therapy heavy entry level job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ikibah

MSW student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I graduate in May and have been taking the liberty of looking up potential lgsw jobs in my area. In my Internship I'm currently working in a hospital setting and I can't stand it! The amount documentation and discharging and intakes and collaberation with the different doctors etc. etc. is not for me! I need a job where my main focus is therapy. Obviously documentation is necessary but I'm looking for minimal.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I can tell, the best prospects (at least in my area) are community mental health centers. I'm interviewing for a home-based team position in a couple weeks which is entirely therapy-oriented as I'd be working on a treatment team along side a LBSW caseworker. I'm sure that varies agency to agency - regardless, community mental health seems like a solid choice to get that experience and supervision.

Honestly, based on what you've said, private practice may be your best bet. Healthcare is (ideally and theoretically) moving towards greater cross-discipline communication and integration, which means that just about any hospital is going to include a good bit of collaboration, EMR documentation/reading, and involvement in discharges and intakes (although this would be lessened in a clinic that's entirely outpatient).

The other option might be a smaller outpatient mental health clinic.

Although I'd still make the argument that collaboration with all of your patients' providers, when possible, is in their best interests. As is clear and concise documentation.

There are a lot of diverse options for social workers including health clinics, community mental health services and even some charities need social workers. You can even specialize for example in hospice care. The education setting may also be an option. In this case you might need to collaborate with teachers - but you'd have to give advice to them. I think you're right, hospitals will probably be the heaviest in documenting and speaking with others besides your patients. Are you interested in any specific areas? Best of luck!