Thinking of applying to DO school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iheartmcats

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just completed graduate school in July. I'm re-considering medical school (DO specifically). How competitive would I be?

My stats are:
Undergrad GPA: 3.36
Grad GPA: 3.6
MCAT in 2011 before I went to grad school: 33

I know I have to retake the MCAT again, and I am hoping I can take it in early January.
I haven't had any recent clinical or shadowing experience. If I shadowed somebody for 3 months and then applied right after I took the MCAT, would I be competitive at any DO schools? I know a lot of DO schools do rolling enrollment, how difficult would it be for me to get in for the Fall 2015 cycle?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Great MCAT score, great chance for DO if you can repeat a 33, surprise me that u did not apply back then with that MCAT score. I think you will be fine with 3 months of shadowing prior to apply. I just begin to shadow this May for this cycle

I just completed graduate school in July. I'm re-considering medical school (DO specifically). How competitive would I be?

My stats are:
Undergrad GPA: 3.36
Grad GPA: 3.6
MCAT in 2011 before I went to grad school: 33

I know I have to retake the MCAT again, and I am hoping I can take it in early January.
I haven't had any recent clinical or shadowing experience. If I shadowed somebody for 3 months and then applied right after I took the MCAT, would I be competitive at any DO schools? I know a lot of DO schools do rolling enrollment, how difficult would it be for me to get in for the Fall 2015 cycle?

Thanks.
You mean apply to matriculate in Fall 2015? Because that's not happening.
If you had a current MCAT in hand and if you had some shadowing experience and if you submitted a DO app ASAP, you might have a chance, but it'd be a really slim one. In August this year there were already more applicants than last year, and they've continued coming in. Admissions offices everywhere are swamped.
For you to submit an app in the next month that won't be complete until February (after all interview slots have been given out) would just be a waste of money.

However, if you retake the MCAT in January (do you have a test date? because they're pretty much all booked now) and shadow now through the spring, you would have a better shot with an early app next cycle (to matriculate in Fall 2016).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Will give me more time to study for the MCAT, and to improve my extracurriculars.

In that case, how should I improve my app before I apply? Especially in regards to clinical experience. Thanks.

What do your ECs otherwise look like? I'd probably get some sort of long-term clinical volunteering (that you would be interested in continuing even if you don't get in this cycle) started ASAP. I got into my top choice DO schools just fine with 1 full week (~50 hours) of shadowing every day from when the clinic opened till the time it closed. IMO, this gives you a better picture of what the lifestyle and work is like as opposed to a few hours per week over a long period of time. And a good conversation with the doctor about how he or she integrates osteopathic principles into practice will help.

If you're applying this cycle, improving your app now is not really possible, considering you're already running late. I'd focus on getting everything in order for an application, and if you have a chance to jump on some medical volunteering immediately then stick that in there too, although then it looks pretty obvious that you did it just to fill a blank.

However, if you have past clinical experience and work experience since, you can always talk about how being away from clinical experiences made you realize just how much you wanted to go into medicine. I use that even now, as I'm going through residency interviews...started off pre-med, life happened, got job, realized life wasn't complete outside of medicine, took classes/worked to get back on track. It's all in the presentation, and PS is a great opportunity for this. ;)

In that case, how should I improve my app before I apply? Especially in regards to clinical experience. Thanks.

You should just apply broadly now if you have the money. Apply to any school your MCAT is accepted at, but be sure to contact schools to verify they will accept it. I think you could get in outright this cycle if you apply right now to enough schools. You can work on your ECs after you submit your app, at this point you just need to submit it before it gets too late in the cycle.

If you don't get in this cycle, you'll have to retake the MCAT, which makes it even more important that you apply now, especially if you don't mind where you go that much (your options are limited based on how old your MCAT is).

Just make sure you take it before January is over, as it's the last month you can take the current MCAT. If you bomb it, you're looking at a whole new beast of a test.