Thomas Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PNWgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when Thomas Jefferson will start interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea, I got an e mail from them about a month ago saying they received my application and haven't heard anything since.

Thank goodness for this thread because I just realized I needed to complete the supplemental app, UGH it's so frustrated because they sent me an email about it November 20th. I thought I had completed it, but when I logged in I didn't =(

I know it's a rolling application too. Oh well..

Members don't see this ad :)
I just saw your post on here! I'm still waiting to hear back from Jefferson. Has anyone else heard from them yet? PNWGirl - I had heard from their admissions advisor that they were not planning on doing interviews this year (as of September 2013)! Not sure if that was changed since then!

Good luck!

I heard back from Jefferson today that I got accepted by email and there wasn't an interview. I was also waiting to hear back about an interview but I guess they are just sending emails.

That is fantastic! Congrats to you!

Do you mind telling us when you submitted your application?

Thanks! I submitted my application around the first week of October and it was verified by OTCAS on November 8. Then I received an email from them asking to send my GRE scores. I am not entirely sure if I want to go here, I didn't think I was going to get in and this was my first acceptance!

It's a great first acceptance :) Congrats and best of luck deciding where you'll end up!

(And thanks for your info!)

Thanks! I submitted my application around the first week of October and it was verified by OTCAS on November 8. Then I received an email from them asking to send my GRE scores. I am not entirely sure if I want to go here, I didn't think I was going to get in and this was my first acceptance!

Congrats! Do you mind telling us your stats?

Congrats! ya I got an email back in the end of November asking me how I was doing in my last A&P class, but then I heard nothing again. I would love to go here or NOVA and I was already accepted to NOVA, but I would seriously reconsider if I got into Thomas Jefferson

Thanks OT24! Here are my stats:

Major: Biological Sciences and Fashion and Textile Management, French minor
Overall GPA: 3.26
Experience: I did about 200 hours in 4 different settings. I also volunteered and did research while in college and I was very active in a group on campus for four years.
GRE: 149V, 148Q, 4.0 A

I don't think my stats are impressive as others, but I was very determined and worked very hard. My personal statement may have also been a factor as well. I also have two interviews with ATSU and Touro (NV).

Good to know. I'm still waiting to be verified by OTCAS. (I submitted everything a couple of weeks ago) I'm guessing I won't get the supplimental app until after everythings verified. I was worried when I attended an open house there because the average GPA seemed very high. My stats are similar to yours. I have a 3.3 and got a 159V and 152Q on the GRE. Hopefully I didn't apply too late...

I'm sure you will hear from them soon! I was so scared I wasn't going to get in anywhere, also I called to confirm there was no interview for those still wondering.

Is there a particular reason why you wanted to go to this school? I was debating whether or not to go here since the cost of living is so high compared to other cities. I heard that it doesn't matter where you go to school for OT but my friends tell me I should go to a school that is ranked high. I have always lived in NC and never lived on my own so I thought this would be a good experience for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure you will hear from them soon! I was so scared I wasn't going to get in anywhere, also I called to confirm there was no interview for those still wondering.

Is there a particular reason why you wanted to go to this school? I was debating whether or not to go here since the cost of living is so high compared to other cities. I heard that it doesn't matter where you go to school for OT but my friends tell me I should go to a school that is ranked high. I have always lived in NC and never lived on my own so I thought this would be a good experience for me.

I attended an info session there and I was really impressed with the program. It's ranked highly and I am already in the Philly area. What cities are you comparing the cost of living to?I actually think it is one of the more livable cities; especially compared to New York.

Thomas Jefferson is highly ranked and for good reasons! I also attended one of their information sessions and also became very interested in their program. They place heavy importance on their students receiving as much real-world OT experience as possible (If I remember correctly, they start observations within their the very first semester according to their information session!). They also place emphasis on constructing an inter-clinical team approach to treatment. Their students have opportunities to work with other Jefferson students working on their PT/RN/Med School/etc. degrees. I currently work as a Rehab Aide and there hasn't been a day yet that I haven't I seen firsthand the importance of working with other members of the clinical team for OT's. Additionally, for what it is worth, I really appreciated the overall atmosphere of the school. The students that I met at the information session genuinely seemed to be happy to be there, as did the professors and admissions team.

And last but certainly not least, I grew up outside of the Philly area - Jefferson's location is perfect. If you are ever not studying, there is SO much to do in that area (and the surrounding areas). Sports, museums, food, nights out, shows; so, so, so much to explore and see!

Good luck deciding where you'll end up!

Thanks for your replies OT24 and khe5014.

I was comparing the cost of living with NC and AZ. I was looking around for places to live and it seems exponentially higher in Philadelphia. I was also concerned with the tuition costs as well.

Do you know any cheap places to live in the city? My friend said that living on campus would be a good idea since it is furnished.

Living in the city can definitely come with high rent! I didn't see the campus housing when I went to visit, but I've heard it is decent enough. The location cannot get any better!

