Things that make a bad pre-vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had a classmate go on and on about, "how are people struggling with this, I work 40 hours a week, have a great social life, and get all A's..." It was inconceivable to her that she was really lucky to have the sort of mind that could pull that off and she looked down on others for not being that way.

I'd slap a bish...

Though I have found that people like this... are either not doing as well as they claim to be. Or aren't actually doing some of the things they claim. They exaggerate their abilities/accomplishments to make themselves feel better.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
There's a qualitative difference between "I don't feel like my grade accurately represents the amount of work I put in and my understanding of the material" and "omgsh I didn't get an [insert minimal desired grade here]". It's the second attitude that bothers me.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd slap a bish...

Though I have found that people like this... are either not doing as well as they claim to be. Or aren't actually doing some of the things they claim. They exaggerate their abilities/accomplishments to make themselves feel better.
This and the people who say "omgsh i only started studying a day before the exam" and it's like I know you spend 4 hours a day studying. Don't lie to be cool. You got a good grade, you should be proud, but don't pull the BS I barely studied.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love the whining and hysterics about failing followed at some point by the phrase, "I failed. By my standards."

Oh good. Glad it was only because you got a B-.

This and the people who say "omgsh i only started studying a day before the exam" and it's like I know you spend 4 hours a day studying. Don't lie to be cool. You got a good grade, you should be proud, but don't pull the BS I barely studied.

Meh, I also don't like it when others assume or think they know how much someone else studies. I had a friend in Scotland who would do that to me... "oh I know you have been studying but I haven't so you shouldn't be worried but I'm gonna fail".... and I had not been studying. It is annoying when people assume what you do. Just because I wasn't going out every night like she did does not mean I'm sitting around studying. Damn it, I was watching movies.

Reactions: 2 users
I love the whining and hysterics about failing followed at some point by the phrase, "I failed. By my standards."

Oh good. Glad it was only because you got a B-.
Obviously they need to lower their standards for themselves.

now can't even remember what receptor a drug acts on or whether an antibiotic is effective against Gram-negative bacteria.

:laugh:

Everyone forgets drug info. Clinicians tell us over and over that drugs will forever be something you don't remember until you use the repeatedly. I sure as hell can't recall what receptor certain drugs work on. I've finally got some common ones down, but others, that is laughable. You'll see when you get to clinics that this tends to be a weak spot for everyone across the board.

:laugh:

Everyone forgets drug info. Clinicians tell us over and over that drugs will forever be something you don't remember until you use the repeatedly. I sure as hell can't recall what receptor certain drugs work on. I've finally got some common ones down, but others, that is laughable. You'll see when you get to clinics that this tends to be a weak spot for everyone across the board.
Lol. It's like the only thing I remember from second year.

I def know no clin path.

When my class first started out, there was a bunch of "Oh what grade did you get" sort of thing, but now it has exclusively switched to "Did you survive? Great, let's go get donuts!" I like the shift myself, and I feel like we are a lot more comfortable about things versus when we were all new and didn't know what we should/shouldn't say to one another.

The one thing that irks me grade wise is when two people are talking about the exam and person 1 says "Geez that was brutal" and then the person two (who never brags/reveals grades) says "Yeah I thought it was hard too" and person 1 rebuttals "Oh shut up you got an A anyways." I've never really understood why someone getting a better grade than someone else automatically made their opinion obsolete, or why you would assume they always would do better than you and would never find an exam hard... thankfully though this has lessened over the 1.5 years too.

Or the people who say they study x hours, work y hours and so they only get 4 hours of sleep every day for five or six weeks straight. This includes weekends and breaks (according to the person I knew). I can see it for a week, maybe two. But not five or six.

Or the people who say they study x hours, work y hours and so they only get 4 hours of sleep every day for five or six weeks straight. This includes weekends and breaks (according to the person I knew). I can see it for a week, maybe two. But not five or six.
I need sleep. I know @LetItSnow has repeatedly said how important it is. And he's right.

I'd slap a bish...

In undergrad, a girl in my genetics class would loudly say things like "I can't believe I aced that test even though I work x amount of hours at the cafeteria!" I turned around to confirm who it was....I was her supervisor and she worked less than half of what she was claiming :p

In my vet school class, I haven't heard any grade comparing yet, luckily. And, as it turns out, a lot of the people labeled as the 'smart ones' or 'know-it-alls' don't actually have the grades that everyone assumes they have.

