Thought this was interesting regarding Caribbean grads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahyes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very anecdotal story...

I called a health insurance company regarding a private plan on two separate occasions and apparently both of the receptionists I talked to are "Doctors." I thought it was very odd that a doctor would be answering a phone at all, let alone for an insurance company, so I inquired about their education. Both attended "top" caribbean medical schools. Neither has done a residency.

Is this where the people that don't match out of caribbean schools (but I assume graduated since they are both "doctors") go to start paying back their astronomical loans?

I find it very sad that someone who has gone through four years of post-secondary training is answering phones for an insurance company. The job consisted of asking me pre-written questions and inputing the answer into the computer.

Members don't see this ad.

That is a shame. The caribbean is becoming less viable option each year. If I were in the position, I have no idea what I would do. It is amazing how they have the strength to move on despite the immense burden of debt (unless they happened to pay for their educations in full)

It's official...no carib for meee...

Members don't see this ad :)
That is a shame. The caribbean is becoming less viable option each year. If I were in the position, I have no idea what I would do. It is amazing how they have the strength to move on despite the immense burden of debt (unless they happened to pay for their educations in full)

Even though we bash people who go there, some might not know that it isn't the best idea. I mean outside of SDN, I know a lot of premeds in my school who see no difference in going there. So I feel bad for these people...

Even though we bash people who go there, some might not know that it isn't the best idea. I mean outside of SDN, I know a lot of premeds in my school who see no difference in going there. So I feel bad for these people...

+1. I completely agree there are just too many people that do not see the difference. One person I knew talked about how cool it was that his sister was going to med school in the caribb's. I didn't have to heart to tell him that his sister took the route of desperation. I just smiled and nodded my head.

Another "anecdotal story"

Amy Rezak, trauma surgeon at Brigham and Women's and featured on Boston Med, went to Ross Univ in the Caribbean.

Another "anecdotal story"

Amy Rezak, trauma surgeon at Brigham and Women's and featured on Boston Med, went to Ross Univ in the Caribbean.

Those who graduated from the Carib in the past were OK, its the new grads and current students that are having trouble. I see so many people who graduated from Ross in the past 2-3 years having big time problems matching, and are doing 3 years of prelim surgery because they cannot match. I work with several attendings who went to Ross and they are excellent doctors, and they had no trouble matching to competitive specialties in the past. Note, they are now attendings so they have been out of Ross for a while now.

It seems that Ross will take anyone who is willing to pay the tuition even if the school knows that this person has no chance of making it through. It went from a school that took people who were just slightly below what was needed to get into an american md/do school to a school that is just looking to make $.

I have mentioned this in a previous thread, but I have also been warned by current Ross students that the place is going down the tubes.

It seems like everyone has run into a successful doctor who has graduated from the Caribbean...all that would ever mean is that you don't have as large of a chance of running into the majority/unsuccessful ones because they aren't working as doctors. The match statistics tell the true story. Shoutout to HockeyDr.

Last edited:
Are you aware that whenever I get a package of plain M&Ms, I make it my duty to continue the strength and robustness of the candy as a species. To this end, I hold M&M duels.

Taking two candies between my thumb and forefinger, I apply pressure, squeezing them together until one of them cracks and splinters. That is the “loser,” and I eat the inferior one immediately. The winner gets to go another round.

I have found that, in general, the brown and red M&Ms are tougher, and the newer blue ones are genetically inferior. I have hypothesized that the blue M&Ms as a race cannot survive long in the intense theater of competition that is the modern candy and snack-food world. Greens are set aside in a Brandy Snifter, both in homage to rockers of old2, and for small amounts of self indulgence3 as the championship is underway.

Occasionally I will get a mutation, a candy that is misshapen, or pointier, or flatter than the rest. Almost invariably this proves to be a weakness, but on very rare occasions it gives the candy extra strength. In this way, the species continues to adapt to its environment.

When I reach the end of the pack, I am left with one M&M, the strongest of the herd. Since it would make no sense to eat this one as well, I pack it neatly in an envelope and send it to M&M Mars, A Division of Mars, Inc., Hackettstown, NJ 17840-1503 U.S.A., along with a 3×5 card reading, “Please use this M&M for breeding purposes.”

This week they wrote back to thank me, and sent me a coupon for a free 1/2 pound bag of plain M&Ms. I consider this “grant money.” I have set aside the weekend for a grand tournament. From a field of hundreds, we will discover the True Champion.

There can be only one.

This is why I asked if there was a way to "favorite" certain posters and be alerted whenever they post without having to remember to view their post history every few days. Tabascosauce is my reason.

Are you aware that whenever I get a package of plain M&Ms, I make it my duty to continue the strength and robustness of the candy as a species. To this end, I hold M&M duels.

Taking two candies between my thumb and forefinger, I apply pressure, squeezing them together until one of them cracks and splinters. That is the “loser,” and I eat the inferior one immediately. The winner gets to go another round.

I have found that, in general, the brown and red M&Ms are tougher, and the newer blue ones are genetically inferior. I have hypothesized that the blue M&Ms as a race cannot survive long in the intense theater of competition that is the modern candy and snack-food world. Greens are set aside in a Brandy Snifter, both in homage to rockers of old2, and for small amounts of self indulgence3 as the championship is underway.

Occasionally I will get a mutation, a candy that is misshapen, or pointier, or flatter than the rest. Almost invariably this proves to be a weakness, but on very rare occasions it gives the candy extra strength. In this way, the species continues to adapt to its environment.

When I reach the end of the pack, I am left with one M&M, the strongest of the herd. Since it would make no sense to eat this one as well, I pack it neatly in an envelope and send it to M&M Mars, A Division of Mars, Inc., Hackettstown, NJ 17840-1503 U.S.A., along with a 3×5 card reading, “Please use this M&M for breeding purposes.”

This week they wrote back to thank me, and sent me a coupon for a free 1/2 pound bag of plain M&Ms. I consider this “grant money.” I have set aside the weekend for a grand tournament. From a field of hundreds, we will discover the True Champion.

There can be only one.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

This qualifies as my favorite post of all time on SDN

There can be only one.

:bow:

:love:

There can be only one.

Read a version of this a year ago somewhere online. It's pretty amusing.

There can be only one.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

But I've already seen it here, here, here, here, and here.

There can be only one.

:laugh: You are so funny...

Taking two candies between my thumb and forefinger, I apply pressure, squeezing them together until one of them cracks and splinters. That is the "loser," and I eat the inferior one immediately. The winner gets to go another round.

When I reach the end of the pack, I am left with one M&M, the strongest of the herd. Since it would make no sense to eat this one as well, I pack it neatly in an envelope and send it to M&M Mars, A Division of Mars, Inc., Hackettstown, NJ 17840-1503 U.S.A., along with a 3×5 card reading, "Please use this M&M for breeding purposes."

This week they wrote back to thank me, and sent me a coupon for a free 1/2 pound bag of plain M&Ms. I consider this "grant money." I have set aside the weekend for a grand tournament. From a field of hundreds, we will discover the True Champion.

There can be only one.

My first thought: Are you swapping hands between rounds? Otherwise perhaps the strength of your left vs right hand plays a role.
:whoa: