Those who UNmatched: What now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clutzyshell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So now that scrambling is looking pretty dim for me at this point and I unmatched this year...what to do? What do all of us "unmatched" do?

Me, I am confident I will retry next year, even possibly the places I thought I matched with but didn't. Seems kind of pitiful and even embarrassing... but no matter what salary I make at any 6-figure staffing positions or no matter what snickers these people will make if they see my application again next year, all I know is that I will never be happy NOT doing a residency.

Hopefully in less than 8 months (not that far from now), they will see I am 100% and determined.

So what is everyone going to do now?

- Work at a top hospital that is as clinical as possible?
- Retail?
- Involvement in pharmacy societies?
- Work on some project?
- Give up and just rake in the bucks?

Members don't see this ad.

So now that scrambling is looking pretty dim for me at this point and I unmatched this year...what to do? What do all of us "unmatched" do?

Me, I am confident I will retry next year, even possibly the places I thought I matched with but didn't. Seems kind of pitiful and even embarrassing... but no matter what salary I make at any 6-figure staffing positions or no matter what snickers these people will make if they see my application again next year, all I know is that I will never be happy NOT doing a residency.

Hopefully in less than 8 months (not that far from now), they will see I am 100% and determined.

So what is everyone going to do now?

- Work at a top hospital that is as clinical as possible?
- Retail?
- Involvement in pharmacy societies?
- Work on some project?
- Give up and just rake in the bucks?

What makes you think that you will never be happy if you don't do a residency? I think you should be open and you might actually really enjoy your new job..It seems like you really wanted to do a residency...but everything happens a reason...

I'm thinking of reapplying next year as well - just kinda unsure as to how I'm gonna improve my CV and whatnot, though I guess now wouldn't be a bad time to get in some last minute projects/posters before graduation. In the meantime, I'm gonna be working retail and applying to hospitals, just to get my foot in the door.

I just started to seriously look for jobs in the past week or so (yes, I know, bad idea).

As far as next year goes, I will only reapply if a) I really do something to improve myself or b) I apply to different, less competitive (unaccredited perhaps?) residencies. Otherwise I feel that the outcome will probably be the same, and I'm not sure that I want to go through all of this again just to end up in the same boat. I invested a lot of time and money in the process, and some days I feel foolish about it now.

P.S. I agree with the above poster that said everything happens for a reason! I'm just trying to figure out what the right path is for me...I don't think it's going to be community pharmacy and that seems like the common sense "easiest" path to take.