Program-Specific Info / Q's Thomas Jefferson Unversity 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I GOT AN INTERVIEW!

the problem is that I live on the west coast and I was JUST east for new years... I would love to have a month of not dragging myself across the country. Does anyone have any insight as to how they do acceptances? If I go for an interview in February am I less likely to get in that if I take the next available spot?

Members don't see this ad.

I GOT AN INTERVIEW!

the problem is that I live on the west coast and I was JUST east for new years... I would love to have a month of not dragging myself across the country. Does anyone have any insight as to how they do acceptances? If I go for an interview in February am I less likely to get in that if I take the next available spot?
For OTD or MOT? I think the process is a little different between programs.

Just got an interview ! Will be going on March 7th. I have been accepted to Nova and plan on going there, but figured I might as well interview--nothing to lose!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, guys! I got an interview and will be there the 15th! I did interview here late last year. It was a pretty basic group setting, with a tour afterward :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be interviewing in January as well! Any advice? Not too sure what to expect in a group interview but very excited to learn more about TJU. Thanks!

Best of luck to all of us, then!
It was my first (and only, so far) OT interview, so I'm definitely not an expert. Advice that helped me was to have questions prepared for them, and to be yourself!

Has anyone heard back about the MOT program after an interview yet?

Has anyone heard back about the MOT program after an interview yet?
Haven't heard anything yet, aside from an email letting me know which prerequisites I still have to complete. When were you told you might hear back by?

I just got my acceptance email for the OTD program 15 minutes ago! I interviewed in late December. I'm so thrilled and shocked I heard back so soon. Such a relief!

Reactions: 2 users
I just got my acceptance email for the OTD program 15 minutes ago! I interviewed in late December. I'm so thrilled and shocked I heard back so soon. Such a relief!
Congratulations! That's awesome. :D Do you think you will attend?
I'm still nervously awaiting news from my MOT interview.

Congrats @Bokonomy ! I received my acceptance as well for the MSOT program! Very excited!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats @Bokonomy ! I received my acceptance as well for the MSOT program! Very excited!!

If you don't mind me asking, around how long ago did you interview and when did you hear back?

Congratulations! That's awesome. :D Do you think you will attend?
I'm still nervously awaiting news from my MOT interview.
I'm leaning towards Jeff, but I have an interview at University of New England next week, and it's closer to home for me. Part of me wants to get waitlisted to UNE and Salus so it could make up my mind for me. ;)

Good luck to you!

Do you think you'll attend? I'm kind of nervous because it'll be far from home for me (and likely very expensive for the OTD), but the program seemed fantastic, and I'm a bit star-struck by some of the research going on. ;)

If you don't mind me asking, around how long ago did you interview and when did you hear back?
I interviewed on December 17th an just heard back last night!

Do you think you'll attend? I'm kind of nervous because it'll be far from home for me (and likely very expensive for the OTD), but the program seemed fantastic, and I'm a bit star-struck by some of the research going on. ;)

I most likely will, it's pretty close to where I live now.. and yes, the program seems really great and they have a lot of affiliations as well! :)

I'm leaning towards Jeff, but I have an interview at University of New England next week, and it's closer to home for me. Part of me wants to get waitlisted to UNE and Salus so it could make up my mind for me. ;)

It sounds like you are giving Salus equal consideration to Jeff. Can you elaborate on your thoughts for that? Other than money, I have a hard time figuring out how to figure out which school to choose

It sounds like you are giving Salus equal consideration to Jeff. Can you elaborate on your thoughts for that? Other than money, I have a hard time figuring out how to figure out which school to choose
Salus arranged for me to come in the day before my Jefferson date since I was out of state and on break (and it would have been difficult otherwise). That level of consideration meant a lot to me. My interest is in autism, but the background in low vision at Salus was interesting. Mainly it's the debt that's scaring me, since I applied to the OTD program. I don't know the cost yet for TJU yet, though, but in previous years theyve provided scholarships.

I most likely will, it's pretty close to where I live now.. and yes, the program seems really great and they have a lot of affiliations as well! :)
Did you hear anything about scholarships? I haven't, but I've heard in previous years of people being offered some, along with graduate assistantships. I hope to hear back soon! :)

Congrats to those that have been accepted to TJU! As a current student, I have to say that I think the program is amazing. To be honest, if you are offered a spot, I would seriously take it into consideration. I have no regrets!

Congrats to those that have been accepted to TJU! As a current student, I have to say that I think the program is amazing. To be honest, if you are offered a spot, I would seriously take it into consideration. I have no regrets!

Any details? What year are you? What do you like best? Is the schedule super demanding? Are the instructors supportive/easy to get in touch with?

Thanks!

Did you hear anything about scholarships? I haven't, but I've heard in previous years of people being offered some, along with graduate assistantships. I hope to hear back soon! :)

Haven't heard anything yet either, but they are probably one of the only schools I've applied that actually offer scholarships!

