Things you want to do before medical school starts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vantheman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For many of us, we start medical school in less than a year. I have heard from dozens of physicians that I should make sure to have as much fun as possible this last year before school starts.

I am curious what everyone in the same position is planning on doing before school starts.

I am planning on traveling to Europe, going to a 3-day music festival, road trip across the USA, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly? I just want to make some money and try to save as much of it as I can.

Reactions: 11 users
Ah man! Road trips! Concerts! Europe!! It's almost as if you have to have money to do cool stuff!

If I'm accepted I'll only have a semester + summer, so I'll be working and having out with my GF.

Members don't see this ad :)
Work long enough to pay off the credit cards that I used on this whole process. Then go live, rent free, at my parents, sleep till noon everyday, and average a pot of coffee and a book a day.

Reactions: 12 users
I'd really like to travel, but I don't know if it's in the cards. I'm also trying to save as much as I can in the mean time.

Catch up on all the sleep I already missed out on.

I was thinking Australia or sailing around the Carribean

Get back in marathon shape before I spend all day, everyday sitting at a desk. And spend some quality time with my SO.

Get into medical school. That'd be goal #1 :p

Travel, learn another language, finish Game of Thrones, read all the new books I got recently, visit some old friends, visit the profs who wrote my LORs, find a third favorite cake recipe (I already have 2 awesome ones, I want a third epic-level recipe in my head) get back into rock climbing.

Reactions: 4 users
I want to get my motorcycle license and learn how to ski :)

Ah man! Road trips! Concerts! Europe!! It's almost as if you have to have money to do cool stuff!

If I'm accepted I'll only have a semester + summer, so I'll be working and having out with my GF.

I work 60 hours a week and have a decent job, so yes, I do have a paycheck. However, I am still paying off undergrad student loans... But I figure it wont be a bad idea to try to put some of my paycheck towards enjoying myself before school starts.

Reactions: 1 user
Continue working and doing my hobbies/volunteering, then take 2weeks-1month traveling in Central America.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rewatch Grey's Anatomy

Reactions: 6 users
When I saw your post, I thought about The Bucket List. LOL. It's like a person is ending their lives for a good 7 years or more. Yea. Might as well get a head start on the ole bucket list. :D

I plan to read and spend as much time
outside as possible when I'm not savoring moments with friends and family.

I need to learn how to cook. I can make rice, ramen and steak.

Spend time with loved ones

Last edited:
-Ride the Pacific Coast Trail.
-Go on a scuba tour of the south pacific.

Both of which are far more likely to occur between med school and residency than any time before that.

Reactions: 2 users
Here's an idea: get travel scholarships through academic organizations. It can give you a chance to travel the country or even go abroad. For people without much money, this is a viable option as long as you are competitive and proactive.

Check your university for information about summer internships. Depending on the internship location, you can find a variety of cool activities locally such as skydiving and the like. If you get paid a stipend, you can use this money for these activities. Saving up money with your friends in order to take a trip is also a good idea for people without a lot of money.

I'm working on convincing my mom to take a family trip to the Galapagos Islands this spring/summer. I'm starting to think it might actually happen. Or at least, we'll go on some international trip.
I really really want to scuba dive in the Galapagos and meet one of these:
WhaleShark_Diver1-625x309.jpg

Also, I'll be leaving Cleveland forever, I'll probably never come back to this godforsaken city. So I want to take a last opportunity to do things around here, like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and stuff.

traveling! Enjoying my last summer with people I won't see as much if I end up far from home for med school

Travel...I can't even deny how cute I'd look sipping red wine off the coast of Santorini :shifty:

Travel for sure. Trying to decide between Europe and Japan

Wow.. Wish I could afford those fancy vacations lol. When I'm not working I'll be in bed watching Netflix and sleeping half my day away.

