Program-Specific Info / Q's Thomas Jefferson Late Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelpMeBeAnOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a Thomas Jefferson interview on the very last day--April 27th.
This seems very late to me. When I asked, the person in admissions said that it may be an interview for a spot, or maybe just for the wait list. Does anyone have any additional info on what's up with these late interviews? It's my very last chance at OT for the Fall, so fingers are crossed!

Members don't see this ad.

This is their first year doing interviews, so they are probably just trying to work out the kinks.

Yeah at least it will be a good opportunity to practice and you'll be more prepared next cycle (if you don't get in this time :p)

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't seem like they have many spots left and their waitlist (I saw on another thread) already has 60 applicants on it.

I interviewed in March and after the whole process and how TJU handled everything I've been very turned off from them and (assuming I have to reapply next year) am unsure if I would ever apply there again.

It doesn't seem like they have many spots left and their waitlist (I saw on another thread) already has 60 applicants on it.

I interviewed in March and after the whole process and how TJU handled everything I've been very turned off from them and (assuming I have to reapply next year) am unsure if I would ever apply there again.

Agreed. I am already accepted elsewhere that I not only prefer, but is about $20,000 cheaper...however, I have an interview scheduled for this Friday. I do not know what to expect insofar as acceptance, however I don't expect much truth be told. And after all I've been through with the admissions process, the experience has been less than pleasant. They'd really have to "woo" me but I am being respectful nonetheless and being wholly appreciative of every chance I've been afforded.

Reactions: 1 user

What was so bad? I am curious because I found everyone I encountered to be extremely helpful and addressed all my questions quickly.

Last edited:
I don't mean to bash TJU at all, they have an AMAZING program and I definitely fell in love with it and the philadelphia area. If I were to base it on solely the program I would definitely reapply next year. With that being said--maybe I just had a poor experience with them and how they handled the process AFTER my interview. Although I know a girl I interviewed with feels the same way that I do.

Anyway, I hope your interview Friday goes well! It was pretty laid back and I definitely had a good experience during the interview and hope that all future interviews are the same!

Check out the other thread "Thomas Jefferson OT Help?" it talks ab

What was so bad? I am curious because I found everyone I encountered to be extremely helpful and addressed all my questions quickly.

Were you accepted?

I don't mean to bash TJU at all, they have an AMAZING program and I definitely fell in love with it and the philadelphia area. If I were to base it on solely the program I would definitely reapply next year. With that being said--maybe I just had a poor experience with them and how they handled the process AFTER my interview. Although I know a girl I interviewed with feels the same way that I do.

Anyway, I hope your interview Friday goes well! It was pretty laid back and I definitely had a good experience during the interview and hope that all future interviews are the same!
I am curious to know what exactly went wrong after the interview with how they handled things for you? I also interviewed there and I am waiting to hear back from them but I haven't had an unpleasant experience with them at all.

I don't want to give any specifics, sorry. But I am glad you've had a good experience! When did you interview?

I really am just in the minority of people who have had a poor experience with TJU. It really is such a great program and I don't want to diminish that at all.

My grievances, as I've aired them, are more with their mailroom-- they somehow never received my MAT scores (not a problem with the 4 other schools they were sent to), then took another month to get the other copy I had sent direct, and gave me generally lame answers as to why it is taking so long ("it can take 4-6 weeks for us to receive it" my ass) and seemed like they were just not pressing the issue ("when it comes, it comes, no rush" when, in reality, there is a huge rush.) That is why I'm interviewing so late, for what seems like nothing, and that's why I'm a little sour on the program.

I don't want to give any specifics, sorry. But I am glad you've had a good experience! When did you interview?

I really am just in the minority of people who have had a poor experience with TJU. It really is such a great program and I don't want to diminish that at all.
I interviewed earlier in the month. I am hoping to hear back soon, but it sounds like they are pretty much full if their waitlist is so big already.

TJU does their wait list a little differently than most schools. They don't just assign you a number and leave you there, they actually genuinely take updates into consideration when spots open in the class. Therefore, don't assume if you're on the wait list that means you don't stand a chance! If you have more observation/work experience, new grades, etc since you first applied months ago, and/or can get an extra letter of recommendation (especially from an OT), email Don and tell him how passionate you are about OT & TJU's program! I am currently a student at TJU, was accepted from the wait list last July, and know at least 3 people in my class accepted from the wait list later than I was. One year in, and still couldn't be happier or more grateful to be where I am. :) The application process is SO stressful but it really is worth it so hang in there! Good luck y'all!

I've got a Thomas Jefferson interview on the very last day--April 27th.
This seems very late to me. When I asked, the person in admissions said that it may be an interview for a spot, or maybe just for the wait list. Does anyone have any additional info on what's up with these late interviews? It's my very last chance at OT for the Fall, so fingers are crossed!

I have an interview scheduled for the 27th as well. I got an email last Tuesday inviting me to an interview and the only day left to sign up was the 27th. Wish I would've had a little more notice since I live out-of-state, but I'm happy to be invited to an interview. I'm nervous though and I hear it's a group interview which makes me even more nervous!

I just received my email about being waitlisted for the program. It sounds like the program is full. I will be attending my top choice school, so I declined my spot on the waitlist.

I just received my email about being waitlisted for the program. It sounds like the program is full. I will be attending my top choice school, so I declined my spot on the waitlist.
Congrats on attending your top choice! How long after the interview did you receive your wait list offer?

Congrats on attending your top choice! How long after the interview did you receive your wait list offer?
It took exactly 3 weeks. The notice came via email in the morning exactly 3 weeks after the interview.

I initially accepted TJU's offer of admission for their EMOT program but I will be declining it this week in order to attend another program in my current state of residence that is much cheaper. That's one more spot so there is still hope for anyone headed to a late interview or on the wait list!

How was the interview? Did you find out any more information?
The interview was fun. A group of 8 of us sat around a table and answered a few questions. I didn't find out any more about the chances of acceptance, or a date that we'll know by.
I am more excited than ever to find out, though!

The interview was fun. A group of 8 of us sat around a table and answered a few questions. I didn't find out any more about the chances of acceptance, or a date that we'll know by.
I am more excited than ever to find out, though!
Glad to hear that, I just finished my interview with them. I found it to be a phenomenal experience. Thanks for the update!