Third Away (in town) or Peds ED (at home)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frazier

Palliative Emergentologist
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got good advice a couple weeks ago, so coming back for more. Had a question pop up in my head today...

- Will be doing 2 aways outside my home region.
- Currently scheduled for a Peds ED rotation this summer at home institution (has mediocre reviews from upper classman).

I have the option to do a third away (instead of Peds ED); however, I'd be looking to do it at the rival health system in my current city. Unlike my med school, they have a community-esque residency program.

So, on the one hand, I'm thinking "Well, I could do some more ED. Hopefully make a good impression with the program before interview season. Maybe better my odds at not having to move away for residency."

BUT, on the other hand, I'm worried "Will it look like I'm only interested in my current city to outside programs -- and is 3 aways too many?"

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your goal.
You may learn something from the peds ed block, a fourth em rotation may help your app, but it may be a waste of a month where you actually have a chance to learn about something else