Things that make a bad pre-vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What qualities do you see in pre-vets that are bad for one reason or another?

What basic qualities should someone have during their pre-veterinary years?

;) :p

(This is a joke, laugh, have fun, make it light...)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Freaking out about the possibility of applying with less than a 4.0 GPA is *bad* :depressed:.

I probably could have lived a little bit more as an undergraduate. I could definitely have lived with a little less stress.

Reactions: 1 users
GUNNERS

Members don't see this ad :)
Playing the my-fish-is-bigger-than-your-fish game with stats and experiences...

Reactions: 7 users
I like my fish to be blue fish. those red fish are full of themselves
Darn red fish!!!! :rage:

okVGpUm.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Their constant rejoicing over school breaks, vacations, and all the other things that no longer exist in my life. The youthful exuberance makes me feel old.

I highly doubt anyone here thinks people are mean for disagreeing with them :p

I can't remember what thread it was, but recently I read one where somebody was waitlisted and they weren't doing anything to improve their app to prepare for the highly likely outcome of having to apply again. DVMDream (and others) tried to tell them that it was a good idea to do so and the person spent a long time trying to paint DVMD as some inhuman dream crusher. And DVMD tried over and over to show her positive intent! It fell on deaf ears. All because she wasn't agreeing with that person.

As I was reading that thread, I kept thinking, "....really bro. Really?" (I call everyone bro lol)

This thread makes me laugh (irony tends to do that)... I guess pre-vet life/applying to vet school is the most extreme experience some people have and the waiting, rejection, and acceptance overload is hard for some people to handle.

I applied this cycle with the rest, but holy bananas... some people just need to take a chill pill and friggin breathe. This is not the end of the world, nor will it be the most stressful, rejection filled event of your life.

And don't air your dirty laundry out, passively seeking advice, and get pissed when someone says what you need to hear yet refuse to accept.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm not sure if this thread is mostly sarcastic or serious but I've had experience with a pre-vet who mentioned several times that one of the appeals for them was that "being a vet seemed easier than being a doctor" or that "vet school would be easier than medical school" and that didn't really come off like a good quality/thought to have :annoyed:

I find it annoying when some pre-vets feel comfortable giving medical advice after they've assisted for like a month (or really, anytime before they have their DVM). I think some pre-vets get elevated egos when it comes to learning a little bit, then being asked questions about friends' pets.

Reactions: 5 users
This thread makes me laugh (irony tends to do that)... I guess pre-vet life/applying to vet school is the most extreme experience some people have and the waiting, rejection, and acceptance overload is hard for some people to handle.

I applied this cycle with the rest, but holy bananas... some people just need to take a chill pill and friggin breathe. This is not the end of the world, nor will it be the most stressful, rejection filled event of your life.

And don't air your dirty laundry out, passively seeking advice, and get pissed when someone says what you need to hear yet refuse to accept.

I think all we can do, when we've given advice and it was rejected, is just give up and hope they learn the lesson someday. :(

Thinking that more vet schools and more seats is ok because that means more chances to get in.

Getting bent out of shape when people hold their multiple acceptances longer than they feel they should.

Reactions: 10 users
Thinking that more vet schools and more seats is ok because that means more chances to get in.

Getting bent out of shape when people hold their multiple acceptances longer than they feel they should.

Yeah, I remember that person. They seemed to think that if they didn't get called off the waitlist, it was everybody elses fault.

That mindset will not serve them well in life :(

Reactions: 1 user
Thinking vet students are just being big meanies when we say to relax and enjoy their last summer before vet school instead of encouraging them to study anatomy to get a "head start."

Thinking vet students are just being big meanies when we say to relax and enjoy their last summer before vet school instead of encouraging them to study anatomy to get a "head start."
Oh god what!?! :dead: I would have never even thought of getting a "head start" instead of relaxing haha I hope I'm not alone

Changing their status to "veterinary student" prior to their first day of vet school.

Hehehe.

I feel like that's the same as like the summer between your freshman and sophomore year though. You're not a freshman anymore, but you're also not a sophomore. If you've gotten in, I wouldn't call you a pre-vet, but you're not a veterinary student...idk I wouldn't judge anyone for doing it is all. They're just rightfully excited.

I feel like that's the same as like the summer between your freshman and sophomore year though. You're not a freshman anymore, but you're also not a sophomore. If you've gotten in, I wouldn't call you a pre-vet, but you're not a veterinary student...idk I wouldn't judge anyone for doing it is all. They're just rightfully excited.

Yeah, there was a whole thread on this a few years back... it was comical. Nobody cares what your status is... for all we know you could be an old, fat dude living in his mother's basement trolling people. Your "status" on an "anonymous" internet forum is really not all that important. You want to change to "vet student" when you are accepted... knock yourself out. Want to do it once classes start.. great. Neither I or anyone else would ever know if you are actually telling the truth with that "status".

I would still call you a pre-vet. You're pre-vet until you start vet school. The years within a program there's some wiggle room, but I wouldn't call you a college freshman if you hadn't yet started college either.

But I don't particularly care what your SDN status says.

There's an entire thread devoted to this haha.

My inclusion of the status change in this thread was a nod to the ridiculousness of that thread btw and an inside joke to those that knew of its existence. I really don't care if a pre-vet changes it prior. :laugh:

There really is so much more to life than a 4.0 GPA and a perfect GRE and thousands of hours doing the same things. Live a little! or a lot!
tumblr_mf5n2cX64n1rbrm08o1_500.gif

Reactions: 10 users
...on an "anonymous" internet forum....

Oh anonymity. Lol. I'm not that good at that game. Not the most secret screen name since some people have found me through Facebook (looking at you, @pinkpuppy9).

On a more serious note, pre-vets not taking the money thing seriously.

Prevets saying they'll care more than current vet students about all subject matters in vet school (and be happier) because I will finally be stuff they're interested in.

Reactions: 4 users
Changing their status to "veterinary student" prior to their first day of vet school.

Hehehe.

LOOOL I didn't change mine until halfway through the semester, just to be safe. And because I forgot.

Hmmm... let's see... a bad pre-vet is someone who isn't prepared to deal with rejection or failure in any form. One of my classmates knew a girl who claimed the school mixed up their names and told people my now-classmate "stole her spot." Yep. Because I'm sure that happens all the time...

pre-vets that want sunshine and rainbows from the people with experience, despite their potential experiences. People who think they are going to be the first pre-vet that doesn't do something that most do (like handle the work load easily and without stress because they've taken a full class load, had jobs, etc). Yes, it may happen, but the odds are against you.

People who post What Are My Chances outside the thread ;)

Reactions: 6 users
LOOOL I didn't change mine until halfway through the semester, just to be safe. And because I forgot.

Hmmm... let's see... a bad pre-vet is someone who isn't prepared to deal with rejection or failure in any form. One of my classmates knew a girl who claimed the school mixed up their names and told people my now-classmate "stole her spot." Yep. Because I'm sure that happens all the time...
That's just awful and inconsiderate of the student that didn't get in.