This thanksgiving, I'm thankful for....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cynic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thankful for my own health and for the health of my family.

I'm thankful that I've got a warm place to sleep, food to eat, and clothes.

I'm thankful for my wife, who tolerates way too much life/relationship stress, sacrifices more than me with less recognition, and deserves far better than me.

I'm thankful for the service men and women who don't get to be with their families, who put their lives on the line so we can live free, without fear of random mortar fire or random buses blowing up.

I'm thankful for having the greatest job in the world. In spite of the insane amounts of BS we tolerate, it's still the best job ever.

I'm thankful for my coworkers, from the ED tech who gets the tough IV to the nurse who says "are you sure you want to..." to the attendings and residents who uniformly have had my back, 24/7.

I'm thankful I don't have to suffer addiction, that the worst aches and pains I have are relieved with a hot shower and some ibuprofen.

I'm thankful I've got the day off;
and I'm thankful for my co-workers who are working so I can have it off.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although the post was beautiful and very heart warming; as a Muslim who was raised in the west, I still have yet to understand the concept of Thanks Giving. Muslims are taught that this act of being thankful is supposed to be done on a daily basis multiple times a day. It is one of the reasons we pray five times a day and we are supposed to be actively aware of our blessings. Sure some people don't do this and get sucked up into the whirlwind of life, but I always assumed that almost all religions make it mandatory to thank the higher power for whatever they have been blessed with.

I assume that most people who celebrate Thanksgiving don't just do this only once a year and are probably very grateful for what they have. Anyway, if anyone wants to chime in and clarify, I would love to hear it. Also, please don't assume that I was writing this to stir up controversy or be offensive, I promise I was only doing it for the sake of clarification and discourse.

Anyway, since my family does not celebrate thanks giving, Christmas, or New years, nothing makes me happier than being able to work on those days so that my friends can enjoy their time with their friends and family. It has been my tradition from my first job. I do this with great pleasure as I have never had a day when my colleagues have said: "No you can't enjoy the Eid Celebration with your family this year." Although, an OB/GYN Attending tried pulling this off during med school, I have never had an issue with it

Anyway, thanks for the beautiful post, and I hope to see more like it.

I don't see Thanksgiving as a Christian holiday. It's much more of an American holiday in my mind. Sure, the Pilgrims were Christian, but it isn't celebrated in other Christian countries.

Reactions: 1 user
bump

I'm thankful to more often be a provider, rather than a utilizer, of healthcare.

Consultants who care about doing right by the patient.

Reactions: 1 user