Thinking of pursuing Dentistry.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5RWill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i've been pursuing Medicine since i was a young really or been steered down that road. Grandfather was a general surgeon, not that necessarily has that much influence. Didn't really know that i wanted to do the whole medicine route until my junior year, shadowing a cardiovascular surgeon in South Carolina. It opened my eyes to medicine and i finally found the spark i was looking for. That gut feeling, adrenaline rush, and pure excitement that is indescribable that i felt was missing throughout my first two years of college. I graduated Dec 2013 at 22, about six months late from Mississippi State University. This was due to the fact i went to Ole Miss my sophomore year and fell behind. Graduated with a 3.67 overall and 3.6 BCMP with a B.S. in Biological Sciences. Since then i spent five months working as a tech in a Behavioral health, got out and have recently landed a job as an ER tech. These provided me lots of experience on a medical floor and clinical setting, paired with my shadowing. Haven't taken the MCAT yet (long overdue i know but i didn't finish Physics till my senior year, hence the wait) Studied for three months while working in Behavioral Health and fell behind at the end. Though i finished everything and the highest full length score i made was a 26. Which i was satisfied with, if i were to continue pursuing medicine i was really shooting for a 27-30. Anyhow i didn't take it and told myself i was going to take a brake, take it later in 2014 before it changes. So here i am studying again, having a hard time i must admit getting back into putting in 3-6 hours a day but i think some of that is attributed to being full time ER, on night shift. My days off are sort of screwed up. The part of medicine that i truly love is the OR, it's what i've shadowed mostly and it's just where my passion is. I've been set on cardiovascular surgery or thoracic surgery since my first shadow. Despite most physicians telling me the lifestyle wasn't worth it.

So here we are at the present, and i'm sure your wondering where is Dentistry coming into this equation. Well i'm a very family oriented person. I thoroughly enjoy going home and spending time with my family. Something that i intend to instill in my family whenever i have one. So the lifestyle is starting to look very appealing to me. I've been looking at all the requirements and other than taking the DAT and shadowing i'd pretty much be going down the same road of acceptance into a professional school. After working in the industry for approaching a year, the lifestyle is becoming apparent to me. I don't know that the passion is all there in Dentistry like it is with surgery, but i feel it wouldn't bother me to do dental work. It is still hands on work and there is always (what i would coin the best of both world) OMFS. Part of me wants to say this is stemming from not feeling like studying for the MCAT again but honestly it's just the truth. There are things i want to be able to do in my life (and this could be immaturity talking, because at the present i can't do them) that i just can't see myself doing as a physician due to the lifestyle, being constantly tied to your work year in year out.

I know this is a repetitive topic, it comes up all the time on this forum as i've googled this several times and it's led me here. So i figured it was time to register and get some other opinions on the matter.

Thanks for your time,

William

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, dentistry sounds better to me in your situation. Shadowing surgeons is always glamorous...especially if you're only in the OR with them...but the amount of work this surgeon put in to get to that point, and the fact that medicine's future is so uncertain, with nothing looking good...it's hard to suggest a surgical specialty unless you flat out love it and breathe it and would do it for 200-300k

Do dentistry and specialize. The money is great, the hours are great, there are a ton of unique choices...and worst comes to worst do a 6 yr omfs program and boom, you're a real surgeon again (but w the same amount of work or morw you would've put in anyway)

That's what I'm thinking. Was looking at UMMC and UT's dental schools and the requirements were essentially the same. Though I will have some serious shadowing hours to make up on. Though that wouldn't be a problem. I know two dentist at home and was supposed to shadow OMFS here. I now work at the hospital so getting a hold of the OMFS wouldn't be an issue.

While admittedly I'm lacking in the "leadership" department as well as some community service. I have lots of experience on a medical floor and a clinical setting. Whether that would actually account for anything applying to dental school is another question.

Tonight has been a long night so far in the ER but I have loved it. That said there is no denying dentistry is more appealing.

Less money to borrow, time in school, good pay, less stress, the list goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
certain OMFS programs will make you take the USMLE and get the MD regardless.

That's what I'm thinking. Was looking at UMMC and UT's dental schools and the requirements were essentially the same. Though I will have some serious shadowing hours to make up on. Though that wouldn't be a problem. I know two dentist at home and was supposed to shadow OMFS here. I now work at the hospital so getting a hold of the OMFS wouldn't be an issue.

