Things that make you unexpectedly feel better about your stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timsk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
While my cumulative GPAs aren't bad (3.7 and 3.6) I was concerned about a few of my science grades and how they would look. My lowest grade was a 2.9 which I was rather ashamed about, especially when filling out secondaries that ask you to list each of your science classes and individual grades (i'm looking at you Pittsburgh). However, after assuming this grade was a C, I just checked to see what letter grade a 2.9 corresponds to and was pleasantly surprised to see it is an 84% and a B!

Guess I never did get a C.

I hope you all have similar experiences of unexpected good news that make you feel more confident in your competitiveness.

Members don't see this ad.

When I found out I only had 5.30 hours of Fs instead of 6.60 hours.

Made a difference. :p

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When I realized the time I got a 20 on the MCAT was just a reoccurring dream I had during the month before I got my score.

Reactions: 16 users
If you want to feel better bout your stats, wander over to the pre-podiatry forums where people really do have a 20 and are hoping for a 22 on retake so they can get accepted.

Reactions: 9 users
For however much you don't think your life can get any worse just always remember this: you could always be in the Caribbean.........

If you want to feel better bout your stats, wander over to the pre-podiatry forums where people really do have a 20 and are hoping for a 22 on retake so they can get accepted.

Savage. :)

Reactions: 2 users
I've heard that math majors tend to have low GPAs, which makes me feel better about my 3.5.

But there are still three years left for math to brutally murder me- um, I mean, my GPA. Yeah, that's what I meant. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty much the same GPAs as you, OP. When I feel down about my GPA, I look at my MCAT.

Actually, my real answer is that I remember the work I put into individual classes to get an A or A-, which really does help pull up a lower GPA

When someone gets a significantly lower grade than you in a class (a good student nonetheless), but they score a 30 on the MCAT. I keep telling myself I MUST be able to get the equivalent of a 30 on the new MCAT if he did that well. If I can get a 30, I'll be ecstatic. Fingers crossed.

And everyone who gets 36+ isn't real, I don't read your posts.

Reactions: 5 users
Until I take this ****ing MCAT I won't feel good about anything. Food tastes like ash.
Hah, you think you're freaking out now, it gets much worse for the month of waiting to hear your score

Reactions: 10 users
Until I take this ****ing MCAT I won't feel good about anything. Food tastes like ash.

The most difficult part of the MCAT is trying to keep the tears off your scratch paper.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For however much you don't think your life can get any worse just always remember this: you could always be in the Caribbean.........

You mean think about how much better your life would if you WERE in the Caribbean, preferably on a beach.

My stats are alright, it's my ECs and writing stuff that I worry about

Reactions: 1 users

It works!

You guys are so mean. Laugh all you want but they can do some cool surgery and take home median of 160k if I recall

Hah, you think you're freaking out now, it gets much worse for the month of waiting to hear your score

To be fair I may have been overreacting this morning. I had just finished a long night of studying after a long day in lab and my roommates were playing video games and drinking. Maybe my triglycerides were a little high ja feel #salty

Realizing that my grades don't define me, and that I am worthy of love no matter what my stats are.

No, deep down, I don't believe that. But I did make myself lol when typing that out. Actually, stats are the last thing I'm worried about. But I do feel better when I meet really awkward doctors and med students. If they made it past the interview, so can I.

Reactions: 4 users
Realizing that my grades don't define me, and that I am worthy of love no matter what my stats are.

No, deep down, I don't believe that. But I did make myself lol when typing that out. Actually, stats are the last thing I'm worried about. But I do feel better when I meet really awkward doctors and med students. If they made it past the interview, so can I.
To be fair they were probably helped past the interview by stellar grades lol

When someone with similar stats to mine PM'd me saying they got into my dream program the previous year and not to worry because the whole thing is "a crapshoot"

OP, the thing that made me feel better about my stats was getting accepted. ;)

Reactions: 5 users

What is this thing you call "food"? I know of chocolate, popcorn, and diet coke but food? what is that, exactly? Another question, what is the bright, glowing blob in the sky. ;)

What is this thing you call "food"? I know of chocolate, popcorn, and diet coke but food? what is that, exactly? Another question, what is the bright, glowing blob in the sky. ;)
Ufo.

No idea for the new exam, on the old one you never got a prelim, just silence for a month until your exact scores were up
The worst silence ever. I actively hated people who took their test on other days and only waited 31 days when I waited 35. I'm not proud of that time.

The worst silence ever. I actively hated people who took their test on other days and only waited 31 days when I waited 35. I'm not proud of that time.
Yep, and of course even though you know it isnt up for a few more days you start checking hourly anyways...

Hahahahh

You guys are so mean. Laugh all you want but they can do some cool surgery and take home median of 160k if I recall
This is why DPM is my backup if the MCAT proves to be the bane of my existence.

This is why DPM is my backup if the MCAT proves to be the bane of my existence.
Yep, I doubt I'd be fascinated by feet but then again I doubt many people who chase Derm are that fascinated by skin...considering the insanely relaxed entrance requirements and absolutely massive pay relative to basically anything except other areas of medicine, it's like a well-kept secret or something

@efle - when do prelims come?

I believe only April, May, and June MCAT2015 takers got prelims. July and after just get their score after a month like the old test.

getting interview invitations.
getting accepted.

:D
but getting off SDN and hanging out with non pre-profession ppl is much better

Yep, I doubt I'd be fascinated by feet but then again I doubt many people who chase Derm are that fascinated by skin...considering the insanely relaxed entrance requirements and absolutely massive pay relative to basically anything except other areas of medicine, it's like a well-kept secret or something
I shadowed a DPM for a day and it was a little repetitive, a lot of ingrown toenail removal and looking at diabetic's feet. Doesn't sound that exciting but there's still a lot of cool stuff they get to do. Plus at the end of the day I just want to be a physician, MD, DO or DPM so I'll gladly take what I can get.