)
  • I have occasional volunteer experience. However, they were more like random tasks that really didn't accumulate into anything. For instance, I did 16 hours of volunteering at a soup kitchen and 6 helping my church, etc..
g. Miscellaneous:
Both my parents are pharmacists and are alumni of MCP. In addition, both my grandfathers are pharmacists. One is a contributing alumni to Duquesne and the other an alumni to New England College of Pharmacy (I guess I melded into Northeastern :confused:). So, yes I can say that this idea of doing career in pharmacy is a kind of legacy thing.

Thanks to all that help. Sending out applications was rather stressful and I'm sure if anyone can answer my question of whether or not I will get in it will take a huge weight off my shoulders.

Hard to tell if you have hope. Depends on how you do on PCATs, where you apply, when you apply, what your GPA is year by year, if you retook classes, etc. Lots of intangibles that need to be sorted. Check out the WAMC thread for potential competitors, and read up on average student profiles from your schools.

I'd say you have a pretty good shot at USP.:thumbup:

You will be surprised what schools are looking for. I have mediocre grades. The schools with the highest average gpa/pcat offered me interviews while ones with lower averages have not even sent me anything.

Just improve other parts of your application. Additional volunteer hours and extracurricular.

USP SAT minimum is 1140 for PharmD with last year's 50th percentile close to 1250, I believe. Not sure of the average GPA but I want to say 3.5. You might get some love, but its going to be tough.

Yea a 26 I believe is around 1190-1200.

Is USP the easiest on this list or if this just from knowledge of USP?

cuedee, your stats are solid. sure you could add a couple private schools as a backup, but I think you're fine with the number and quality of the schools you chose. nice improvement on the pcat!

makinit09, smart move applying to non-pcat schools although you should have a fair chance at regular pcat schools also.

bear715, you could always add another Texas school just to be safe, but you look pretty competitive to me. nothing to worry about.

I think all three of you should expect invites. GOOD LUCK

Why don't you cruise on over and post in the WAMCs thread - it was made for just this purpose... You can find it stickied at the top of the Pre-pharmacy forum.

~above~

Yea a 26 I believe is around 1190-1200.

Is USP the easiest on this list or if this just from knowledge of USP?
It is around that, but your GPA is low. I worked in the Admissions office (work study) but didn't have any say in decisions. Its worth a shot but your HS GPA is low.

Rutger's is more difficult to get into than USP...we like to say its harder to stay in USP though ;).

Of course, I'm not making any statements for the admissions department, this is just what I believe.

If you have any questions about the school you can PM me.

Hi all,

I've been reading the forums a bit and I just needed some advice. I wanted to get everything ready for my application for the 2010 enrollment. Yea I know it's crazy-early, but I'm paranoid. However, I just don't know if any pharmacy schools would even take me seriously. I have some concerns!

2. Embarrassing transcript. (W's! and some bad grades. However, I was Dean's list one semester - (all senior level science courses) and honor roll another semester (all science courses).) I know it's no excuse, but putting yourself through school really sucks! Most of the time I had to withdraw because my boss would change my shifts. :[ When I did make dean's list, it was because I wasn't working. I had all the time to study - I loved it!

I am planning on taking the pharmacy tech certification in Jan. so I can get some real-world experience. I am also planning on taking the PCAT sometime next year. (I'm shooting for 90%). I have also been working for 8 yrs as a quality control scientist at a pharmaceutical company. Yea, the job sounds nice but it doesn't pay well in South Texas. Also I really believe that becoming a pharmacist is the next logical step for my career... maybe a move into regulatory and government work!

Is there any hope!? I'm really going to try to give it a shot! Also, since I've been out of school for a bit, what do you guys recommend for people that I should use for LORs? My employer? I was hoping that if I pick up the second job as a pharm tech, I could possibly get a LOR this way. Who knows. Thanks for all your suggestions!

if you care about where you go, it might matter, but if you open to go anywhere for pharmacy school, you have a chance somewhere. people have gotten in with that gpa

Hi all,

I think the best thing is that you are starting early! My GPA isn't that competitive, but I've gotten interviews! You definitely have an advantage over other applicants by having so much experience. Make sure you include all of that information that you posted in your personal statement. Also, get some volunteer work in and make sure you do really, really well on the PCAT. Lastly, apply early! PharmCAS becomes available June 2nd I believe, start right away and submit as soon as you can. Make sure to ask for letters of recommendation a couple months in advance because sometimes it takes forever for the recommendors to finish their letters.
Good luck!!!

Hi. New guy here. My case is a bit different than your average candidate, so please let me give you a background first. Sorry, I know it's long. :oops:

I'm 35, have a B.A in Psychology with almost enough credits for a major in Biology. Always wanted to be in the health field but I started college at 17 and had some horrible semesters the first 3 years (partly due to work, partly due to my own immaturity). I failed General Chem II twice during 1990-92, got a D in Calculus II, had some W's and so on!

