Things I hate about psychology!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How about this one. Have any of you ever worked crisis work, like etiher crisis lines, or mobile crisis. Or has anyone ever worked in a hospital admissions department doing intake work? If you have you'll know what I'm talking about, if not you soon will. I hate the patients who come in and either they themselves or more often then not their family members will cut you off mid sentance saying "belive me I know, I majored in psych". You invaraibly have to respond with something like "well, there may have been some things that have changed in the field since then, bla balh blah" and also you never learned anything useful in undergrad psych.

I hate htat everyone likes to play therapist.

Members don't see this ad.

Psyclops said:
How about this one. Have any of you ever worked crisis work, like etiher crisis lines, or mobile crisis. Or has anyone ever worked in a hospital admissions department doing intake work? If you have you'll know what I'm talking about, if not you soon will. I hate the patients who come in and either they themselves or more often then not their family members will cut you off mid sentance saying "belive me I know, I majored in psych". You invaraibly have to respond with something like "well, there may have been some things that have changed in the field since then, bla balh blah" and also you never learned anything useful in undergrad psych.

LOL, I agree with you. And we have to laugh, b/c those are the same folks that blanket term any type of sadness as "depression" and use schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder interchangeably. And refer to people as sociopaths....etc. And who says you don't learn anything in undergraduate psychology ;)

That is another great point CPG. I hate the way clinical psych terms are used (I don't know if it was the chicken or the egg) in common parlance. I hate when people go around saying crap like "she was so manic" and "I feel so depressed". Yeah but do you mean clinically depressed?

Don't even get me started on MPD or DID. In fact I'm starting another post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psyclops said:

I've worked crisis lines, mobile crisis, AND hospital intake. I agree with you, Psyclops, but my REAL pet peeve with intake was when I'd get called to do an assessment "because the patient is [insert psychiatric diagnosis here]". As if the psychiatric disorder is responsible for every medical issue a person could have.

Me: OK, what are the current symptoms?
Caller: Well, he came in for a broken arm from a bike accident. But he takes [insert psychotropic here], so we thought you should talk to him.
Me: What's the psych crisis?
Caller: Well he sees an outpatient psychiatrist. And he takes meds.
Me: Is he complaining of any psych symptoms? SI/HI/psychosis/mood shifts? Evidence of any sort of intoxication?
Caller: No. But he has [insert diagnosis again].

Aaaaargh.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, the thing people attribute to metal illness is ridiculous. My personal favortie is one time a grandmother attributed her 15 year old grandson's interest in nudie pics to a suppoed psychiatric disorder. I attributed it to puberty, and told her so. You should have seen the look on the poor kids face, it was as if I was saving him from drowning. Or what about the parents who want to admit thier kids for "talking back". Especailly when the kid is 13. I loved teling them it was age appropriate behavior. A little bit of knowledge is a bad thing.

In my city we have 2 crisis lines- one staffed by all masters-level (and a few doctoral-level) folks, and one staffed by volunteers. I've always been wary of the volunteer line.

Case in point: adolescent female referred to the ED by the volunteer line due to SI. The volunteer has informed the parents (via a phone assessment in which she never spoke with the patient) that the kid needs at least 3 inpatient days. I meet with her alone- vague SI (more escape fantasies, really), no plan, no history of SI/plan or impulsivity, no CD issues, no history of mental health treatment. I meet with the parents who confirm all of the above. But they still want their child admitted "because that's what the crisis worker told us needed to happen", even after I explained how she didn't meet the criteria.

Luckily the mother was a special ed teacher for BD kids. They changed their minds fast when I told them that most of the inpatient population were similar in temperament to her students. Yay! for having good outpatient referrals on hand!

Mental Health is an area that is suceptable to clients "knowing best". My favorite would be to pick up the crisis line and hear "I have a chemical imbalance, I need medication now." NO prior treatment, they just heard a buzz word.

Psyclops said:
Mental Health is an area that is suceptable to clients "knowing best". My favorite would be to pick up the crisis line and hear "I have a chemical imbalance, I need medication now." NO prior treatment, they just heard a buzz word.

