Thomas Jefferson Medical College Class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FillyFlyers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start this thread up. Congrats everyone!!!! :claps:

Members don't see this ad.

Very excited about Jeff! Congratulations

Anyone got an idea of where students typically live off-campus? I'm looking at buildings around Jeff's campus, but I'd prefer to live in a building with other Jeff students. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Center City Philly is a great place if your able to afford 1,800-2,000 for 750 square feet. I would reccomend between 13-16 & Spruce. Hope this helps.

As a first year JMC student, I will say that while it is possible to spend 1800-2000 if you wish it is absolutely not needed. While there are some baller ass places out there, you can find some perfectly reasonable and accommodating apartments for 1100-1300 within a few block radius of campus. I second the Spruce Street advice. Good starting points are www.padmapper.com and old faithful, craigslist.

good luck, see you all next year

1800-2000 sounds a bit much, unless you want/need to live in luxury. It's definitely possible to find a one-bedroom apartment or a studio for a lot less than that. In my first year, I lived in a pretty nice studio (~650 sq. ft) for $850/month. This year, I'm living in a one bedroom (~750 sq. ft) for <$1300/month. I third the Spruce St. advice. It's a beautiful street! Clinton St. is also very nice.

just got my acceptance yesterday! :soexcited:

Does anyone have any additional information re on-campus housing? What it's like to live there, how noisy/not it is, or other photos of the units besides what they have on their website? Anything that anyone can share would be appreciated!

Does anyone have any additional information re on-campus housing? What it's like to live there, how noisy/not it is, or other photos of the units besides what they have on their website? Anything that anyone can share would be appreciated!

I don't live in Orlowitz or Barringer, but here are a few things I've heard from friends who do or have experienced when I visit their places.

1) It is relatively noisy since you're so close to the hospital. You'll hear a lot of sirens and helicopters.
2) Orlowitz has fire alarms that go off at 2 AM....
3) I think either Orlowitz or Barringer (maybe both?) has problems with rats.
4) The elevators are crapshoot. I've waited 10+ minutes for an elevator in Barringer.

I'd say that both Orlowitz and Barringer are expensive. However, if you're coming from out of state and are unfamiliar with the area, it is convenient for the first year. Once you're acquainted with Center City, you can easily find a better deal.

As for Martin, it's like living in a college dorm with communal bathrooms and communal kitchen. If you want to be comfortable, I would not recommend Martin.

Congrats everyone!!!

Hey, is anyone planing on attending the second look day? I live and work in DC, so will prob only be able to make the Friday if at all. Just wondering if anyone had any idea if it is worthwhile . . .

I would suggest that Second look is a great opportunity to look for housing and get comfortable with the area.

also, for those looking at housing, there are options a few blocks off campus that you might be able to get below 1,000.

additionally, medical fraternities exist at jefferson to give students options for cheap housing. second look is a great way to check these out if you aren't sure about how they work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea where to find info on the med frats on Jeff's website? I can't find anything..

Last edited:
just got my acceptance yesterday!
Congrats! I just got my acceptance today! I'm very excited to make the move to Philly and start getting situated.
:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:
Is everyone planning on living by themselves or rooming with someone else/randoms?

I'm a current 4th year Jeff student who is just graduating and moving to the city of my internship. I live in Chinatown which is a cheap (only moderately sketchy) place to live. I've got a bunch of stuff to get rid of and I just posted all of it on craigslist.

Here is the link: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/fuo/2933481128.html

Contact me through the craigslist link if you are interested in anything.

Good luck and Congrats! You have a lot ahead of you! :thumbup:

Any idea where to find info on the med frats on Jeff's website? I can't find anything..

I'm also trying to look up information on medical fraternities, so if you find anything out, feel free to post it here :D

Hey guys, great questions.

Regarding Medical Fraternities at Jefferson Medical College, there are 4 options for you.
AKK, Phi Alpha, Phi Chi, and Nu Sigma Nu are four fraternities at Jefferson's campus. They provide cheap (200-400 dollars per month) housing, offer a library of learning resources, provide an instant alumni network, and a helpful support network of current M2, M3, and M4 Jefferson students.

Information will be sent out shortly on the Class of 2016 Facebook page. Additionally, there will be information provided at Second Look on April 26th.

