This Forum Has Become...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdstrike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This forum has become so boring, I can't decide which would be more entertaining, reading it, or sticking safety pins under my finger nails. Seriously. Sorry, but sometimes I just have to be the one to tell it like it is

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did you get your idea from the anesthesiology forum? Coincidentally, two threads saying the same thing came up in the past week.

I don't think that it is so boring. I'm not sure what you want. We're not inundated with "what are my chances" or "rank these programs" - there are some, but not so many of those stupid, sucky threads like, for example, IM has. One guy there tried to fire up their forum, and is mostly single-handedly keeping that thread going. Those folks just won't engage.

And what is the mantra of complaining? If you are going to state a problem, also state a solution to that problem.

This forum has become so boring, I can't decide which would be more entertaining, reading it, or sticking safety pins under my finger nails. Seriously. Sorry, but sometimes I just have to be the one to tell it like it is.

You want me to start some controversy? I can whip something up if you're bored.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I'll go.

I think we should legalize euthanasia.

how come male nurses are usually not great looking, and married if they are?

why do female nurses and male docs play into the old stereotype so often? and where do female docs fit in?

why is pubic hair so unpopular these days?

can Dexter teach me his pocket shot injection technique? and what's that drug he uses that instantly makes his victims instantly incapacitated?

why do people like dilaudid so much? in my experience as a patient, fentanyl had all of the good and none of the bad.

why are so many women incapable of understanding how pregnancy occurs?

Reactions: 1 user
How come student nurses are hotter than full nurses?

Two thoughts on this (disclaimer: I'm a happily married man, yet I see some of my co-residents flirt with complete nasty, and willingly):

1. It has to do with the transition from... "I'd like to learn how to best be a part of a life-saving team" ... to "I've been doing this for long 'enough' (without any formal education) that I know exactly what to do in this situation... and you don't. The attitude shifts somewhere, and its just.... grrahh. Refer to the "DNP Degree" threads for more fodder on this subject.

2. That... and the smoking.... I don't get it. Smoking is the least appealing thing any female can do, ever. Yet... all the "old battle-axe" ED nurses that I know unilaterally smoke. I'd rather do a rectal on a patient with known C.diff than be in the room with more than half of my "smoker" patients. Its not enough that they all smell like $hit, but they're intellectually frustrating, too...They're all SOB/DOE... whatever... and they wonder why. Freaking *****s.

Yet... smoking is somehow (forgivable), and its supposed to be (alluring)?

Hey, Birdstrike.... thanks for shaking things up. You got my hackles up, too. Strong work.

how come male nurses are usually not great looking, and married if they are?

Same reason female docs are usually not great looking, and married if they are.

why do female nurses and male docs play into the old stereotype so often? and where do female docs fit in?

Female docs fit in the "type A, I have something to prove to everyone and its easy to get me in bed" stereotype. At least thats what I got from watching Greys Anatomy.

why is pubic hair so unpopular these days?

Cuz its itchy, annoying to keep clean, and gets stuck between teeth...

why do people like dilaudid so much? in my experience as a patient, fentanyl had all of the good and none of the bad.

Cuz the ER attendings are not doing a good enough job pushing the fent. The marketing department really needs to work on that.

Same reason college girls are hotter than the women that entered the "real world"

Attractive student nurses aren't nurses for very long. Someone snags them and the work can stop.

can Dexter teach me his pocket shot injection technique? and what's that drug he uses that instantly makes his victims instantly incapacitated?

Hahaha I was wondering this earlier his evening during a movie involving a similar situation. I guess it is called M99, generic name Etorphine, trade name, Immobilon. Opioid 1000-8000 times the strength of morphine. Used in the bush on large animals and at zoos, I guess all of the doses of it come with a version of Narcan that works with it. I'd assume it would probably kill someone with respiratory depression without intervention in the dose Dexter gives, but its TV!

I think the student nurses are hotter because they haven't gotten into the habit of eating crap that the other nurses bring in day in and day out. the older nurses tender to get much larger with time.