"Well, you have two options here. You can either talk to a therapist to see if they can help you figure out what's going on and if there's a way to sort through the issues at hand and decide if medication is necessary. OR, you can just start taking something that will alter the chemical functioning of your brain. Your choice. I'd start with the least invasive."

OK, I'm off to see a 17 y/o borderline. Yes, Virginia, they do exist.

You are good! I can tell by your quotes that you have a nicely prepared answer for this and a myriad of other situations. I relied on them. But one question, who is Virginia?

Psyclops said:
I'm a fan of this post. And agree with pretty much everything you are saying. The MA/MS/MSWs in my opinion don't seem to take the profession very seriously, which is a horrible generalization to make, but that is my opinion after interacting with them. They seem to epitomize the "I just want to help people, I won't worry about learning all I should know and keeping up with current research, just give me a hug" that the public ridicules the field for.

I'm an MSW who is trying to get into the psychology profession and as much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with you that generally this is all too true. I don't fit in well and butt heads with some of my clinical SW colleagues all the time about this, who don't seem to care about what the research says, current or otherwise and uncritically embrace all kinds of nonsense (but some clinical psychologists do that as well, I have to add). There are a few good people in the SW profession who are trying to change things and they have gotten together a Society for Social Work Research that is doing some good work, but it is an uphill battle all the way when it comes to getting most of these folks to value an evidence-based approach and engage in critical thinking. In the MSW program I went through, whether the therapies we studied had evidence to support them, rarely even came up. Fortunately some of my research professors were great and the school I went to was better at teaching research methodology than many MSW programs are and I became a research major but the clinical and research sections of the program were very separate. Many clin SWs I know are terrified of crunching numbers or even reading about them.

jlw9698 said:
OK, I'm off to see a 17 y/o borderline. Yes, Virginia, they do exist.

They exist younger than that too.

Psyclops said:
They exist younger than that too.

I KNOW! :D This one's psychiatrist had "displays BPD traits" written on his initial assessment from when she was 12. And he took that from the referring doctor's assessment.

She keeps me on my toes.

Dagny52 said:
Many clin SWs I know are terrified of crunching numbers or even reading about them.

I don't agree with everything you said (or with everything in the quote from Psyclops that you used), but this..... this is so so very true. Somehow social work (and I suspect the MA Counseling programs as well) has managed to attract an inordinate number of "numbersphobes".

"I hate math."
"I'm horrible at math."
"Statistics scares me!"
"I DREAD having to do research because of all the math!"

Now, I graduated a while ago, but memory serving, SPSS did most of the math for me. And the math I did have to do involved MAYBE a little algebra, but certainly no trig or calc. Sheesh.

Also just to toss out there- the MSW is primarily a practice-oriented degree. My MSW friends who were interested in research have gone on to get their PhDs in social work so that they can research, publish, and teach. Can/should we hold the MSWs and MAs accountable for performing research when it's not the focus or intention of their degree? Certainly they should be accountable for understanding the process and keeping up with current studies. This may be a topic for a new thread... sorry for the semi-hijack! :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
jlw9698 said:
Also just to toss out there- the MSW is primarily a practice-oriented degree. My MSW friends who were interested in research have gone on to get their PhDs in social work so that they can research, publish, and teach. Can/should we hold the MSWs and MAs accountable for performing research when it's not the focus or intention of their degree? Certainly they should be accountable for understanding the process and keeping up with current studies. This may be a topic for a new thread... sorry for the semi-hijack! :oops:

The mod might bust this up if we get too far off topic, but if we continue to bitch it meets my criterion for this thread. Of course they should be held responisble, but are they being held responsible as it is? The field is making vast and fast advances. I don't think the average counseling MA or MSW program prepares the students for a life of consuming research as time goes on. Or maybe they fail to instill the attitude that research is beneficial and helps them practice. I think the attitude towards research is poor from grads of those programs.

