Things I won't miss about prelim IM...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Treating alcoholic cirrhosis with ascites, coming in for paracentesis and all the associated pages from nursing about the low blood pressures.

Members don't see this ad.

Things I won't miss about prelim IM...everything.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The social work. It was so much fun figuring out the logistics of getting a pt IV abx at an outpatient dialysis center over a holiday weekend.

I felt the warm fuzziness swell up inside me just by typing that.

Reactions: 1 user
Sheer joy builds up inside me everytime I walk into the hospital for a consult and pass the medicine residents with the knowledge that I am no longer bound to the wards/floors and can leave at any time :-D

Sheer joy builds up inside me everytime I walk into the hospital for a consult and pass the medicine residents with the knowledge that I am no longer bound to the wards/floors and can leave at any time :-D
What specialty are you in?

If you did it right, you shouldn't ever actually be in the hospital. I can count on one finger the number of times I've ever seen a Derm, Ophtho, Rad Onc, Rads, Gas resident on "the floor".

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
EVERYTHING

:help:

I don't know how I'm going to make it through this year

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely. Every. Single. Thing.

I really don't see how I'm going to make it through the year. Glad to know I'm not alone in this.

If you did it right, you shouldn't ever actually be in the hospital. I can count on one finger the number of times I've ever seen a Derm, Ophtho, Rad Onc, Rads, Gas resident on "the floor".

Don't gas residents go to the floor to do post anesthesia exams? Sure, it's like 1 minute at worse consisting of "Any problems, sore throat, difficulty breathing? Awesome, let me listen to your lungs," but they're on the floors on occasion.

Don't gas residents go to the floor to do post anesthesia exams? Sure, it's like 1 minute at worse consisting of "Any problems, sore throat, difficulty breathing? Awesome, let me listen to your lungs," but they're on the floors on occasion.
Isn't that what the PACU is for?

Isn't that what the PACU is for?

When I did a rotation in anesthesia in med school the residents would do some on POD 1. I'm not sure what the criteria was for that, but it wasn't rare for them to pop upstairs for 15 minutes between cases and knock them out.