In the Showtime television series Dexter, M99 is used by the show's serial-killer protagonist Dexter Morgan to sedate his victims via injection by a hypodermic needle. The sedative works instantly, rendering the injected immobile and unconscious within a couple of seconds and lasting for several hours. Dexter is able to access the drug through one of his aliases, Patrick Bateman, M.D.[5]. "Patrick Bateman" is the name of the main character in the novel American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. Patrick Bateman is also a serial killer.

Members don't see this ad :)
This forum has become so boring, I can't decide which would be more entertaining, reading it, or sticking safety pins under my finger nails. Seriously. Sorry, but sometimes I just have to be the one to tell it like it is.

Two reasons:

Generation Y make up most of those who are in medical education right now, and they have nothing to say. And, the majority of all the really good posters have been banned.

:middle finger:

Two reasons:

Generation Y make up most of those who are in medical education right now, and they have nothing to say. And, the majority of all the really good posters have been banned.

:middle finger:

They also are not politically active. They basically want to work in order to support their families, and not get involved in anything "controversial".

They also are not politically active. They basically want to work in order to support their families, and not get involved in anything "controversial".

That may be true of people who make up the current general medical education population, but it's really not at all true of Generation Y as a whole.

Not a doc yet...but this forum is a little boring because almost everytime someone asks a question they are pretty much told to use the search button....so basically there is very little chance to generate discussion and dialogue

Got to admit that the Yale thread was funny as **** though!!!:laugh:

Not a doc yet...but this forum is a little boring because almost everytime someone asks a question they are pretty much told to use the search button....so basically there is very little chance to generate discussion and dialogue

Hyperbole much?

And, to be candid, who are you? I mean, if you aren't contributing, your statement that the forum is a little boring has less provenance.

Why do patients still think females are nurses and males are doctors?

Why do locker rooms still have doors labeled nurses and doctors instead of male and female? I honestly have contemplated on many occasions (every time I see doors labeled that way) walking into the doctor's locker room just for fun.

12 hour shifts are ridiculous and now I'm dead and ready for bed. And I kind of rhymed that.

Love the thread.

Why do locker rooms still have doors labeled nurses and doctors instead of male and female?
QUOTE]

Holy *&^% that's unacceptable. Never seen that before, how expensive can a sign be that no one's replaced that yet?

Hyperbole much?

And, to be candid, who are you? I mean, if you aren't contributing, your statement that the forum is a little boring has less provenance.

I am a student. That is who I am. Everytime I have a question. I am afraid to post it. So, basically I end up using the google function or the search function. Even when I can't find what I am looking for I just let it be.

Also, when med. students do ask questions. I can't answer them. So, I leave that to the residents and attendings. When residents and attendings inquire about treatment protocols. I can't answer that. So, I leave it to the professionals.

I am a student. That is who I am. Everytime I have a question. I am afraid to post it. So, basically I end up using the google function or the search function. Even when I can't find what I am looking for I just let it be.

Also, when med. students do ask questions. I can't answer them. So, I leave that to the residents and attendings. When residents and attendings inquire about treatment protocols. I can't answer that. So, I leave it to the professionals.

What you can do is use periods inappropriately, but that is beside the point.

So, you search, as you bemoan, and can't find something, but don't post your follow up? If people say "do a search", right before or after saying "It's been answered many times", why is that unreasonable? Then, whose fault is it that you don't post your question? Quite honestly, I don't think that we here in the EM forum are more ****ish or less approachable than many other fora here on SDN.

Is fora the pleural of forum? Always little nuggets of information in here.

Is fora the pleural of forum? Always little nuggets of information in here.

It's the Latin plural. Since words ending in -um are neuter case in Latin, the nominative and accusative plural is -a. In English, a writer or speaker can also use "forums" (such as you see at the top of this page, for the "Physician/Resident Forums [MD/DO]").

DO vs. MD. Go!

One of our crusty charge nurses wants to be on a death panel with me. Together we will extract "savings" by limiting futile care on old people.

One of our crusty charge nurses wants to be on a death panel with me. Together we will extract "savings" by limiting futile care on old people.

Do they have to be old? Just asking, because there are some younger ones that are already living off your money. :rolleyes: Darwin?

Why do patients still think females are nurses and males are doctors?

Why are you asking this?