Prevets who like to lecture about veterinary topics to vet students/vets as if it's something they wouldn't know in waaaay more detail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like I'm in limbo. I was so close to changing my status to vet student man, so close. ;)
Think on the bright side! At least this way you get to graduate with the class of 2020, which is a much more appealing number than 2019 :p

Reactions: 8 users
only 8 more months!
It's still weird for me some days. Thinking "Hey, I would have been finishing my first semester of vet school right now if genetics and chemistry hadn't combined in such an unfortunate way"

But. I also feel like it was largely a good thing that I stayed home. For multiple reasons.

Think on the bright side! At least this way you get to graduate with the class of 2020, which is a much more appealing number than 2019 :p
I think that was one of my first comments about it on here :laugh:

nonsense. even numbers are for suckers.
giphy.gif

Reactions: 4 users
Stumbled upon this "old" thread....

I have a perfect example to add to it...

Read this article the other day:

http://www.khq.com/story/31930453/rosalia-womans-dog-put-down-after-she-couldnt-pay-for-vet-service

Here is the comment by a young, aspiring vet in the comments section:

naiveyoungone said:
This is horable. WSU Veterinary School should be ashamed. I plan on being a veterinarian when I'm older and I would never refuse to treat an animal. I want to be a vet to help animals, not for the money. I feel very sorry for the owner's loss. The dog could've been helped. So sad.

Oh, the view of the young person who thinks she knows better than those vets that treated the dog.

Reactions: 5 users
I appreciated someone quoting WSU's response from their facebook:
reasonablevetschool said:
This Sunday, our veterinarians received a very serious case on emergency service which is being discussed online. The case was a beloved rescue dog that had a recent abdominal surgical wound from a procedure done elsewhere open and expose the intestines.

By the time the dog was presented to Washington State University’s Veterinary Teaching Hospital, it was apparent the intestines had been perforated and the abdomen was contaminated both from the outside environment as well as with the fecal material from the perforated intestines.

The dog was stabilized with appropriate care and then the grave medical situation and options were provided to the owner at that very difficult time. When presented with the limited and expensive options available, the owner authorized humane euthanasia, which was provided free of charge.

All veterinarians face cases like this and they are never easy for all involved, not the least of which are the owners. On behalf of all of us at WSU’s veterinary college, we again offer our sincerest condolences on the owner’s loss.

Charlie Powell, Public Information Officer, WSU College of Veterinary Medicine

Sounds like a horrible trainwreck of a case with a poor prognosis, and an owner who is grieving and looking for someone to blame. Sad all around.

Pre-vet sounds (and looks) young/inexperienced and I'm sure she'll learn elsewise eventually... sucks that the appeal to emotion strikes such a strong chord vs. the logical response.

Last edited:
Pre-vet sounds (and looks) young/inexperienced and I'm sure she'll learn elsewise eventually... sucks that the appeal to emotion strikes such a strong chord vs. the logical response.

Yeah, she looks very young, she will learn eventually, maybe, depending on how willing she is to learn. She did get some responses from those in the field and didn't respond back so hopefully she is taking those comments seriously already.

Bump because humorous:

"If you worked as a veterinarian you'd make about $70,000 to start. If you have an SO, use their salary to pay for expenses and pay $50k a year towards your debt. You'll have $20k leftover for vacations and other things and you'll have your debt paid off in four years."

Gah, why did I think things would be hard? I totally forgot that we're immune from interest, taxes, and needs for things other than vacations.

Explained to pre-vet that there are many things missing from this plan. Other prevet (who is starting vet school this fall) basically says "Bring on the debt."

Bump because humorous:

"If you worked as a veterinarian you'd make about $70,000 to start. If you have an SO, use their salary to pay for expenses and pay $50k a year towards your debt. You'll have $20k leftover for vacations and other things and you'll have your debt paid off in four years."

Gah, why did I think things would be hard? I totally forgot that we're immune from interest, taxes, and needs for things other than vacations.

Explained to pre-vet that there are many things missing from this plan. Other prevet (who is starting vet school this fall) basically says "Bring on the debt."
Just read that. smh.

Just read that. smh.
I elected to stop trying to explain because it became apparent that the person really didn't know what he was talking about...

Sometimes I kind of wish I was oblivious and uninformed so I could stop the daily stressing, but then I realize it's probably better that my SO and I talk about it a lot and try to form some sort of loose plans this early on.