They should be exposed to this example. Would you go to an MD that wanted to bleed you to cure your fever? Of course not. We know that that is ineffective treatment for fever and viral infections in general. How. Through research. Now would you like to be treated by a doctor that ignores new trends in the field? NO! So you should ethically be keeping up with research in the field. Practioners who don't follow this ethical principle infuriate me. It's one of the reasons our field continues to be laughed at.

As for the math thing. People need to grow up and realize that at some point you might have to do things that aren't your forte to be good at what you do. Suck it up do your best and move on.

This has touched a chord with me as you can see. Sorry for yelling.

Psyclops said:
The mod might bust this up if we get too far off topic, but if we continue to bitch it meets my criterion for this thread. Of course they should be held responisble, but are they being held responsible as it is? The field is making vast and fast advances. I don't think the average counseling MA or MSW program prepares the students for a life of consuming research as time goes on. Or maybe they fail to instill the attitude that research is beneficial and helps them practice. I think the attitude towards research is poor from grads of those programs.

Agree with this. And I need to clarify before we go on that I am actually a MSW LCSW, not a psychologist. I went through a strictly clinical program and can attest that "a life of consuming research" was not emphasized. Definitely room for the schools to improve on that. Regarding poor attitude, I think this stems from several things, the numbersphobia I mentioned being among them. Also the schools not performing stringent screening (both initial and ongoing) of whether individual students are able to provide appropriate clinical services. (I'm being really nice by phrasing it like that. Those strong opinions are definitely for another thread, but SDN doesn't have a MA/MSW forum to post it in...) Psychology programs are much more on top of that from what I've seen.

They should be exposed to this example. Would you go to an MD that wanted to bleed you to cure your fever? Of course not. We know that that is ineffective treatment for fever and viral infections in general. How. Through research. Now would you like to be treated by a doctor that ignores new trends in the field? NO! So you should ethically be keeping up with research in the field. Practioners who don't follow this ethical principle infuriate me. It's one of the reasons our field continues to be laughed at.

Aren't we on the same page here? My question was whether the MSWs/MAs should be expected to be conducting research, not reading it and keeping abreast. Of course we should be doing that. No question. With your analogy, of course I expect my doctor to be able to apply the new trends in treatment, but that doesn't mean I expect her to have done the research herself. (And FWIW, I'm actually assisting one of my PhD friends with her research, so I'ma gonna be published soon. :thumbup: :D ) I also have mandatory continuing ed requirements- usually seminars rather than reading- and try to choose topics like Dialectical Behavioral Therapy over "How to Start Your Private Practice" in order to update myself on what's really relevant.

As for the math thing. People need to grow up and realize that at some point you might have to do things that aren't your forte to be good at what you do. Suck it up do your best and move on.

Amen. Those are the thoughts that I omitted from my previous post.

This has touched a chord with me as you can see. Sorry for yelling.

Yelling? You weren't even using caps lock. :p

Ditto to all of this for MS/MA counseling programs. I am finishing one up, and most of my classmates are math-phobes and even research-phobes. the few papers we have had to write that involve lit reviews, most of my classmates freaked out at the idea of having to read a research paper. i completely agree that MS/MA programs are geared towards becoming a practitioner, not a researcher, but pracitioners should be taught how to be consumers of research.

Right, I certainly don't think that everyone needs to be interested in doing research. But they should be able to keep up with advances in the field, and usually that means keeping up with research.

BTW, I wasn't disagreeing with you jlw, jsut building on what you said.

We're all playing so nicely together.. I like this!

Back to things I hate- not about psychology, but related to it:

I hate when I hear stories like Psisci has about social workers attempting to do testing. NO, NO, NO. That is not our job, that is not our training, it is not appropriate. Leave that to the psychologists. They know what to do and how to do it. I do, however, love reading the writeups. Fascinating stuff.

If it helps, I've not gotten wind through NASW of anyone suggesting we do this. Perhaps it's some rogue social worker somewhere?

I hear you on this one, I zelously guard psychologists testing rights, it's the only thing we have to ourselves. On that note though, I hate psychologists who just use the MMPI computer print out and just copy and paste that for their report. WTF. those are just suggestions or possibilities, the whole presentaiton must be taken into account.

jlw9698 said:
Now, I graduated a while ago, but memory serving, SPSS did most of the math for me. And the math I did have to do involved MAYBE a little algebra, but certainly no trig or calc. Sheesh.

