This new MCAT is...........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlaqueBuster

"Perfect" practice makes you perfect
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am glad that I am done with the MCAT but I wanted to see what the new MCAT holds for those studying for it now. And wow was I surprised. There is lot more information, much longer time for the entire test, and much more organic chemistry. Good luck to everyone tackling the new MCAT. What are your thoughts on this test from looking at the outline?

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/377882/data/mcat2015-content.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Organic Chemistry on the new MCAT will be spread out over Biological AND Physical section.

On page 8 under Biological/Biochemical section, there is 5% Organic Chemistry.

On page 45 under Chemical/Physical section, there is 15% Organic Chemistry.

So...not considerably less orgo. The o-chem topics are reduced, though.

And, yeah, the new test is gonna' suck. But that is just emphasizing the obvious, like the purpose of this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
The biochem section is brutal. As a biochem major, I literally cried as I went through the experimental section .

The biochem section is brutal. As a biochem major, I literally cried as I went through the experimental section .

I don't think the difficulty of the trial section has to be on par with the new section of the MCAT. It's actually very possible that most of the questions on the trial section were on the more difficult side for "testing purposes".

Let's be a little big positive. On the bright side, you get more time/question for the verbal reasoning section, which is arguably the most difficult section of the test.

Let's be a little big positive. On the bright side, you get more time/question for the verbal reasoning section, which is arguably the most difficult section of the test.

Lol, on a negative side, I think most passages will be about humanities, which will be among the most arcane stuff that you will ever read. For me, I'd take less time on a decipherable passage than 10 extra minute on an insane passage. It's all relative. In retrospect, I'm glad I don't have to do that MCAT all over again. Most of your performance on the test day will depend on luck (it'll probably fluctuate +/- 2 from your section's average, which could make a huge difference, it did for me on the fortunate side). All the new stuff on psycho/sociology will also be mess too.

I think @TheAnonymous is right. After having taken the AAMC MCAT2015 practice test, I'd say that the trial section was far more difficult, mostly because it covered the topics that the tester doesn't have to know for today's MCAT. The new practice test though has a lot of similarities with the current one in terms of the content tested, the way questions are asked, and the types of passages given. It's definitely not identical to today's test (obviously especially so for the new psych section), but it's a far cry away from a 7 hour trial section.

Obviously the depth of information seems intimidating, but I really think people taking it will be pleasantly surprised. I guess we'll find out in a few months. ;)