This is hard!

Lovinmymedstudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My partner and I have been together for almost 6 years and started this medical school journey together. She was fifth yeared and we made it through that. We bought a house moved to a new state for clinical's and after just two months she was 6th yeared. Fast forward 8 months and getting ready to finally start third year and she loses her spot at the hospital and the only rotation available is 8 hours away. It was not financially possible for me to move with her and now I'm having a hard time being alone. We are only 2 months into the year long, long distance journey and I'm struggling. Is there anyone else out there in the same situation that can offer some advice? I have no family or friends that are close and I just started a new job. I'm feeling overwhelmed and isolated. Help!

Members don't see this ad.

If it's true love it will make it through. I was in med school and 1000 miles (not an exaggeration) away from my fiancée. I saw her about 4x a year for 4 years until I got into residency. At best maybe 5x/year. Ac couple of points I wanted to make:
1. If it's true love it'll last through anything, long distance can sometime test your commitment or test their commitment.
2. 8 hrs is nothing maybe that's just me but you can leave on every friday evening and spend the entire weekend together. That's at least 4x/month compared to my 4x/year for 4 years.
3. Residency is only worse, I guess depending on what residency you're going into, but overall you won't have time for her and vice versa she won't have time for you. So maybe this is a stepping stone for your near future.
4. buying a house together before marriage is a bad idea no matter how much in love you think you are. anything can happen and if it does adding a house only make things more complex.

Reactions: 1 user
It won't get any better, only different. Find a way to be happy with things as they are or move on.

How does one become 5th yeared, 6th yeared, AND lose their rotation spot?

I would make an effort to meet some new people in your area. Maybe go to a meet up group for something that interests you, take a class, volunteer doing something you enjoy, attend local events. I know it's tough, but find things to fill your time so it doesn't drag so badly. Good luck.