Hello all! Congrats to everyone with interviews! About how long after submitting your application did you hear about an interview?

Hello all! Congrats to everyone with interviews! About how long after submitting your application did you hear about an interview?
You'll hear about the supplemental app first. After that, a week and a half maybe? It probably depends when you submit?

Awesome, thanks! I did get the supplemental app already. I applied really late (1/6) and I really have no idea how big of an effect that is going to have.

Just got in to the EMOT program!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my acceptance to the EMOT program, too! Don't know if I'll be accepting, but it's an exciting offer!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to you both! Would you mind sharing your stats?
Thank you!! I am so very excited. I applied to many programs last year and was not accepted to any, so this is a huge relief.
My stats:
Undergrad: University of Florida
Major: Exercise Physiology
Minor: Communications
Overall GPA: 3.42
Prerequisite GPA: 3.49 (but higher, now that I've re-taken two classes that I got C+'s in)
OT experience: 640 hours of shadowing (including an internship) primarily at a hand clinic, but with some experience in peds, neuro, hippotherapy, and elder rehab.
Extra curriculars: varsity crew team captain in college, 18 year martial arts experience.
Currently working as a behavioral health educator at a drug rehab center.

Has anyone considered housing at all? The pamphlet they gave us said about 40 percent or so live on campus, so I'm thinking of going that route...too bad it's quite pricy!

Has anyone considered housing at all? The pamphlet they gave us said about 40 percent or so live on campus, so I'm thinking of going that route...too bad it's quite pricy!

I was certainly considering it! But then again I live about 30-40 minutes away, so to save I'll be commuting! Living on campus is definitely a bit expensive but there are also other studios or apartments for rent on Craigslist that are much more cost effective.

I was certainly considering it! But then again I live about 30-40 minutes away, so to save I'll be commuting! Living on campus is definitely a bit expensive but there are also other studios or apartments for rent on Craigslist that are much more cost effective.
There's not much in the area that's reasonable from what I looked at. :/ I was thinking of going more south, or maybe Northern Liberties if I'm not on campus. If I don't bring my car, how is SEPTA if you're not in the very middle of the city?

There's not much in the area that's reasonable from what I looked at. :/ I was thinking of going more south, or maybe Northern Liberties if I'm not on campus. If I don't bring my car, how is SEPTA if you're not in the very middle of the city?
I hear ya... There's this management I was looking into last year called Berger properties, they have some apartments in different areas in philly with reasonable rent, not too sure how far away some are from Jefferson though!

And I'll be taking septa's regional rail. It's really not that bad at all. There can be a delay in it coming sometimes but it's much more convenient than driving and having to find/pay for parking.

Does anyone have information on the interviews I just received one today for the bs/ms program like what kind of things did they ask or things that you had to do? I'm very nervous!

Does anyone have information on the interviews I just received one today for the bs/ms program like what kind of things did they ask or things that you had to do? I'm very nervous!
I interviewed for the masters program, so I'm not sure if it's the same or not but it was a group interview. There was also an activity to try to get a feel of how much you know about ot. Most of the questions revolved around the activity.

Good luck! You'll do great!

Okay what kind of questions did they ask about ot where they challenging questions?

Know about current trends in the profession aka where it is heading in the future/be up to date on some research. Be ready to think creatively for the activity and make sure you emphasize how you work well in a team.

Has anyone recently heard back anything from Jefferson's MOT program? I interviewed in November before Thanksgiving and I still haven't heard anything...

Has anyone recently heard back anything from Jefferson's MOT program? I interviewed in November before Thanksgiving and I still haven't heard anything...

That's probably good. I interviewed after you and got rejected two weeks later (ha, ouch), so you're probably still being considered. However, they definitely mentioned that we'd hear back in three-four weeks, so maybe follow up? But I'm guessing you'll hear back soon.

That's probably good. I interviewed after you and got rejected two weeks later (ha, ouch), so you're probably still being considered. However, they definitely mentioned that we'd hear back in three-four weeks, so maybe follow up? But I'm guessing you'll hear back soon.

Oh okay very true! And I'm sorry about not getting in, their loss!! But yeah I've been in touch with Leslie... I'm definetly just getting impatient! Lol

Oh okay very true! And I'm sorry about not getting in, their loss!! But yeah I've been in touch with Leslie... I'm definetly just getting impatient! Lol
Just a guess, but the first wave of interviews went out Jan. 13, and I was given a month to accept, which would mean they'd be hearing back from us now. So maybe you'll hear back next week?

Yeah, everyone at the interview was great (including myself? haha, tooting my own horn), and obviously they have to make cuts and know what they're looking for. Guess I wasn't it! And when I signed up for my interview, there were only a few dates listed for options.. so it seems like it's getting down to the wire. Good luck to you!

Does anyone know if there's a Facebook group for the 2018/2019 class yet? :)

Wow... 2019 sounds weirdly far away.

Did you end up hearing back yet? I also interviewed around then.