Thinking about becoming a dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I'm 14 years old and I've wanted to be a dentist for years now. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can answer! First can I be accepted into dentistry school without un undergraduate degree? I currently have a 99% average in science and math and was wondering if there are any ways around this if I manage to keep a high average. (I realize college courses are much more difficult than high school but just an idea) Also what subjects would this degree consist of if there i no way around it and how long would it take? Thanks in advance and I apologize for my lack of knowledge!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
First off, welcome to SDN. That's awesome that you're so devoted at a young age. Start shadowing and volunteering at dental events (Mission of Mercy clinics, Team Smile clinics, etc.). The hours you get won't count towards a dental school application because they only care about accomplishments after high school, but it'll still help you.

There are no dental schools that will accept you without an undergraduate degree. Though they do have 7 year early-admission type programs at a couple schools. You take undergrad classes and are pretty much guaranteed acceptance if you meet their requirements. See this forum for more details. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/7-year-dental-programs.315989/. They still require

From a personal perspective, I would advise against trying to do dentistry without an undergraduate degree. I had a 99% average in science and math, valedictorian in high school, and thought it'd be easy to get all A's in college. But I was super wrong. I struggled at first, barely had a 3.0 and had to work my butt off to succeed. Then I fell in love with research and completed a master's degree before dental school. I'm still only 22, but I've accomplished a lot.

Don't miss out on college and learning who you really are as a person. It sounds nice to graduate at a young age from dental school. But a 7-year dental program that is crazy hectic versus a traditional 8 or 9 year path to complete school where you gain more maturity and experiences, is probably a better option.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good job for looking into the profession this early in life (wanting to be a dentist for since you're 13 or 12?)

But here's where the reality comes in. It might make you sad or whatever.

There are schools that take applicants without an undergrad degree but you better be a goddam genius (like, winning the ISEF smart) AND escaped from NK. So look to college to get a degree. If you really dont want to get a degree, go Pharmacy or vocational schools. You can get an undergrad degree in 4 years, that's how long normal college students go to school for. You can get it in 3 or 5 years too depending on how much you enjoy your school (ehem, parties).

Im sorry to burst your bubble that any idiot can maintain an A in highschool. I did in all of my classes, and I slept through all of them. Hell, even college intro courses are cakewalks. The REAL test of your scientific knowledge will from higher level science courses, including Biochemistry, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Organic Chemistry, Genetics, Anatomy and Physiology (may or may not include Physical Chemistry and Advance Inorganic Chemistry). Dental schools will also be looking at how well you did in those courses to determine how well you can handle pre-doctoral level courses.

My advice, worry about college first. Take your time and do college right. Whatever you do in college will effect the rest of your academic life, no more do overs. I had a friend who went into a 7 year MD program from high school and stop the program after 3 years and took her undergrad degree and is doing something else now. Explore all that the world has to offer. Dont get narrowsighted.

Now, excuse me while I go throw up.

Reactions: 1 users
Since everyone here has told you to not do the 7 year programs, I'll say the complete opposite! As everyone mentioned here so far, college is tough! People with high grades in high school no always do good in undergrad. Since you already know you want to be a dentist, I say go for the 7 year programs. Some schools even offer 6 year programs! My advice is to make sure you want to do these reduced year(s) programs. They're intriguing because everyone wants to be done with school fast! But you want to make sure you can handle the course work. Some people go into these programs and it's too fast paced for them and they tend to flunk out and have an extremely hard time bringing their GPA back up. If you are self disciplined and focused you can achieve this goal! I know a BUNCH of people who did 6 year and 7 year programs so it's definitely doable for those that are certain they want to do dentistry :)

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with @predent808 , if you really do know you want to be a dentist by the time you enter college (Shadow a LOT of things) then go for it. I will be finishing my degree in Biochemistry as a junior and I took my DAT as a sophomore so I wish I either applied early or did a 7 year program. But I didn't know I wanted to become a dentist till last year and I didn't know I was done with my major, I just doubled up on courses.

Okay so I'm 14 years old and I've wanted to be a dentist for years now. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can answer! First can I be accepted into dentistry school without un undergraduate degree? I currently have a 99% average in science and math and was wondering if there are any ways around this if I manage to keep a high average. (I realize college courses are much more difficult than high school but just an idea) Also what subjects would this degree consist of if there i no way around it and how long would it take? Thanks in advance and I apologize for my lack of knowledge!

Your best bet is to finish highschool and get into a college that has an accelerated program. That would be a great route, but can be difficult (I'm talking about the 7 year programs Bachelors+DDS). Besides that yes, technically you can get into a dental school without a bachelors degree, but for instance on average 1 our of 110 students in my state school get into it without a degree. If you're comfortable with these sorts of statistics by all means do it. As far as the classes that are needed, just google prerequisites for the schools you'd like to go to. It all depends on each school. Some schools do required a bachelors degree, so keep that in mind and do your homework. But you've got so much time don't even think twice about dental school yet, not until you are in your senior year of highschool. The only thing you could really do that could help you right now (besides good grades to get into a good college), is to shadow a dentist whenever you get a chance.

I think it's wiser to take the college route because you get a chance to either confirm your aspiration to become a dentist or fall in love with another profession. I don't know about you but, I'd still want to keep other options open depending on where all the hot girls are going (haha jk). Also, for me, taking classes is like running, you start small and go bigger. You don't automatically run 12 miles the first time you get off the couch (tried it, couldn't even walk 1 mile without panting lol). Once you build up that endurance, you can prevent burn-out in both your dental academics as well as dental career. Good luck. ^^

There are definitely schools that take you without an undergraduate degree and you don't need to have a perfect DAT and Gpa. I've met a couple people who have gone to dental school in such a situation.

I say do your best to go that route if you are in such a hurry. ( I don't think it is worth the extra year to put that much stress) and if you don't get in you have another year to try before you even finish undergrad. (If rushing causes your GPA to drop significantly that's a different story)

I think it's wiser to take the college route because you get a chance to either confirm your aspiration to become a dentist or fall in love with another profession. I don't know about you but, I'd still want to keep other options open depending on where all the hot girls are going (haha jk). Also, for me, taking classes is like running, you start small and go bigger. You don't automatically run 12 miles the first time you get off the couch (tried it, couldn't even walk 1 mile without panting lol). Once you build up that endurance, you can prevent burn-out in both your dental academics as well as dental career. Good luck. ^^

Truth tho. Dental girls are much hotter than med girls at my school.

It's never a good idea to let others pigeonhole you, let alone pigeonhole-ing yourself.

Between now and the time you reach the age of consent, you could well be changing your mind about which field of study you want to pursue on a monthly basis.
_______

Early admission programs are not accelerated programs; they are simply structured programs.