While admittedly I'm lacking in the "leadership" department as well as some community service. I have lots of experience on a medical floor and a clinical setting. Whether that would actually account for anything applying to dental school is another question.

Tonight has been a long night so far in the ER but I have loved it. That said there is no denying dentistry is more appealing.

Less money to borrow, time in school, good pay, less stress, the list goes on.

Actually, you would have to borrow more money because dental school is significantly more expensive, and you need to buy a practice, which is more debt. But everything else I agree with.

I didn't know dental school was more expensive. UMMCs program was roughly 25,000 a year in tuition. I hadn't looked at med school tuition but I figured dental was significantly less for some reason. There is no doubt setting up a practice will be taking on a great deal of debt. For a while I had planned to do the same with med though private practice for medicine it seems IMO to be thinning out. Or the future of healthcare sure seems to convey that it will.

Last edited:
Looking at OMFS it looks pretty awesome. I think I'd really enjoy some of the surgeries they do. Going to shadow my local OMFS in the OR and talk to him.

My dads an orthopedic. I shadowed him in the OR for the first time earlier this year. I've been shadowing OMFS residents for a few months lately too.

I've gone back and forth, but dentistry keeps coming out on top. My dad has money but I want a better life. I love him, but he's in his third marriage and I'm the only kid out of four who still talks to him. MD's--as a professional group--are so fractured by specialties, corporations, and insurance companies--they've totally lost control of their industry and I don't know what the next evolution is.

That might be the inevitable future of dentistry as well, but in the meantime they've still kept a reasonable quality of life, free-time wise. I'm gathering my spirits right now to invest myself into OMFS.

And if I don't make it? Well I'll be a dentist. That's better than the poor kids that don't match into the medical residency they want. They probably have to settle for years more training in something they don't want. Dentists? They can go make 120k for a year while they consider trying again.

Edit: also, dentistry and OMFS in particular are still a little shielded from pre-professional students realizing how awesome they are. Most of the pre-med kids I know are still stuck in some impressionistic, image-based love affair with medicine. They don't realize what their life is really going to be like. So simply having the opportunity and maturity to consider your real day-to-day future and compare fields makes you fortunate.

I was just talking to an OMFS resident the other day. His mom was a nurse and turned him off orthopedics and into oral surgery. He says he felt so lucky to have that perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got around to shadowing a local Dentist that i go to and have known my entire life. Really enjoyed it. Got to see implants and a crown. So i'm pretty much sold. Already making plans to start studying in a month or so.

I wonder though, all the things i've used to build an application for med school, like my shadowing hours in medicine, and working hours in Psych and the ER, are they worth anything now? I have over 500hrs working in behavioral health, and will have over 1000hrs working in the ER this time next year. Don't exactly plan to leave my job right now as it pays well for a job that doesn't require a degree.

Parts i'm lacking on volunteer hours and a leadership role, the volunteer hours wont be hard to really get i don't think. Not sure how to exemplify a leadership role.

Reactions: 1 user
Parts i'm lacking on volunteer hours and a leadership role, the volunteer hours wont be hard to really get i don't think. Not sure how to exemplify a leadership role.

When you say 'start studying' do you just mean DAT prep or are you taking more classes? If the latter, you might go around to a few professors and ask if they need help in lecture or lab for anything. You don't need to be a graduate TA to get that opportunity. I finished a degree a couple years ago and have gone back this year for just undergrad prerequisites. It's a new school I've only attended for a few months, but two professor have approached me to assist in chemistry--this semester I'm answering questions in lecture and helping with in-class assignments, next semester I'll be doing the same for organic lab. Not too glamorous, but it's something.

Otherwise...to some extent "pre-existing leadership opportunity" is an oxymoron, so you might just have to get creative. Consider ways to leverage your job maybe. There's always charity fundraising activities.

But don't lose too much sleep over it. DAT + GPA seems to rule according to all the advice I've gotten.

When you say 'start studying' do you just mean DAT prep or are you taking more classes? If the latter, you might go around to a few professors and ask if they need help in lecture or lab for anything. You don't need to be a graduate TA to get that opportunity. I finished a degree a couple years ago and have gone back this year for just undergrad prerequisites. It's a new school I've only attended for a few months, but two professor have approached me to assist in chemistry--this semester I'm answering questions in lecture and helping with in-class assignments, next semester I'll be doing the same for organic lab. Not too glamorous, but it's something.

