Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

things they don't teach you in pharmacy school

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by killingbill, 07.01.12.

1. killingbill

killingbill

SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    1. "I'm leaving to go on vacation in an hour. I just got this medication a week ago. Can you call my insurance right now?" Yeah you and 5 other people wait until the last possible second to do this sh*t.

2. "15 minute wait? That long? It's just birth control." When it's done in 5 minutes, let that b*tch wait out the full 15 minutes before you tell her its ready.

3. "I need refills. I don't know the names of my medications."

4. us: "It's too soon to fill. You just got a 90 day supply 2 weeks ago from another pharmacy. " them:" oh you mean i have to wait to get it? I have a new prescription though" fu*cking morons

5. "I'm in the system. I can't wait, I gotta go" as they through the prescription at us and run out the door. of course they've never been here before. they come back an hour later, them: "what do you mean it's not ready?" us: "you've never been here before." them: "this isn't rite aid?" us: "no it's cvs"

6. them: "this is my insurance " (handing a united health care card to us) us: "this has no RX benefits" them: "it's the only card that they gave me, i may have medco can you call them"....i call medco, after name and DOB search patient cannot be found, i call united healthcare and and they tell me that they have caremark...i call caremark get card info...us: "you have caremark for RX benefits." them: "oh yeah i remember now"

7. us: "your medication is not covered by your insurance" them: "but i have a prescription, i don't understand" us:"no it's not that, just the medication your doctor wrote for is not covered, them: "why would the doctor write for something that's not covered, what an idiot"...do they have insurance 101 for these as*holes?

8. us: "you're medication is not in stock, we can order it for tomorrow" them: "but i need it right now." us: "i can't to locate it at another store, i'm sorry, it's not a common medication." them: "i can't stand this place, well what do i do i need it now!" (the prescription was dated 2 months ago)

9."hello, can i speak to the pharmacist." tech: "he's on the phone right now, he may be a little while". them: "i'll wait"..10 min later... tech: "sorry he's taking awhile with the insurance,would you like him to call you back?" them: "no i''ll wait"... i get on the phone 10 minutes later...them: "i've been holding for so long!!!" me: "i apologize, how can i help you?" them: "i need a refill"

10. No we do not handle prescriptions for x-rays, ct-scans, bone density scans, etc. etc....

AND WHAT'S THE #1 QUESTION THEY NEVER TAUGHT YOU THAT YOU WOULD BE ASKED AS A PHARMACIST IN PHARMACY SCHOOL: CAN I PAY FOR THIS HERE?
  2. xiphoid2010

xiphoid2010

Pharmacist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Ah the joy of retail pharmacy.

Hospital isn't as much fun.

Nurse: I'm missing a dose of xyz. Us: the technician sent it up over an hour ago. Did you check the fridge?. Nurse: yeah! I looked every where! Us: send a tech up with another dose. Technician comes back with the "missing" dose: it was in the fridge.
    happyBuddha8 likes this.
  3. schamj01

schamj01

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    don't forget the people who have gotten 4 different hydrocodone scripts from 4 different doctors in the last two weeks...

me: I'm sorry, I can't fill this for you for 2 more days.
    patient: What do you mean! I was in the ER for 3 hours today!
  4. BrightLight

BrightLight

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I beg to differ. The #1 question they never taught you in pharmacy school should be when someone jump out of nowhere and asks, "Do you have the key to the restroom?", right when you are in the middle of counselling a pt on medication use. And some even keeping calling you when you try to ignore them.
  5. joetrisman

joetrisman

Resident [Any Field]
    Pharmacist SDN 5+ Year Member
    while this does happen to me at least a dozen times per shift, I'd still say l "can i pay for this here?" wins out. luckily for me at Wags, our corporate (our maybe regional) policy is now no calling to get insurance info if they don't have it. i can call for fixes etc but if you're too irresponsible to have it, we ain't doing it for ya.
  6. Its Z

Its Z Retired

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Common Sense.

End of the thread.
  7. Indypharm

Indypharm

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    It is always front and center in the refrigerator. I also like when nurses can't find something and it's in their nurse server drawer. "Oh, I didn't think it'd be there."

8. BenJammin

BenJammin No Apologies

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    "Sorry sir, I can't fill this oxycodone script because you already picked up 200 tablets from Walmart yesterday." , "that script was for my neck pain, this one is for my back pain. YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS! ARE YOU A STUPID PHARMACIST? YOU ARE AN IDIOT! GIVE ME MY OXYCODONE", "not today, sir"
  9. rxlea

rxlea Unicorn in training Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN Published Author NCPA hSDN Member hSDN Alumni SDN 5+ Year Member
    You don't have to call your patients names....
  10. All4MyDaughter

All4MyDaughter SDN Mommystrator Staff Member Administrator SDN Senior Moderator Lifetime Donor Partner Organization

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist SDN Partner SDN Published Author NCPA Kappa Psi SDN 7+ Year Member

This.