Also, a good number of my friends live together in townhomes/rowhomes to split the cost of rent in South Philly, Northern Liberties, Fishtown, Chinatown, even some in Society Hill, Washington Square and Rittenhouse Square areas. The Art Museum area is also a great place to look, but does not have a major subway/Septa station near by. (There are buses though!)

Also, areas that are definitely fun to be in, but that are not directly in the city (and lower cost of living) are Manayunk and Narberth. Those areas are close enough to Philly that you can still go in for class and fun things, but the prices are more doable (they can be about a $25 cab ride home, or a 15-20 minute Septa train ride away). They also have their own fun little downtown areas to check out!

Anyone else waitlisted at Jefferson? And is anyone aware of, on average, how many people they take from the wait list??

I was waitlisted, but I didn't have them hold my spot because I was accepted elsewhere.

Finally got a link to the supplemental app... still waiting now for a decision.. hope its not much longer!

I applied in October and sent in my supplemental application almost two months ago. It seems a little weird that I haven't hear yet considering that other people have been notified that were verified after me...do you guys think I should call them to make sure everyone is in place and there were no issues with OTCAS or something? I am also waiting on UPitt and haven't heard a peep from them either.

I applied in October and sent in my supplemental application almost two months ago. It seems a little weird that I haven't hear yet considering that other people have been notified that were verified after me...do you guys think I should call them to make sure everyone is in place and there were no issues with OTCAS or something? I am also waiting on UPitt and haven't heard a peep from them either.

Hm that does sound like a long time. I would probably call if I were you. Especially if your waiting on other schools as well.

I'm on the same boat as you =( Maybe we should give them a call..

I'm on the same boat as you =( Maybe we should give them a call..

Did you ever hear back from them after sending the supplimental app? I know they sent me an email with an attached .pdf which explained that my app was being passed on to the committee. Either way, I would probably give them a call to check up -- couldn't hurt.

I contacted Jefferson at the end of December because I also applied in October. Got a response saying it takes 4-6 weeks after the supplemental app but at this point it was way over 6 weeks. I was told to email Don (which I did and got no response). Emailed him again today and waiting to hear back.

Did you ever hear back from them after sending the supplimental app? I know they sent me an email with an attached .pdf which explained that my app was being passed on to the committee. Either way, I would probably give them a call to check up -- couldn't hurt.

Yeah I submitted my app in Sept completed Supp in October....I think its safe to say we didn't get admitted. People have already received admission to Jeffereson that applied well after me. Luckily I have received admission to other schools. But what I have found is if your app isn't as competitive as other apps that they are receiving but not completely out the running, they will hold your app and when they have narrowed out all the qualified apps if spots are available they will offer you admission or waitlist you....I had applied to Dyouville and this is what was stated they were doing with my app...I still haven't heard a decision from them either....Goodluck either way!

Yeah I called him a couple days ago and he said I would probably hear on Thursday or Friday. I have a feeling its going to be a no for me too. I got into a local small school though so I am planning on going there :)

Yeah I called him a couple days ago and he said I would probably hear on Thursday or Friday. I have a feeling its going to be a no for me too. I got into a local small school though so I am planning on going there :)

Who did you speak to? Don? Did he offer any insight on why it has taken so long for you?

Edit: Just got off the phone with Don. He told me that they are currently operating on a waitlist, yet they are still accepting and processing applications. Even though I've been OTCAS verified since mid Jan., he told me the commitee isn't even looking at it for another few weeks.

This sounds like an really long time to process an application and give a decision. I have to admit I'm pretty suprised considering the turn around of other schools I have applied to. No wonder some of you submitted in Oct and still haven't heard. Crazy!

Last edited:
FYI to anyone wondering. Got this email today. The attachment also stated that no one has been accepted off the wait list as of today.

Thank you for your interest in the Entry Level Master’s in Occupational Therapy Program at Thomas Jefferson University.

Although you may have applied through OTCAS earlier in the season, your application became officially complete with Jefferson during the last 5 weeks.

I want to take this time to inform you that the Entry Level Master’s Program in Occupational Therapy at Jefferson is full for the fall of 2013 and we are not offering any more acceptances. Jefferson Occupational Therapy practices a rolling admissions policy and we encourage students to apply early:

http://www.jefferson.edu/health_professions/admissions/apply_results.cfm

http://www.jefferson.edu/health_professions/admissions/deadlines/review_periods.cfm

OTCAS is in the process of shutting down the OTCAS application and we are currently updating our website to inform prospective students of this development.

Going forward, applications will receive one of two decisions: wait list of denial.

1) If you are interested in having your application reviewed, please email me and confirm.
2) If you are no longer interested in the program, please email me and we can remove your application for consideration.

If we do not hear from you by Friday, March 1st at 2:00 p.m. EST we will assume that you are no longer interested in the EMOT program at Jefferson and your application will be withdrawn.

If you would like to apply for the class beginning in September 2014 the OTCAS application will go ‘live’ in early July. Although we cannot defer your application or save your application for the next review cycle I would be more than happy to assist you in the admissions process. Jefferson practices rolling admissions and we generally start reviewing applications in September and making offers for our programs in November.

If you have any questions about our waiting list I have attached some information.

Please understand that the attached information is for educational purposes only and your admissions decision has not been officially decided.