That was pretty much my experience with the basic research courses. As a research major in my MSW program we did have to do more than that and actually did have to do some real calculations, but we were only a small percentage of the MSW student body.

You ask if we should hold MSWs and MAs accountable for performing research. To give my two cents, I think it's a good idea for them to at least get some experience with this as a student in a basic research class but more importantly, they need to learn how to understand research and how to integrate evidence into their practice. If they don't understand why this is important and why clinical anecdotes are not a good basis for selecting treatments, they won't be motivated to keep up with the latest research. The problem that I have seen all too often is that many clinical SWs, MAs, MFTs, (and some psychologists as well, especially if they graduated from programs that were other than Boulder model) do not see the importance of going by research evidence at all, and instead rely on clinical anecdotes and "whatever works" for choosing treatments. All too often what happens is that students have their clinical classes and they have their research classes and the material from the research classes, which terrified many of them to begin with, is never integrated into their practice because no one really taught them how to do this; that is, they never learned how one would go about conducting an evidence-based practice in practical terms.

Psyclops said:

I used to volunteer as a crisis counselor before coming med school (hold off on the flames, please). I never got the "I majored in psych," but I did receive several, "I give good advice and am expecting you tell me what to do." Lady, I don't know you. And I don't think that you give good advice.

Why would we flame you for going to med school?? I get alot of people wanting me to fix the kids they made and nurtured in 1-2 hrs, so I get your point....

I would add Cigna and Value Options to that list. Unethical defenitly! Souless, most likely.

Getting an inppatient day from them isn't easy. I wouldn't want a family member in need to have them for coverage. But I guess for inpatient I would want them to have medicaid. No problems wiht our system.......right........right guys.....?

Psyclops said:
Getting an inppatient day from them isn't easy. I wouldn't want a family member in need to have them for coverage. But I guess for inpatient I would want them to have medicaid. No problems wiht our system.......right........right guys.....?

toward the end of my case management career, I got very adept at saying things like, "I staffed it with my supervisor, and SHE said to tell you......."

seriously, folks- hate the managed care game (I do), but many of the case/care managers really are trying to do the right thing but getting held back by administrative idiots and/or policies. I happened to have really great colleagues and horrible bosses.

and of all of them, I hate my old company the most. but they'll remain nameless. :cool:

True insurance story …

A supervisor was trying to get approval for inpatient from an unnamed HMO. We stated that the clt had a suicide plan involving jumping from the roof of her apartment building and that she had taken steps to put her plan in action. The insurance rep asked us how tall her apartment building was. My supervisor asked the insurance rep for her name. She asked, “why?” He replied, “The family will want to know whose name to put on the subpoena.”

The stay was approved.

psychgeek said:
True insurance story …

A supervisor was trying to get approval for inpatient from an unnamed HMO. We stated that the clt had a suicide plan involving jumping from the roof of her apartment building and that she had taken steps to put her plan in action. The insurance rep asked us how tall her apartment building was. My supervisor asked the insurance rep for her name. She asked, “why?” He replied, “The family will want to know whose name to put on the subpoena.”

The stay was approved.

I’m certainly no fan of insurance companies, but I don’t think it is necessarily a bad question. In grad school I was taught to quantify everything. When I read a chart and it states a pt has a sleep disturbance, that’s meaningless. I want to know how many hours a person is sleeping a night. Alcohol dependence, exactly how much are they drinking. If there was an OD, how many pills were taken. If someone cut their wrist, how many sutures were required, etc.

PsychEval said:

I’m certainly no fan of insurance companies, but I don’t think it is necessarily a bad question. In grad school I was taught to quantify everything. When I read a chart and it states a pt has a sleep disturbance, that’s meaningless. I want to know how many hours a person is sleeping a night. Alcohol dependence, exactly how much are they drinking. If there was an OD, how many pills were taken. If someone cut their wrist, how many sutures were required, etc.