Otherwise...to some extent "pre-existing leadership opportunity" is an oxymoron, so you might just have to get creative. Consider ways to leverage your job maybe. There's always charity fundraising activities.

But don't lose too much sleep over it. DAT + GPA seems to rule according to all the advice I've gotten.

I mean just studying for the DAT and building an application. I've got all the pre-requisites, less i missed something.

What I'm also wondering is where my 1500-2000 hours on a med floor is going to come in. I mean it's not necessarily dentistry or oral healthcare oriented but if anything it screams interpersonal skills being able to deal with everything from mental health patients to everything in the ER.

UMMC has specific requirements for dental school which I found odd. I say this because med was the exact opposite with no specific requirements. They expect 100hrs of shadowing minimum with at least four different dentist and the same for volunteering. It's strange to me med school had no set amount for anything.

First and foremost I'm going to start studying in January. Working up the funds to grab some DAT books. Shadowing hours won't be too hard to come by.

One thing I did like was that both UT and UMMC took a serious look at your last 30 semester hours of your undergraduate career, which is when I got serious and only had one B throughout.

Id like a solid 19-21 on the DAT help compensate with my GPA being a 3.67.

Any experience in health care is a plus. I was in the same position as you, with thousands of hours in a direct care position. Ended up taking about my work experience at all of my interviews, and they ate it right up. You're in great shape to get into the school of your choice.

Glad to hear it I was beginning to get worried. I have a lot I've done for med that I pretty much intend to use on the dental application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean just studying for the DAT and building an application. I've got all the pre-requisites, less i missed something.

What I'm also wondering is where my 1500-2000 hours on a med floor is going to come in. I mean it's not necessarily dentistry or oral healthcare oriented but if anything it screams interpersonal skills being able to deal with everything from mental health patients to everything in the ER.

UMMC has specific requirements for dental school which I found odd. I say this because med was the exact opposite with no specific requirements. They expect 100hrs of shadowing minimum with at least four different dentist and the same for volunteering. It's strange to me med school had no set amount for anything.

First and foremost I'm going to start studying in January. Working up the funds to grab some DAT books. Shadowing hours won't be too hard to come by.

One thing I did like was that both UT and UMMC took a serious look at your last 30 semester hours of your undergraduate career, which is when I got serious and only had one B throughout.

Id like a solid 19-21 on the DAT help compensate with my GPA being a 3.67.

You seem to have the exact right motivations for making the switch from medicine to dentistry. The hours you have accumulated shadowing all those physicians will absolutely help because it shows you have experienced both medicine and dentistry. It shows maturity and a levelheaded approach to making very consequential decisions.

You and I are very similar.

OMFS for life.

I'm pretty positive OMFS will be the route i go or attempt to go. I guess i can't say it's set in stone until i get there but after last night i just know i want surgery. Was working ER last night per usual and we had case come in that required a couple of the staff help in the OR because they were short handed and i got to go. OR has always been my "thing" i guess, it's without a doubt what really got me into healthcare. Don't want to sound like an adrenaline junkie but that rush that you get from those situations is indescribable. DAT destroyer comes in this week.

Doing more digging on OMFS there is just so much flexibility, from cosmetic facial surgery to tooth extractions or implants, while its certainly a specific field there is certainly much to do. From what i understand they're on call at all Level 1 trauma facilities which sounds exciting.

I am currently trying to get the HPSP and going the military route. You get to do some really cool stuff in the military.

It's not everyday you get to reconstruct a jaw of a US Marine who survived a .50 to the face.

So i've been pursuing Medicine since i was a young really or been steered down that road. Grandfather was a general surgeon, not that necessarily has that much influence. Didn't really know that i wanted to do the whole medicine route until my junior year, shadowing a cardiovascular surgeon in South Carolina. It opened my eyes to medicine and i finally found the spark i was looking for. That gut feeling, adrenaline rush, and pure excitement that is indescribable that i felt was missing throughout my first two years of college. I graduated Dec 2013 at 22, about six months late from Mississippi State University. This was due to the fact i went to Ole Miss my sophomore year and fell behind. Graduated with a 3.67 overall and 3.6 BCMP with a B.S. in Biological Sciences. Since then i spent five months working as a tech in a Behavioral health, got out and have recently landed a job as an ER tech. These provided me lots of experience on a medical floor and clinical setting, paired with my shadowing. Haven't taken the MCAT yet (long overdue i know but i didn't finish Physics till my senior year, hence the wait) Studied for three months while working in Behavioral Health and fell behind at the end. Though i finished everything and the highest full length score i made was a 26. Which i was satisfied with, if i were to continue pursuing medicine i was really shooting for a 27-30. Anyhow i didn't take it and told myself i was going to take a brake, take it later in 2014 before it changes. So here i am studying again, having a hard time i must admit getting back into putting in 3-6 hours a day but i think some of that is attributed to being full time ER, on night shift. My days off are sort of screwed up. The part of medicine that i truly love is the OR, it's what i've shadowed mostly and it's just where my passion is. I've been set on cardiovascular surgery or thoracic surgery since my first shadow. Despite most physicians telling me the lifestyle wasn't worth it.