Bump because humorous:

I mean...this is what I'm doing. Swap vacation for other non-necessities and four years to six years (and I have significantly more debt than many students). Obviously it doesn't work for everyone, and I'm not advocating planning on this without any other plan but it's the fastest way for me to pay down my debt and it's working quite well...

I mean...this is what I'm doing. Swap vacation for other non-necessities and four years to six years (and I have significantly more debt than many students). Obviously it doesn't work for everyone, and I'm not advocating planning on this without any other plan but it's the fastest way for me to pay down my debt and it's working quite well...

I know another vet who did something similar, but worked two jobs as well. Used most of her salary to pay down loans, husband covered living expenses. She was out of debt in 3 years, IIRC. But she was working 100 hours per week to get there. I'd die, but worked for her.

I know another vet who did something similar, but worked two jobs as well. Used most of her salary to pay down loans, husband covered living expenses. She was out of debt in 3 years, IIRC. But she was working 100 hours per week to get there. I'd die, but worked for her.

Fortunately my schedule is quite nice, and my husband makes a good salary. I want my debt gone but not enough to work 100hrs/week :eek:

Bump because humorous:

Where did you read a pre-vet saying that?

Would be nice. I'd do it... if I wasn't going the internship/residency route.

I mean the fact that there are prevets out there that don't even consider interest or taxes when playing things out in their head is a little frightening. Maybe it's because they haven't had paying jobs yet, or at least a job with a formal paystub...
Where did you read a pre-vet saying that?
APVMA.

Bump because humorous:

:rofl:

I was furiously scrolling through the rant thread to find your post on this, because I knew it was coming. Here it is!

I saw those comments just as I had gotten out of a lecture on financial literacy and IBR repayment, which made it even more hilarious.

I want to tell them to save those comments and check them after graduating from vet school to see if the money still doesn't matter to them.

:rofl:

I was furiously scrolling through the rant thread to find your post on this, because I knew it was coming. Here it is!

I saw those comments just as I had gotten out of a lecture on financial literacy and IBR repayment, which made it even more hilarious.

I want to tell them to save those comments and check them after graduating from vet school to see if the money still doesn't matter to them.
Lol! I can ignore all of the "Bring on the debt, I'm passionate so it won't matter." I was saying the same thing within the last year, but at least I knew about interest and income tax.

Lol! I can ignore all of the "Bring on the debt, I'm passionate so it won't matter." I was saying the same thing within the last year, but at least I knew about interest and income tax.
I'm interested in vet med and I am vaguely aware that I have income. Tax is what made the revolutionaries dump tea into the harbor, but I don't drink tea, so I don't know what that has to do with it.

Reactions: 6 users
I mean the fact that there are prevets out there that don't even consider interest or taxes when playing things out in their head is a little frightening. Maybe it's because they haven't had paying jobs yet, or at least a job with a formal paystub...

APVMA.
Also, omgggg I cannot BELIEVE how many people just don't understand how interest works and accrues. If you pay down on your loan, but not more than the interest on the loan, you still haven't touched the principle yet. It's not a difficult concept methinks.

But no, interest should only increase the life of the loan by a year at best. :rolleyes:

Their financial strategies are bad and they should feel bad.

Also, omgggg I cannot BELIEVE how many people just don't understand how interest works and accrues. If you pay down on your loan, but not more than the interest on the loan, you still haven't touched the principle yet. It's not a difficult concept methinks.

But no, interest should only increase the life of the loan by a year at best. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing this is why veterinary schools offer business management.

I've learned that it's really not worth spending that much time trying to point people in the right direction, especially since I got the vibe that the guy was going to fight me tooth and nail over it. He's 100% certain he's right, so no point. I just, ugh. Apparently all boarded vets are guaranteed to make over $100k a year, making the $12k x 4+ years of intern/resident super easy to pay off so you can hit your principal. And that's assuming your debt was exactly $200k. I'm getting angry again, haha.

I almost wish there was some sort of mandatory workshop incoming vet students (or maybe even applying prevets) have to do that teaches these things. I mean, looking at what I've read on that forum alone, the posters really have no clue. There are things I learned about my loans only because I attended a dinner lecture put on by VIN.

That's our ultimate plan, too. I don't think it's a bad plan at all. But I think the math in the bit pinkpuppy quoted is overly optimistic and way too simplistic. People underestimate how much of a beast interest alone can be.