This is not a "what are my chances thread"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know i have no chances right now. I have a 2.2 gpa biochemistry major from hunter (haven't taken the mcat). long story and lots of good reasons that don't matter because the admissions dept just want to see good numbers. what my question is :

what should my next step be? can i do a postbac? i thought those are usually for non science majors that are completing their pre-reqs. in essence i would be taking over classes that i already took. should i try to get into any grad school that would take me? i'm not really sure what my other options are. hopefully no one will say forget med school and be a emt. i'm assuming there is SOMETHING i can do. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

post-bac is a good idea, yes. they can be used to get your GPA up as well. you can also look into masters programs, but I don't know if they'll take you with that GPA

Best plan is to retake any classes that were C or below, try for a masters program or special masters program...get your GPA up and take some tough upper divison classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may want to look through this:

http://drslounge.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=346106

SMPs may be helpful but ONLY if you can raise that somewhere to at LEAST a 2.5 for the lower end SMPs. Your best option may be to extend your undergraduate career there a year or two, and work on improving your stats so that you dont have to completely enroll into an entirely new postbac. You might try out for the other abovementioned things, but with a 2.2 GPA, it may be an uphill climb, and a shot in the dark. Ideally, if you can continue your education at hunter, it would allow you to stay as a matriculated student and not have to risk not being accepted anywhere in a program.

You will need to take a lot of hours to make up for a 2.2 GPA, considering that you already have a bachelor's degree. Therefore, it might be a few years of taking science classes, and even then you need to get very good grades in order to offset it.

Another thing you need to do is to do very, very well on the MCAT to help you offset that low gpa. Study a lot and do not take the test until you score consistently high on full-length practice exams.

Make sure you get valuable clinical experience, and if possible, make yourself stand out by doing something out of the ordinary (preferrably something that interests you and enjoy), such as traveling abroad, teaching, etc.

A very good personal statement can't hurt, either.

Consider applying to DO schools as well when you are ready, they tend to have lower gpa/MCAT averages and they allow some grade replacement (MD schools don't).

You may want to look through this:

http://drslounge.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=346106

SMPs may be helpful but ONLY if you can raise that somewhere to at LEAST a 2.5 for the lower end SMPs. Your best option may be to extend your undergraduate career there a year or two, and work on improving your stats so that you dont have to completely enroll into an entirely new postbac. You might try out for the other abovementioned things, but with a 2.2 GPA, it may be an uphill climb, and a shot in the dark. Ideally, if you can continue your education at hunter, it would allow you to stay as a matriculated student and not have to risk not being accepted anywhere in a program.

i'm still in the middle of reading this info but just wanted to say thank you very much. i'm starting to get happy right now.:)