So here we are at the present, and i'm sure your wondering where is Dentistry coming into this equation. Well i'm a very family oriented person. I thoroughly enjoy going home and spending time with my family. Something that i intend to instill in my family whenever i have one. So the lifestyle is starting to look very appealing to me. I've been looking at all the requirements and other than taking the DAT and shadowing i'd pretty much be going down the same road of acceptance into a professional school. After working in the industry for approaching a year, the lifestyle is becoming apparent to me. I don't know that the passion is all there in Dentistry like it is with surgery, but i feel it wouldn't bother me to do dental work. It is still hands on work and there is always (what i would coin the best of both world) OMFS. Part of me wants to say this is stemming from not feeling like studying for the MCAT again but honestly it's just the truth. There are things i want to be able to do in my life (and this could be immaturity talking, because at the present i can't do them) that i just can't see myself doing as a physician due to the lifestyle, being constantly tied to your work year in year out.

I know this is a repetitive topic, it comes up all the time on this forum as i've googled this several times and it's led me here. So i figured it was time to register and get some other opinions on the matter.

Thanks for your time,

William

Hi. Interesting topic since I have shadowed both MD's and dentists as well. I just took the mcat december 6th, and will get my scores back later this week. I was averaging 31-32 on the practice tests, so hope to score around there. But anyways after I get my scores back if I do well I plan to then study about a month for the DAT and take that. I then want to sit down and make a decision knowing I have the option to go both routes, (fortunately my gpa is 3.9 so should be okay either way as far as that goes) and I feel this will allow me to truly make the right decision. I think I have been where you are. It seems like you got discouraged by the MCAT. Its happened to me as well. You essentially need a 30 to have a shot at allopathic (MD) schools, so it sounds like you weren't quite there yet based on your practice tests. I hope this isn't what all of a sudden turned you on to dentistry. I feel you should take the mcat when you are averaging at least a 30 on the practice tests, get scores back and then take the dat. You are ruling out medicine but haven't even taken mcat, and to be honest it sounds like you got spooked by the test. Again I got scared plenty in my prep. I just want to see you make the best decision for you, not cause of a test. Take both tests, do well enough on both and then make the decision. This is a foolproof way I feel cause you legitimately had the option to go both ways. I wouldn't want you to look back and think "what if?"

I don't know that i feared the MCAT that much, what i certainly didn't like was that it was changing, and was putting pressure on me to do good now. I was shooting for 27-30. I made 23, 23, and 26 on my last three full lengths. I admit i was getting a little burnt out by the third month and taking a week break or so was not a good idea ever. Coupled with the changing schedule i was on, i was exhausted, that's just part of it though. I'm full time night shift now and it's not going to get any better. I'm honestly more fearful of the DAT because i have been prepping for the MCAT so i'm kind of in a critical thinking mindset and having never looked at the DAT i'm not sure what to expect. I know what to expect with the MCAT.

But no i don't think it's what turned me to dentistry. What i see in dentistry is a clinical setting that is very much hands on rather than just diagnosis and not in near the financial crisis medicine seems to be in. Working in the ER and having to work holidays also opened my eyes. Granted there are plenty of jobs for an MD or DO that wouldn't require that. That being said i'm there all the time, i see first hand the lifestyle a surgeon lives, hell i'm the one who has to call them and wake them up half the time. I'm not saying i wouldn't be willing to do what they do for my love of surgery but i certainly wouldn't want to be doing it all the time for the next 20 years, it takes it's toll. And yes there are certain surgeons that don't have that lifestyle of being constantly on call. ENT comes to mind, but it's not something that interested me to much. There is also the fact that in the event i decide not to specialize or don't get accepted into the specialty of my choice, i'm perfectly content with a DDS. You get to do some pretty awesome procedures in a dental clinic.

