Those of you involved in research...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baileyy259

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you get your foot in the door? I am very interested in researching for a specific scientist, and my advisor told me to email him, but is that too much? I just don't know the right way to go about getting involved?

If I should email him, what do I say?

Members don't see this ad.

E-Mail is the best way to reach out. Tell him some basic things like courses you've taken relevant to project he is working on, your availability(how long you plan to continue) and schedule (very impt), why you want to do research, what interests you about his project. Things like that. Don't go into detail about what he's working on becasue there's no point. Also don't include resume or transcripts, but say they are available upon request.

If you don't get a response maybe his lab is full, you can try another email, or try for other faculty, becasue realistically if you are really interested in research any project will keep you on your toes as long as you learn about it and are fully engaged in it. It's not always the subject matter thats interesting, but its when you have weeks of consistent failure and then that moment when you have a success after some random trial. :)

I would recommend knocking on their door, honestly. You can send an email but if you knock on their office, come prepared with your resume, CV, or anything else and talk to them about THEIR research and what you find interesting, that is a great start. It shows you're driven and can take charge which is important for research. You can't go wrong with an email as well. They know you will not know their research in-depth but they want to see you've done some googling about what it is they do and if it is actually something you would find interesting as well.There is no reason for "available upon request" in my opinion. You're trying to get your foot in the door and they're busy. It would just be easy for them to look at your first email and your credentials and get it out of the way. Just my two cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some faculties don't like to have undergrads working in their labs and some would love to. I would email the guy and tell him/her that you are interested in the research projects in his/her lab. If you don't get response in one week, shoot an email again. If then you still hear nothing, it means he/she doesn't want you in the lab. You'd better move on to another one.

I sent an email to a PI I was interested in working for and he referred me to the lab I work in now (his lab was full). I've been there for nearly 2 years now and have enjoyed the flexibility, the people, and the work. Just do it! I don't recommend knocking on their door for two reasons though:

1.) The facility may be secured (ours is).
2.) Lab PIs tend to be very busy and often get annoyed if you just drop in on them. Many of them will see it as disrespectful.

Joining a lab is a lot like dating. Don't set your heart on that ONE person as there's a good chance they'll reject/ignore you. Apply broadly and maintain an abundance mindset. If you're at or near a big institution, then there are plenty of fish! Also, that one lab may seem like an attractive option from the outside, but their lab may be a horrible environment. We have a Nobel Laureate here and all of the undergrads want to work in his lab. I know people in that lab and am glad I work where I do. :)

Go to their office hours and tell them you want to do research with them, explain why you want to do research and how it interest you. It helps if you've taken a class with the teacher so they know you. And ill be surprised if a professor says no but if they do go to another and keep doing that till you find someone.

I wouldnt email, if you havent learned already, some professors dont email students back for whatever reason so just go talk in person.

As many have said, I would go in. I remember a friend telling me that a PI he worked with would automatically delete emails from undergrads asking to help in the lab. In his opinion, if you really had any desire to help out you would visit his office. Not every teacher is like that, but it is something to think about. Here are the steps I would follow:
1: Research what each lab is studying and pick which labs you find the most interesting.
2: Use PubMED to search the PI's name and find the most recent study. Read the study (this is easier said than done. use pubmed to search for review papers on the topic if you don't understand it).
3: Go to his/her office with a resume and talk about why you find the research interesting. Maybe bring questions about their study and bring up their recent work.

This should help you get your foot in the door. Good luck.

Are you taking a class with him? If so, come up to him after class and say that you read his research on ... and you were interested in volunteering in his lab.

I went to my school's website and it showed all of the research that my professors were conducting. When I found one that interest me, I emailed them asking if there was an opening. Don't be discouraged if many don't respond, sometimes they're just not enough space. Good luck!

How did you get your foot in the door? I am very interested in researching for a specific scientist, and my advisor told me to email him, but is that too much? I just don't know the right way to go about getting involved?

If I should email him, what do I say?
It depends on who he is. If he is someone important, you better be a junior or senior and have taken a class with him. If it's your first time doing research, then you will probably have a hard time getting into that specific lab. Most people don't get into the labs they want. The important thing is that you find a lab that you enjoy (Nice coworkers, etc.) and that you can get a publication. Some of the top researchers do not take undergrad students at all. If you have done research, you better be able to present in detail what you did.

Last edited:
He is a research professor at the Pharmacy school associated with my undergrad. I found his name by reading some articles that were of interest to me, he was cited quite often in articles on this subject. I will email him tomorrow and see what happens!