Then I finally came to my own and did great in 3 straight years of advanced and graduate level science courses. I had A's in courses like Genetics, Anatomy & Physiology, and Endocrinology, and ended up with a cumulative science GPA of around 3.1.

I also had a GPA of 3.4 for the final 3 years (again, mostly upper level science courses).

By the time I stopped taking courses in May of 99, I had 120 credits, almost enough to have 2 degrees. My overall GPA was 2.9, the only reason it wasn't higher was due to those horrible semesters from 90-93.

Now, I was pushed by my family to go to dental school. I was ambivalent about it and had no real experience with it, but I applied and did great on the DAT and got into dental school but learned the hard way that I had no interest in it. I did ok my first year with the general sciences, then the second year when the core dental courses started I failed two subjects and had to repeat the year. I should have left then but I figured I was 2 years away from the degree and stuck with it.

I did well the second time, even getting an A in the 2 courses I had failed, but during the clinical phase of the third year, I became convinced I had no motivation for the profession. It just wasn't for me. I tried to get by just to get the degree, but I failed a course due to poor attendance and was subsequently dismissed.

That was 5 years ago. I've been working in business since then, but have always felt I sold myself short. I've always wanted to be in the health field, just not dentistry. Since I enjoyed Pharmacology in dental school, I've been researching Pharmacy for the past year and have shadowed a local pharmacist in my off time. I want to do this and know that I can do it.

My only question is, do I have a realistic chance? I've registered to start taking the pre-reqs over again in the spring, since my undergrad science courses go back to the mid-late 90's and even the courses I took in dental school go back to 6 years ago.

I know I can easily get a 3.5 GPA in about 35 credits over the Spring, Summer and Fall, and get a 90 PCAT.

I can get an LOR from a great science professor in dental school, and should be able to get one from the pharmacist and also from the new instructors.

I also do well in interviews and generally come across as mature and articulate.

Can someone please tell me if these would be good enough for admission, given my history? I have good and bad marks in my record but they all go back to years ago. How likely are the schools to focus on my new stats and not hold the past against me?...Should I even bother trying?

I'd greatly appreciate your insights.

Are my hopes too high?

University of Illinois at Chicago
Purdue
Midwestern Downers Grove
SUNY Buffalo
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
Verbal 86
Biology 88
Reading 69
Quant 78
Chemistry 94
Composite 90
+100 hrs of volunteering at hospital pharamcy
December
Two, one from a professor and one from a pharmacist
Being an international student, can't find any job.
Volunteering at student organization, and from church
average?
Accidentally submitted unfinished draft of Pharmcas PS with a few grammatical errors:scared: otherwise I think it's decent

Calisoca, I realize that it doesn't work now. I just wish that I would have figured that out a lot sooner.

I agree with all that replied. It isn't too late to bring up that GPA.

I would only add that at this point why buy the PCAT books and study guides? If this is your first semester of college material, you still have way too much to learn for alot of that stuff to make sense. For now, I would advise to not worry about buying that and starting to study for the PCAT yet, and just start focusing on your classwork by making sure you study hard and improve your GPA starting next semester.

I didn't actually figure it was too late to fix my GPA. I am just worried that when the schools I plan to apply to see those grades, a huge red flag will go up.

Don't worry I ended up getting a "C" in Chemistry this semester. It's your first semester in college and everyone knows it is the lowest semester GPA wise.

Just sit down and study for a few days before class next semester. :scared:

Bono2, I don't foresee a major problem, but you are going to have to do an excellent job of reassuring the schools that you are serious about practicing pharmacy and that you are able to excell in the program. Getting above 90 on the pcat wouldn't hurt either.

You got some loans to pay off, huh?

Bono2, I don't foresee a major problem, but you are going to have to do an excellent job of reassuring the schools that you are serious about practicing pharmacy and that you are able to excell in the program. Getting above 90 on the pcat wouldn't hurt either.
Thanks. I should be able to do that. I know I have the ability and the motivation.

You got some loans to pay off, huh?
You bet. And I'll have even more if this works out!:)

Bono, you can pretty much wipe out any consideration for grades older than 10 years. The fact that you tanked your first year (or years) shouldn't really affect your application since it was ages ago. I think your biggest obstacle will be explaining to the adcoms why pharmacy over dentistry. If you can sell them on that, you should be fine.

fantizistar, other than the grammatical errors on your essay, you're a good candidate. Some schools will notice, other's won't. You should be fine.

with a 2.75 GPA. The reason I ask is that I attempted 3 times at a local pharmacy school and was unsuccessful. My pharmacy GPA at that time was close to a 3.4. I then changed to nursing and graduated last year with a 2.749 with a Bachelors of Science in Nursing. I was wondering would my degree, experience, and LOR from the Head of Pharmacy at this hospital help any. I know it is probably a long shot or not even a shot at all. I havent taken the PCAT and I plan to but just looking at the minimal schools that dont require the PCAT right now.

With a low gpa, you're going to need an extremely high PCAT score to show schools how competent you are with Pre-pharm subjects. GL!

Whats the possibility of getting in a school that doesnt require the PCAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.