Thinking of going to Medical school when my daughter graduate from high school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ana Maria

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello ! I am a 42yrs old working professional thinking of going to medical school. I work full time.

Education:
BS in chemistry 1995
MS in Biomedical Science 1998
MBA International Business 2001

Work Experience:
8 yrs medical research, one publication
10 yrs pharmaceutical Industry( pharmaceutical representative )

I did all my pre-med courses in the past but did not go to medical school. The courses are over 15 yrs ago.
I am thinking of going to medical school now that my daughter is a teenager and will be going to college soon. I need to know if I need to take the pre med courses again or schools will accept those courses. I know that I can take General Biology, Chemistry, Physics etc.. Online to refresh all the material while studying also for the MCAT. I would like to start medical school at 45yrs. Is this a good idea? Any advice or suggestion? Should I go for it?

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

Only you can judge if starting medical school in your 40s is the right choice. Certainly other people have done so successfully.

However, you will have to retake at least some coursework with labs (not online), possibly all of the prereqs. Schools vary in their willingness to take old coursework but 15+ years is very old as these things go and they will want recent evidence that you can succeed in the classroom. Do not take the MCAT until you have determined the appropriate timeline for applying once you have factored in retaking courses.

You didn't post your GPA, which is also a critical piece of information for figuring out appropriate next steps.

Yes you can. But then only you can decide that. And once you decide, you need to be fully in, committed, obsessed and crazy about it. Many people will discourage you. The roads will be rocky. So decide within yourself first, do your research, conclude and solidify your mind before discussing it with everyone in your life.

Also beware of negative people and people that don't believe in you or know you enough to know what you can do or not do. Only you can decide what's good for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am fond of saying that some of my all-time best studetns have been in thier 30s and 40s. So yes, go for it. Try some patient contact volunteer experience first.
Hi Adcom, I hope to be your all-time best student :soexcited:

You'll have some very stiff competition!
I will conquer all of them, you'll see. Im just that awesome. I'll prove it to you!!

Hello ! I am a 42yrs old working professional thinking of going to medical school. I work full time.

Education:
BS in chemistry 1995
MS in Biomedical Science 1998
MBA International Business 2001

Work Experience:
8 yrs medical research, one publication
10 yrs pharmaceutical Industry( pharmaceutical representative )

I did all my pre-med courses in the past but did not go to medical school. The courses are over 15 yrs ago.
I am thinking of going to medical school now that my daughter is a teenager and will be going to college soon. I need to know if I need to take the pre med courses again or schools will accept those courses. I know that I can take General Biology, Chemistry, Physics etc.. Online to refresh all the material while studying also for the MCAT. I would like to start medical school at 45yrs. Is this a good idea? Any advice or suggestion? Should I go for it?

Thank you,
Only you can judge if starting medical school in your 40s is the right choice. Certainly other people have done so successfully.

However, you will have to retake at least some coursework with labs (not online), possibly all of the prereqs. Schools vary in their willingness to take old coursework but 15+ years is very old as these things go and they will want recent evidence that you can succeed in the classroom. Do not take the MCAT until you have determined the appropriate timeline for applying once you have factored in retaking courses.

You didn't post your GPA, which is also a critical piece of information for figuring out appropriate next steps.
Thank you for your advice.

Your advice is greatly appreciated. I don't have the GPA for my Master in Biological Sciences or MBA available. I need to request them. I did very well in both Masters.

Here is my undergraduate GPA

BS in Chemistry Cum GPA- 3.007
BA of Arts & Science major Chemistry and Spanish cum GPA 3.119

Intro to Chemistry I - C
Intro to Chemistry II - C +
Principle of Biology B+
Principle of Biology B+
Organic Chemistry - C
Organic Chemistry II - C
Physics I - B
Physics II - B

I took this pre-med courses between 1991-1994. Please let me know if I should take this courses again. Do you suggest a Community College or University.

Your advice is greatly appreciated. I don't have the GPA for my Master in Biological Sciences or MBA available. I need to request them. I did very well in both Masters.