OMFS strikes me as the best of both worlds. If you want you can do routine surgeries and clinical work, or you can stay OR and be on call for major trauma cases. It has some great versatility for a specialty. What ultimately turned me to dentistry was thinking about my actual life and family outside of the job. In that criteria medicine doesn't even compare. Though OMFS would like i said be a blend of both really. There would still be call, surgeries, but mostly clinical work if i could manage that. IIRC that's what the OMFS does here. Surgeries every tuesday, clinic the rest of the week.

I might do that though, granted i'd have to change my MCAT books now that the test has changed. It's not a bad idea.

This specific OMS/OMFS case was pretty freaking awesome.

I don't know that i feared the MCAT that much, what i certainly didn't like was that it was changing, and was putting pressure on me to do good now. I was shooting for 27-30. I made 23, 23, and 26 on my last three full lengths. I admit i was getting a little burnt out by the third month and taking a week break or so was not a good idea ever. Coupled with the changing schedule i was on, i was exhausted, that's just part of it though. I'm full time night shift now and it's not going to get any better. I'm honestly more fearful of the DAT because i have been prepping for the MCAT so i'm kind of in a critical thinking mindset and having never looked at the DAT i'm not sure what to expect. I know what to expect with the MCAT.

But no i don't think it's what turned me to dentistry. What i see in dentistry is a clinical setting that is very much hands on rather than just diagnosis and not in near the financial crisis medicine seems to be in. Working in the ER and having to work holidays also opened my eyes. Granted there are plenty of jobs for an MD or DO that wouldn't require that. That being said i'm there all the time, i see first hand the lifestyle a surgeon lives, hell i'm the one who has to call them and wake them up half the time. I'm not saying i wouldn't be willing to do what they do for my love of surgery but i certainly wouldn't want to be doing it all the time for the next 20 years, it takes it's toll. And yes there are certain surgeons that don't have that lifestyle of being constantly on call. ENT comes to mind, but it's not something that interested me to much. There is also the fact that in the event i decide not to specialize or don't get accepted into the specialty of my choice, i'm perfectly content with a DDS. You get to do some pretty awesome procedures in a dental clinic.

OMFS strikes me as the best of both worlds. If you want you can do routine surgeries and clinical work, or you can stay OR and be on call for major trauma cases. It has some great versatility for a specialty. What ultimately turned me to dentistry was thinking about my actual life and family outside of the job. In that criteria medicine doesn't even compare. Though OMFS would like i said be a blend of both really. There would still be call, surgeries, but mostly clinical work if i could manage that. IIRC that's what the OMFS does here. Surgeries every tuesday, clinic the rest of the week.

I might do that though, granted i'd have to change my MCAT books now that the test has changed. It's not a bad idea.

This specific OMS/OMFS case was pretty freaking awesome.

Nice video. Even though most surgeons go into private practice to do only dentoalveolar, OMS in general has a very interesting scope of practice.

I have to agree that having the option to NOT specialize is, ironically, one of the main reasons I'm interested in the OMS path. I'll be 31 when I'm done with dental school, and knowing that I'll have the option to just get to work and support a family as a dentist eases a lot of apprehension I have about the length of training.

Having wrapped up a couple months shadowing OMS in a large university hospital, that's basically the direction I've come away with: I'm going to dental school to be a dentist, but I'm choosing dental schools that won't leave me out in the cold as far as CBSE preparation goes. And when the times comes if my personal life will accommodate 4-6 more years of training, then I'll go for it.

Little update, sorry to resurrect such an old thread. But i took my DAT today! Idk how i made the score i made. I'm happy though i'll take it. It's something to apply with if i need to get it up i'll work on that when told to do so. Otherwise i'm going to roll with it.

