Things I Learned From My Patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyDr

Psychologist
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Things have been slow here. Any interest?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1) If you are facing serious legal trouble, the best course of action is to schedule an appointment with a neuropsychologist claiming that you suffer from memory impairment.

2) If find yourself admitted to the psych hospital after taking a bunch of your substance of choice, it is super important to deny any use to the docs. But it sure is fun to loudly brag about how much of said substance you took to other patients.

3) When malingering, the more complex and convoluted the presentation, the better.

The folks who are trying to completely fake (or maybe just overreport/exaggerate) PTSD symptoms usually don't make it past session 2-4 of a structured workbook/protocol.

I routinely offer cases whose presentations appear suspicious a structured workbook/protocol for their presenting issue (anger, insomnia, depression, etc.) complete with handouts, worksheets, a healthy dose of self-monitoring, and between-session assignments.

If they are characterologically so lacking in industriousness that they are trying to fake a mental disorder in order to get on disability then no way are they going to exhibit the hard work necessary to fake their way through a structured treatment protocol. They just move on to another therapist.

Kills me on my 'no-show' rates for a short time but they are often lost to follow up.

Seriously, in the post-deployment clinic it's like garlic/crucifix/holy water to a vampire.

2 year olds are really good at getting their needs met in the most efficient manners possible, regardless of expressive language ability or diagnostic status. Also- it's really fun to fling rubber duckies from metal spoons- totally deserving of a good giggle.

No matter how bad you have it, there is always someone who has it worse. I have had a couple of patients who I thought were tied for "worst childhood" until a patient came in with both of their experiences. To top it off, this patient functions at a higher level than the other two. So I also learned that. I matter how bad the stuff that happened, some people can still cope. Other side of that one is that some people can't cope even when nothing bad has happened.

Reactions: 4 users
No matter how bad you have it, there is always someone who has it worse. I have had a couple of patients who I thought were tied for "worst childhood" until a patient came in with both of their experiences. To top it off, this patient functions at a higher level than the other two. So I also learned that. I matter how bad the stuff that happened, some people can still cope. Other side of that one is that some people can't cope even when nothing bad has happened.

On the flipside, "bad" can be really subjective. I consider myself to have had a pretty privileged, relatively easy life. My friend, who I consider to have had a really difficult life, has told me that I inspire her for overcoming what she views as my... really difficult life. I think the same of her, so go figure....

Reactions: 2 users
Well...I learned the names of a whole bunch of dinosaurs I had never heard of before, along with their eras, from a toddler with ASD.

If they are characterologically so lacking in industriousness that they are trying to fake a mental disorder in order to get on disability then no way are they going to exhibit the hard work necessary to fake their way through a structured treatment protocol. They just move on to another therapist.

Kills me on my 'no-show' rates for a short time but they are often lost to follow up.

Seriously, in the post-deployment clinic it's like garlic/crucifix/holy water to a vampire.

I guess I'd like to know more about this. I have a friend with serious health issues who can't keep track of appts or even find his keys some days. he legitimately has concussive-related migraines, memory dysfunction and probably PTSD. Every VA doc, from psych to neuro to clinic who's looked at him says, "Dude, you're SICK!"

The social worker says he's faking, capable of so much more and we're all babying him.

I have to wonder if his complete inability to track basic appointments and records played a part of that "diagnosis."

I guess I'd like to know more about this. I have a friend with serious health issues who can't keep track of appts or even find his keys some days. he legitimately has concussive-related migraines, memory dysfunction and probably PTSD. Every VA doc, from psych to neuro to clinic who's looked at him says, "Dude, you're SICK!"

The social worker says he's faking, capable of so much more and we're all babying him.

I have to wonder if his complete inability to track basic appointments and records played a part of that "diagnosis."

Since the base rate for headaches remains the same between mtbi and healthy controls and there is no evidence of memory impairment in mtbi, I would gues that you're asking about medical advice which is prohibited.

If you're worn out after testing someone, it just might be ADHD.

If you are cognitively exhausted and incredibly confused after testing or interviewing someone, it might be a thought disorder.

Either of these could also indicate a somatoform disorder for me!

I actually feel like I've seen some great resilience over the years that has been inspiring - in the face of tough diagnoses in a variety of settings (e.g., AMC, private hospital, public hospital, VA) - some patients take awful news in stride and really make an effort. Support systems too. Seeing those cases, even when the prognosis is poor, really gives me some faith and helps keep my jadedness in check.

Reactions: 1 users
1. There are a lot of really crappy providers even at really good places.
2. The chances of a protocol being perfectly implemented as written is only effective for clients that never come in.
3. The ethics codes are far simplier in urban settings.

If you're a good enough psychologist to survive a mania induced series of mind/energy bullets; you're clearly deserving of a multi trillion dollar reward.

Likewise: explaining the financial costs of returning to earth after being banished to outer space does nothing to stop the behavior.

If someone tells you that your substance abuse is the cause of your cognitive impairments, they are clearly full of ****.