Well, I guess this is a thread of rhetorical questions and statement; but still.

It drives me nuts when doctors or nurses ask that question.

HH

Why aren't there more male nurses?

HH

Why are you asking this?

Well, I guess this is a thread of rhetorical questions and statement; but still.

It drives me nuts when doctors or nurses ask that question.

HH

Because it was a random thought. Nothing more.

When are the DOs going to assimilate?

I think it is time to "put up or shut up".

HH

:laugh:

You know......

I think we could really learn a lot from the "California Experiment".

Do they have to be old? Just asking, because there are some younger ones that are already living off your money. :rolleyes: Darwin?

We have to start somewhere. If the program is successful at "culling" the retirees, we may expand it to non-producers or all ages.

Not to derail things, but what other common chief complaints drive you freaking batty for one reason or another ? For me; its the blood glucose swings that drive me up the wall. It seems like that EMS phone rings every thirty seconds with some other schmuck that can't control his/her glucose to something in the 'reasonable' range (70-300).

Also; "Chest pain while at dialysis". Listen, folks... its not going to be a picnic.

Hyperbole much?

Dude, you just proved Hey There's point.

Post anyway. A brilliant post will always bring at least one totally boneheaded reply that misses the whole point. Here we go, watch.......

Wait - did you right there decide yours was a "brilliant post"? Seriously? And, if you were saying that mine was a "totally boneheaded" post, you can kiss my ass, because it wasn't.

And learn how to multi-quote.

Dude, you just proved Hey There's point.

How is that? Someone is too timid to post, and I say "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem". If everyone said nothing, there would be nothing. There are med students and pre-meds that don't know anything, but post anyhow, and that generates discussion. Someone going overboard and saying "almost every time" someone says "do a search" (despite that being an overstatement) sounds like that person has an angle.

And the timid poster did reply - so maybe s/he is coming out of his/her shell. Despite how good we all think we are, I don't think anyone is psychic to any useful degree.

Now wait a minute, it hasn't been that bad! What about the recent Yale threads? Those were pretty entertaining. Or that recent one with the exam questions-- amusing.

Was there a period of time where the EM forum had wild and crazy threads on a regular basis?

Not to derail things, but what other common chief complaints drive you freaking batty for one reason or another ? For me; its the blood glucose swings that drive me up the wall. It seems like that EMS phone rings every thirty seconds with some other schmuck that can't control his/her glucose to something in the 'reasonable' range (70-300).

Also; "Chest pain while at dialysis". Listen, folks... its not going to be a picnic.

Dental pain. Cold symptoms.

Dental: not a dentist nor do we have dentists at my shop
Cold symptoms: you already know your diagnosis. why are you here?

Aw hell, that drives me nuts. No CP but I get that every other shift as SOB, dizziness, and anemia (chronic) from the dialysis unit. WTF

No one should own a home blood pressure cuff. And if they do somehow get their hands on one, their should be a law forbidding there use after-hours and on weekends. How is it that someone who is systematically f***ing up every other aspect of their health can be so religious about alerting EMS when their pressure spikes?

IF it's been boring it's clearly because I've been busy lately. :tongue in cheek:

I don't think the most interesting posters in EM have been banned. This forum is one of the best behaved on the board. We can argue and even really gripe at each other but it very seldom crosses the line into juvenile name calling. And even when it does the aggrieved parties usually don't take the bait. So people rarely get axed.

I'm continually amazed by the quality of info on this board. If someone asks a legit question or even a semi-legit question they'll get a few jabs but they will get several good resident and attending responses. That's damn good for the interwebs.

Maybe it would spice things up if I started leaving all the penis enlargement spam.

No one should own a home blood pressure cuff. And if they do somehow get their hands on one, their should be a law forbidding there use after-hours and on weekends. How is it that someone who is systematically f***ing up every other aspect of their health can be so religious about alerting EMS when their pressure spikes?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I see this twice a week.
Pt: My pressure was high.
Me: Any symptoms?
Pt: No.
Me: Great. Bye.
Pt: Aren't you going to do something?
Me: Sure. Here's a referral to your primary doctor.
Pt: I will give you poor PG scores.
Me: I know.