Ended up with this if the "unofficial" score is correct. Which my friends who are in dental or were in dental said theirs matched their actual score.
PAT 17
QR 18
CR 18
Bio 19
Chem 18
Orgo 20
Avg Science 18
AA 19

Truthfully i feel i could stand to do better and get it to a 20-21. But of the three practice DATs i took none of them were near as hard as the actual DAT. Especially Kaplans. Their science section admittedly was difficult but after that it was like they compensated by making the rest a joke. Especially PAT and CR. I made a 21 on the last PAT section i took from Kaplan. That's a joke in itself i'm average at PAT at best i was happy with a 17. CR out of Kaplan, DAT Bootcamp (free practice), and princeton's DAT was all much easier than the actual test. CR on the actual test very much reminded me of a mix of CR and verbal more so than strict CR like the rest of my studies. Practicing i usually averaged 20-21 on CR. QR was actually up from most of my practicing. Funny my practice test looked like this. 16, 17, 18. 16 and 17 with Kaplan and 18 with princeton review. I intended to take more and start taking them 2-3 weeks before the exam but somehow ended up with a kidney infection and was running fever day and night. Killed almost a week. Anyhow i'm pretty excited. Now i can work, shadow, and finish filling out an application to apply.

Thanks for updating, man. I remember reading this when you first posted so it was nice to see your current situation.

I was always in between the two and I feel the same way about OMFS but love general dentistry as well.

Good luck with the application process!

Thankyou. I had forgotten you have to apply a year in advance. Back when I was going med I told my parents that I should be applying this summer. I think they're thinking the same for dentistry. But I just check at least for UMMC application deadline was in June. Wouldn't have been able to regardless. I'm not terribly worried though. Going to grab a pharmacy tech position and start shadowing. I figure pharmacy, psych, and ER would look good as far as work experience. Plus exposure to pharmacology should be a plus.

I've been a behavioral health tech on a psych floor and in the ED for a couple years, so I was wondering the same thing! I just recently started seriously considering dentistry, so I hope my medical experience will help. When are you applying? Next cycle?

See idk I'm going to try and get what I can get in the next seven weeks or so. If I meet the requirements I'm going to apply. If not its just that much less I have to do in the next year and will already have my recs. Truthfully I'm a little worn out. I started back on the farm the day after the DAT and the day I took it drove three hours there and back. So spent almost five hours testing and six driving. Woke up the next morning washed my truck and then got the call and went to put out poly pipe. Just moved all my stuff out of Starkville too. As soon as my brother gets back from his school trip in going to start shadowing. We'll see how it goes.

I think the more work experience the better. I will have the farm, emergency room, and behavioral health. If I don't get in I'll be adding pharmacy tech to that as well. Work experience should be taken care of.

For those of you who were in my position did you have trouble with your personal statement? I guess I've somewhat waited till the last minute to apply so this is all squeezing but it doesn't hurt to work on it even if i don't get the application in.

So far i have 68hrs of shadowing of which i've shadowed orthodontics, general dentistry, and an OMFS. Somwhere around 30hrs of volunteer work at the local care station. I guess my trouble is i had a personal statement in regard to medical school similarly written as above. Just telling them why i chose dentistry. Just the truth honestly, i know it isn't captivating or awe inspiring but it is honest. I understand the concern of it looking like i "bailed" so to speak to dental and i'm not looking to word it that way. The issue is i know i'm going to be asked about why i left medicine. Would it be wrong to answer that in my personal statement?

Last edited:
I don't see that much value in doing pharm tech/ER/psych gigs for dental admissions, and I'm saying it as someone with a ton of premed ECs. In fact, being a pharm tech wouldn't do anything for med school admissions either.

Also, you should really apply way before dental school deadlines are due; it's not as import to apply early in the cycle as it is for MD schools, but September is really pushing it even for dental cycle.

Please, everyone needs to stop glorifying OMFS, I myself have a great interest in it, but my believe is that one should not go to medical school unless they are ready to become a PCP and equally one should not go to dental school without facing the prospects of becoming a GP. The incredible breadth of OMFS practice that you see them perform in hospitals never paid well, so the income is really generated from implants and third molars. However, I would not bet on being able to survive off those two procedures by the time you and I graduate: there are dentists graduating with 500k+ of debt who for financial reasons learn to do those two procedures themselves. It's not what you see when you go and shadow an OMFS who is close to retiring whose GP colleagues never had an interest in doing implants/third molars themselves as they were not financially burdened by mountains of debt.

Last edited:
That's been exactly my thoughts as well. Parents just really want me to apply this cycle. I do get it, two years is a ways away, and there is still that off chance i wont get in next year just because of how competitive it is. Assuming i do get in i'll be 26 going to school. Not a huge issue to me but i am ready to get in. Hell the deadline is two and a half weeks away. At this point i've gotten maybe some form of a personal statement written, three letter of recs, and have sent the transcript request forms off. Still it will be pushing it to get it in by the 25th for UMMC or the 30th for UT. If i don't submit my application does most of it save? That way i could have it ready by the next cycle? Either way i'd have it ready the day of given the amount of time i'll have. The only plus to this is i'll be shadowing and volunteering for a year that will give me some major hours.

