The Why ___ Essay for MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zqx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a quick question regarding the Why ___ secondary essay at many schools. Cornell, for example, includes a 200-word statement asking why an applicant is applying there. Would it be appropriate to talk about my reasons in the context of the Tri-institutional MD/PhD program or should I focus mainly on the clinical side of things about Weill specifically? I was planning on doing more of the former but was not sure if there may be people from Cornell's MD admissions office reading it who may not understand why I am talking about the PhD offerings.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't comment for Tri-I specifically but only in general.

MD adcoms know you're applying for MD/PhD. An answer tailored towards the MD/PhD program is thus acceptable. Highlight the areas of research that program is strong in and how they mesh with your interests/experience in addition to any location preference factors.

I had a quick question regarding the Why ___ secondary essay at many schools. Cornell, for example, includes a 200-word statement asking why an applicant is applying there. Would it be appropriate to talk about my reasons in the context of the Tri-institutional MD/PhD program or should I focus mainly on the clinical side of things about Weill specifically? I was planning on doing more of the former but was not sure if there may be people from Cornell's MD admissions office reading it who may not understand why I am talking about the PhD offerings.

I had the same question about Cornell's secondary, so I called Tri-I to ask for their input. They told me that the MD-PhD committee only looks at the AMCAS primary. The secondary will only be used by the medical school in the event that you don't get an MD-PhD interview, and you indicated that you want to be considered MD-only.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it generally frowned upon to "name names" in these sorts of essays? i haven't been dropping names because someone told me that was true but I am wondering how else schools will know that I have literally gone through ever faculty member at ever school to which I am applying to be sure that there are folks I am ecstatic about discussing work with....

What is the consensus here?

Is it generally frowned upon to "name names" in these sorts of essays? i haven't been dropping names because someone told me that was true but I am wondering how else schools will know that I have literally gone through ever faculty member at ever school to which I am applying to be sure that there are folks I am ecstatic about discussing work with....

What is the consensus here?

When I spoke to Yale, an administrator mentioned explicitly to name faculty I'd be interested in working with on the secondary.

Highlight the areas of research that program is strong in and how they mesh with your interests/experience in addition to any location preference factors.

So is it okay to mention location preferences with adcoms? I figured that they wouldn't consider this a good or reason to choose a school, but tbh it makes a pretty big difference to me, given that this is where I'm going to spend the bulk of my 20s.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this. Ad coms want to know that you're a good fit for the program in all respects. If you make it clear that you would be particularly happy in a certain region, they'll take that into account.