Also, I have been working community pharmacy full time for a year and don't really have too many problems with most of the stuff on this list. I find most of our patients to be very pleasant.
    happyBuddha8 likes this.
  11. pinipig523

pinipig523 I like my job!

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    What if they call you names?
  12. pharm B

pharm B Phar Noir Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor

Resident [Any Field]
    Pharmacist Rocket Scientist hSDN Member hSDN Alumni Navy SDN 5+ Year Member
    I feel like we don't get near enough exposure to the different career options out there. I feel like I do a lot of research on my own, but I still find new job pathways on a regular basis.
  13. pharm B

Resident [Any Field]
    "I'm rubber, you're glue. They're next in line, then I'll get to you."

:shrug: :smuggrin:
  14. ACE Rx

ACE Rx Super Senior Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Likewise, the things I've heard on this crap come up maybe 1 in every 500 patients or so?
  15. rxlea

Resident [Any Field]
    It doesn't phase me. Lots of patients are sick, in pain, or otherwise feel bad. I'm not going to spend the energy to figure out who is having a hard time and who is really a tool. I'd rather let it roll off my back, get the job done, and go on with life.

I wish schools could teach empathy. Being a patient is hard work too...all those doc appointments, remembering meds, etc.

Does it really bother you that much? Honest question.

You're there to do a job. You're going to encounter all types of personalities no matter where you are...and the attitudes/moods of your colleagues aren't always ponies and rainbows, either.
  16. rxlea

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, no kidding! Most patients are ok. And they can tell if you're in a bad mood too. They'll most likely respond negatively if they sense that you don't want to be bothered. Kill them with kindness! A good reflective response usually does the trick. I think the only times it hasn't worked was when someone was literally high on drugs or SMI.
  17. pharm B

Resident [Any Field]
    I know it's preaching to the choir, but so many of the bad attitudes and much of the stress-induced nastiness you see in a retail pharmacy would be lowered if we had better staffing, maybe mandated by law?

CVS runs a barebones skeleton crew at their stores locally, and it's no wonder both the staff and patients are always raging.
  18. rxlea

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree. It makes it difficult and could potentially lead to more errors if there are multiple distractions. I hated working drive thru some days because of the ridiculous requests and subsequent complaining ("can you put a jug of milk through [pneumatic tube]?", "I'll take a pack of virginia slims.", "Can you get me a pack of pampers? I can't come in.") That little bell would ring in my dreams after a bad day :p
  19. Pharmacy Kid

Pharmacy Kid LT Smash

Pharmacy Student
    Public Health Service SDN 5+ Year Member
    Common sense isn't so common . . . unfortunately.
  20. BenJammin

BenJammin No Apologies

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Who cares? A 14 year old girl probably. Not me and hopefully not you.
  21. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine Staff Member Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist SDN Published Author hSDN Member SDN 5+ Year Member
    It's all people ever focus on sadly.

And "what if they call you names"? Really?
  22. Ackj

Ackj

Pharmacist
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Idiot.
  23. bp2313

bp2313 Yummy

SDN 2+ Year Member
    :laugh:
  24. All4MyDaughter

All4MyDaughter SDN Mommystrator Staff Member Administrator SDN Senior Moderator Lifetime Donor Partner Organization

Pharmacist
    I don't think a patient has ever called me a name. LOL. But one did ask me out on Tuesday. It was kind of cute.
  25. pharm B

Resident [Any Field]
    Something they didn't teach us: how to say "no" to unstable psych patients that want to get dinner with you. :laugh:

Edit: One even offered me tickets to a football game and got offended when I still said no.
  26. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun Gold Donor

Pharmacist
    When you're a male pharmacist.

Getting a comment about an attractive female co-worker from a male patient. - My hands form a fist and my eyes go into a glare mode that shouts out, she's mine.