Not to mention the numerous children whose suicide plan is to "jump out of the window", only to find out that the house is a ranch-style, or a trailer.

Sometimes I'd ask questions like that knowing that I had to staff it with my boss, and if I knew that it was 5th floor vs. 2nd floor, I'd get less flak for wanting to authorize it as the lethality of the plan just went up.

HOWEVER, that said, some questions are absolutely ludicrous. When I was on the hospital-side of things, I had to call one of the above-mentioned companies and had a horrible experience. There was a morbidly obese woman (350+ lbs) who was diabetic and had had both feet amputated. Her home health nurse came to the apartment and found her sitting in a chair with a gun and a box of bullets on the table next to her; the nurse got there before she could follow through with shooting herself. Despite her serious problems with ambulation, she had gotten over to a closet, gotten the box containing the gun off of the top shelf, and gotten back to her chair.

I call the insurance, report all of the above, and was asked:

"But were there any bullets actually IN the gun?"

jlw9698 said:
Not to mention the numerous children whose suicide plan is to "jump out of the window", only to find out that the house is a ranch-style, or a trailer.

Sometimes I'd ask questions like that knowing that I had to staff it with my boss, and if I knew that it was 5th floor vs. 2nd floor, I'd get less flak for wanting to authorize it as the lethality of the plan just went up.

HOWEVER, that said, some questions are absolutely ludicrous. When I was on the hospital-side of things, I had to call one of the above-mentioned companies and had a horrible experience. There was a morbidly obese woman (350+ lbs) who was diabetic and had had both feet amputated. Her home health nurse came to the apartment and found her sitting in a chair with a gun and a box of bullets on the table next to her; the nurse got there before she could follow through with shooting herself. Despite her serious problems with ambulation, she had gotten over to a closet, gotten the box containing the gun off of the top shelf, and gotten back to her chair.

I call the insurance, report all of the above, and was asked:

"But were there any bullets actually IN the gun?"

Not cool, at least they didn’t ask, “What caliber, are we talking 22 or 45 ACP?”

psisci said:
I am a libertarian folks....rock on.
i think more posters should abide by those ideals, especially myself before i piss off the entire board completely by differences in opinion. :cool:

Psyclops said:
I'm a fan of this post. And agree with pretty much everything you are saying. The MA/MS/MSWs in my opinion don't seem to take the profession very seriously, which is a horrible generalization to make, but that is my opinion after interacting with them. They seem to epitomize the "I just want to help people, I won't worry about learning all I should know and keeping up with current research, just give me a hug" that the public ridicules the field for. Don't get me started on the MDs, I wouldn't care so much if they weren't so in love with themselves. My favorite is how entusiastic they are about the genetic stuff. News flash guys and gals, everything is genetic to a certain extent, I don't need reserch to tell me that. But is it helping me by providing anything useful to inform my practice? Not really. See the below post on bias when it comes to their research. I agree with you that patients are patients, and lawyers have clients, that title doesn't preclude MH providers from sensetive though. I'm sorry you run into all of that anti bio stuff PS, but I think that's changeing. Give it a little time. It was ony recently that the multidimensional veiw of MH has come into vogue. I hate dualism whe it comes to thinking about mental processes.

This is the kind of thing that upsets me mainly and I do it myself. You can't generalize based on personal experience. I take the profession quite seriously and am not afraid of research or statistics at all. I choose not to do research, and I don't see how it would be relevant to me as you find certain things are not revelant. Yet, it's unfair to look down on people that have differing views because just as many people may do the same to you and it's counterproductive. And the MD post makes me laugh, now you know exactly where i come from on the master's vs. ph.d/psy.d posts. you say the md's act arrogant, look at a lot of your attitudes towards mid-level people. it's hypocritical as hell. and for dualism, you may hate it, but you can't debate it. people are stubborn and like to think in one way and make everything accomodate that paradigm, i believe there will never be a "right" and "wrong" way to look at things. i think when people come to that conclusion, there will be a lot less infighting and debates over petty issues. PS: you spelled sensitive and research wrong, perhaps you need to go for the psy.d instead. :laugh: jk