Pharm tech i can see, but i don't see how ER wouldn't help. Being able to communicate with all types of people is huge IMHO and it's something you have to have in the ER or patients don't like you very much. At least this was the rhetoric when i was going to med school. Not to mention despite being the low man on the pole it is still high stress at times. Having to be first on scene of a code 99, recognizing it, and calling it isn't a comfortable experience. I realize that it isn't oral healthcare but it's still healthcare.

I suppose i could look for a job in a dental office. Wouldn't hurt.

I understand where your coming from after shadowing an OMFS. There is likely no money in the hospital working trauma centers. Though again it's just a thought of mine, as i said i wont know until i get there. I also have most of my hours in general dentistry and love it. The particular Dentist i shadow pretty much does everything from routine crown and fillings to implants and endodontics there isn't much he refers out.

Last edited:
Resurrecting an old thread again, but just to keep it updated. I've got my application pretty much finished, just finalizing some aspects of my personal statement and it's off.

FWIW i did put pharm tech, ER tech, and behavorial heatlh tech, in my work experiences. Of course i was expecting to be able to elaborate some on those but came to the realization there was little to no room to do so with a 175 character count. So i pretty much just listed the functions of each job.

Also left out my shadowing in medicine. Though I did use the story about the triple bypass in my personal statement.

Will let everyone know how it goes if i can land an interview.

For those of you who've applied or are in. I'm trying to stretch the range of the schools i'll be applying to. Some of them in particular are to my understanding fairly high ranked and hard to get into, like UAB and UF. Should i just save the money? Or just go with it? At the moment i'm planning on the surrounding states plus my own. MS, TN, AL, FL, and LA.

Last edited:
Resurrecting an old thread again, but just to keep it updated. I've got my application pretty much finished, just finalizing some aspects of my personal statement and it's off.

FWIW i did put pharm tech, ER tech, and behavorial heatlh tech, in my work experiences. Of course i was expecting to be able to elaborate some on those but came to the realization there was little to no room to do so with a 175 character count. So i pretty much just listed the functions of each job.

Also left out my shadowing in medicine. Though I did use the story about the triple bypass in my personal statement.

Will let everyone know how it goes if i can land an interview.

For those of you who've applied or are in. I'm trying to stretch the range of the schools i'll be applying to. Some of them in particular are to my understanding fairly high ranked and hard to get into, like UAB and UF. Should i just save the money? Or just go with it? At the moment i'm planning on the surrounding states plus my own. MS, TN, AL, FL, and LA.
I would throw a thread in the predent forum.
Honestly, after reading your thread it seems that you really want to be in healthcare. It is also clear that you love the idea of OMS. But you must be prepared for bread and butter dentistry.
I will say though, your DAT is not that competitive. Dental school is quite difficult to get into. I'm not sure if you mentioned your GPA (I apologize if you did, I must've missed it), but it's generally a high expectation as well.
You are a non-traditional applicant though, with lots of experience. That can work in your favor. Your experience is also quite varied, which can work against you possibly. SOME adcoms might see this as being all over the place.
Most importantly, with your situation, you are being way too picky with your school choices. Public is usually harder to get into than private, due to the price. Apply broadly based on your stats, and on what schools are looking for.
Either way I wish you luck, and keep in mind that you may get into dental school. When you finish, there is no guarantee that you will get into OMS (the chances are quite small, for anyone). As long as the idea of general dentistry will make you happy, then go for it.

Yes i've come to that conclusion. Something i couldn't come to grips with, with medicine. A friend once asked me what i would do if i didn't get surgery, back when i was set on Med School. I didn't have an answer, I pretty much felt if i couldn't do surgery i didn't really want to be in Med School. Dentistry however is completely different. I have no problem being a general dentist, there is still plenty of hands on work in general dentistry that has plenty of variation. Reading an OMFS resident's thread on here put that in perspective for me along with questions while i was shadowing. I understand the high possibility of not making the cut for OMFS, if I don't make it I don't make it, life goes on.