Here is my undergraduate GPA

BS in Chemistry Cum GPA- 3.007
BA of Arts & Science major Chemistry and Spanish cum GPA 3.119

Intro to Chemistry I - C
Intro to Chemistry II - C +
Principle of Biology B+
Principle of Biology B+
Organic Chemistry - C
Organic Chemistry II - C
Physics I - B
Physics II - B

I took this pre-med courses between 1991-1994. Please let me know if I should take this courses again. Do you suggest a Community College or University.

Yes, you should retake all of these. Undergraduate GPA is what matters the most for medical school admissions, unfortunately for you, not graduate GPA. So although it's good that you have good graduate GPAs your undergraduate GPA at the moment is very low for premeds and not competitive. You need to show medical schools that you are ready for their classes.

The good news is that with these classes being so far in the past, if you do redo them and get As, it will be looked on very favorably. MD schools will average ALL grades you have ever taken, but DO schools allow grade replacement if you retake a class--so your GPA for DO schools will be higher than for MD schools.

It is best if you take the classes at a 4-year college. Some schools will not take community college courses, although some will. Overall it is better to take prereqs at a four-year institution if you can.

Good luck!

Yes, you would need to retake all of your prereq courses (and probably a few upper division classes like biochem as well). As for whether you should do it, well, you tell us. Why do you want to go to med school? If you don't have a good reason, then no, you shouldn't do it. If you do have a good reason, even then maybe you still shouldn't do it. It's a case by case decision.

Hello Ana Maria. It's true only YOU can answer the question 'should I do it?" in reference to becoming a Physician. I'll be 48 when I start med school. IF...and I do mean IF you have already done your research and decided medicine is your passion, I'd say do it.....but please, for your patients sake, make sure you are passionate about caring for people. There is nothing more unappealing when a person complains that they could "just tell" their Doctor wasn't truly compassionate about their healthcare needs.

Make sure your finances are in order. EVERYONE is going to question your reasons for changing professions in your 40s. Unless you have ample funding to last the next 10 years, you are most likely going to need loans for med school and beyond like moving for residency, down payment on an apartment, furniture, cleaning and laundry supplies..etc. Hopefully your (reliable) car is paid off and you have no credit card debt. A lot of students don't think about these things and realize hardships once academics are done.

Understand residency: Have you ever worked 30 hours straight without sleeping or eating well WHILE making important decisions? Think about deadliest catch in the bearing sea...crab boat crews. Those are some tough souls. From what others have told me you need to have the ability to operate well under pressure for LONG periods. Thankfully I've spent the last 3.5 years working in the oil fields in ND 14 to 18 hour shifts 6 days a week then 1 to 2 days off to help me prepare.

MCAT scores and grades are but two, although very important, attributes when applying to med school. Be prepared to answer:
1. Why do you want to be a Physician
2. Describe your positive attributes and adversities overcome
3. Where do you see yourself in 10 years
4. What area of medicine do you want to practice
5. Greatest strengths
6. Greatest weakness
7. What are your experiences in the medical field
8. What are your hobbies outside medicine
9. What medical schools are you applying
10. What are the greatest challenges facing healthcare (I'd stay politically neutral)

Since adcoms are smart people they are going to "consider the source" when they listen to your answer. They are not going to expect to hear what a 23 year old might say, they are going to expect an answer from a 40+ seasoned professional...taking in to consideration that you've had over two decades to formulate your answers. This is your time to shine!! I wouldn't dwell on the past. I'd make sure the adcom knows you are serious about your professional education and how you will make a positive contribution to medicine using your (past) years of professional and life experience as a guide to your exciting future!

I know it's easy to think: " I don't have a shot in heXX" because I'm old(er)......this is not always true. Medical schools realize older students add value to their programs by creating diversity. Young people learn through a variety of examples, some academic some life experiences. They also understand you've had ample time to think about your life and where you are headed professionally.

Once mentally, financially and physically prepared....charge on if you are passionate about caring for people. I know I am.

Robert (class of 20 20 something)