Theriogenology specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You just said you thought they would require boarded vets above. I don't think they will. Nor do I think a full time vet is necessarily of any more benefit than a part time vet. Most PT vets for zoos I know would still drop everything and go to the zoo in emergencies. The thing about emergencies is that they happen at all hours. And full time vets don't necessarily work nights. In addition, there are many zoos that have Boarded part time vets and various agreements with vet schools and the like. I don't think the AZA would dare jeopardize that. It puts the education of future vets at risk.

Honestly, I don't see it changing that way because it will alienate vets in the community and punishes small zoos that can't afford boarded zoo vets. This is just my opinion, but it's based on my experience in the zoo field and my networking with zoo vets.
I said the area as a whole is preferring boarded vets, but that I thought the requirement would be changed to requiring a full-time veterinary staff. Not necessarily boarded vets. The AZA does require that the animals have access to 24 hour emergency care. Do you know if the PT/contracted vets you know are the ones obligated to provide that emergency care? It's likely a requirement of them, not just dedication. It's not like the local 24-hour center is equipped to provide emergency care to an elephant.

And yes, emergencies can occur any time. Every zoo has a veterinarian on call if they have full-time staff. It's to meet that requirement, and it's part of the job. Some zoos even require their techs to be on call as well. I don't know of any zoos that have a dedicated 'night team' of vets/techs, although it would be totally helpful to us worried about our career options if they did...although unnecessary.

Members don't see this ad.

I said the area as a whole is preferring boarded vets, but that I thought the requirement would be changed to requiring a full-time veterinary staff. Not necessarily boarded vets. The AZA does require that the animals have access to 24 hour emergency care. Do you know if the PT/contracted vets you know are the ones obligated to provide that emergency care? It's likely a requirement of them, not just dedication. It's not like the local 24-hour center is equipped to provide emergency care to an elephant.

And yes, emergencies can occur any time. Every zoo has a veterinarian on call if they have full-time staff. It's to meet that requirement, and it's part of the job. Some zoos even require their techs to be on call as well. I don't know of any zoos that have a dedicated 'night team' of vets/techs, although it would be totally helpful to us worried about our career options if they did...although unnecessary.
yes, I understand that. But that's part of why I would be surprised if they changed the requirements....

yes, I understand that. But that's part of why I would be surprised if they changed the requirements....
I suppose it would depend on what the PT/contract vet does with the rest of his/her time. Which is why I'm curious as to how/if they demand the vet to have the zoo as a 24-hour priority if the doctor is in practice elsewhere to make ends meet.

Again, the rumors are just that-rumors. From the conversations I've had personally, it seems like that requirement is debated often (and your points are certainly valid and brought up often). The other side is wanting zoos to appear as ideal environments for these animals, but it seems like that's too focused on public image and not actually animal care. I think there is a lot of pressure from the conservation side of things, as it's common knowledge that the captive populations of certain animals are the only ones that exist now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose it would depend on what the PT/contract vet does with the rest of his/her time. Which is why I'm curious as to how/if they demand the vet to have the zoo as a 24-hour priority if the doctor is in practice elsewhere to make ends meet.

Again, the rumors are just that-rumors. From the conversations I've had personally, it seems like that requirement is debated often (and your points are certainly valid and brought up often). The other side is wanting zoos to appear as ideal environments for these animals, but it seems like that's too focused on public image and not actually animal care. I think there is a lot of pressure from the conservation side of things, as it's common knowledge that the captive populations of certain animals are the only ones that exist now.
Usually those zoos have other vets that they can call for emergencies, as well.

I don't think requiring FT zoo vets is feasible for zoos. So then what? lose AZA status. Ok, so what does the public perceive? Not much to be honest. I think it jeopardizes patient care and the ability of smaller zoos to provide adequate veterinary services.

Usually those zoos have other vets that they can call for emergencies, as well.

I don't think requiring FT zoo vets is feasible for zoos. So then what? lose AZA status. Ok, so what does the public perceive? Not much to be honest. I think it jeopardizes patient care and the ability of smaller zoos to provide adequate veterinary services.
You're not wrong. I'm not arguing either point, to be clear. I'm just saying I personally wouldn't be surprised it that requirement is altered since it is always being debated.

There are only so many vets who are qualified to work with these types of animals. How can a zoo have that many emergency options locally if those vets aren't already with the zoo? It just sounds strange to me. I suppose equine vets or farm animal vets could assist to some degree, but it would depend on the animal in need. What vets are on-call for a zoo that only has a one contracted veterinarian, other than the veterinarian who is experienced with zoo animals? I'm assuming that the area only has that one experienced veterinarian for the sake of this question.

You're not wrong. I'm not arguing either point, to be clear. I'm just saying I personally wouldn't be surprised it that requirement is altered since it is always being debated.

There are only so many vets who are qualified to work with these types of animals. How can a zoo have that many emergency options locally if those vets aren't already with the zoo? It just sounds strange to me. I suppose equine vets or farm animal vets could assist to some degree, but it would depend on the animal in need. What vets are on-call for a zoo that only has a one contracted veterinarian, other than the veterinarian who is experienced with zoo animals? I'm assuming that the area only has that one experienced veterinarian for the sake of this question.
It depends on the need of the zoo. Several smaller zoos will work with equine vets, livestock vets, and small animal vets for certain problems. There is a certain amount of volunteerism there, too.