Forensic M.S. said:
This is the kind of thing that upsets me mainly and I do it myself. You can't generalize based on personal experience. I take the profession quite seriously and am not afraid of research or statistics at all. I choose not to do research, and I don't see how it would be relevant to me as you find certain things are not revelant. Yet, it's unfair to look down on people that have differing views because just as many people may do the same to you and it's counterproductive. And the MD post makes me laugh, now you know exactly where i come from on the master's vs. ph.d/psy.d posts. you say the md's act arrogant, look at a lot of your attitudes towards mid-level people. it's hypocritical as hell. and for dualism, you may hate it, but you can't debate it. people are stubborn and like to think in one way and make everything accomodate that paradigm, i believe there will never be a "right" and "wrong" way to look at things. i think when people come to that conclusion, there will be a lot less infighting and debates over petty issues. PS: you spelled sensitive and research wrong, perhaps you need to go for the psy.d instead. :laugh: jk

Look, how can you not generalize based on personal experience? You have to until you learn otherwise. I would say it depends on the viewpoint, some peoples viewpoints deserve to be looked down upon, some need to be considered. I personally don't think I have acted arrogant or dismissive towards the mid level therapists, I constatnly recognize thier worth, but they aren't the same as a doctoral level clinician in terms of scope or training, nor do I think they get enough trianing in certain things. That doesn't mean they aren't valuable in other ways. As for dualism, people need to get over it, it may not always be useful to consider the mind and body as one but you can still debate it with those who don't see it that way and those who don't buy a unified understanding will be wrong. THere maybe few absolutes, but there are righter and wronger. And, I make tons of spelling errors, and typos, thatks for pointing them out, ever think of copy editing?

PsychEval said:

I don't think he objected to the question; he objected to having his clinical judgment questioned by an insurance rep. He had a pretty adversarial relationship with insurance companies in general and encouraged the same in his trainings.

He reminded me of another supervisior who told me that when she requests inpatient authorization she immediately gets p***** off and asks to speak to the insurance rep’s supervisor. She said she knows this is what is going to happen eventually and this approach saves everyone 20 minutes.

psychgeek said:
I don't think he objected to the question; he objected to having his clinical judgment questioned by an insurance rep. He had a pretty adversarial relationship with insurance companies in general and encouraged the same in his trainings.

He reminded me of another supervisior who told me that when she requests inpatient authorization she immediately gets p***** off and asks to speak to the insurance rep’s supervisor. She said she knows this is what is going to happen eventually and this approach saves everyone 20 minutes.

I’m sure he objected to having his clinical judgement questioned. Most mental health care providers have a MMPI profile of 4-9, and aren’t crazy about answering to anyone.

psychgeek said:

Too bad things got so adversarial in those cases. On the insurance side, my coworker and I were put to work as an intake CMs because of our prior hospital intake experience. This helped so much in knowing a) what a "good" assessment is and b) the pressures that an intake assessor is under- from the ED, the patient, the family, the floor, the psychiatrist, etc etc etc. I also covered inpatient cases for a while.

I worked at a regional office of a national company, so most of our hospitals were in our metro/state area and neighboring states. It's an incestuous mental health community around here- kind of like 3 degrees of separation, so you have to be VERY careful about not burning bridges. We were able to reduce (not eliminate- it will never happen) the amount of tension between ourselves and our facilities because of previous professional/personal relationships, and by improving interrater reliability on our end. Amazing what consistency can do. And humor. I don't see how people can do either side of that job without a great sense of humor. I was also surprised to find out how many UR and intake people took our statements so personally. Someone started crying on my buddy once when he said he couldn't authorize something and suggested an alternative. Crying???? Seriously???

Quality of assessment was so variable, that sometimes we had no choice but to question judgment. Most of the assessors we worked with were masters-level, a few doctoral-level folks. Some we learned we could rely on to consistently provide thorough and accurate information. They usually got what they wanted, b/c they came to "battle" prepared. Then there were the lazy people who didn't bring any ammo. I recall telling someone from my old hospital, "You KNOW I used to work there. I know what's on your form- how come you haven't asked those questions???????" I made him go get the answers and call me back. Bitchy? Sure. But he never called me again without a finished assessment. And then there were a few genuinely incompetent folks. A 20-minute anger outburst by a 14 y/o who did not get his way, in the absence of any affective symptoms, does NOT qualify as "bipolar I, most recent episode manic", people.

