Thinking of Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virajpatel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been contemplating a career in optometry. I have not really shadowed much in the field so I will be getting some experience starting this semester to really get a feel. What kind of shadowing opportunities should I be looking for? Private practice? Commercial?

I have 3.11 GPA from Wayne State and am a psychology major. My science GPA is 2.94 but I am taking 6 post bacc credits this semester to raise that and I will take some more next semester to raise it even more.

Additionally, if I am find that I am interested I will begin studying for the OAT this semester and taking it sometime next year before the applications open up so I have my score before applying. I have taken the DAT before and did well on 22AA so I was wondering apart from the physics so I implement the same study techniques and can I use the same study materials?

What do you believe my chances to be at Optometry school if I raise my GPA a bit and do well on the OAT? Also, do optometry schools want post bacc students to have certain course load or are they just looking for a good GPA because I don't intend on being full time next semester either?

CHANCE ME PEOPLE!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.