Currently three of the four fraternities are male-only. One of the fraternities may accept women for the next year (August 2012). They are not like your traditional "undergrad frat" mentality, and mostly function as academic support/ cheap housing alternatives. Considering the cost of a loan, living in one of the four fraternities can save students up to 70,000 dollars over four years. Additionally, the advice and academic support that comes with 15 guys of various medical interests and years within Jeff is priceless.

In terms of finding out information on Jefferson's website about the fraternities, there is no formal relationship between JMC and the medical fraternities. Ad hoc information will be provided, however, at second look and afterwards.

Hope this helps!

-Proud Jeff student and fraternity member

Thanks for starting this thread & I'd like to reiterate congratulations! I'm looking forward to getting to know our class!

Are there any Jeff 2016 ladies looking for an off-campus apartment share? I've found a great 2 bedroom place very close to campus (locust & quince) with a lease starting in May. We'd each pay $1750/month - washer/dryer in unit, beautiful building.

If you're interested let's exchange messages & more info!

Congrats again - looking forward :D

Hey has anyone received any information about pre-matriculation requirements for Jefferson? I'm just getting a little paranoid as I haven't received anything and wanted to see if that was the case for everyone else.

Also, does anyone know when tuition is actually due? Or a bigger deposit than the $100? Is it at registration? Couldn't seem to find this info online.

Thanks very much, congrats to everyone and look forward to seeing you in a few months!

I haven't gotten any info either. I read somewhere that tuition is due ~the week of registration. I'm getting anxious too! I wanna have this settled in stone...

Hey has anyone received any information about pre-matriculation requirements for Jefferson? I'm just getting a little paranoid as I haven't received anything and wanted to see if that was the case for everyone else.

Also, does anyone know when tuition is actually due? Or a bigger deposit than the $100? Is it at registration? Couldn't seem to find this info online.

Thanks very much, congrats to everyone and look forward to seeing you in a few months!

Since I got accepted in April, I received many emails from them, including a link to the pre-matriculation requierements (http://www.jefferson.edu/jmc/admissions/matriculation.cfm). You should have received a campus key, which you can use to log into Jefferson banner web (https://banner.jefferson.edu/). There you can apply for financial aid (I'm not sure how it works if your parents are paying for everything). You should definitely call the financial aid office if you have any questions. Once your financial aid is complete, they send you an email to your JEFFERSON email.

When was the last email you received from them? I haven't heard anything for a while (April 20 was the last email) and I'm getting worried they forgot about me!

When was the last email you received from them? I haven't heard anything for a while (April 20 was the last email) and I'm getting worried they forgot about me!

The last mass email I received was on April 18. I also received an email on my Jeff mail about two weeks ago regarding my financial aid (I just completed the requierements for it).

I also wish we would receive some more detailed information soon- especially since the link to the pre-matriculation requirements primarily has dates for last year! They don't even know when this year's white coat ceremony is yet, evidently. I hope that when they have accepted some more people from the wait list and filled out the class a bit more they will provide us with some more information. I'm crossing my fingers that we will all receive some valuable information soon- still waiting for my housing assignment, too!

I also wish we would receive some more detailed information soon- especially since the link to the pre-matriculation requirements primarily has dates for last year! They don't even know when this year's white coat ceremony is yet, evidently. I hope that when they have accepted some more people from the wait list and filled out the class a bit more they will provide us with some more information. I'm crossing my fingers that we will all receive some valuable information soon- still waiting for my housing assignment, too!

They sent us a Preliminary Calendar:

Second Look Event April 26-27, 2012
1st Year Registration July 30, 2012 9:00 a.m.
Orientation July 31 – August 3, 2012 9:00 a.m.
White Coat Ceremony August 3, 2012 9:00 a.m.
1st Teaching Block Begins August 6, 2012 9:00 a.m.
Holiday Break December 24, 2012 – January 2, 2013
Spring Break March 8 – March 18, 2013
Academic Year Ends June 7, 2013
Projected Graduation Date May/June 2016

They sent us a Preliminary Calendar:

Second Look Event April 26-27, 2012
1st Year Registration July 30, 2012 9:00 a.m.
Orientation July 31 – August 3, 2012 9:00 a.m.
White Coat Ceremony August 3, 2012 9:00 a.m.
1st Teaching Block Begins August 6, 2012 9:00 a.m.
Holiday Break December 24, 2012 – January 2, 2013
Spring Break March 8 – March 18, 2013
Academic Year Ends June 7, 2013
Projected Graduation Date May/June 2016
Thank you so much! Very helpful :)