Thoughts on Bowling Green State and General Grad Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMajorUndergrad18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!!

Since I started my sophomore year this year, I have started to look at potential future graduate schools. I know it is probably too earlier to start looking at graduate schools but I would like as much of a head start as possible so that I know what grades to strive for and to be competitive for potential schools. Now onto my questions!!

1) Is Bowling Green State a reputable university for industrial-organizational psychology? If not, what programs would you suggest I look into?
2) Is it true that it is easier to get into Midwestern graduate schools due to the fact they aren't really well-known? (someone I talked to once said its easier getting into a lesser known Midwestern school than a expensive well-known eastern school)?
3) What should I look for in a good industrial-organizational psychology program?
4) Any advice on how I could make myself competitive for I/O psych programs?

Thank you everyone for all the support on SDN and I look forward to hear back from all of you guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

BGSU is solid for IO. Also look into Michigan State University and U of Minnesota as good programs in the Midwest. As for #2, not necessarily. Places in big cities get more apps because people want to live in NYC/Boston/Etc, but places like MSU get more quality applications.

Thanks WisNeuro. Do you know what types of applied jobs i could possibly have with a phd in i/o?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks WisNeuro. Do you know what types of applied jobs i could possibly have with a phd in i/o?

As an informal poll of a few friends of mine who graduated from the MSU IO program, professor within a business school, consultant to corporations, professor at a different I/O program, and a statistician.

If you want to go into and be successful in IO, you better like stats. And by that, I mean, much more than just regressions and anovas. Get ready for some HLM and such.