We had a few facilities who used psychiatry residents or fellows to call in clinical. Man I loved those facilities. Bar none, the best assessments I could possibly get. I had one guy who would tell me the diagnosis and then give me every DSM-IV criteria which the patient met. This made my job so much easier. Actually, now that I think about it, there was one exception.... but those were part of the next group.....

There were a few rural free-standing psych hospitals. During the day, the assessments were called in by an LPN. At night, by the switchboard operator. I wish I were kidding. These places offered transportation services (would send a van to the patient's house to pick them up and bring them in), so they were requesting pre-cert based off of a phone conversation with an upset parent of a belligerent 8 y/o. These were our nightmare cases, usually involving one of us having to call the family, and do an assessment ourselves. If a child was admitted, the ELOS was 10 days, no matter clinical presentation, diagnosis, or prognosis during treatment.

One thing I could never abide by that I heard a (horrible) coworker say- "Why am I recommending a denial? Because I can." Or how about "Because it's day 4 of the inpatient stay." F*** that. If I was going to question someone's clinical judgment, I needed to back up my statements with a clinical rationale of my own. Turnabout's fair play, and more often than not, it allowed us to have a clinical discussion and come to an agreement, rather than having an argument that accomplished nothing but perpetuating ill will.

Very good post jlw, I'll tell you from an intake side of things (which I know you know too) I woud hate being told by administration to try and admit someone who I knew wouldn't meet criteria.

In all fairness, although there are quite few reviewer who I would like to shake, there was one guy once, who I caught at 16:45 on a friday. When he got to the point where he had to ask if the patient could contract, I had this elaborate rationalle about how they said they could but I din't believe them. On prinicple I would never lie, of course. So, when he got to that question, I said something to the effect of "Well, let me explain this to you, technically she says..." He interupted me there and said "Turst me, the answer is no, she can't. I'll give you three days through the weekend." I could hear him winking through the phone. I was never so grateful.

Thanks, Psy. The biggest thing for me on both sides of the phone was to be clinically thorough. This is not as difficult as people think it is. Like you, on hospital intake I had people who *said* they would be safe but I didn't believe them. I know there's talk in the -iatry forum right now about using instinct vs. evidence-based practice, and this is one of those times. So in addition to my gut, I looked for other clues- how's their eye contact when they recant their SI? Body posture? Level of psychomotor activity? What are the vocal cues? Sociofamilial supports to support an alternative level of care? These things are tremendously helpful in painting a picture of the patient for the insurance intake case manager, and can make the difference between an auth and a peer-to-peer. I'd much rather hear "She says she can contract, but she can't look me in the eye, her speech is soft, little spontaneous speech, mood and affect are depressed, she can't even lift her head, hygiene is poor, clothing dirty and disheveled, and the only support system she has is her dog" than "well, my gut says....."

On the other hand, catch me at 4:45...... and I was probably saying "eh, screw it." :smuggrin: (Actually, since I had several close friends/former colleagues who worked evenings, if they called b/t 4:45 and 5, we chatted for a few minutes and hung up, with the mutual understanding that when they called the after-hours office at 5:01, we had never talked..... :thumbup: :oops: )

Needless to say I was shocked when I got that response from the guy. I can see both sides of the issue. Somtimes though....you know it was tough, because sometimes you have a patient who needs X level of care, they won't auth it, the patient can't understand what their financial liability will be like, then it's up to you to make the decision, knowing what your own hospitals credit agency will do to the person, if UR can't make it happen later. Not all intake workers are bleeding heart leiberals who want to use up everyones third party funds. I hate the abuses that go on with the Ms and psych admissions.

Please. Don't get me started on M/M abuses. My hospital system abused that so badly, especially with the kids in state custody...... wound up being part of the reason I quit. And then there was the gero psych who was referred to as The Vampire for his ability to suck Medicare dry.

