Third Year Honors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparticus

sparticus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is honors in a third year clerkship? My school does not give out honors in third year but they do in fourth year. In many of the threads on this website I have seen students say they got honors in their third year core clerkships I just wanted to do a survey on what honors is at your different schools (you don't have to include your school name if you prefer). My school just gives a pass/fail grade and then a percentage. Thanks for you help. :):):):) :D :D

Members don't see this ad.

It varies by rotation but usually includes 'honors' score on the majority of your written evaluations (written by the residents and attendings you work with) and a set minimum score on the shelf exam. In some rotations a good 1/3 - 1/2 of the people will get honors. In others, perhaps 10%. Some rotations (like surgery and emergency medicine) require a minimum number of procedures to be performed also. Procedures for the surgery rotation include things like scrubbing for a case, pulling a chest tube, central line, arterial line, and also includes anesthesia so intubations, IV's, also count toward your total

1/3 - 1/2? Wtf!

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school, i've heard that around 1/2 of the people will recieve honors for surgery and medicine... and another 1/4 will get high passes. Don't know how true this is, but that's what people say. Not sure about the other rotations.

Last edited:
Is it true that residencies consider A's practically honors when comparing schools that have the letter grade scale to those on pass/fail systems?

Hi there,
My school gave Honors, Pass and Fail. If you received Honors, you scored above 86% on the shelf exam. If not, you got a Pass and if you failed the shelf exam (scored less than 65%) you failed the rotation.

njbmd :)

Here it's generally 15%, but many clerkship directors, if they have a stellar group, will bump it up to 20, maybe 25%.

quideam said:
At my school, i've heard that around 1/2 of the people will recieve honors for surgery and medicine... and another 1/4 will get high passes. Don't know how true this is, but that's what people say. Not sure about the other rotations.

Can we say grade inflation? ;)

kaos said:
Is it true that residencies consider A's practically honors when comparing schools that have the letter grade scale to those on pass/fail systems?
A = Honors in everyone's mind.

94 and above is honors at my school. With shelfs counting in the 40% - 50% range, H's are not common. If 50% of students honor the class, it sounds like grade inflation to some people.

Hey, after crazy competition during MS1 and 2, i'll take a little grade inflation ;). But really, our shelves count for about 25% in most rotations, with evaluations and workshops/tutor sessions, etc., making up the other 75%. So that may be part of the reason why so many people get honors and HPs.