Getting a comment about an attractive female patient from a male patient. - Awkward laughing and internal thought about if only the guy knew that she just picked up a script for gonorrhea treatment.
  27. BenJammin

BenJammin No Apologies

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You must really hate your job. Never dip your pen in the company ink if you enjoy your job.
  28. BMBiology

BMBiology on maternity leave (again)

SDN 10+ Year Member
    The title of this thread should be changed to "things you would have learned working as an intern pharmacist"
  29. NYCGuy86

NYCGuy86

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:LOL!!!
  30. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine Staff Member Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Pharmacist
    Oh so true...
  31. pharmacisttobe

pharmacisttobe

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Not many people have it:scared:
    When I use to work in retail, one of the techs insisted on telling every patient " your prescription will be ready in 15 min" knowing that there is no way in hell it'll be ready by then. I asked her why did she do it and she said the DM instructed everyone to say that. The pharmacist didn't care to correct her and the rest of the techs had to apologize to the waiting patients because their meds weren't ready. Most patients were slightly upset but the gift card took care of the loudest ones.Every once in a while we get the full blown " I WANT ALL MY PRESCRIPTIONS TRANSFERRED NOW"
  32. Sparda29

Pharmacist
    Does that rule still apply even though you knew said attractive co-worker from junior high school and had a crush on her since then and still somehow you guys still managed to work at the same store in the same chain?
  33. pinipig523

pinipig523 I like my job!

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    :laugh::laugh:

What I meant was pharmacists should not have to take that abuse from patients. People can have bad days but to take it out on someone else... that's no fun.
  34. npage148

npage148 Senior Member

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist PhD SDN 7+ Year Member
    You dont learn how angry, jaded and bitter the typical Phamacist is.

You also don't learn how someone can perform so poorly at thei job duties yet be retained by the company. This goes for all levels of pharmacy. Unless you steal, you won't be fired
  35. owlegrad

Pharmacist
    You sound jaded bro. ;)
  36. npage148

npage148 Senior Member

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist PhD SDN 7+ Year Member
    well, I did say most pharmacists.

Another jaded thing:

How to develop the problem solving skills to clean-up all your coworkers mess when all you have is an angry patient and their convoluted story about what is wrong.
  37. owlegrad

Pharmacist
    I didn't say I disagree. :lol:
  38. rph3664

rph3664

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    "I need my atenol, Zorcor, isorbride, and Norvasec."

Yes, we know what you mean. :D
  39. atpsynthase

atpsynthase Protons and Pumps, Baby!

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    :laugh: Yep, yep, yep. And somehow simvastatin gains like... 12 consanants... "Gimme some uh my uh simvasststssssin"
  40. BenJammin

BenJammin No Apologies

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Your damn straight that rule still applies. You're opening yourself to a possible, repeat possible, sexual harrassment issue if it turns out she'd rather lick a bathroom floor than date you. Even if you guys dated but you broke up, thats gonna be a huge PITA if things really go south. Doesn't matter if you knew her since junior high and her parents are your best friends and they think of you as a son etc...if it can go wrong, it probably will go wrong.

Sorry. Just the way I feel. Dating co-workers is dangerous.
  41. All4MyDaughter

Pharmacist
    Simply asking a coworker on a date =/= sexual harassment, even if she declines.
  42. crazybob

crazybob

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I've done that before.

Sooo annoying too.
  43. BenJammin

BenJammin No Apologies

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Sure but that opens the door to claims of sexual harrassment. Language, the wrong look, tone, etc. All of that can and will be misconstrued as something it is not.

It's like a city storm drain, if you will. You may not be jumping in but you are certainly walking around it while it is open. Same with above. He may not be flat out sexually harrassing her but he's opening the door to the possibility of being accused.

You're female so complaints of SA aren't taken as serious as they are for us, generally speaking. We get screwed whether or not we're guilty of it.
  44. All4MyDaughter

Pharmacist

I agree that he shouldn't do it, mostly because I doubt he can pull it off without being lascivious and/or creepy, but just asking someone out doesn't meet the legal standard. The other things you mentioned... language, wrong look, tone of voice... I guess those could be considered sexual harassment under the "hostile" environment definition. But usually it requires something a little more pervasive than just "he looked at me wrong."
  45. StevePerry

StevePerry

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ben Jammin is right on with this point. You gotta CYA at work as a male when it comes to this b/c it can get outta hand and/or go south fast. Our bull**** courts got out of control with the sexual harassment business in the last decades. I'd recommend keeping it relatively asexual at work to protect yourself...
  46. Rockinacoustic

Rockinacoustic

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Fixed :smuggrin:
  47. nycrxdream

nycrxdream Scholar

Pharmacy Student
    NCPA SDN 2+ Year Member
    Def asexual at work. Trying to do that at school.
  48. Sparda29

Pharmacist
    That would not be possible at LIU. There are just too many beautiful women there.
  49. rxlea

Resident [Any Field]
    You're weak. ;)
  50. lauradiddle

lauradiddle OU's Token Longhorn

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    At my hospital, they love to lose things like Ambisome, and I'm not making another dose of that, so I make the nurse go check the fridge one more time while I'm on the line. Usually the nurse goes: "Oh! It is there! The tech must've just delivered it." Me: "No, I'm the tech, and I delivered it two hours ago."

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal