Third time's not the charm...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ymartino

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just scored a 23 for the third time in a row using various Kaplan exams (my scores have fluctuated from 18 to 32...). I am taking the MCAT November 7th and I have been studying for over 4 months. I don't know what to do and I feel very hopeless. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :(

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you not using the AAMC released exams? Last I checked Kaplan has an entire section in their review on Alkynes which aren't mentioned ever on the MCAT, nor listed on the AAMC biological sciences study outlines (to give an example of why Kaplan is terrible).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not a fan of the Kaplan exams. n=1 here, but on the AAMC practice exams I ranged between 30-34, and on Kaplan 36+. Good for an ego boost, poor for actual diagnostic value. Take the AAMC practice tests.

Not a fan of the Kaplan exams. n=1 here, but on the AAMC practice exams I ranged between 30-34, and on Kaplan 36+. Good for an ego boost, poor for actual diagnostic value. Take the AAMC practice tests.
I had the same experience, however this means that OP's AAMC test will be even lower so it isn't really of much help here

I had the same experience, however this means that OP's AAMC test will be even lower so it isn't really of much help here

Potentially. I don't think we can conclude that the scores are always more generous via Kaplan. The OP scoring 18 - 32 is a huge range of scores.. At best, I think we can say that their (Kaplan) scoring is just funky. If he takes AAMC 3 and gets something similar to the lower end of his Kaplan scores, then I'd say that MCAT needs to be delayed and a new study plan implemented. 4 months of studying--real, honest studying--shouldn't result in an 18.

Reactions: 1 users
First step is to take an AAMC exam. If you're still in the low 20s, you should not take the MCAT on 11/7.

Reactions: 2 users
Concur. If you're in school, seek out your school's education or learning center for help in test taking, or consult a therapist to see if you have (and can fix) test taking anxiety issues.

First step is to take an AAMC exam. If you're still in the low 20s, you should not take the MCAT on 11/7.

How long ago have you taken your basic sciences?

Kaplan does not substitute for classroom learning.