The worst case scenario!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oblongataforreal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok it can't get worse than this! MCAT 27 with 6 verbal, GPA 3.65. Submitted the application to 9 schools like Howard and others on the same level one day before their deadline. I was planning to retake the MCAT but for some reasons I couldn't. So I decided to give it a shot and see what comes out of it. My transcripts and evaluation letters are already submitted and received by AMCAS. I volunteered in a fire station for two years, did some research and have some publications. I know it's not the smartest move I could make but I had some challenges in my life that left me with no other choice. I don't think I get accepted in any of these school but we will see what happens. What do you guys think? Would you have any hope in this situation?
I will definitely let you know what the result will be.

Members don't see this ad.

I question why you would apply so late in the cycle ESPECIALLY as a weaker candidate for med school. You've hurt your already low chances not only this cycle, but for next cycle as well because you will be a reapplicant. This was a very poor decision. I don't think you will see any acceptances even if you are URM. (And you should be either URM if you are applying to Howard or your extracurriculars should support some reason that you are applying there specifically. They hate seeing people apply there just because their MCAT average is low.)

If you simply waited till next year, got a stronger MCAT score and applied early and broadly, I could see you even getting into mid tier med schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I question why you would apply so late in the cycle ESPECIALLY as a weaker candidate for med school. You've hurt your already low chances not only this cycle, but for next cycle as well because you will be a reapplicant. This was a very poor decision. I don't think you will see any acceptances even if you are URM. (And you should be either URM if you are applying to Howard or your extracurriculars should support some reason that you are applying there specifically. They hate seeing people apply there just because their MCAT average is low.)

If you simply waited till next year, got a stronger MCAT score and applied early and broadly, I could see you even getting into mid tier med schools.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I won't reapply if my MCAT score doesn't improve significantly nor gonna pick any of the schools I've already applied for. So we will see how it will be. :)

Look what happened happened, can't change the past. Maybe things will work out, maybe they won't. If they don't give it another shot.

Look what happened happened, can't change the past. Maybe things will work out, maybe they won't. If they don't give it another shot.

That sounds great on paper. However, applying to even 9 medical schools can be quite expensive. Without a decent chance of getting in, I wouldn't recommend someone spend the money on applying unless they can easily afford the potential loss.

Reactions: 1 user
That's right. The cost of applications is the last thing that I'm concerned about.
Moving on... Out of these 9 school, I've have received 8 secondary application which means nothing yet.
Oh by the way, AAMC recalculated my GPA and now my total GPA is 3.85, science 3.77, and others 3.9. They have excluded all the courses I took out of US. I got "passed" for those. Let's see if I get any interview. I'm not very optimistic about this tho.

I received secondary application from every 9 schools that I applied for. Let's see if I get any interview at all.
Would be happy for you if you got an interview or two. You never know. Keep us updated. Did you apply to any DO schools? Their cycle is longer and you'd likely have better chances there if you're interested.

Sometimes I wonder if Harvard or Howard gets more applicants?

OP, I think there's a chance you'll be alright, and especially if you fit their mission statement, fall into the right categories, are assertive and very likable. I wish you would retake the MCAT after some VR tutoring, but that doesn't sound like it's on option for you.

I hope you get in. Good luck!