Honestly it's not a bad way to do it. You won't have that opportunity in med school haha

post-acceptance pre-matriculation bucket list
dream version: pilot license, hike portion of pacific crest trail, summit rainier, traveling (south america) - learn spanish
realistic version: running a half marathon, cross country road trip, learn to dance/not care about making a fool of myself

What? ditching Cleveland already? :(
Also, I'll be leaving Cleveland forever, I'll probably never come back to this godforsaken city. So I want to take a last opportunity to do things around here, like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and stuff.

I would love to travel but I do not have the funding so if I get accepted I will continue to work as a scribe to at least save a little money for emergencies/moving funds & on my free time I will sleep in, watch TV/movies (especially binge watch the Netflix TV shows I want to see since I know I will not have time to do it in med school), spend time with family/friends, go to the beach since I live in FL, and go shopping. If I am lucky maybe I will get the chance to at least go camping or something

Catch all the pokemon I can , defeat the elite 4 and then bang Misty !

Re-watch the entire season of Revenge
Re-watch the entire season of GOT
Learn how to play the guitar
Travel to Japan
Go back to the Bay Area and visit friends and family

Have a very intense internal debate between leaving the country for the first time and continuing to work.

If I work, I'll have enough money to pay at least a whole year's rent out-of-pocket. But I may not have the chance to travel for a very long time

-Get SCUBA certified with my dad and begin traveling internationally to dive.
-Visit the Philippines.
-Run a half marathon
-Finish all the books on my shelf (~10)
-Bike Highway 1 in California for a week.
-Drink.

I personally have had enough traveling. Want to sit at home and veg. Will continue to work, but as soon as it work starts stressing me out, I'll give a 1 month notice. Looking forward to spending time with family and friends, reading novels, watching TV/movies.

Rock shows, road trips, acting like a three year old around my dog, video games, eating all the food Chicago has to offer, writing music, hanging out with my crew. Annual Ugly sweater Christmas party is also happening again... Who's in the area? :) lol

post-acceptance pre-matriculation bucket list
dream version: pilot license, hike portion of pacific crest trail, summit rainier, traveling (south america) - learn spanish
realistic version: running a half marathon, cross country road trip, learn to dance/not care about making a fool of myself

What? ditching Cleveland already? :(

Hahah some days I love Cleveland. Other days I can't wait to escape it.

Go to Disney World and take a picture with all the princesses in a crown and my med school shirt.
Watch all the Netflix.
Work and get enough money to cover summer rent before loans come in.
Sleep all day.
Get turnt so I can come in like a wrecking ball.

Travel to Europe and eat amazing food
Travel to the SE Asia and eat amazing food
Start running again so I can get in shape for a half/full marathon (will be severely hindered by above two endeavors)

Travel to Europe and eat amazing food
Travel to the SE Asia and eat amazing food
Start running again so I can get in shape for a half/full marathon (will be severely hindered by above two endeavors)

Just consider it well deserved carb-loading.

I am really glad nobody mentioned anything about pre-studying. Because...worst idea. Some good stuff on here. Hope you all have some fun and gets lots of good rest. I am still deciding on my pre-residency fun...

I am really glad nobody mentioned anything about pre-studying. Because...worst idea. Some good stuff on here. Hope you all have some fun and gets lots of good rest. I am still deciding on my pre-residency fun...

Idk, I've kind of reached the stage where I get really anxious if I'm not studying or contributing to improving my application... typical pre-med I guess.

I'll probably do very light pre-study like just reading some textbooks casually.

Idk, I've kind of reached the stage where I get really anxious if I'm not studying or contributing to improving my application... typical pre-med I guess.

I'll probably do very light pre-study like just reading some textbooks casually.

Know that it will not improve a thing, and read some good novels instead. They can even be nonfiction works concerning medicine/healthcare, but don't waste your time prestudying. This is coming from someone who attempted to. I should have taken extra naps. :)

Weird, those three items are all very far apart in difficulty of proper preparation.
My dad made sure I knew how to cook a great steak. He doesn't bother with sides. I am sure I could cook a potato as well.

I'd like to finish the manuscript for my 2nd book (already finished the 1st one and currently sending query letters to publishers), backpack across Europe, and of course save up $$$.