Sincerely,

Don Sharples

FYI to anyone wondering. Got this email today. The attachment also stated that no one has been accepted off the wait list as of today.

I wonder why I didn't get this email. I got one this am asking the status of my pending classes but that was all. Waiting is the worst!

I would just like to receive something...I literally have not heard from them since September when I submitted my Supplemental application....I mean a denial a waitlist acceptance something....what kind of business is this?? I have already been accepted to two programs but it just seems as though all the programs I applied to on the East coast, which were my preferred demographic haven't told me anything about my status??

I would just like to receive something...I literally have not heard from them since September when I submitted my Supplemental application....I mean a denial a waitlist acceptance something....what kind of business is this?? I have already been accepted to two programs but it just seems as though all the programs I applied to on the East coast, which were my preferred demographic haven't told me anything about my status??

I suggest emailing them. I think the only reason I am getting some kind of communication is because I emailed them asking what my status was.

Have you called? Your app MUST have gotten lost in the shuffle or maybe you were wait listed and they forgot to tell you. Who knows.. stranger things have happened. If you want peace of mind just call Don... I got right through and he was able to tell me my status within a matter of minutes.

So I have concluded that Thomas Jefferson is highly unorganized and probably lost or misplaced my file. I received the email today from "Don" stating that they are no longer accepting any more applications as their program is full and now they are functioning on a waitlist basis...It also stated that I am missing info from my application that could range from missing GRE Scores to the $25 admission fee. Which neither are true considering my file has been listed as complete since early October. The interesting part is I tried to call Don right after I got the email to see if I could get him to admit that they actually just misplace my file, but the call went straight to voicemail stating he will be out of the office all day. I find that to be funny considering the email supposedly came from him. I'll try back tomorrow and see what he says.

So I have concluded that Thomas Jefferson is highly unorganized and probably lost or misplaced my file. I received the email today from "Don" stating that they are no longer accepting any more applications as their program is full and now they are functioning on a waitlist basis...It also stated that I am missing info from my application that could range from missing GRE Scores to the $25 admission fee. Which neither are true considering my file has been listed as complete since early October. The interesting part is I tried to call Don right after I got the email to see if I could get him to admit that they actually just misplace my file, but the call went straight to voicemail stating he will be out of the office all day. I find that to be funny considering the email supposedly came from him. I'll try back tomorrow and see what he says.

Wow... when I called him the other day I got him right away. They definitely owe you an explanation. Did you accidentally send your GRE scores to the wrong Jefferson code? I did this at first and then realized my mistake and paid the money to have them sent to the right one. (Jefferson apparently has like 3 different GRE recipient codes for their different schools). You would think they would reach out to you before now... unbelievable.

I got an e-mail today with my acceptance and a scholarship offer of 20,000 over the two years!:eek: I called like three weeks ago and Don said that I would hear in a couple days and then I randomly got the e-mail today. Those of you that haven't heard yet don't lose hope!

I got an e-mail today with my acceptance and a scholarship offer of 20,000 over the two years!:eek: I called like three weeks ago and Don said that I would hear in a couple days and then I randomly got the e-mail today. Those of you that haven't heard yet don't lose hope!

Congrats on your acceptance! Can you tell me any information about this scholarship or was it something you had applied for in the past? I'm currently looking for scholarships at the moment.

It was just a scholarship that the University gave me, I didn't apply for it. It was based on "strong academic performance and potential for success in Occupational Therapy". I have been looking into private scholarships too and they are so hard to find. I am not accepting their offer though and am planning on going to University of Puget Sound in Washington (its only an hour away for me). So the scholarship will probably go to another candidate!

Unfortunately, I also had a very similar experience with Jefferson. Makes you wonder...

Hello! Has anyone applied to TJU yet for 2014? They were the ones who most stressed applying early so I did, and now I'm impatiently waiting for their supplemental app. For those of you who applied last year, does anyone remember how long it took after being OTCAS verified to receive the supplemental app?

I applied to TJU also this year and haven't received the supplemental application either! I'm sure we will receive it soon

Quote in an email received today from Don, the admissions coordinator: "Supplemental applications will start going out in a few weeks (by email), reviews start late September and decisions will begin in late November."

did any1 receive Supp. material from TJ? or any other schools????

i didn't. and my OTCAS was verified and complete in Aug.

I recieved an email earlier this week stating that the supplemental application will be sent out within the next week or two. Not to worry it hasn't gone out yet. :) I completed my OTCAS application in August as well as it just seems most programs want everything in very early but don't start reviews until Sept/Oct time frame even though they are rolling schools.

Ditto to coolrunnins. So impatient though!

So has anyone received the supplemental app? Should be this week right?

Anyone have any idea what is on the app/what was on it last year, like an additional essay or anything?

Thanks! Good luck everyone :)

Just curious, has anyone received the supplemental app yet?

Nope, it hasn't been sent yet. I was wondering the same thing. I think its just being held for some reason. Does anyone know what is contained within the supplement required by Jefferson?

Yes! I received it as well this morning. Was worried there would be another essay but it was extremely simple.