I do realize my DAT is nothing special, it's what i was shooting for at the time. That said i felt i was capable of a 20-21. GPA is a 3.67 overall and 3.6 BCPM. So regarding academics pretty average for a pre-med/pre-dent student. As you said what separates me is the experience. That said i can completely see where some adcoms might see that as a glaring example of uncertainty, we'll just have to see how they interpret it.

Well application is sent gents. I would like to thank all of you who've given your advice, encouragement, and walked me through on some things. I really appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 users
Well AADSAS officially calculated my GPA today and it was a 3.68 Overall but 3.55 BCPM. I had calculated a 3.59/3.6. I had a W that i put repeated course for, which was human genetics. I didn't really know if the classification for the course would be repeated. But i technically started it, withdrew, and then took it a semester or two later.

Well AADSAS officially calculated my GPA today and it was a 3.68 Overall but 3.55 BCPM. I had calculated a 3.59/3.6. I had a W that i put repeated course for, which was human genetics. I didn't really know if the classification for the course would be repeated. But i technically started it, withdrew, and then took it a semester or two later.

Get ready for all your supplemental apps to come in!!

Yeah i ended up applying to five schools. Had a list of 13 until i saw that it was 1421$ and about 500$ worth of supplemental apps. Narrowed it to seven schools and still it was 831$. So settled with five.
UMMC
UT
UAB
UF
UK

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks for your time,

William

Do dentistry man, it's worth it. You make a **** ton of money too. Also, if you still want a surgical feeling, specialize in Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, it's very hard to get in, however, with the marks and passion you can. However, don't think dental school is easy, because it's not. Many students drop out or fail, just like Medical school. The first one and a half years of the dental school curriculum is almost identical to medical school's. So, the first one and a half years is basically medical school. After that, then you start to go in depth with more dental related stuff. As a dentist, you take peoples pain away, make them more confident and help the community out. It's a very satisfying career. If you want to make even more money and have more passion, you can specialize in many different things, including OMFS. I know a dentist that owns 4 of his own dental practices, he makes about 1 mill a year. He pays his dentists who've just started to work with him about $300,000. My father, owns 3 of his own dental practices and makes about $890,000 a year and pays his new dentists about $250,000 as well. And, as the dentists that work for him gain more experience, they can make up to $400,000. A dentist usually works for someone else for a few years, then opens up their own practice. If you work at a busy, good dental practice you can make a lot. Even, if you work for a low-average dental practice, you still make good money.

Man i wish i would've kept this thread more updated. It would probably help if i frequented SDN as much as i do my firearm forums. Anyhow less than two years is still resurrect-able right?

Long story short didn't get in the first cycle. Met with the associate Dean after being denied. They recommend i enroll in their Biomedical Masters program to see if i could still adjust to an academic setting having been out of school for nearly 4 years. Basically we take a couple of graduate level courses along side D1/D2 students and our performance is assessed. Reapplied, got an interview again, standing in the class was great at the time i believe #2 out of the pre-dents. I was accepted last December for the class of 2022 at the University of Mississippi Medical Center here in Jackson, where i've been for a year. Wrapping up my masters degree this Friday and am going to enjoy the summer before we hit the grind that is to come in August. I'm 27 now, time flies as they say, and i'm nearly the oldest in my class :whistle:. The amount of old jokes i get are in no short supply :lol:. I am happy being here though. Motivations are still the same, still absolutely leaning OMFS, no guarantees of course, but i think i will put ever fiber of my being into it. Class size is small at 40 students, we have a OMFS residency here in Jackson with a craniofacial team, requirements at least by OMFS standards are not entirely too steep. Top 25% of the class and 80th percentile on boards. The later worries me much more than the former after having had some D1/D2 classes now. Don't get me wrong that statement is not meant to sound over confident i whole heartedly know the workload D1/D2 will be far more stressful than what i've experienced in this program. I just plan to use my time wisely and not fall behind under any circumstance. Having taken the classes already certainly helps as well though. Looking at the financial burden that comes with Dental School is certainly starting to weigh in the back of mind now. I don't think it will hinder my performance as there will be enough stress as is, but I've given it some thought for sure.

Been a long road getting here, again i'd like to thank you all that contributed to helping me make a decision.

Funny enough my brother is wrapping up his sophomore year of college and has decided on pre-med. Yet he asks me what he should do. The same position i was in. I had forgotten about this place and i'll certainly make a recommendation that he seek some advice here.

Reactions: 3 users