Re: patient financial liability, I'm happy to be corrected on this if people have other experiences, but if the facility is IN-network, then part of that contract should say that the patient cannot be held financially liable for medical treatment that was determined to be not meeting medical necessity criteria (MNC) or if there is an administrative denial. In other words, it protects the patient from being billed if the hospital either a) screws up (ie, no precert was done) or b) provides a service if the insurance didn't authorize it. OUT-of-network benefits are a whole different ballgame, and that can get pricey really quickly.

But scenario would be: I get the clinical and it either a) isn't enough for me to make a determination or b) doesn't appear to meet MNC. I'd tell the intake person that I can't auth, and tell them to do whatever they felt they needed to in the best interest of the patient. Depending on the situation I would either pend authing until more info was available (say no one had been available to do a good assessment, but the psychiatrist would be by at 8am and I could get their assessment first thing in the morning) OR, if it was pretty clear that this patient did not meet MNC, I'd offer a peer-to-peer- either the EMP or the admitting psychiatrist could contact our medical director/psychiatrist and basically plead their case for admission. If the facility admitted and it wound up not being authed, the facility eats the cost b/c they took the gamble. Patient is not penalized. Same on the d/c end of things- days denied at the end of the stay were not the patient's financial responsibility. And there are all kinds of appeals processes along the way that are really boring and tedious and I won't get into.

Bottom line: it may depend on the plan, but I believe that many people are protected from those large bills if they're going in-network.

Not all intake workers are bleeding heart leiberals who want to use up everyones third party funds.

One more thing- this is one of the main reasons I hate the company I used to work for. If I heard my director say one more time that "All of our providers are trying to milk us.", I was going to scream. And he fully admitted it was the attitude at the corporate admin level as well, and believed to be true about both inpatient and outpatient providers. So we had the following conversation on several occasions:

Him: All of our providers are trying to milk us.
Me: Really? All of them?
Him: Yes.
Me: Are you forgetting that I'M one of our providers? I'm just not seeing people right now b/c I work here?
Him: Oh. Right. Forgot about that. OK, well almost all of our providers.

Sheesh.

(A few months ago, I requested to be put on their "do not refer" list. I really don't want their money. I'll stick with the companies that I don't know as much about. Maybe they don't trust any of us either, but I don't need to be privy to that.)

I wasn't aware of all the ins and outs to be honest, I just knew of a few times where the pt did get slammed with a bill, and it didn't feel good for me. That was probably just a rare occurence. And I can't remember the details, so maybe the patient was insisting on admission, while it may not have been medically necissary, we were willing to do as long as the pt signed the gurantor forms. Who are we to denythem treatmetn they felt they needed right? HA. I know that was one policy, if you wanted to stay and pay, and you were subjectively distressed, we'd take you.

jlw9698 said:
One more thing- this is one of the main reasons I hate the company I used to work for. If I heard my director say one more time that "All of our providers are trying to milk us.", I was going to scream. And he fully admitted it was the attitude at the corporate admin level as well, and believed to be true about both inpatient and outpatient providers. So we had the following conversation on several occasions:

Yeah, this isn't a big secret. I wish it weren't so adversarial. The problem is there is so much malingering in MH. If there weren't though, that would hurt the forensic and neuropsych business.

Sure, I don't know how you mean, but some hospitals have the policy (ridiculous if you ask me) that hey will pursue admissions, without medical necessity as long as the patient wants it. Sometimes the patient doesn't need it, but want's it, but not so bad that they wil pay FFS. So in that case, we want a no. Or if the client is a frequent flyer....

Yeah, similar. Patient wants in, there aren't any symptoms to support admission... they insist that their insurance will authorize it even though ou know it's never going to happen. So you go through the motions, get the answer you expected. I don't recall ever winding up admitting any of these, though... usually out the door. Maybe IOP at best, referrals at worst.

Where is there such a plethora of beds that hospitals can admit someone without MNC? That is definitely not our problem here.

Rural hospital, summertime.