This is not a "what are my chcances" thread...jk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uday28fb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This actually isn't really a what are my chances thread but I do want some opinions.

So far I've finished up my pre reqs, the usual chem, bio, math, physics classes.

Overall GPA thus far: 3.6, I've made A's in all my humanities classes which include, sociology classes, psychology, history, antropology, etc
EC's: Volunteer in the ER, Shadowing both a DO and MD, 1 semester Stem Cell Research, Student Gov Research Cabinet, Fraternity (lots of service projects), tutor, AMSA

Calc 1: A
Calc 2: B+
Calc 3: A
Gen Chem 1: A Lab: A
Gen Chem 2 : B+ Lab: B
Bio 1: C Lab: B Retake Grade of lecture class: A
Bio 2: C+ Lab: B+ Retake Grade lecture class: A
Phy 1: B Lab: B+
Phy 2: A Lab: A
Org 1: C+ Retake Grade lecture class: A
Org 2: A Lab: A
Intro to Chem: A

I still have to finish up my major and have to take the following classes:
analytical chem and lab, instrumental analysis and lab, inorganic chem, p chem 1, pchem 2 and lab. So I still have more science classes to improve my GPA even further. Ofcourse I still have the MCAT and all thse classe, but up to this point am I looking good for allopathic?

I know I screwed up with those C's early on, but I'm hoping that adcoms will see the upward trend and the fact that I really made a change in my study habits to get the better grades inthose classes.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm gonna go ahead and bump this. Hopefully Ill get some responses in by tommorow. Thanks in advance guys.

The C's definitely hurt, but its good you got an A in the 2nd semester of Organic Chem (with no retake) and (presumably) that two of your C's were early in College. You'll have to ask around about the policy on retakes, but I think all grades get put into your overall and BCMP GPA. The schools are unlikely to be overly impressed with A's as retakes.

You're weak in Biology. It might be wise to take some additional Biology courses and get A's. As a Chem major, you have many courses in that field. You could consider courses in Biochemistry, Physiology, Genetics, maybe some of the 'softer' Biology (Ecology/Evolution), amongst others.

You'll be expected to do very well on the PS section of the MCAT. At least 10, but preferably 11+. A good BS score can help negate some of your weak Bio courses as well. Unfortunately, you're in a tough major, so it may be hard to get A's in the Science courses you have coming up.

There are ways to try to game the system. This means taking courses that are traditionally not as hard (Astronomy, Geology, some Psych courses) but still count in the BCMP. You could try some courses in these fields.

We can't say if you have a chance at Allo schools without your MCAT scores. Good luck!

There are ways to try to game the system. This means taking courses that are traditionally not as hard (Astronomy, Geology, some Psych courses) but still count in the BCMP. You could try some courses in these fields.

It looks like you good at math, so maybe consider some stats, which counts as math, courses as well. Intro to stats should not be hard for some getting As in calc. classes.